Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

The Management posted:

There used to be a person who delivers ice to your house to put in your ice box. I say smash your refrigerator and we could get those jobs back.

The last round of automation/outsourcing was justified by claims that the service and retail sectors could absorb the displaced manufacturing workers. Turns out trading your full time well paid manufacturing job for part time poo poo retail work isn't so great. Even if things eventually balance out, I bet they won't, we've already thrown entire communities and several generations under the bus.

skeletonotherkin fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

This kind of "lol just learn Econ 101!" argument falls flat when the results of the last 20 years have been what they are. there's no guarantee that the new jobs will be as good as the old ones.

there's no guarantee that all lost jobs will be replaced by the new whatsoever either, that's just historically what has happened but that doesn't make it scientific fact and any real economist wouldn't be so quick to make any guarantees like that about anything.

I love how neo liberals destroyed organized labor, American and British manufacturing, and then profited off of sweat shop labor in the third world, and all the while claim to be the greatest philanthropists man kind has ever known.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

True story, despite being a yank i used the day Thatcher died as an excuse to celebrate/drink.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

Lies.
Western middle-class people are the most oppressed.

Your avatar is you irl right?

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

I remember seeing some lovely beat rear end pickup with "part of the one percent" spray painted on it tearing up and down the interstate near my house about four years ago. Thanks to this thread I've discovered that such mentalities are still alive and well.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Blue Train posted:

It was prolly ironic or he meant the white trash motorcycle one percent

I live in the south, I promise you it was a sincere reaction to occupy. I'm sure the actual vehicle wasn't the guys daily driver, just some rust bucket they picked up to use as a mobile billboard.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Blue Train posted:

A jack of all trades but a master of dumb

:chanpop:

skeletonotherkin fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 27, 2017

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Pawn 17 posted:

The global median salary is somewhere around $1500 per year, so you are rich as gently caress. To be the top 1% you only need to make $34,000.

My nigga have you heard of Maoist Third Worldism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Ice Blue Mink posted:

lol Jobs in both child and senior care have fancy titles like Director but only pay like 18 an hour.

Its always depressing to find out people in such positions only make a couple more dollars an hour than me, and I'm doing unskilled physical labor.

Eat the rich.

• Locked thread