Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Its 1914, and the world is about to go to war. We shall take AGEOD's WWI game and see how it holds up! If you have never played an AGEOD game, they are odd strategy games where the same engine is bent to the will of every period from Rome to WWI.
Each turn covers two weeks, and the whole campaign is 107 turns long. We shall begin before the troops are even raised and fight on until one side surrenders. (or, like the 30 years war, until its obvious I've won but the game refuses to realize this.)

First we need to pick a side. I'm going to try and make this one a bit more interactive, as it has a lot more interesting events you can choose from.

The Eastern Entente

This is a fancy way of saying Russia and the minor Baltic states – massed manpower, terrible generals and troops. Its Russia, it never changes whatever time period you play! (at least in games, history may beg to differ.

The Western Entente

Allied to Russia, France will support her, and it is very likley that the British will join them (despite what King George has said to the Kaisers brother.)
France has the Elan, Britain has the international Empire on which to call.

The Central Powers

Germany is Europe's new superpower, shackled to the corpse of its oldest in the form of Austria-Hungary. The underdogs and the historical losers, they can hope to call the Ottoman Empire into the war (another dying empire.)
They will have to fight a war on two fronts. Which is Always a good idea!

So – who shall we be? Once we have picked a side, I shall do a more detailed post on their situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Western Entente

Tired of Russian & German games, let's have France win for once.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Western Entente

MAXIMUM ELAN :france:

kommy5
Dec 6, 2016
WESTERN ENTENTE

I think we need elan as well. I'd like to see France win this and not end the war a hollowed out husk that'd surrender to the Wehrmacht in a month.

Vote for the West and for France. :france:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Central Powers and then execute Rupprecht as your German war plan.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Eastern Entente

Russia never gets any love in WW1 Letsplays.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Central powers. Let's kill us some Frenchmen.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Central powers. It was a just war to punish the terrorists, and someone just had to join in to spoil the effort.

Miliardo
Dec 3, 2014

Voting for Western Entente. Je suis de Gaulle.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Central Powers!

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
Central powers they might get to much love, but I always play these games to be ahistorical as possible.

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017
Central Powers. Lead the house of Habsburg to victory against the French and the British once more! Oh, and the Hohenzollerns too I guess.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Eastern Entente

because

Ikasuhito posted:

Russia never gets any love in WW1 Letsplays.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

As much as I agree that Russia doesn't get enough love, they unfortunately have a much narrower range of stuff to do than the CP or WE in this game (they don't even get to control the Entente's diplomatic efforts). Plus, playing CP or WE gives you the ability to risk your entire dreadnought fleet on THE DECISIVE BATTLE :black101:

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Central Powers!

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Central Powers

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Central Powers. I suspect you'll get a much better LP from the middle fighting out, plus we will get to see all fronts in action.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Eastern Entente so Grey can know how it feels to be wiped out in mass numbers.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Eastern Entente because I've always felt bad for Czar Nicholas, so maybe if you win the war he can retire to somewhere nice instead of, well, y'know...

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Eastern Entente

Maybe this will finally lure me into bashing my face into AGEOD repeatedly

e; you owe the Russkies after mercilessly ploughing them in WitE

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Central Powers. The Kriegsmarine must be allowed to set sail!

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Central Powers all the way.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Central Powers!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Central Powers, but I wonder if it's actually necessary to fight the Eastern Powers beyond a token effort before they have a civil war forcing them out of action.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Central Powers, but I wonder if it's actually necessary to fight the Eastern Powers beyond a token effort before they have a civil war forcing them out of action.

The Civil War (and other negative events) is triggered via a national morale system that is honestly so jury-rigged and insane that it's actually kind of impressive, but I won't steal Grey's thunder by trying to describe it. Suffice to say, you will need to replicate CP successes against the Eastern Entente for the Civil War to occur.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I have to admit I'm pretty excited to see what kind of janky-rear end systems and mechanics this game uses

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Central Powers !

2 Fronts 2 Furious.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Western Entente

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Eastern Entente

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Central Powers. TO PARIS AND BEYOND! I think in these games the CP are tougher to play - you have to fight on two fronts, you have one decent power and your allies at best are generally weak and you have few options so must be strategically choosy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Eastern Entente

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Central Powers

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

East!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Western!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mittelmächte

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Kavak posted:

Mittelmächte

Bless you.

Central Powers 15
Eastern Entente 8
Western Entente 6

As I expected, the lure of the underdog continues to be strong. To be honest, it will probibly be the most interesting side to play, and giving the AI the stronger side never hurts.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Winning the war as the Entente again would only be really interesting if you could create a different postwar world and watch it play out a little.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
The Western Entente

Come on, do it for FRANCE.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Central powers. We can have democratic reforms afterwards, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Central Powers will k.u.k. the Entente!

• Locked thread