Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

General Dog posted:

The way I see it, the rich are extremely rich, but the poor really aren't that poor when you compare it to most of the world, and human history. When has there ever been a civilization with such plenty that its poorest citizens are all fat?

we didn't have fast food and cheetos for most of human history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

General Dog posted:

The way I see it, the rich are extremely rich, but the poor really aren't that poor when you compare it to most of the world, and human history. When has there ever been a civilization with such plenty that its poorest citizens are all fat?

That's sort of like the fallacy of false privation. According to a majority of studies quality of life in America continues to increase until income exceeds $60k where the delta flatlines. I think if a lot of people could have a better quality of life with little-to-no expense to others then we should make steps towards that reality.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

uber_stoat posted:

we didn't have fast food and cheetos for most of human history.

Yeah, most of human history sucked.

Just pretend I posted that Fox News graphic about 97% of poor people having a refrigerator, but as an unironic talking point.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

General Dog posted:

Yeah, most of human history sucked.

Just pretend I posted that Fox News graphic about 97% of poor people having a refrigerator, but as an unironic talking point.

lol

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

General Dog posted:

actually being fat is a sign of poverty because you can't afford food that isnt full of corn syrup and you dont have free time to exercise because you are standing in a drive-thru all day

and just because the poor dont live with farm animals anymore that doesnt mean there isnt a problem

a misanthrope fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 27, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

a misanthrope posted:

actually being fat is a sign of poverty because you can't afford food that isnt full of corn syrup and you dont have free time to exercise because you are standing in a drive-thru all day

Maybe they should spend less time standing in a drive thru and more time working in a drive-thru. Then you get the food, the money, and the exercise.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

General Dog posted:

Maybe they should spend less time standing in a drive thru and more time working in a drive-thru. Then you get the food, the money, and the exercise.

Then you get the women

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Hate the loving fat carts you should not enable fat fucks argh

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

This guy seemingly eats the extremely rich, in great quantities

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I'm technically on the fringes of being poor. I make 21000 a year pay 900 a month in rent work 48 hors a week and have no debt because I didn't go to collage. I also have an OK savings just in case.

I cut it pretty close on my budget some months but have enough money to treat myself to a video game every once in a while and go out to a restaurant with my friends.

My life isn't wonderful but I'll live.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

a misanthrope posted:

lolwat

There are plenty of foods you can buy that won't make you fat and which costs less than any fast food crap.
Have you ever considered rice? pasta? chicken? Plenty of vegetables such as cabbage, potatoes and carrots are dirt cheap as well.

I cannot even.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

hey welcome to the show! posted:

I'm technically on the fringes of being poor. I make 21000 a year pay 900 a month in rent work 48 hors a week and have no debt because I didn't go to collage. I also have an OK savings just in case.

I cut it pretty close on my budget some months but have enough money to treat myself to a video game every once in a while and go out to a restaurant with my friends.

My life isn't wonderful but I'll live.

You are poor as gently caress friend

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

12k/single person is poverty level you aren't even twice that

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot

Blue Train posted:

12k/single person is poverty level you aren't even twice that

Wouldn't under 12k be the poor as gently caress line then?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I live paycheck to paycheck work 48 hours a week good thing I'm not poor

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ice Blue Mink posted:

Wouldn't under 12k be the poor as gently caress line then?

You are being bamboozled friend

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

lolwat

There are plenty of foods you can buy that won't make you fat and which costs less than any fast food crap.
Have you ever considered rice? pasta? chicken? Plenty of vegetables such as cabbage, potatoes and carrots are dirt cheap as well.

I cannot even.

where do you live? that poo poo is all more expensive than fast food in america

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
*is extremely poor person living in urban area*
*works two jobs*
"I can't wait to go to the grocery store that does not exist and buy the ingredients for the tasty fresh salad I am going to make when I get home from work at midnight!"

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

a misanthrope posted:

Rice pasta and chicken are all on par with fast food

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Argh pull up thread

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

This isn't about eating vegetables or fast food it's about eating the rich

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

confession: ive never eaten a rich person or a vegetable

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

a misanthrope posted:

Quick google-fu gave me these numbers based on average prices of food in US.

Now, I don't actually eat fast food myself so I don't know the prices but I highly doubt fast food is cheaper than that.

uber_stoat posted:

*is extremely poor person living in urban area*
*works two jobs*
"I can't wait to go to the grocery store that does not exist and buy the ingredients for the tasty fresh salad I am going to make when I get home from work at midnight!"

Now that's a valid argument.
Getting overweight because you don't have time to make food is plausible. Getting overweight because you don't have the money to buy proper food is just ridiculous.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

a misanthrope posted:

confession: ive never eaten a rich person or a vegetable

I ate Carrie Fisher, sort of a twofer.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

here are some vegetables to contemplate. I can recommend cubed potatoes slow cooked in the blood of a billionaire.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

Now, I don't actually eat fast food myself so I don't know the prices but I highly doubt fast food is cheaper than that.

Getting overweight because you don't have time to make food is plausible. Getting overweight because you don't have the money to buy proper food is just ridiculous.

You are extremely dumb

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Genderfluent posted:

You are extremely dumb

A jack of all trades but a master of dumb

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I'll take a ceo with a side order of cfo please.

And a diet executive director.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Genderfluent posted:

You are extremely dumb

no u

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
What's the deal with people getting upset about wealth distribution in America but not knowing even the first step to take in order to rectify it? :jerry:

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jack Trades posted:

Time is money friend

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lmao. It takes 30 seconds of googling to find out that those numbers are total bollocks.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

oh i get it

you're british

:ms:

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot

a misanthrope posted:

oh i get it

you're british

Do they even have any rich people?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

a misanthrope posted:

oh i get it

you're british

I've never set foot on British Isles.
Sorry about offending your fatty sensibilities.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Ice Blue Mink posted:

Do they even have any rich people?

the pedophiles

polysynth
Dec 12, 2006

rock out
oi mate listen me an posh spice dine on a tenner everynight u yanks have no excuse !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Where in the gently caress can you buy 4 cans of coke for one dollar, let alone 1200 calories worth of chips?

What a bullshit graphic.

• Locked thread