Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Its 1914, and the world is about to go to war. We shall take AGEOD's WWI game and see how it holds up! If you have never played an AGEOD game, they are odd strategy games where the same engine is bent to the will of every period from Rome to WWI.
Each turn covers two weeks, and the whole campaign is 107 turns long. We shall begin before the troops are even raised and fight on until one side surrenders. (or, like the 30 years war, until its obvious I've won but the game refuses to realize this.)

First we need to pick a side. I'm going to try and make this one a bit more interactive, as it has a lot more interesting events you can choose from.

The Eastern Entente

This is a fancy way of saying Russia and the minor Baltic states – massed manpower, terrible generals and troops. Its Russia, it never changes whatever time period you play! (at least in games, history may beg to differ.

The Western Entente

Allied to Russia, France will support her, and it is very likley that the British will join them (despite what King George has said to the Kaisers brother.)
France has the Elan, Britain has the international Empire on which to call.

The Central Powers

Germany is Europe's new superpower, shackled to the corpse of its oldest in the form of Austria-Hungary. The underdogs and the historical losers, they can hope to call the Ottoman Empire into the war (another dying empire.)
They will have to fight a war on two fronts. Which is Always a good idea!

So – who shall we be? Once we have picked a side, I shall do a more detailed post on their situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Kavak posted:

Mittelmächte

Bless you.

Central Powers 15
Eastern Entente 8
Western Entente 6

As I expected, the lure of the underdog continues to be strong. To be honest, it will probibly be the most interesting side to play, and giving the AI the stronger side never hurts.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Central Powers 18
Eastern Entente 16
Western Entente 7

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Central Powers 28
Eastern Entente 22
Western Entente 7

This was much closer than I thought, then again, I suppose Russia are also the underdogs in this timeline!
I'll give this about eight more hours then start work on the first proper update.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

And the Central powers get a narrow win!

I'll get on the post now, but its a bit late, so I may have to finish up tomorrow.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Archduke has just been assassinated.

While war is by no means certain at this point, the hawks in both Germany and Austria-Hungary are doing their best to spin this into a general conflict – worried that both Germanic countries will soon be eclipsed and marginalized by the rest of Europe.

We have a lot of land to fight over, but as the Archduke has only just been assassinated, there are no troops raised.

Here are our resources, the only one that really need explaining is Engagement points – these are use to fire special events and cards that will help us win the war.

Our objectives are the capital cities of mainland Europe. No worrying about all the tiny towns here!
Most of the options are locked or unavailable at this time, but we need to pick something very important.

We need to pick two warplans, one for Germany and one for Austria-Hungary. A warplan is a very important choice, as it will control where our troops are stationed when they are called up. While we will be able to move troops around, trying to back out of a warplan will be hard, as there is a limit on how many troops we can move by rail in a two week period.
This will be our choice here. This will shape our war.

Lets look at the German plans.
1) The Schlieffen Plan.

This is the historical push through Belgium that failed in real life, but worked in World War 2. Did it fail due to bad planning, bad luck or because the Germans weakened it reacting to Western Entente moves? Do we try and win on the Western Front?

2) The Moltke Plan.

General Moltke suggests bringing all our might on Russia, attempting to knock them out before they can mobilize properly. This will give the Western Entente a morale boost, but will also bolster the morale of Austria.

3) The Kronprinz Plan.

The Kronprinz favours a defensive war, where the Allies will die in droves upon our defences. The people will not like this plan however, as they expect us to do all we can to win the war quickly.

4) The Rupprecht Plan.

This switches the Western front from a northern attack to a southern one, going through neutral Switzerland and angering Italy.

For the Austrians, We have the following plans.

A) The Konrad Plan.

Under this plan, Austria-Hungary will divide their attentions between Serbia and Russia. The Serbians should fall quickly then the Austrian troops will be able to focus all their attention on the Russians.

B) The Kaiser Plan.

Serbia is to be ignored in favour of knocking Russia out of the war – at which point we can mop up the annoying Serbs.

C) The Koenig Plan.

This plan sees Austria-Hunbary going all out to smash Serbia then moving on to Russia. The hope is to wipe out the smaller Serb army before moving on to the larger – and hopefully slower to mobilize – Russian army.

D) The Prinz Plan.

This is Austria's defensive plan, and would anger the people who expect us to be attacking someone, seeing as we have just started this war. But it would allow us to make the best use of defensive terrain.

Please vote for your preferred war plans. Format is 1A, 2C ect.

I'm interested to see how this one plays out.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 28, 2017

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Kavak posted:

I thought 1C was the defensive plan. Uh oh.

Change vote to Kronprinz and Koenig

3D would be the defensive plans.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Current Scores -

1 = 4
2 = 25
3 = 2
4 = 11

A = 3
B = 18
C = 18

D = 5

With a tie, I'm going to have to run this on for another 12 hours!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Right, I think I'll call that before some silly buggers vote it back the other way for "drama."

Russia is in for a rough ride!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Stealing from the manual -

quote:

High Alignment within a region will give the following benefits:
• You don’t need to garrison Objectives in order to earn VPs.
• The locals will provide you some intelligence as to the enemy’s whereabouts (see p. 61).
• The region will produce more Supply, State Funds, and Resources.
• If the enemy occupies a region loyal to your side without leaving enough of a garrison, its Military Control will gradually shift in your favor and there is a chance that Partisans will appear in the region.

If a region is very hostile to the occupant (10% or less Alignment), non-garrisoned cities may even openly revolt, in which case
an enemy Unit will appear and take control of the city

So we may need to watch the Austrians - although the Germans have balanced out.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Things shift towards war. I will not show all the messages, as most of them are small shifts in alignment.

The Serbians have rejected the ultimatum given to them – this is unsurprising, as it had been carefully crafted to be unacceptable.

Our spies tell us the French are gearing up for a major offensive.

We will have to hope that the units of the 4,5,6 and 7 Armee's can hold them off. They are static at this time, but they are still getting men and materials.

The Russians are also about to go on the offensive.

Here the Germans have the bulk of their forces.

The Austrians have also mobilized here.

The Serbian Front is less powerfully manned.

It should be stated the the numbers seen at the top of the stack do not relate to those in an area – I have not merged to many units, as I want to strike deeply into Russia along a wide front.

So while Rennenkamp's force may look more powerful with a combat power of 1,000....

Bulow in fact has near 3,000 combat power in Gumbinnen! I could overwhelm the Russians with all of this force, but I shall spread them out and attack quickly. Bulow is also a better General at 4-1-6 (Strategic, Offensive, Defensive) than Rennenkamp's 2-3-1. That said, the Russian General is much better on the defensive, so I will need a good number of troops to ensure the battle is a victory.

Here is a stack, this is the 2 Armee. It is made up of a commanding general, and attached corps and some units not in a smaller container.

Each of the reserve divisions is made up of two infantry brigades and some artillery support, and numbers 12,300 men and 36 artillery pieces.

Likewise, the Garde Reserve Korps is made up of two divisions and some heavy artillery – and numbers just under 25,000 men and 108 artillery pieces. Here the red bar shows unit strength and the blue bar cohesion. You want both to be high. On the main screen a green bar can be seen, this represent supply levels.

I order our offensives – We also have 1 Armee, commanded by the much more aggressive Von Kluck. They will attack the Russian forces with support.

The other forces will begin to move on Objective towns.

3 Armee will march on Mlawa supported by XII Korps.

8 Armee has not yet finished forming up.

The only active Austrian Army (I'm going to drop the Hungarian for the most part to save on typing.) is 5 Armee, they will move forwards to engage the Russians at Kaminiets.

A few Korps are going to make sneaky attempts to overrun Russian forts and towns before they can be properly manned. We will see how this goes.

On the Serbian front, 6 Armee is formed, but inactive, so I send some Corps forwards to occupy defensive positions.

Moves on the Western front are limited to using the two movable units to fill gaps in the line.

I order some more units for the Western and Serbian fronts, but most of my money goes on stocking up on replacements for the incoming losses.

Although not of much use at this stage, I should show you the diplomacy and research board – rather than being a separate screen, these are off at the top of the map!

Time to see how these orders play out. I have to say I'm nervous about this.

The first battle is fought on the 7th of August, as Von Kluck overwhelms Rannenkamph and his armies.

One of our Austrian Korps commanders sees off some Serbian cavalry with heavy losses.

The other Korps commander has to call in support from the main army to defeat the Serbian attack.

Ferdinand Von is slow to move, and finds an entire Russian army waiting in the Dubno forts.

The Eastern front is ablaze. The Russians are advancing where they can.

This means that Hindenburg has taken up control of 8 Armee!

That's the expression of a man who expects to kill a lot of Russians.

The French mass, but as yet don't attack. Our men begin to dig in.

It also looks like the Serbians are not willing to just sit back.

This map shows the dispositions of units. Poorly, but its the best I have.

That is enough for now, I've done a lot of organising to get this moving. But I will take suggestions on how to proceed from here. Also, Do we wish to commit resources to getting the Ottoman Empire into the war quickly?

Two weeks into the war, 70,000 casualties. This is going to be a bloody one – and the French have done nothing so far!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Added Space posted:

Is 500 funds a lot? The ships may as well not exist for all the good they'll do. Should be worth it as a honeypot for the British.

I'm making 600 a turn at the moment

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

JcDent posted:

"We have Serbs contained"
*every Serb attack inflicts higher casualties than it receives*
Way to go, A-H!

What's the different between the upper and lower replacement windows? Also, what are the grey folding steel and GBA circles for?

The upper white is the Austro-Hungaria pool. (is that even a correct plural, I'm never sure.) the second is the German. The other are for minor units.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

They had attack orders, for the unmanned fort. The AI is not bright enough to know that those were the orders, not to engage and entire Russian Army....

It should also be remembered that their troops at this point were still using mostly closed formation, and were criticized by the Germans for their lack of scouting.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 31, 2017

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

As council was against giving money to the Turks, I decide to only give them the ships – there is little else they can do to survive in the Med. I also send a Diplomat their way.

I'm worried by the strength of French forces, so five more divisions are raised in the area. Boosted by three field artillery batteries.

In Serbia, O. Armee is active, and moves to support the 16 Armee-Korps. 15 Armee Korps is well set to deal with their enemies.

1 and 2 Armees are ordered to advance north and threaten Warsaw from the south.

The shattered 14 Armee-Korps is ordered to retreat while 3 Armee is to advance south of Dubno and meet up with 4 Armee. Together they will engage Ruzki and his army. 5 Armee in the south of the image will hold the Chotin forts and see if they can get the Russians to attack fortified positions.
9 Armee corps in the north east of the image will try and cut Russian supply lines/run into the next army coming south.

The German army is much more concentrated. Hindenburg will lead 8 Armee against Samsonov in Leotzen, and 3 Armee will engage the Russians at Tannenburg. (that sounds like a good place to have a battle!)

To make sure, I play the Hoffman card – this will pin the Russians in place and allow me to smash them!

1 and 2 Armees will continue to smash into Rennenkamp and push deeper into Russia. With grand designs I shall strike at Minsk and Bielostok.

The overall plan is to take Brest Litovsk and cut off two Russian armies and a large swath of land.
That is the planning over. Time to see what the attacks bring again.

Bruslov defeats Von Frank on the easternmost part of our front.

An entire army Korps sends wave after wave of men at a Serbian cavalry division and loses thousands for no avail! This is a disaster and the German observers begin to worry about the fighting prowess of their allies. The men advance as if this was the Napoleonic wars all over again, and are cut to shreds by artillery and machine gun fire!

They are also defeated at Kremenetz, but they give a much better showing – and the Russians brought in a second army.

The Germans continue to advance.

The Russians push south from Dubnow, but the Austrian force they meet use massed fire to meet them and are able to turn them back!

600,000 men go into action as the French assault Metz. We kill the enemy at a three to one rate and a hundred thousand French casualties seen.

We win at Tannenburg.

The Austrians win at Zloczow.

Hindenburg all but massacres Samsonof.

He continues to keep up the pressure.

The boys on the French border continue to hold – all they need do is bloody France a few more times as they have done, and the French government will crumble.

O. Armee is to cross the Sava and come at Belgrade from the south.

The main Austrian force is to continue operations.

5 Armee will hold position and try and bait the Russians into more fruitless attacks, while General FML (known to the troops as “gently caress My Life”) and 9 Korps will try and ruin the supply lines.

German efforts are to push south and continue the encirclement, with 2 Armee continuing to have Minsk as an objective – once they take Kowno.

Kluck advances with losses.

The Russians counter attack in the north. We lose, but I see this only as a diversion to take their minds off the Warsaw encirclement.

Here I order our troops to do a long bombardment before advancing, and it seems to make up for the Austrian 's poor martial skill – but I'm not sure how long we can do such attacks without using up all of our ammunition.

Lublin is quickly reduced and taken.

XII Korps gets ahead of everyone else, and is bloodied for it.

Hindenburg destroys Rennenkamp's army. Only the faster cavalry are able to flee the battlefield.

Von Kluck continues to push the Russians, back, but he is losing a lot of men!

In an unmitigated disaster, most of our U-boat fleet is destroyed by the British Battlecrusiers! I have no idea how this happened!

The forts outside Lublin are also cleared of Russians.

O Armee continues to hold.

We get the news that Britain is entering the war. We have taken a lot of casualties in the last month, but at least the enemy have taken many more
Russian morale is starting to crumble.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The uboats were on their way to the box they need to be in to raid. How the battlecruisers caught them I have no idea.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Its all quiet on the Western Front. I resist the urge to counter attack at Metz, as that would draw in the Troisieme Armee in St Mihiel.

With Belgrade just over the border, I'd be a fool to not try an occupy it.

We will fight in Chotin and push 3 and 4 Armees into Dubno to crush the 8-ya Armiya. (the Russians 8th Army.)

South of Warsaw, we are held up in two cities. After taking this shot I order the Armee's to assault.

We move to engage the remains of the Russians – Bismark has some hunting to do.

With the Serbians held up, I turn 2 Armee south from Minsk – I want that encirclement in place before winter!

I continue to expand our armees - mainly on the Western Front for the Germans.

XII Armee Korps is roughly handled again.

Bulow captures some artillery before marching south.

We take the forts, but at high cost.

We are also unable to shift the Russians at Chotin.

The Austrians fare better against the Serbs.

Metz sees another two weeks of heavy fighting as the French try to break through but are repulsed.

The Dubno offensive is called off as the Russians get reinforcements.

Von Spee engages the British Navy in the south Pacific.

Hindenburg defeats Rennenkampf once more.

A Russian force captures an airfield and destroys all the planes there.

We win at Grodno, but with equal losses.

We repulse a Serb attempt to relieve Belgrade.

Our enemies multiply as the Japanese enter the war – they want our fart eastern possessions, and this is an easy war for them.

The Western reserve regiments are railed in to try and keep our men fresh in the battle of Metz.

While replacements are keeping the German forces at full strength, the constant fighting has left the men exhausted. The blue bars show cohesion, and none of my armies are ready to continue their advances – we need to rest! This is with the exception of the Garde Korps, who will be releiving Konigsburg.

The easternmost Austrians will go on the defensive for a time, let see if the Russians will attack us,

The main force will continue to push north to try and close the teeth around Warsaw.

A few air units and reserve divisions are sent to help the war in Serbia. I order guns to be strapped to some of our planes to turn them into “fighter” planes. We shall see if this idea works out.

The heavy fighting continues at Metz, both sides are now fighting from trenches, and the battle is a rain of artillery followed by desperate charges. Losses are high on both sides.

We encounter some Russian reserves.

We continue to fight the Russians even if we are not trying to push them back. There will be few rests in this war it seems.

Bulow smashes a Russian Division – or they surrendered to him, as he took no losses.

My god, someone has sown the Russian commanders eyes shut!
Oh, I think those are supposed to be glasses.

9 Armee Corps is performing a fighting retreat.

The British try and attack our forces in Africa, but they are seen off without loss.

The fighting at Metz is the bloodiest the world has ever seen!

The Russian force in Lodz unlocks and tries to march into Germany.

It looks like we have a fight on our hands for Konigsburg.

We punish the Russians at Grodno.

The Serbs bring in a large force to relieve Belgrade.

The Russians probe the gap between the fortresses.

Von Kluck keeps up the pressure.

The Russians have taken Konigsburg, and I am now worried about the possibility of US being encircled!

Our casualties have passed half a million men. Our enemies losses close in on three quarters of a million.

This is going to be a bloody war.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

To support the defence of Metz I order a number of Landwehr Divisions into Lorraine, if we are forced back, they can be working on fortifications there.

We order 1 Armee to push on to Brest Litvosk. The others will hold location.

I discover the Hoffman event didn't fire – this is a perfect time to use it!

I order the German forces to pull back into Prussia and hammer the advancing Russians. We may need to hold up to rest our troops, but I want to try and secure our supply route first!

Hindenburg begins the offensive.

We push back the Russians in the centre.

The Austrians obliterate a Russian division in the Battle of Dubno.

The Russian force in Koingsburg marches back towards Russia – and right into Bulow! They take heavy losses as we surprise them with a fresh army.

Kluck and Samsonov trade blows at Grodno.

Russian losses are massive.

The latest casualty reports from the Battle of Metz show the enemy are making no gains for heavy losses. Our own losses are still high though.

We continue to hold here. More men are rushed in to support the line – I am aware the BEF will be on the line soon, and may well try and launch their own offensive to try and draw troops away from Metz.

The Austrians make one last push to cut Russians supplies before winter.

With the supply lines secure, the Germans – except Bulow – will hold to try and rest up their forces – we need to regain cohesion to get our combat value back up.

I ask more more German Generals, and go on a diplomatic blitz.

More divisions are also called up. This time in the East to match the massed Russians.

The Serbians go on the offensive, and we are pushed back.

A French Division surrender rather than go to Metz.

We hold off a large Russian attack at Chotin.

Is this a pause or a halt to the attacks in Metz.

German forces continue to try and hold the Russians out of Prussia and reorganise their forces.

Russian numbers are getting worrying, the Austrians order more troops to be raised.

Grodno continues to see action. The Russians attack foolishly.

A Russian force is attacked, but we lose heavily.

The Serbs continue to defeat the Austrian troops.

Bulow arrives to hold the center of Prussia.

Hindenburg clears out his enemies.

Russians win through sheer weight of numbers at Chotin.

A much smaller force takes Zamosc.

It looks like Metz is over, but winter is here. Time to try and get them men ready for a fight next year!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Snow blankets Europe. We also see that the BEF has arrived and taken up position in Briey. We can expect them to launch new offensives in the new year.

In Prussia our men are regaining cohesion nicely, the only offensive moved planned is Hindenburg's army attacking a Russian division in Elbing.

The Lodz bulge is now a major worry, the Russians are advancing here now. I am forming units to match them.

3 and 4 Armee's are ordered to pull back as they are in danger of being cut off, all other units are told to hold.

In Serbia, we will hold.

We recruit more divisions, but are running low of cash – both Austria and Germany call for state funds.

We defeat Rennenkampf. Let us hope it secures our supply lines.

British and French forces continue to build up. I plan to defend in the 2nd battle of Metz. We have also been told we can increase fortifications here to level 4, so expect the men to dig deep before spring.

Hindenburg and Bulow plan to crush Rennenkampf and clear the Russians from Prussia. Then we can plan next years offensives.

Molke has been replaced by Falkenburg, hopefully this new leadership will set us right.

We are so close to cutting the Russian supply lines.

Everywhere else we hold and consolidate.

I have emptied our conscript pool with new divisions.

3 Armee fights as it falls back.

Hindenburg smashes into Rennenkampf's army, doing a good amount of damage to the Russians.

Austrian cavalry ambush a Russian army corps.

The Russians try to break the Warsaw pocket, they do so, but take losses in the process.

Christmas Day 1914, Kitchener throws the entire BEF and the French into an assault on Metz. Three quarters of a Million Entente and half a million German soldiers fight in this battle, which is hampered by poor weather. Losses could have been much higher for the British, and they get off lightly.

Decisions

1915 opens up some more options – the first is research.

Each one will cost us 250 state funds and 5 EP – we have 2080 and 47 respectively. We also have several new events.

We could fund another Boer uprising.

We could make concessions to Italy to keep them out of the war. (the backstabbing “allies” that they are.)

We could pay this Fokker some money to boost aviation research.

The last option is to get chummy with the Bulgarians. (option 1 is Kaisers gold to turkey, which is still on the cards.)

What shall we do to win this war?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Can anyone tell me what the formation icons at the bottom of the battle screens signify?

I'll try and remember to show the pre battle screen - I'd love to show the screen that shows WHERE THE BATTLE IS TAKING PLACE, but for some reason nothing I do allows me to get a screenshot, so you have to live with the end of battle report.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We fill out our options.

In Prussia we continue our efforts to encircle the enemy – and to destroy Rennenkamphs army.

The Austrians begin railing up the new troops.

The army expansion is continuing – 1915 brings a new wave of recruits.

The Russians try and break through the pocket – we hold them back, at a cost.

They can feel the noose tightening though.

We have hope the Ottoman Empire will join us in the war. We have also reached level 2 in Air and chemical warfare.

All my money goes on two new fighter units – one for Austria and one for Germany.

The Russians in Prussia are playing hard to get, I relocate Bulow to the north, I don't like the look of the forces massing there.

The Western Entente have taken Metz. We will try and hold the area, but only the troops in the fortress remain.

Bulow's redeployment catches some Russians by surprise.

The Ottomans have joined us!

The French realise they are a little obvious on the battlefield.

Enver Pashar orders men to be railed south for an assault into Egypt. An attack against Russia is also considered, but will be put to the generals for discussion.

The weather clears and I order a general offensive in Prussia.

The newly raised troops begin a push on Lodz.

The Austrians also attack, except for Conrad, who refused to budge from his winter retreat.

Kitchener throws over a million men at the Metz Fortress – they fight heroically and give the British and French a bloody nose, but in the end, they cannot hold against numbers like that.

The Militia in front of Losz are pushed back.

The Allied advance sweeps north into Thionville and smashes into our army there with overwhelming force.

Rennenkampf continues to screen his retreat.

But Hindenburg is able to engage him. We are repulsed by their field works, but we did some damage to a unit cut off behind our lines.

Another wave of men are sent in the next day.

Bulow manages to defeat the Russians.

We have some serious choices to make.

The first is the state of the Western Front.

We have no troops in the Saar Region – there is the possibility of a British breakthrough here. We can move troops in to defend the area, or there is another option.

Using the newly developed Chlorine gas, we could counter attack – we have the forces in the area, and the British will not have had time to dig in yet. We could push them back with heavy losses and restore the line – or we could lose thousands of men to British machine guns.

Also, Do we use the Ottomans to pressure the Russians?

Or the British?
Or both?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Gas is ordered to be deployed at the Assault on Metz.

I create a new army group with the best General I have in the west – this pisses of Hindenburg a bit, but he's in the wrong theatre for promotion!

In Prussia we hold to recover cohesion. And let another bad patch of weather pass.

Conrad finally goes on the Offensive.

The Turks mass for their own offensive.

Our advance into the south of Polish Russia is halted.

We are still making headway in the north.

Our plan of attack falters at Kitchener steals the march on us with his million men.

They have also gone on an immediate offensive into Turkey!

The flanking movement makes it to Metz, and gets butchered for their trouble – this has shot our bolt with the gas as well!

With the danger of an imminent breakthrough on the Western Front I order the use of gas in an immediate counter attack on Lorraine. Fresh troops are moved to try and halt this advance.

Our Prussian forces still need to rest.

The Austrians are trying a minor offensive.

The Turks also attempt a counter attack.

The bulk of their forces are still inland however.

The British and French have wasted no time in landing troops in Gallipoli and Kum Kale.

The Austrians win local battles.

The Lorraine counter attack fails.

As does the attack on Dubno.

Kitchener widens his offensive.

Another wave into Lorraine is defeated, but with the gas, we are able to do good damage to the British forces.

The Italians move towards the Entente.

Our men on the Western front are exhausted and switch to the defensive.

The Warsaw pocket is my best chance to turn this war around, and is almost complete.

I just need Von Nadas to activate and go on the offensive! He has refused to do so.

The Turks shall march into Egypt, the British there seemingly are in retreat.

We also march to contain their invasion of the Dardanelles.

We engage and defeat a Russian Army.

The Turks push back the Australians.

We make good ground against Samsonov until his reserves reach the front.

The Turks continue to advance.

Dubno continues to be a battlefield.

Thankfully, the Western Entente did not attack this time, but losses are high – all sides have low national morale from the losses they have taken – we approach a million men.

I'm not going to lie, the war is in a dire state. We need to close that pocket and eliminate the Russians quickly! We cannot hold for long in the west!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

wedgekree posted:

how did the Entente mass a million men over in a single area!? That seems kind of odd to be able to do on such a narrow frontway in 1915.

Well, they've not lost huge areas of land - including 80% of their iron mines.

Basically not hitting France gives them a LOT more resources and manpower.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

It should also be noted that to do so cost me 2,000 VP's - it was that or ship Hindenburg to the other side.

But Hindenburg is not eligible for promotion, even though he gets angry that you skip over him!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We try and hold in the West.

Sarrbrucken has a lot more men than it looks.

Von Nedas finally agrees to attack, I order all other units to start closing the pocket.

Bulow is to advance as well.

The advance into Egypt is to continue.

We begin the offensive.

The Pocket slams shut, now to see what is in there.

Its not all victory though!

We finally manage to stall Kitchener's advance.

We push deeper through the desert.

Bulow runs into heavy Russian opposition. He inflicts heavy losses on them before retiring.

Conrad however cannot deal with a force half his size.

We take a fort in Belgrade with heavy losses.

It looks like the Entente have retreated into Metz. I order conservative attacks to see if we can retake some lost ground – it will look good in the papers if we can!

We work on closing the pocket.

Prussia is covered in Russians.

We take on a lost Corps of Entente troops.

The enemy have plenty of supplies in the pocket, but they will not last long.

Von Nedas pushes towards Warsaw, but is stopped with very heavy losses.

This time I shall destroy Rennenkampf!

There are to many enemy troops in Morhange for our men to advance – we do three to one casualties before calling off the advance.

In Lorraine we are able to destroy a French division.

The Russians nearly break out of the pocket, but we are able to hold them in.

Kitchener counter attacks in Lorraine with one and a half million men.

We find Lodz well defended.

With the pocket in place, we have a chance of grinding down the Russians – if we can hold out in the west.

Bulgaria has joined the central powers! We can now open a second front in Serbia and try and wipe them out of the war.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We see air combat for the first time.

While we welcome Bulgaria into the Central Powers, the Entente gain Greece.

Most of the Western front is on hold, excepts Saarbourg, where we should be able to push back an isolated French unit, and Morhange, where 6 Armee is being sent to support our men.

Prussia continues to be a mess.

The men fighting in the pocket are in desperate need of rest – they loose cohesion so quickly.

We are ready to make some limited pushes in the Ruthanian sector.

The Bulgarians begin to redeploy their forces.

We should see fighting in the Dardenelles soon.

We hand Joffre a bloody defeat.

With gas support, Bulow defeats twice his number of Russians and inflicts four times the casualties he takes.

But the Russians push back at the edges of the Warsaw pocket.

Kitchener throws his weight at Morhange.

This may have broken the pocket.

Kitchener also pushes against our main force, but is rebuked by massed machine gun pits.

Joffre counter attacks at Saarbourg and wins through this time.

We counter-counter attack and push him back with heavy losses.

They try again, but make no ground.

The French then commit a mass of men to the flank at Morhange and push us back there.

The Austrians begin their offensive.

After days of heavy fighting, our Saarbourg positions collapse!

The Entente assault has blown a hole in our lines that I am forced to rush troops to fill.

Prussia is a whirling storm of a conflict, Hindenburg is trying to destroy Rennenkamph, while Bulow is moving to retake Koenigsberg.

The Austrians in the pocket are played out and need to rest before continuing operations, but it doesn't look like they can hold the Russians back.

While the forces on the Ruthanian front are strong, I'm afraid to much movement would leave an open hole for the Russians to pour through!

The Bulgarians go into action this month, and hope to push back the Serbs and Greeks.

The Turkish armies are advancing unopposed through Egypt – it seems the British manpower in France has come at a cost in the rest of the empire!

The Austrians make an attempt for Warsaw, but are repulsed.

The Battle of Saarbourg continues with a nice victory to us.

I finally got this screen to capture! The Turks fall upon the French in the Dardenelles.

French losses total a good three quarters of their force.

The Russians use their seemingly endless streams of manpower to open up a front in Armenia.

The Bulgarian offensive does not start well.

The Russians push at our flanks

This is a better showing by the Bulgarians!

D'Elsa cannot let it go without a fight.

Kitchener expands his bulge.

He also sends his forces forward, but after some bloody fighting we stop them with 2:1 losses – 80,000 casualties is something to write home about!

The Austrians lose more ground, but really make the Russians pay for it in blood.

The Russians are rapidly losing the will to fight – if we can keep on pounding them we may still be able to take them out before the West falls!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The hole in the western front is huge, but they have to be losing cohesion fast with all of these attacks.

Russian control of Prussia is increasing, I'm going to have to divert troops to try and retake the area.

The Pocket is a mess.

Brusilov is holding it open with a strong force. The Austrians have nothing to combat this.

I'm going to try a smaller pocket here, with 4. Armee trying to weld it shut.

Bulgarian armies are already exhausted.

Its the same thing in the Dardenelles, that or the commanders are unwilling or unable to advance.

The Russians have troops everywhere!

Thankfully, all the English seem to be in France.

The Bulgarians kick off the fighting – they take no ground but inflict good losses on the Greeks.

Hindenburg clears the Russians from Ebling, killing them to a man.

The Austrians are pushed back at Lublin.

We give a good showing in Kolo.

Bulow gets drawn into a major battle at Goldap, where he gives Plehve a bloody nose! A lot of the Russian units were exhausted, and easy prey for out (slightly) better rested men.

The Russians send a strong force to try and stop us encircling them, but it does not help them.

We lose ground at Elsass.

The Bulgarians continue to advance.

The Serbians are on the offensive!

We repulse a British attack at Thionville. We destroy several units and it looks like we killed their top ranking general!

Things look bleak on the western front as the powerful main army swings east. I shall order a counter attack into Saarbruken with gas to try and shorten our lines – our men are also pulling out of Thionville, which will do the same.

In Prussia a lot of our men need to rest.

As do the troops around Warsaw. (I've giving up on calling this a pocket now. Its more of a sieve.)

Austria is forming a new army in Krackow, but it has to wait for the Generals to get there – and it will be short on artillery.

Around Serbia, most unit are also recovering cohesion. We will attack the remaining French in the Dardenelles though!

Unfortunately, the Turks have begun the Armenian Genocide. (This is an event played by the Entente.)

They Entente are working on something codenamed a “tank”. I myself order a mass of medium and field artillery for my troops.

We pull out at Thionville with minimal losses.

We push the French back as we advance out of Mainz.

Their force in the Dardenelles is doomed as well.

We continue to hold as the Russians advance into Armenia.

Our scouts tell us the Russians are railing a large force through Lublin.

With their eyes fixated on the Polish battlegrounds, I try another attack on Chotin. This will at least draw off more Russians.

We lose a fight in Africa – the Boers must not be putting up much of a fight.

Kitchener and one and a half million men attack the Saarbourg forts. There is little we can do against nearly seven thousand artillery pieces.

There is fierce fighting as Samsinov tries to push us back from Warsaw.

The Entente throw another wave of men at us.

Now we hear the the Italians have thrown in their lot with the enemy.....

Oh what a wonderful war.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

He's the army commander, as opposed to a field commander.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I love this, I'm going to make it a wallpaper.

Also I'm referring to this as the Kitchener offensive from now on.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 7, 2017

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Western front is a mess, I can only hope that Wuttemburg can lead our men on a limited offensive to retake Saarbruken – so far hi is unopposed, but Kitchener seems to be able to move his men easily.

In East Prussia I'm trying to pull my men back into a more cohesive line.

Two large Russian forces look ready to push out of Poland into West Prussia.

The Army forming in Krakow now needs to be rushed to the Italian border to prevent them from advancing to far into the country.

We have another go at smashing the Serbs.

The Turks need more men in Armenia.

Most of their forces are tied up in Egypt. At least they are making good ground there.

The good news? At least America likes us – mainly because we've not sunk any of their ships with our subs....

We see heavy fighting in Armenia as the Russians continue to advance.

The Austrians begin to advance against the Serbs.

Reloading the game to take the turn, I see a weak spot near Metz and order an attack – we nearly break through....

Before the Entente rush in 400,000 men to stop us!

Things go poorly for the British in Egypt.

We retake part of Prussia – Goldap to be precise.

Kitchener's men counter attack, but it is costly for them.

Samsinov attacks Conrad, we holds out, just.

The Turks use the mountains to inflict disproportionate losses on the Russians as they advance.

Hindenburg continues to clean up smaller Russian forces.

We also slam into Lorraine – while the advance is stopped, we do 4:1 casualties.

A fresh wave of Russians pushes back Conrad.

We seem to have blunted the Kitchener offensive and stabilised the Western Front – for now.

In Russia, we have heard that the Tzar has personally take over control of the army – while this is a temporary boost to their morale, it will be sure to cause issues over time.

The Back and forth fighting in Prussia will continue.

Things continue to look dire in Poland as well.

The Pocket is no more, and we are seeing many Russian units advancing.

The British are yet to do anything in Gallipoli.

I'm trying to put together some defence against Italy.

I asked for state funds, so I am able to go on a mass recruitment drive in Austria-Hungary and Turkey, and plough a huge amount of money into research!

Bulow all but obliterates a reserve division.

Falkenhiem himself takes on Rennenkamph.

The French in the Dardenelles can't hold out much longer.

The British get reinforcements into Egypt just before we launch a mass assault. The results are bloody.

The French launch a mass assault without Kitchener in command.

Our machine guns chew them up in a bloody series of battles.

A Russian division throws itself at our troops outside of Lodz. Not one man makes it back to their starting positions. An entire division is wiped out or captured.

Kaiserlautern continues, and this wave of French take even heavier losses than the previous one!

North of Lodz a massive Russian army attacks our forces.

We pull back, but Russian losses continue to run high.

The sixth day of fighting at Kaiserlautern sees British troops fed into the meat grinder.

The Austrians chop up another Russian Division.

The Italians begin their offensive.

They get off to a good start.

The machine guns run red hot – how long can the Entente take these kinds of losses?

The Russian advance into Armenia continues to be costly for them.

The massacre in Kiaserlautern has caused our national morale to rocket – each battle netted us several points.

We can activate Rasputin, and for 5ep, I think its a no-brainer.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I order some counter attack on the Western front – the Entente must be nearly played out after losses like those suffered last month!

I try to keep up the pressure in East Prussia.

The Russians may have made a mistake here – They are attacking into West Prussia with a good force, but I have a chance to cut the rail lines to Warsaw. I'm also moving Hindenburg and his army south to try and blunt their offensive.

Here my men desperately need time to rest and replace losses.

There is little we can do against the Italians.

We need to rest up in Serbia.

Armenia is a mess.

The Turks need more troops everywhere!

The Italians continue to advance.

But we are able to hold them in some areas.

We push the Russians back, at heavy cost.

We attempt to cut off a Russian force, but they pull back out of the trap.

We push towards Warsaw from the north.

There is vicious back and forth fighting in what amounts to a meeting engagement in Saar.

Our push against the Russian supply lines has drawn off a lot of enemy troops and blunts their offensive.

The Russians have to bring up a lot of reinforcements to prevent us cutting the southern rail line to Warsaw.

The Kitchener offensive has slowed down – their units must be near shattered.

In East Prussia we push against a couple of smaller Russian forces to the east of our northern most units.

Hindenburg pushes out of West Prussia from the north, while Oitenger pushes from the south. Other units try and recover strength.

There are some local counter attacks here.

I try and deploy our main force on the Italian border to match their advance – but the rail lines are occupied, so it may well be a fight to do so.

Like Everyone, the Serbian front need more troops.

I'm shifting forces to deal with the British now.

We may be in trouble in Egypt, those fresh troops are numerous.

On the very southern part of the Western front we push the French back.

The Saarbourg fortress falls to Kitchener, but not before bloodying his forces.

There are more heavy British losses in Africa.

We push into Elsass, but are pushed back with heavy losses – we force the British to commit their forces once more though!

Conrad wins a pyrrhic victory.

The Russians pull back from Hindenburg in the north, but our south attack advances.

A quieter month, but nothing could be as brutal as last.

Cracks are beginning to show in the Entente – Britain is suffering under it's losses.

We have two more events to play.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

HannibalBarca posted:

I've noticed in my game as well that Britain seems particularly vulnerable to getting lots of rebel alignment -- unfortunately it doesn't have any Revolution or Mutiny events, which makes their rebel alignment a bit pointless :v:

Actually, its not, once Rebel alignment reaches 80% every point above that is a 1% chance per turn of that side capitulating and coming out of the war!

I've a long way to go, but there is a chance of Britain peaceing out!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Combat strength - the higher the number the more powerful the stack - although for enemy units the total is everything in the region, even when there are multiple stacks - so you can see two or three stacks with 4000CS, but in reailty is more likely spread amoungst ten stacks.

The western front seems to be holding, I'm just going to have to try and drive the Russians national morale down with a few big victories then hope the revolution kicks off! After that, I'm not sure what to do in the West, bar attempting the Schileffen plan in 1918....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I order counter attacks along the western front – including a hopeful push in the south, where the Allies have apparently withdrawn their forces. I'm a little worried about this, but the Allies have been attacking hard for months, and must have poor cohesion! I just have to send another wave of men at them....
God, it's so easy to see why WWI generals fought as they did.

Local counter attacks are also ordered in West Prussia.

Hindenburg is leading a general offensive in Poland – lets hope we can engage and defeat that large force!

I'm still worried by this push, but I'm consolidating my forces to try and force an major engagement – on the defensive!

The Bulgarians are now in charge of the war in Serbia.

The Italians are advancing as I don't have enough troops here, but then again, I can't spare them from Russia at this time.

Stacks have a habit of combining and lowering the CV, I split the Turks and try a limited attack. More Turkish generals are being promoted.

Armenia is a mess, but at least the enemy is in full retreat on the eastern flank!

We bring up the big guns and hammer the British lines – when we advance, they take heavy losses.

Nearby, Kitchener holds firm.

The Tsar himself is in the field at the head of half a million men.

The Austrians rout a much larger force.

Then again, they also lose Belgrade.

The Turks defeat the British.

The next day sees the Saar offensive continue splendidly, they Entente has now lost 130,000 men in two days to our own losses of around 50,000.

Kitchener holds on by the skin of his teeth – and ramparts made of dead troops.

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a stalemate before.

The Tsar advances north quickly, but has left a lot of troops behind, and attrition is beginning to bite.

The Austrians obliterate a Russian division (and captured ballon corps).

Hindenburg advances.

The Bulgarians defeat the Greeks as they advance.

On the 7th day, Joffre is able to stop us, at 5:1 losses. And using a million men.

A Serbian division is destroyed by Bulgarian troops.

The Italians assault one of our forts.

The Russians reel before the Hindenburg offensive.

The Turks continue to advance in the far east of Armenia.

I was right, the Entente has left their southern flank unguarded – they must have needed the manpower to push the Kitchener offensive.

They are crumbling now!

They hold us off in Gallipoli, but we have the weight of numbers.

That turn just took an hour and a half to process.....

Oh god, here we go again.....

With the weather closing in, I order a general advance on the Western Front – soon I will bed our troops in for winter, but if I can force the Entente to retreat and reclaim ground before then, then all is good!

We continue to push the Russians as well – I hope to surround and destroy the force in Allenburg.

Hindenburg has advanced and conquered three provinces, and I hope for more gains.

Joffre stops our advance dead.

We continue to advance in Mainz however.

We win in Prussia, but its nowhere near as decisive as I would liked it to have been.

The Australians continue to perform poorly.

Their forces in Gallipoli are also collapsing.

It looks like the Russians are pulling back here.

We win a bloody victory in Serbia.

Hindenburg faces the Tsar.

The French stop our advance.

The Russians advance to the north of Warsaw, but at a cost.

There is another wave of assaults at Gallipoli.

Another little bit of France is mine.

We repulse a French advance in the neighbouring province.

We try and slam the pocket shut once more.

The Bulgarians advance into Salonika.

The French exploit their victory at Metz and are across the Rhine! This is a disaster! They then advance into Frankfurt – My men can never move that fast!

That said, their morale is plummeting, how long can they keep this up with these losses?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://www.dropbox.com/s/222t980wvnkha8g/1%20-%20The%20Great%20War.hst?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ic041e7xsa5i6pv/2%20-%20The%20Great%20War.hst?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/li5jlgij51fnpjn/3%20-%20The%20Great%20War.hst?dl=0

There you go - don't spoil to much for me!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

dublish posted:

How much advice do you want on army organization? Von Bόlow's got a 50% combat penalty that you could get rid of with a single button.

Hows that? I've not looked at the turn, and fixed the autostacking marching to the guns produces.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I order more counter attacks on the western front.

I sort our command structure out a bit in Prussia and go on an offensive.

Poland is a mess, but Hindenburg must rest up and await more generals to support him, but Conrad will try an offensive.

Things are looking better here.

We have reversed most of their gains here.

Things are looking better in Serbia, but I need more generals.

Italy is still advancing – the 600 stack is at a massive penalty, again, due to lack of Generals.

This is a feint to draw in their reinforcements and hurt their cohesion.

The main attack is happening across the Rhine.

The British will not last long in Gallipoli.

Nor in Egypt it seems.

We attack into Mainz, and while we take 63,000 losses and are stopped, the Entente lose a further 103,000 men stopping us!

Another attempt to flank across the Rhine is stopped.

This is the only battle on the entire Eastern front.

The Entente drive deep into Germany – but have they left their flanks weak?

In Prussia we hunt down Russian units, while Bulow attempts to advance.

Conrad advances while Hindenburg rests and reorganises. The area they control is slowly getting smaller though!

We continue to skirmish in Galazien, both sides have large numbers of troops here, but cannot pin down their enemies.

We'll soon have the generals to properly fight here.

The slow advance on Cairo continues.

Heavy Entente losses continue to be a theme as we retake Pflaz. You can also see we occupied Metz without a fight.

Falkenhayn directs the mauling of a Russian Corps.

Conrad gets in on the action with a surprisingly easy victory.

The Bulgarians engage and defeat the Serbians again.

I push hard in Gallipoli to finish of the British troops and free up this army.

Another attempt on Elsass is stopped after heavy fighting.

The Russians advance on the easternmost Austrian flank.

The Turks reach the gates of Cario.

The French desperately counter attack to retake their homeland – they do, but with atrocious losses!

The Austrians give the Italians their first taste of defeat.

The Greeks win their first victory and stop a Bulgarian advance.

With news of the first snows follow the news of crumbling Entente morale – we may be at the end of this years campaign season, but I have a few clean up battles to fight, next year, we will see about breaking them once and for all.

Britains support is looking very rocky....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I order some limited advances into empty territory – the main thrust is against the enemy force now trapped behind out lines.

We have forced the Italians back into their country – somehow!

Mud and hills mean I have shut down Serbia for now.

With the British gone, I begin to move most troops from Gallipoli.

The march to Cairo continues.

With snow on the ground, I order only one attack in Prussia.

Poland to awaits better weather – although I do hope the Russians attack defensive positions in the snow.

I missed a unit.

We begin to assault the force trapped in Fort Said.

The Italians attack once more.

The Russians attack at Tarnopol

The Turks continue to advance.

A push on Mainz is stopped.

I order no advances on the western front.

The Russians sneak into Konigsburg again.

I reorganise in Poland.

That failed assault pushes me out of Port Siad.

The French launch a mass assault to push us from their country.

We are pushed back from another toehold.

The Crown Prince can not prevent further advances into Germany.

Belgrade changes hands once more.

Things are back and forth on the Italian border.

We withdrew causing 3-1 losses on the enemy, and you call that a defeat?

The Russians are on the move in Albania again.

The British are turning things around in Egypt. I was hoping for more colonial incompetence.

Entente morale continues to crumble – and Russia approach the point where they will start to see rebellion increasing.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

alex314 posted:

Troops from Gallipoli will be needed to repulse Russians from Armenia and maybe help Bulgarians. So many fronts, so few forces.

Yeah, I could win any one front easily, but then I'd lose ground on the others!

Looking at things, I think I may be able to try one short hop offensive this year with Hindenburg to take Lodz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I order our men to hold or move to prevent further advances into Germany.

I have a massive superiority in Poland, so we will make a push on Lodz and threaten Warsaw.

We will also attempt to push back the Italians.

We are forced out of France.

We take heavy losses, but I was not sending these guys any more reinforcements.

The Austrians are pushed back at cost.

Their main force is harder to shift.

The British counter attack continues!

Somehow the Bastard French continue their advance.

Hindenburg moves into position north of Lodz, but it seems the Tsar is also in position to try and stop this major offensive.

The French bulge expands like a Frenchman's pants outside a brothel.

An attempt to advance up from behind the Tsar is stopped.

The Entente advance north is worrysome.

This is going to be brutal.

It's a bad month for spies.

The Battle for Lodz begins, the Russians bring twice the men we do, and our commanders pull the assault.

The flanks get pushed again.

We lose hard at Belgrade.

We advance back into Port Siad.

Haig pushes forwards – where is Kitchener.

Somehow the French have 200,000 men in the south.

So many losses. So many dead.

TildeATH posted:

Would you say it's all quiet there?

Hell no.

• Locked thread