Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Did your U-Boats try to fit the battlecruisers in the line of battle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Yvonmukluk posted:

The Royal Navy is taking no chances with Grey this time.

Fools! It's Grey's surface fleet they need to worry about. They shall sally forth and destroy the British navy one battleship at a time, until they are so overcome with fear that the brits will refuse to even leave port.

And then Grey will lose anyway due to the dumb victory conditions.:v:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Grey Hunter posted:

Hindenburg destroys Rennenkamp's army. Only the faster cavalry are able to flee the battlefield.

Alright either I can't read or Grey can't because it looks to me like you only killed ten thousand men of Rennenkamp's hundred thousand man army.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

TildeATH posted:

Alright either I can't read or Grey can't because it looks to me like you only killed ten thousand men of Rennenkamp's hundred thousand man army.

TEAW battle reports are tricky in that the report will indicate the number of soldiers in the province in the battle report rather than those engaged, I believe.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
it took violating Belgium's sovereignty to get britain in the war in reality, what the gently caress brought them in this time?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

CongoJack posted:

it took violating Belgium's sovereignty to get britain in the war in reality, what the gently caress brought them in this time?

Realistically, the British had basically guaranteed that if the High Seas Fleet sortied, that they would defend the French coastline in the North (the French fleet was responsible for the Mediterranean essentially). So 1) the British government would have felt bound by guarantees to France and 2) the British military establishment would not have been particularly sanguine had the High Seas Fleet sortied against France in the North Sea/English Channel.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

E: ^^^ Also that ^^^

I mean, there was no way they were gonna tolerate German continental hegemony, Belgium was just a convenient excuse. Still, without violating someone's neutrality it doesn't really make sense for them to jump in this early - I think they'd only do that if it was obvious France was starting to lose.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
How'd they blow up so many u-boats?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

CongoJack posted:

Germany and Austria-Hungary starting off a major war might have helped...

Britain becoming involved was pretty much guaranteed, most German military planners gambled on this which is a large part of the reason why they thought little of violating Belgium's neutrality.
Britain had a lot of reason to become involved that didn't involve Belgium. There were existing, though secret and not completely binding, treaties with France and Russia (separate from each other and the British were not privy to the terms of the Franco-Russian alliance. Then there was the British foreign policy approach of generally wanting to prevent any one power from attaining hegemony in Europe, from the late 19th century onwards Germany looked to fit the bill in this regard and the naval arms race that began at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th didn't do much to ease relations. Then there's the fact that the British were very aware of the vulnerabiity of their Empire, its security was in many ways dependent on relatively good relations with France and Russia and their good will. What happens if they win and Britain had stood aside? What does a German victory and the fall of France and Russia mean for this (nobody can really say)? Britain waged war against Germany because it was understood among its leadership that it was in the interest of the country's policy, the violation of Belgium's neutrality rallied popular opinion and may have brought Britain in sooner than otherwise (though in reality Britain declared war on the 4 August, 3 days after Germany had declared war on Russia and France and a couple of days before German and French armies even came into serious contact with each other).

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
On the upside, we don't seemt o have any reason to use our U-Boats and risk getting the Americans in the war. Also, OW.

Nice to see Eastern front is being Eastern front. Is it posible to dig in really deep along the Serbian border in defensiev positions and just sorta pray?

Also nice to see our intent on not pressuring the British and in turn letting the Ottomans slowly slide our way was for naught!

Question, if the British base troops in Belgium do the Belgians declare war on them or not and join the CP? Just thinking that would be hilarious and we'd get Channel ports for free and fortresses and guarantee our northern flank.

Otherwise, the BEF isn't going to be a huge threat /unless/ the Brits get military access through Belgium which hte Belgians weren't keen on granting them if they're going to infantry charge our forts. Keep digging!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
The uboats were on their way to the box they need to be in to raid. How the battlecruisers caught them I have no idea.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
We ca look at this as an upside - we now have no remote reasoning to invest money and resources over into the Navy! Which leaves us lots more to use for other stuff. And less chance of drawing out the Americans!

Also suppose it will be amusing if the British try and invade Belgium or get military access or in turn we can diplomatically influence Belgium towards us now.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Grey Hunter posted:

The uboats were on their way to the box they need to be in to raid. How the battlecruisers caught them I have no idea.

Great Britain probably got lucky while moving to blockade the CP and found the submarines that way, blasting them while they were on the move. Also, either the subs were grouped together far too much, killing their evasion, or the British used the Intercept command on your practically leaderless force.

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
Well, Grey managed not to sink the entire Royal Navy, at least.

Question, though: I see a lot of flags on that Diplomacy area, there... Aside from the countries already discussed, how many (IF any) can we sway with our German charms and Bratwursts?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Its all quiet on the Western Front. I resist the urge to counter attack at Metz, as that would draw in the Troisieme Armee in St Mihiel.

With Belgrade just over the border, I'd be a fool to not try an occupy it.

We will fight in Chotin and push 3 and 4 Armees into Dubno to crush the 8-ya Armiya. (the Russians 8th Army.)

South of Warsaw, we are held up in two cities. After taking this shot I order the Armee's to assault.

We move to engage the remains of the Russians – Bismark has some hunting to do.

With the Serbians held up, I turn 2 Armee south from Minsk – I want that encirclement in place before winter!

I continue to expand our armees - mainly on the Western Front for the Germans.

XII Armee Korps is roughly handled again.

Bulow captures some artillery before marching south.

We take the forts, but at high cost.

We are also unable to shift the Russians at Chotin.

The Austrians fare better against the Serbs.

Metz sees another two weeks of heavy fighting as the French try to break through but are repulsed.

The Dubno offensive is called off as the Russians get reinforcements.

Von Spee engages the British Navy in the south Pacific.

Hindenburg defeats Rennenkampf once more.

A Russian force captures an airfield and destroys all the planes there.

We win at Grodno, but with equal losses.

We repulse a Serb attempt to relieve Belgrade.

Our enemies multiply as the Japanese enter the war – they want our fart eastern possessions, and this is an easy war for them.

The Western reserve regiments are railed in to try and keep our men fresh in the battle of Metz.

While replacements are keeping the German forces at full strength, the constant fighting has left the men exhausted. The blue bars show cohesion, and none of my armies are ready to continue their advances – we need to rest! This is with the exception of the Garde Korps, who will be releiving Konigsburg.

The easternmost Austrians will go on the defensive for a time, let see if the Russians will attack us,

The main force will continue to push north to try and close the teeth around Warsaw.

A few air units and reserve divisions are sent to help the war in Serbia. I order guns to be strapped to some of our planes to turn them into “fighter” planes. We shall see if this idea works out.

The heavy fighting continues at Metz, both sides are now fighting from trenches, and the battle is a rain of artillery followed by desperate charges. Losses are high on both sides.

We encounter some Russian reserves.

We continue to fight the Russians even if we are not trying to push them back. There will be few rests in this war it seems.

Bulow smashes a Russian Division – or they surrendered to him, as he took no losses.

My god, someone has sown the Russian commanders eyes shut!
Oh, I think those are supposed to be glasses.

9 Armee Corps is performing a fighting retreat.

The British try and attack our forces in Africa, but they are seen off without loss.

The fighting at Metz is the bloodiest the world has ever seen!

The Russian force in Lodz unlocks and tries to march into Germany.

It looks like we have a fight on our hands for Konigsburg.

We punish the Russians at Grodno.

The Serbs bring in a large force to relieve Belgrade.

The Russians probe the gap between the fortresses.

Von Kluck keeps up the pressure.

The Russians have taken Konigsburg, and I am now worried about the possibility of US being encircled!

Our casualties have passed half a million men. Our enemies losses close in on three quarters of a million.

This is going to be a bloody war.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Things seem to be going... not too well, actually.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

How is is that the Russia-focused warplan caused the Germans to fare even more poorly in the East?!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Bad luck? Maybe it's because we're not putting enough pressure on the French, should have kicked in the door through Belgium.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I should've voted for playing Russia, then the Germans would be winning! :argh:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HannibalBarca posted:

How is is that the Russia-focused warplan caused the Germans to fare even more poorly in the East?!

I suspect it's because advancing against them means they don't all rush into East Prussia, and that one decision that simulates Tannenburg cripples a whole lot fewer Russians.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Don't get me wrong, Grey's definetly managed a higher KDR on the East Front vs the Russians. But, with the exception of mustering units, Grey has failed to annihlate any Russian formations. AGEOD places a lot of emphasis on killing or fatally isolating enemy formations. I don't know how supply works in TGW but Grey needs to capture or isolate the Russian depots and defend his own.

Additionally, AGEOD stops working so great with huge scales like WW1. Eventually it becomes micromanagement hell because simply ignoring some parts of your expanding forces leads to poo poo like all your uboats sinking.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Hey you took my hometown!

Those casualties, though :stare:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

To support the defence of Metz I order a number of Landwehr Divisions into Lorraine, if we are forced back, they can be working on fortifications there.

We order 1 Armee to push on to Brest Litvosk. The others will hold location.

I discover the Hoffman event didn't fire – this is a perfect time to use it!

I order the German forces to pull back into Prussia and hammer the advancing Russians. We may need to hold up to rest our troops, but I want to try and secure our supply route first!

Hindenburg begins the offensive.

We push back the Russians in the centre.

The Austrians obliterate a Russian division in the Battle of Dubno.

The Russian force in Koingsburg marches back towards Russia – and right into Bulow! They take heavy losses as we surprise them with a fresh army.

Kluck and Samsonov trade blows at Grodno.

Russian losses are massive.

The latest casualty reports from the Battle of Metz show the enemy are making no gains for heavy losses. Our own losses are still high though.

We continue to hold here. More men are rushed in to support the line – I am aware the BEF will be on the line soon, and may well try and launch their own offensive to try and draw troops away from Metz.

The Austrians make one last push to cut Russians supplies before winter.

With the supply lines secure, the Germans – except Bulow – will hold to try and rest up their forces – we need to regain cohesion to get our combat value back up.

I ask more more German Generals, and go on a diplomatic blitz.

More divisions are also called up. This time in the East to match the massed Russians.

The Serbians go on the offensive, and we are pushed back.

A French Division surrender rather than go to Metz.

We hold off a large Russian attack at Chotin.

Is this a pause or a halt to the attacks in Metz.

German forces continue to try and hold the Russians out of Prussia and reorganise their forces.

Russian numbers are getting worrying, the Austrians order more troops to be raised.

Grodno continues to see action. The Russians attack foolishly.

A Russian force is attacked, but we lose heavily.

The Serbs continue to defeat the Austrian troops.

Bulow arrives to hold the center of Prussia.

Hindenburg clears out his enemies.

Russians win through sheer weight of numbers at Chotin.

A much smaller force takes Zamosc.

It looks like Metz is over, but winter is here. Time to try and get them men ready for a fight next year!

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Well, 1914 wasn't a knockout, but at least we have a short defensible front in the West. Maybe we can send Germans to help finish off the Serbs this year.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
I'm getting the impression that Austria might not have been the best country for Germany to tie itself to....

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Wow, multiple battles with the Serbs for nearly 1:1 or 1:2 losses! The Austrians fared much better here than in reality!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

>outnumbered 1.58:1
>inflicting 9:7 casualties

uh w-we're winning guys national morale has never been higher

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
How do those zero casualty battles keep happening? Are people just rushing in to surrender?

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016

JcDent posted:

How do those zero casualty battles keep happening? Are people just rushing in to surrender?

Nah, see, it's the great 1914 slap fight. Winner gets bragging rights and maybe a decorative pin or fridge magnet.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Snow blankets Europe. We also see that the BEF has arrived and taken up position in Briey. We can expect them to launch new offensives in the new year.

In Prussia our men are regaining cohesion nicely, the only offensive moved planned is Hindenburg's army attacking a Russian division in Elbing.

The Lodz bulge is now a major worry, the Russians are advancing here now. I am forming units to match them.

3 and 4 Armee's are ordered to pull back as they are in danger of being cut off, all other units are told to hold.

In Serbia, we will hold.

We recruit more divisions, but are running low of cash – both Austria and Germany call for state funds.

We defeat Rennenkampf. Let us hope it secures our supply lines.

British and French forces continue to build up. I plan to defend in the 2nd battle of Metz. We have also been told we can increase fortifications here to level 4, so expect the men to dig deep before spring.

Hindenburg and Bulow plan to crush Rennenkampf and clear the Russians from Prussia. Then we can plan next years offensives.

Molke has been replaced by Falkenburg, hopefully this new leadership will set us right.

We are so close to cutting the Russian supply lines.

Everywhere else we hold and consolidate.

I have emptied our conscript pool with new divisions.

3 Armee fights as it falls back.

Hindenburg smashes into Rennenkampf's army, doing a good amount of damage to the Russians.

Austrian cavalry ambush a Russian army corps.

The Russians try to break the Warsaw pocket, they do so, but take losses in the process.

Christmas Day 1914, Kitchener throws the entire BEF and the French into an assault on Metz. Three quarters of a Million Entente and half a million German soldiers fight in this battle, which is hampered by poor weather. Losses could have been much higher for the British, and they get off lightly.

Decisions

1915 opens up some more options – the first is research.

Each one will cost us 250 state funds and 5 EP – we have 2080 and 47 respectively. We also have several new events.

We could fund another Boer uprising.

We could make concessions to Italy to keep them out of the war. (the backstabbing “allies” that they are.)

We could pay this Fokker some money to boost aviation research.

The last option is to get chummy with the Bulgarians. (option 1 is Kaisers gold to turkey, which is still on the cards.)

What shall we do to win this war?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Okay, going to vote for getting chummy with Bulgaria and Turkey - both are relatively cheap as far as EP's go and hopefully help us get both on better terms quickly. Italy is of little use other than having a fleet in the Mediterranean which could be used to contest the area - but we're clearly not going to be able to remotely get the Geran fleet down there anytime soon, the Austro-Hungarian navy is as bad as the Romanian one (hint: Romania does not have sea access) so there's nothing much. The Italian army is trash, southern Austria-Hungary is easily defensible, and even if the Italians did join us attacking through the alps into Southern France doesn't get us much. Slowly advancing infantry through the alps to get stopped by a few French divisions really doesn't get us much.

The Third Boer War is good - it gives us another threat in Africa and ties down more British troops. It's relatively cheap with EP's - the Brits don't have much of an army at the moment, and with luck it can bog down lots of Entente forces in Africa. We have relatively little to lose, and the British are already at war with us. Particularly early on anything that hopefully ties down British regulars spreads them out more and is a benefit to us.

Research I vote for prioritizing Infantry research and artillery research. Our U-Boats are dead, they are a sink at best and not going to be useful wtihout a major naval effort to rebuild the fleet. Most casualties come from heavy artillery in war, so the better we strengthen our's and our infantry the better we can do on the defensive. Imagine our fortresses in Alsace-Lorraine backed by even heavier cannons..

For airplanes, Fokker seems way more cost effective - we can do 250 'Currency' and 5 engagement points for 40 Research or pay 5 EP's to get 75. that seems most efficient and gives us some early bonus in the air if we need it.

So, presuming we can take multiple diplomatic options, unless there are major negatives yes to getting chummy with the Ottomans and Bulgaria, yes to the Boer funding unless there's something big about it I'm missing that hits us hard, engage Fokker if needed, focus research on artillery and infantry.

---

Presuming that Bulgaria and the Ottomans can be brought into the war handily, don't bother with attacking into Russia unless their lines are empty - attacking through the Causcus is a butcher's bill but it's nice to give the Russians another front. The Ottomans can hopefully go through as much of the Middle East as possible and force the British to divert lots of resources down there - they only have a couple of Corps in early 1915, and if they have to send more down to South Africa all the better. Threatening the Suez is a pipe dream, but it's another front for them and the French. The Bulgarians can act as a general reserve if needed - they can be second line troops and help reinforce the Serbian border and when weather gets better and hopefully the Serbs have bled more on the border they can help counterattack and invade.

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 13, 2017

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Agree with the above. Fund infantry and artillery research directly; fund aviation via Fokker; trigger Third Boer War; promise gains to Bulgaria and tell Italy to go gently caress itself.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'm on board with that, but could we afford a point of research into chemical weapons as well? I dunno how effective they are in the game but at the very least we don't want to fall behind and let the Entente beat us to them.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Can anyone tell me what the formation icons at the bottom of the battle screens signify?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Let's go big...

-Research Infantry/Artillery/Chemical
-Boer War, Fokker and sway Bulgaria

I'd like to sway the Ottoman Empire too, but how much did the 'Kaiser's Gold' cost? If we can't afford it, lets continue to use regular diplomacy to do so.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Can anyone tell me what the formation icons at the bottom of the battle screens signify?

Battle Plan used by either side, I think.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
I'd vote we wait on Turkey for now, just because everything the CP brings in is going to siphon German troops away as stiffener. We just lost a battle in Metz, and the Russians aren't hurt substantially yet. Bulgaria doesn't hurt us at all though, will probably help bring a faster end to Serbia.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I mean, I want to do all that research, but I have no idea what should actually be prioritized based on game effects. We should definitely cause as many Boer Wars as possible, though.

I guess we should use this brief window in history when chemical weapons seemed like an okay plan and just hope that the wind will blow right.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Definitely fund chemical weapons. Leverage our superior industrial know-how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Flavius Belisarius posted:

I'll try and remember to show the pre battle screen - I'd love to show the screen that shows WHERE THE BATTLE IS TAKING PLACE, but for some reason nothing I do allows me to get a screenshot, so you have to live with the end of battle report.

• Locked thread