Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
These awesome combined LPs convinced me to pick this game up at full price, because I'm dumb and missed the sale. I've been playing along with the Von Carsteins on Hard, and am running into a pretty big roadblock in that Imperial peasants don't seem to like me for some reason. I help myself to one meager province, build every order/corruption building I can and prance a bunch of heroes around to push corruption further, and public order is still deteriorating with a full stack hanging out in the capital. I'll probably break even on order soon once the buildings get upgraded, but corruption is hitting diminishing returns and this seems like a pretty unsustainable way to conquer the world. Any advice? Should I just be subjugating people and giving them their towns back? Can you even give people towns in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
The big counter-modifier is "local populace". At the moment I only have one influential hero, with my other hero specced as a dedicated caster (and because I am, as stated above, dumb, I skipped the Mad Count building to go straight for the proper vampire crypts). I have indeed helped myself to the entire province, and I am indeed researching the hell out of the Book of Blood.

I'm currently 65% corruption trending to 89%, with the public currently orderly even with no military presence (assuming moving the heroes away doesn't tank it too much). Could be I exaggerated the problem, though I'm not looking forward to having to spend this long conquering each province. Having only two provinces on Turn 44 is bad feels, especially where the target is 15 or 20.

Thanks very much. I'll try being more aggressive and just dealing with the rebels. That seems like the Warhammer way.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
I was sort of hoping for a lesson in "how to not get hosed by those omnipresent dwarf bastards", but watching them get beaten up by Greenskins seems like a decent second prize. I also totally underestimated the value of keeping Templehof around as a pet - I missed that you could assign war coordination targets. Godspeed, our filthy cheating AI friend.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
My issue is less beating them on the open field and more that they can strike into my heartland at pretty much any time. And while I'm trying to slowly wade over to their towns through the mountains, another one will likely declare and make my life miserable elsewhere. Compact isn't compact enough to deal with this crap, even with three stacks. Could be I should forego vassalizing Templehof to avoid antagonizing them and just bribe the hell out of every dwarf faction I share a border with, or maybe I should just swallow my pride and drop to Hard mode until I have a better feel for the campaign's broad strokes.

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 10, 2017

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Interesting. In the past they've been relatively on-the-ball about recolonizing , but maybe I haven't been insistent enough about striking deeper. I'll try to be more stubborn about bringing the Dwarfs low before directing my attention elsewhere and funneling the raid money into Sylvania.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Oh, that would definitely explain it. All the guides have been saying "raze the dwarfs' border towns so you have a buffer zone", and it hasn't appeared to result in a buffer zone so far. Dwarf genocide it is.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Trujillo: First person ever to say "we should cut the dwarfs some slack to preserve the balance of power with the greenskins"?

koolkevz666 posted:

This LP and The Empire run has convinced me to buy this game as soon as I can. It looks like a hell of a lot of fun and after Rome 2 I could use a fun Total War game.
I'm adoring this game so far, despite my constant "bleeegh, I don't understand how to adapt to stuff" complaints in-thread. I got past the Dwarf bottleneck by being less of an idiot about "hey, movement types are actually useful", and am currently wasting copious amounts of time trying to deal with the Norscans force-marching around my realm constantly while I can't engage them (because you can't engage while force-marching yourself, which is sort of needed to keep up with a force-marching army). Chaos Wave the Second just started, and I fully anticipate they'll pick my kingdom apart by sheer number of stacks. I'm seriously considering breaking and downloading some campaign balance/increased move within your own territory mods.

quote:

Karak Hirn is easily the most annoying faction in the entire game. If you are the Elves, Vampires or Empire they will declare war on you just because you happened to share a continent with them, same with the Bretonnian factions by the midgame. I always make a point of razing them.
In my most recent Campaign, Karak Hirn declared on me when I had no other enemies and they had one settlement left. I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 14, 2017

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
EDIT: I am a dumb person.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
I'm very sorry to hear that - it was a high quality LP, and I was very much enjoying it. Still, I'd understand if you didn't want to run through the whole campaign to turn 70 again to pick it up again.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
The Chaos invasions are always a huge roadblock for me as vampires. No stationary targets to attack, a big east-west border they can hit me along, and a foe that's willing to retreat out of your terrain if you bring too much force. Eventually I just started conquering Kislev so I could intercept them at the Wastes and abusing ambush to stop them prancing all over the place.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

ZearothK posted:

You appear to be somewhat overstretched, but I tend to take the campaign more slowly anyway.
In my experience, being overstretched is pretty useful once you develop a healthy indifference for your provinces' well-being. If you're not at war with a bunch of people, they give you juicy cash from beating up rebels (and, y'know, actual income), and you can funnel that money back into the core provinces you actually need to protect. Provinces where you control the capital can last a remarkably long time even while being besieged by rebels, and if you do start getting invaded you can just lose them. If the AI doesn't call you on it, you can build the closer ones up when you have spare cash and put yourself way ahead. If you're not running up against the size limit to trigger Chaos invasions, I haven't seen much of a reason not to overextend. Maybe that's why my diplomacy always sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Oh, Kislev. So deeply, deeply inept.

I'm looking forward to seeing how a skilled player deals with a Chaos invasion when they have a big east-west border. In my experience, the Northmen are very good at plonking a full Siege Attacker stack wherever is least convenient at any given time. On the bright side, after the collapse of both the Empire and Brettonia, it seems like smooth sailing once the unholy (well, differently-unholy. The wrong kind of unholy) hordes are beaten back.

• Locked thread