Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
After giving it some thought, invading Switzerland just seem like a terrible idea, as it stretches Germany far too thin. Thus:

German: B, the Moltke Plan
Austria: B, The Kaiser Plan

Together, this is the "Invade Russia" plan: Russia is so weak that Austria can actually fight their troops man-for-man on even terms, and a two front war on Russia could allow Germany the opportunity (depending on how thin the Eastern Entente forces are) to clear the Baltic Sea of coastal guns so that the German navy can actually be used for something.

Once Russia is crippled by the initial blow, Germany can begin trickling more and more people west to put a check on Britain and France, who will eventually arrive in force at what should be a VERY well defended German border. While the Germans hold the line there, Germany can deliver a killing blow to Russia, and then use both ships and rail to move the bulk of the army against the Western Entente, who should be open to a flanking attack somewhere (the exact location depends on where they send most of their troops).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
2B If we cannot have Russia, we will destroy Russia.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

thetruegentleman posted:

After giving it some thought, invading Switzerland just seem like a terrible idea, as it stretches Germany far too thin. Thus:

German: B, the Moltke Plan
Austria: B, The Kaiser Plan

Together, this is the "Invade Russia" plan: Russia is so weak that Austria can actually fight their troops man-for-man on even terms, and a two front war on Russia could allow Germany the opportunity (depending on how thin the Eastern Entente forces are) to clear the Baltic Sea of coastal guns so that the German navy can actually be used for something.

Once Russia is crippled by the initial blow, Germany can begin trickling more and more people west to put a check on Britain and France, who will eventually arrive in force at what should be a VERY well defended German border. While the Germans hold the line there, Germany can deliver a killing blow to Russia, and then use both ships and rail to move the bulk of the army against the Western Entente, who should be open to a flanking attack somewhere (the exact location depends on where they send most of their troops).

That's all well and good, but how many Zerbs will be killed if we follow this plan?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
2A for me. Rush Moscow while still having our head in the game Balkan-wise. Keep up a defensive posture in the West with research focusing on trench warfare and artillery. Let them come to us until they can be attacked in full force.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

TildeATH posted:

That's all well and good, but how many Zerbs will be killed if we follow this plan?

What else are the Bulgarians and Turk's going to be used for?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

TildeATH posted:

2B Austria makes it somewhat clear that they'll be dealt with, just at a later date. If they waste themselves attacking fortified defenses in the mean time, all the better.

Good ball by Dixon
Oct 18, 2012
2B

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

thetruegentleman posted:

2B Austria makes it somewhat clear that they'll be dealt with, just at a later date. If they waste themselves attacking fortified defenses in the mean time, all the better.

We've heard these promises of Zerb blood for years with no actual Zerb blood. I am sick of out-of-touch politicians promising us Death To Zerbs but then invariably bait-and-switching us into killing Russians or Bulgarians. It's not the same.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

TildeATH posted:

We've heard these promises of Zerb blood for years with no actual Zerb blood. I am sick of out-of-touch politicians promising us Death To Zerbs but then invariably bait-and-switching us into killing Russians or Bulgarians. It's not the same.

I think the Bulgarians are on our side this war?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

2B, the Eastern Front is poised to be much more dynamic than the Western Front, therefore it simply makes more sense to knock it out early in order to make gains in the Western Front later.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
4D

If we delay British entry into the war we may be able to knock out France in the first 18 months and we have the advantage at sea with the High Seas fleet vs the French Navy if the Royal Navy remains at port.

AH is an important ally but lacks the elan to drive home an offensive campaign solo and should therefore shield against the Russian bear while the Germany strikes quickly on Paris.

farraday fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 28, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jack2142 posted:

I think the Bulgarians are on our side this war?

Historically Bulgaria didn't join the war until 1915, which means Grey probably has loads of opportunities to drive them into the arms of the Entente.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

TildeATH posted:

What madness is this? Serbia has been a trading partner of the Austro-Hungarian Empire for years, and was only lost because of the French, Russians and Germans to begin with! Hell, they were even ALLIES several decades ago!

Once the French and Russians have been suitably punished for their interference, the Serbians will realize that their success against Bulgaria and the Ottomans was a fluke brought on through foreign money, and not some grand dawning of Serbian supremacy; we can discuss reparations after this.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

2B, overwhelm Russia prior to their mobilization.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

thetruegentleman posted:

...the Serbians will realize that their success [was] not some grand dawning of Serbian supremacy

hah

third fourth fifth rome shall rise again

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
2B seems like the best plan.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Out of curiosity, what were Russia's warplan options?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Gamerofthegame posted:

Out of curiosity, what were Russia's warplan options?

1. Go forward
2. Die
3. ?????
4. Communism

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Let us put an end to the Swiss menace with plan 4D. Austria is to stay on reserve and to move in once the Swiss have slaughtered the waves of Germans and is low on ammo.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
4B We dressed in the dark, and instead of a picklehaube, we covered our balding Prussian pate with our underpants.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

PittTheElder posted:

Historically Bulgaria didn't join the war until 1915, which means Grey probably has loads of opportunities to drive them into the arms of the Entente.

On the flip side I wonder if we can Italy to join our side in the war?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

They had everything to gain from joining the CP and nothing from siding with the Entente except weak promises of negotiating with Serbia for territory. The issue is them staying neutral.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Jack2142 posted:

On the flip side I wonder if we can Italy to join our side in the war?

You can but you basically have to give them the Habsburg family jewels free of charge to even have a shot at it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Current Scores -

1 = 4
2 = 25
3 = 2
4 = 11

A = 3
B = 18
C = 18

D = 5

With a tie, I'm going to have to run this on for another 12 hours!

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Grey Hunter posted:

Current Scores -

1 = 4
2 = 25
3 = 2
4 = 11

A = 3
B = 18
C = 18

D = 5

With a tie, I'm going to have to run this on for another 12 hours!

Tiebreaker should be which of B or C has the most votes from people that also voted 2 imo

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 29, 2017

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

3C

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The Swiss live another day :(

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

HannibalBarca posted:

You can but you basically have to give them the Habsburg family jewels free of charge to even have a shot at it.

Sounds tempting, honestly having Italy flail impotently in the French Alps sounds worth pissing of the AH Empire.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

2B Let's alpha strike focus fire conquer Russia

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
4C Let's make the Swiss Howl! Also time to go after the Serbs and make them pay. I mean it can't be that Russia would ever get her act in gear can it?

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 29, 2017

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
2B

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

4C

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Pitching in to hopefully help break the tie. 2B

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Right, I think I'll call that before some silly buggers vote it back the other way for "drama."

Russia is in for a rough ride!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The CP train is going in dry! :getin:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
What could go wrong?

:v:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Well, there's a lot of Germans helping them out, but I have a feeling we are going to see a whole bunch of dead Austrians. Does this game model the general terribleness of Austro-Hungarian armies? Any danger of Serbia attacking? Though one would hope that defending against Serbia would be a little easier to pull a victory from that than marching all your men into the prepared killing grounds of Serb artillery and then yelling orders at them in a language they don't understand.

e: What does faction alignment mean? Austria-Hungary already is a member of the Central Powers, so if they lose a whole bunch of Central Powers alignment, what does this do? Does it make their troops less effective fighting alongside Germans, does it give a chance that they will drop out and seek separate terms or something?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 29, 2017

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Stealing from the manual -

quote:

High Alignment within a region will give the following benefits:
• You don’t need to garrison Objectives in order to earn VPs.
• The locals will provide you some intelligence as to the enemy’s whereabouts (see p. 61).
• The region will produce more Supply, State Funds, and Resources.
• If the enemy occupies a region loyal to your side without leaving enough of a garrison, its Military Control will gradually shift in your favor and there is a chance that Partisans will appear in the region.

If a region is very hostile to the occupant (10% or less Alignment), non-garrisoned cities may even openly revolt, in which case
an enemy Unit will appear and take control of the city

So we may need to watch the Austrians - although the Germans have balanced out.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Randarkman posted:

Well, there's a lot of Germans helping them out, but I have a feeling we are going to see a whole bunch of dead Austrians. Does this game model the general terribleness of Austro-Hungarian armies? Any danger of Serbia attacking? Though one would hope that defending against Serbia would be a little easier to pull a victory from that than marching all your men into the prepared killing grounds of Serb artillery and then yelling orders at them in a language they don't understand.

Actually, the game had to improve Austria's generals a little bit because the leadership was so utterly terrible in real life: even so, it's very difficult for Austria to beat Serbia due to Serbia's defensive terrain and much better troops. Of course, the opposite is now true as well: if Serbia decides to attack (and they probably will), they'll have to face the same riving crossings and mountains that Austria had to, which will greatly even the odds. Also, as I said before, Austrian troops are roughly the same quality as the Russian troops, only the Russians have vastly more manpower...assuming they have the time to deploy it, which our plan hopes not to give them.

All that said, holding France off might prove difficult, and Britain won't be needed to save the western front, so they might decide to move against the Ottomans, or even the Austrians instead. Even so, this is still a *much* better plan than the "attack the mountainous neutral country while France is lined up at Germany's borders" plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
If Germany doesn't attack Belgium, will Britain even get involved?

• Locked thread