Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

True story, despite being a yank i used the day Thatcher died as an excuse to celebrate/drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

The amount of math you have to take to get an econ degree is hilariously small, especially given how complex many of the problems involving money are compared to items in the physical world that engineers or physicists deal with. Taking something an economist says about the economy to heart is usually like putting stock in your tarot reading aunt's opinions on nutrition. Economics is an arena for soft brained people to sit in hoping some salesman active in the economy comes by and picks them to be their fall guy or jester while they go about robbing people using some variation on the rounding off scheme from Superman 3.

I mean I wouldn't necessarily go that far but this is closer to the truth than most people realize and tbh the amount of math that is in economics that is just equations straight lifted from hard sciences because "well if it works there it must work the same here" is hysterical really.

Econ is a new as gently caress field of study relative to many others and there's a whole lot we don't know. Hell until relatively recently economists figured humans were more or less rational actors which is ofc totally wrong.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Toadvine posted:

Don't worry, asymmetric warfare abroad has illustrated that there is always a low tech wrench to throw in the complex machine.

An example at home: everybody having a cheap camera phone has been a tremendous boon to highlighting police abusing their authority. For all their resources and tactical gear they still have to contend with video records and instant Facebook streaming shining a light on their poo poo.

Things can and will continue to deteriorate but we're a fightin species that works well in groups, this tenacity will always benefit the oppressed class

gently caress yeah can't wait to attach a home-made missle launcher to my toyota

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Toadvine posted:

Don't worry, asymmetric warfare abroad has illustrated that there is always a low tech wrench to throw in the complex machine.

An example at home: everybody having a cheap camera phone has been a tremendous boon to highlighting police abusing their authority. For all their resources and tactical gear they still have to contend with video records and instant Facebook streaming shining a light on their poo poo.

Things can and will continue to deteriorate but we're a fightin species that works well in groups, this tenacity will always benefit the oppressed class

lol a cop across the street from me countered this by slamming a college girl into the pavement and throwing her cellphone into the street.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Psycho Society posted:

lol a cop across the street from me countered this by slamming a college girl into the pavement and throwing her cellphone into the street.

i bet someone else still filmed it tho

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Yea it could be a technical if it ever came to outright armed conflict (it won't), it could be your own drone with a net attached, or spray painting the camera lens on a police bot, or sustained whistle blowing and leaks from sympathetic actors within these nation/corporation behemoths.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

but what happens when you steal all the rich money and it turns out there isnt enough to go around after all?

You wake up from that beautiful, beautiful dream with a big ol boner, Mr Speaker, and get to work making your kegger fantasies a reality.

The Management posted:

Hi, I'm the rich. On behalf of myself and others like me, I'd like a say a few words. First, we think that this approach is misguided. There have always been rich people and there always will be. Just because we have better stuff than you doesn't mean you can't have a decent life. We don't really care either way, but it's really not up to us what happens to your life. Hell, you can make money and join us.

Here's the thing, though. Anything we give you will just lead you to demand more things. If we give you healthcare you will want basic income, affordable housing, good public transportation, improvements to public education, free college and daycare, vacations, limited working hours, etc. So we're just going to go ahead and say no right now. If you insist on going ahead with your plan to eat the rich, we will shut off payment systems and banks nationwide. We will stop all deliveries of power sources and food. Some of you are going to have enough cash on hand to feed your family for a week. Most of you won't, especially when the prices spike. I assure you that the flesh of the rich will not be sufficient to feed all of you. Then you will get to experience supply and demand first hand when a hundred people fight for the last can of beans in the supermarket they just trashed. Ever watch the walking dead? It will be kind of like that except with less food. We will be watching it live from Switzerland surrounded by an army of mercenaries.

In conclusion, you can eat some of us. The rest of us and our money will be safe far away from you. And when you're done ripping each other apart for rat meat, gasoline, and potable water, our soldiers will walk through, clean up the survivors and enslave your children. Just something to keep in mind.

Are you saying poors are like the mouse in If You Give A Mouse A Cookie?

a misanthrope posted:

nah man just kill them. this isn't something we're doing for enjoyment. it's a necessary duty like taking out the trash. of course you're allowed to feel satisfaction, like the contentment of knowing you maintain a clean and tidy home

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Psycho Society posted:

Holy poo poo I hope she got paid.

I assume this was somewhere in America

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Corporate
Jul 7, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Are you saying poors are like the mouse in If You Give A Mouse A Cookie?

poors are like the mouse in cookie clicker because they are a tool to be worn to the bone by their handlers in an ultimately meaningless pursuit of exponential wealth accumulation

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Toadvine posted:

Yea it could be a technical if it ever came to outright armed conflict (it won't), it could be your own drone with a net attached, or spray painting the camera lens on a police bot, or sustained whistle blowing and leaks from sympathetic actors within these nation/corporation behemoths.

i want one of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eocnj-q_cjA

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
What's the realistic feasibility of just getting a bunch of people to ISIS themselves at the New York Stock Exchange or at various CEOs offices, in a coordinated manner.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

hello NSA we are just joking. this is a comedy forum! look here is a funny pug pls do not put me in guantanamo bay

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
it's in our long term interests that someone like trump who is so reviled attempts to push through some heinous laws after a terror/cyber attack. The public awareness and push back would be far more significant than if it were during a more charismatic presidency ahem :obama:

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The real story here is that people continue buying Mercedes Benzes even though they are a scumbag company that makes subpar products.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Sheep-Goats posted:

The amount of math you have to take to get an econ degree is hilariously small, especially given how complex many of the problems involving money are compared to items in the physical world that engineers or physicists deal with. Taking something an economist says about the economy to heart is usually like putting stock in your tarot reading aunt's opinions on nutrition. Economics is an arena for soft brained people to sit in hoping some salesman active in the economy comes by and picks them to be their fall guy or jester while they go about robbing people using some variation on the rounding off scheme from Superman 3.

You don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about.

https://medium.com/the-physics-of-finance/arrogant-physicists-do-they-think-economics-is-easy-b91a9e6ee184#.wm74pkpbw

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

It's funny and sad reading this thread because Americans are the laziest, least principled people on the planet, and they will allow the ultra-rich and political elite piss and poo poo all over them with only the occasional Facebook post as their sole form of protest. By the time there's enough of a desire among the American people to rise up and assert themselves, it will be far, far too late.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Time_pants posted:

It's funny and sad reading this thread because Americans are the laziest, least principled people on the planet, and they will allow the ultra-rich and political elite piss and poo poo all over them with only the occasional Facebook post as their sole form of protest. By the time there's enough of a desire among the American people to rise up and assert themselves, it will be far, far too late.

Corporations are supporting socially progressive causes because they realized it gave a temporary, slight amount of competitive advantage to do so, so they're good now. What was that about stagnant wages and benefits and increasingly long hours and systematic destruction of workers' rights?

Actually that reminds me, the company I work for does the closer parking for pregnant women thing, and the signage for it does the "Parking for future employee (and their mother)" thing, trying to be cute. Yes, current employee, you are an afterthought. Promise your children to the corporate lord!

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 26, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Time_pants posted:

Who wants to help me stomp this bitch out?!!!!

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Maybe you should read the article instead of just linking it because it's basically a list of times when people with actual quantitative abilities (in this article "physicists") came into econ blind and outshone the residents despite supposedly having to struggle with new material. And a guy with a physics BA has maybe half the range of quantitative skills of someone with a math BA, maybe a fourth the ability to get a computer to do work for him as a comp sci BA.

Go look at the list of Nobel Laureates in Econ from the last 20 years or so and tell me what they got their undergrad degrees in. Here's a hint: not loving econ.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ice Blue Mink posted:

Yeah but the private security belong to the poor class, and will eat the rich guy they're supposed to be protecting. And then they'll take his stuff.

No that's why you create a middle class of well indoctrinated, trusted servants

Seriously you guys aee real rookies ar this

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Lmao the American poor can't even get out to vote for candidates that are in their own interest, what makes you think they're ever going to take to the streets in armed insurrection? Half of people didn't bother to vote, and half of those who did (mostly poor uneducated whites) voted for loving trump.

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot

The Management posted:

Lmao the American poor can't even get out to vote for candidates that are in their own interest, what makes you think they're ever going to take to the streets in armed insurrection? Half of people didn't bother to vote, and half of those who did (mostly poor uneducated whites) voted for loving trump.

Yes, but let me tell you another important fact in this matter. Bernie would've won.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Voting doesn't matter why would people ever do that?

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
i think a lot did vote their main interest, saying :flipoff: to someone

even if they are just looking in a mirror

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Nooner posted:

Rich people are good and look out for our best interests

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Hardawn posted:

i think a lot did vote their main interest, saying :flipoff: to someone

even if they are just looking in a mirror

it's like someone going to flip you the bird and in the process they step into an open sewer manhole. i guess those poor white people owned everyone real good :lol:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Econ requires a lot of math don't get me wrong and it's deffo hard depending on what you're talking about - but a lot of the stuff that we've taken as a given is turning out to be false and based on entirely shakey premises that were assumed and never rigorously examined.

For example there's an equation wrt quantity theory of money where 'MV = PT'

Then Freidman picked that up and went "AHA" nm that it was an extreme simplification of something pretty drat complex and then came up with MV=PQ

but uh that first dude just based it on the physics gas equation PV = RT. There were no long years of experimentation and poring over data sheets to come up with MV=PT

A looot of the economists back like in 1700/1800 thought they could improve their discipline by replacing crude approximations and hypothesis with equations just straight taken from hard sciences. That doesn't mean that everything is bunk at all, it just means economics is a relatively new field and we're discovering that some things we took for a given are just not so. Again for example the idea of people as rational actors was popular even up until just a couple decades ago. Still is today really among some circles.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 26, 2017

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Blue Train posted:

Who wants to help me stomp this bitch out?!!!!

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
You ever try talking to the average person about basic income? We're going to starve to death fighting over scraps before we figure out that spreading the wealth is a good idea. And we will deserve it (in a broad sense, not as individuals, cuz God knows there are people out there trying to make a better world).

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Average people suck, can we eat them too?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

a misanthrope posted:

this coming round of automation is different than the industrial revolution. it will take jobs at a much higher rate than new ones are created, and those few newly created jobs will favor those who can get the appropriate education. the poor and anyone who has just a high school degree will be left in the dust, for good. min. wage jobs will not be a thing anymore

Exactly why we need to transition to a post-scarcity social model. Everyone gets a guaranteed minimum standard of living provided at zero cost by tireless, efficient machines.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh no Applewhite, you're tempting misanthrope to break out his deus ex conspiracies.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Poor people get mad about wealth redistribution because they honestly think they will have money taken from them, idiots

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Also people being proud of struggling and considering it a virtue, morons

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blue Train posted:

Poor people get mad about wealth redistribution because they honestly think they will have money taken from them, idiots

No they think they will somehow be rich one day through hard work and will THEN have money taken from them.

Or they have like one successful person close to them or in heir family who bitches about poor people taking money from them all the time and this influences them even more than their own life experience because rich people must know what they're talking about since they're rich and thus obviously intelligent!

e: idiot morons the lot of them

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

*sells dope*

poo poo it's hard out here you gotta hustle

*gets arrested for possession with intent, does 3 years. Can't vote because felony*

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
guys what if you got rich how would feel if you got ate

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
(Macro) Economics is not a science. It has no testable and falsifiable theories. Strong mathematical basis will help, but fundamentally it is just guessing and then coming up with an explanation for why things didn't come out the way you expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Exactly why we need to transition to a post-scarcity social model. Everyone gets a guaranteed minimum standard of living provided at zero cost by tireless, efficient machines.

we could do that but instead we'll continue to vote against our interests and let the 1% destroy society and our modern standard of living in the pursuit of all the money

• Locked thread