Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Night10194 posted:

"MANFRED VON CARSTEIN YOU WILL COME DOWN HERE THIS INSTANT! And then you will go to your room. Betraying your father and getting him killed is a 100 years grounding, young man."

Followed by lecturing about 'What happened to your hair, you used to dress so well' and 'Please stop trying to sound like you chew gravel, it isn't fooling anyone.'

Poor Manfred. He went to so much effort to become the true heir of the Von Carstein name. And then the devs decided Momma and Poppa belonged in the game.

The character's not awful! He's the kid who decided he was going to claw his way to the height of the Midnight Aristocracy never mind how many more powerful vampires he'd have to kill to do it, including dear ol' daddy. He studied his books, he backstabbed when appropriate, he put his hopelessly crazy murderbeast of an older brother in charge for a couple centuries to give him cover for safer backstabbing, and as of modern day is the first vampire since Vlad to make a compelling case re: being the actual Count of Sylvania.

Konrad claimed the title, of course, but outside of Konrad's earshot he was considered more a roaming patch of hazardous terrain than any kind of actual rival for power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Yup. Mind, border security is a good thing to have, dwarves are a pain in the rear end for the VC.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kanthulhu posted:

What about halflings? future DLC race?

It would be amazing to do a world conquest with a halfling Legendary Lord.

The Warhammer halflings are notable for two things: one, they have a vote for Emperor, courtesy of Ludwig the Fat being notably greedy even for an emperor, two, they have some very good vampire hunters, on the grounds that since they border Sylvania they get an awful lot of practice.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kanthulhu posted:

Do the halflings even have an army listing with heroes and stuff on the tabletop game?

They had a couple of random units, among which a soup catapult. Their single most-existing thing was a Regiment of Reknown: Lumpin Croop's Fighting Cocks, a group of adventure-seeking halflings accidentally recruited by the noted con man and petty thief Lumpin Croop as an excuse to avoid a barfight, saying he knew of a place where halflings of martial skill would be showered with gold and with feasting to avoid getting the tar beaten out of him. Every week, Lumpin tries to sneak away from his adventuring band, and his men spend a few days tracking their boss down on his latest "training exercise." Every time he tries to lead his men away from the Tilean mercenary recruiters he promised would make them richer and fatter, they find themselves in a strategically useful position for a fight he did not know was happening, redoubling their respect for his initiative and thirst for battle.

After a few years of Lumpin desperately trying to avoid living up to his words, every last one of them is an expert tracker, and a fine marksman, with a collective talent for appearing in places everyone including their captain, would very much prefer they not be. And man, at the rates they're being paid now, IMAGINE what they'll be paid when they make it to Tilea!

(mechanically speaking they were cheap skirmish archers with stealth and vanguard deployment.)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

White Coke posted:

Dark magic isn't Death magic. Dark magic is when the eight winds get mushed together, or never separate when they come out of the polar gates. It's the most powerful and most unstable type of magic.

Somewhere, a faint "heh" sound occurs in proximity to a mummified frog's corpse at that first part, and a dozen Norse sorcerers aligned with Tzeentch start vomiting highly acidic rainbows at the second.

That's definitely what the Dark Elves who invented it say is the case, though, and the acolytes of Nagash, whose necromancy was based on Dark Magic he proceeded to cut with the arcane secrets of the Mortuary Cult of Nehekara (tomb kings before they were tomb kings) are inclined to agree.

Fun vampire trivia: all Warhammer vampires descend from a queen of Nehekara who a couple centuries after they killed Nagash the first time went through his stuff, found something marked Elixir of Eternal Life and chugged it before she noticed she was in the Failed Experiments section. Still, worked out okay in the long term.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

JT Jag posted:

Classic Lawful Evil vs. Chaotic Evil, eh.

Yeah, one of the things that people are eyeing for game 2 is a counterpart to a thing we will see shortly.

Fans of the Crusader Kings series will know and fear the Mongol Hordes, who spawn around 1300 and proceed to paint the map from east to west until either Ghengis dies or someone actually manages to stop them. In Warhammer Total War, that part is played by the Legions of Chaos, who spawn in the northeast in a big event called the End Times, and proceed to destroy everything in their paths on their road south. As such, the Dwarves/Orcs, who start in the south, and Brettonia/Wood Elves, who start in the west, can usually safely ignore most of the end of the world, trusting the AI will bleed them before they get anywhere near them.

As such, one of the things that people are hoping will happen is the apocalypse out of the south, Nagash, Father Of Necromancy: He's Back, He's Pissed, And He Brought His Closest Five Million Skeleton Monstrosities With Him.

At the same time as the Chaos invasion from the north, of course, because there are rules

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Calax posted:

Aren't they like DA MVP of the End times though? Basically ruining the good guys plots up until the very end while Orcs and Chaos all get demolished by the Order folk?

much like the protagonists of Atlas Shrugged, they do some amazing work offscreen so the authors didn't have to actually worry about how said things happened

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

How does Chaos Corruption interact with our Vampiric Corruption? Do vampires spreading their own corruption simultaneously decrease the chaos flavor?

It doesn't, they're two entirely separate things. As a result, the worst-case scenario for a Chaos army is to charge into the heart of Vampire Counts territory, and vice versa. The hordes of Chaos have a hard enough time functioning in a place where it doesn't rain blood, fire, and mescaline; adding "the earth itself is dead, and wants the living to join it" is just the cherry on top.

Likewise, our undead legions hate any place the sun shines already. Places where the sun shines 24/e/132, only pausing for lava to erupt from the ground in blasphemous sigils, and any dead bodies lying around became the playthings of the Ruinous Powers before they could hit the ground? Worse. Vampires don't ~do~ holy ground, and when the Northmen come south they bring their gods with 'em.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Precambrian posted:

It would be funny if they hobbled each other, cause there's only so many disgruntled, desperate folks to become cultists, and there's only so many churches to be desecrated. As-is, I picture a peasant who attends the vile rituals of Chaos on Thursday nights and Saturday nights he attends the profane mass of his dark vampiric masters. Not much else going on in the life of a peasant.

In the average game the Essen area really, profoundly sucks by the endgame, yes.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
There's a reason every non-Chaos faction's Long Victory has as a condition "Archaeon Everchosen Is loving Dead"

that guy is a real jerk

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Patience, being willing to give ground, and Banshees working overtime to split them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

marshmallow creep posted:

If Chaos were smart, they would have won already. I always roll my eyes when hearing about how such and such servitor is a "infinitely complex deceiver" or whatever because chaos in practice is too dumb for that.

Also I have never heard of Valten so he must have blanded his way into complete nothing. At this point I feel I have learned a lot about Mannfred and Vlad and the Fay Enchantress and Todbringer and Franz and the Empress of Kislev and a bunch other characters, but this supposed true hero of all goodness has completely escaped my notice.

The important thing to understand about the infinitely complex deceivers is that they are almost to a one servants of Tzeentch. And Tzeentch finds the thought of total victory insufferably boring. If you win, there is nothing left to hope for, so always include an escape hatch for your plot if it looks like it might succeed. One of the only bits of plot behind Archaon(and his 40K counterpart Abbadon) that is any good is the reason they're a danger at all.

They actually give a poo poo.

Nurgle always wins in the end. It's just a question of if he wants to lurch off his several-ton-plague-seeping rear end and try to expedite it a little. Spoiler warning, 999 times out of a thousand the answer is no. Khorne exults in bloodshed, and if victory is achieved there will be a marked downturn in skulls per minute for his sweet throne. Slaanesh, well, take look loving one at Prince Sigvald the Magnificent, Foremost Champion of Slaanesh, and you understand why Slaanesh is not an existential threat. And the second one of Tzeentch's plots looks like it's going to succeed, he will arrange to backstab himself just to keep the game going.

Archaon is dangerous not because he has been blessed by the Chaos Gods- in a 1v1 pretty much any of the Big Four's foremost champions could take him- he's dangerous because he's actively rejected their most potent blessings in the name of retaining his desire to accomplish their goal, and managed to tell them no without being killed for his insolence.

• Locked thread