Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Central Powers and then execute Rupprecht as your German war plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

As much as I agree that Russia doesn't get enough love, they unfortunately have a much narrower range of stuff to do than the CP or WE in this game (they don't even get to control the Entente's diplomatic efforts). Plus, playing CP or WE gives you the ability to risk your entire dreadnought fleet on THE DECISIVE BATTLE :black101:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Central Powers, but I wonder if it's actually necessary to fight the Eastern Powers beyond a token effort before they have a civil war forcing them out of action.

The Civil War (and other negative events) is triggered via a national morale system that is honestly so jury-rigged and insane that it's actually kind of impressive, but I won't steal Grey's thunder by trying to describe it. Suffice to say, you will need to replicate CP successes against the Eastern Entente for the Civil War to occur.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Trin Tragula posted:

Central Powers. Any chance that this game has the Caucasus in it, or am I hoping for too much?

The entire world is represented, basically, including the Caucasus, but most non-European areas are represented by "boxes" at the edges of the map, which can move forces towards Europe (often via other boxes) but are typically far from the main fighting. Same goes for a lot of the colonial areas; boxes are also used for some diplomacy and commerce raiding stuff.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Looks like Russia is about to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory once again :smug:

on re-examination this joke doesn't make much sense

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 27, 2017

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Sixkiller posted:

The players who picked the Western Entente should switch to their Eastern counter part.

or they should switch to the other faction that can substantively play the naval game! (I'm guessing here tbh, for all I know the HSF loses every time)

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Crazycryodude posted:

Does this even represent the naval war? It's an AGEOD game so I'm assuming it uses some unholy abomination of cards and off-board boxes or something to try and approximate it.

Off-board boxes for sure. I'm not sure if there are any naval decision cards (I'm playing EE in my only "serious" PBEM game and I'm only 4 turns in; I can't get more than a few turns playing solo as CP before giving up in despair), but naval units themselves are represented in the same way that they were in CW2, for example, as units with leaders and so on. There's also commerce raiding, U-boats, and Blockades, but, again, I've not played a game far enough to see how exactly they work.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

1C

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Jack2142 posted:

On the flip side I wonder if we can Italy to join our side in the war?

You can but you basically have to give them the Habsburg family jewels free of charge to even have a shot at it.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

What could go wrong?

:v:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Epicurius posted:

If Germany doesn't attack Belgium, will Britain even get involved?

they still have an entente drift, and is one of two nations (the other being the US) that can never be convinced to join the CP.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

We must convince Turkey to join the war so that the Caliph can rouse the Muslims of the world to Jihad against Britain and France! :black101:

Grey Hunter posted:

That's the expression of a man who expects to kill a lot of Russians.

[extremely Hoffman voice] more like the expression of a man who's confused and tired and needs a nap

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

I mean, much smaller formations accidentally blundering into and engaging entire enemy armies wasn't exactly unheard of in the first few weeks of WWI.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

did you just have your U-Boats hanging around in the Channel for no reason? :ohdear:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

TildeATH posted:

Alright either I can't read or Grey can't because it looks to me like you only killed ten thousand men of Rennenkamp's hundred thousand man army.

TEAW battle reports are tricky in that the report will indicate the number of soldiers in the province in the battle report rather than those engaged, I believe.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

CongoJack posted:

it took violating Belgium's sovereignty to get britain in the war in reality, what the gently caress brought them in this time?

Realistically, the British had basically guaranteed that if the High Seas Fleet sortied, that they would defend the French coastline in the North (the French fleet was responsible for the Mediterranean essentially). So 1) the British government would have felt bound by guarantees to France and 2) the British military establishment would not have been particularly sanguine had the High Seas Fleet sortied against France in the North Sea/English Channel.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

How is is that the Russia-focused warplan caused the Germans to fare even more poorly in the East?!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

>outnumbered 1.58:1
>inflicting 9:7 casualties

uh w-we're winning guys national morale has never been higher

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Agree with the above. Fund infantry and artillery research directly; fund aviation via Fokker; trigger Third Boer War; promise gains to Bulgaria and tell Italy to go gently caress itself.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Can anyone tell me what the formation icons at the bottom of the battle screens signify?

Battle Plan used by either side, I think.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Kavak posted:

Event text presumably doesn't change depending on battle plans. The Kaiser sacked him because the war wasn't over by Christmas.

tbh, sacking the Supreme Command after Russia nearly seized Koenigsberg in response to a Russia-focused German deployment seems pretty reasonable

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

All out offensive at every available opportunity, the strategy of delaying elsewhere while focusing on Russia has so far been a failure. We must simultaneously attack in the East, West, Caucasus, and Egypt, and attempt to overwhelm the Allies somewhere!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

hot take: we're losing

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

The German people demand revenge against Perfidious Albion! SORTIE THE HIGH SEAS FLEET! :black101:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

thetruegentleman posted:

Tempting as that is, losing big ships does horrific things to national moral; as such, it's almost never worth the risk.

[extremely H+L voice] Your majesty, the current Chancellor here is simply unacceptably defeatist and must be removed from office at once.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

I'll be interested to see how or if Grey can salvage this. I'm a few months behind him (and quite a few NM points ahead of him) in my own Central Powers game, but went with historical warplans across the board. Schlieffen petered out in Belgium (no idea how to get it to its historical point), but the Austrian fortress-cities are currently holding strong, Belgrade is under siege (but no progress is being made, and I'm loathe to order an assault), and Lodz is currently being attacked by newly mobilized corps of German forces. East Prussia is a bit of a stalemate so far.

Turkey just joined though, and its Order of Battle is monstrously bad

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 4, 2017

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

PittTheElder posted:

How does the AI handle the Central Powers, are they dangerous at all?

A friend and I are doing a PBEM where we each play half of the Entente; he says they got to the gates of Paris in the West but that their armies sort of dissolved there. He took tens of thousands of prisoners through some opaque mechanic that he can't remember seeing a notification for, so the Central Powers AI seems to have blundered its way into Germany's worst possible First Marne nightmare.

On the other hand, the German AI also walked into Verdun :shrug: For my part, I didn't press the issue in East Prussia (partly because those armies start off unorganized and therefore get really bad activation rolls), and have mostly focused on walloping Austria.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

We're doomed, time for the worker to overthrow the bourgeois government and institute a People's Republic!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

it's early December and I just had my first Disaster Battle in my own Central Powers game. Potiorek is so goddamn bad. :cripes:

though, to be fair, Putnik was pretty great

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 5, 2017

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Gort posted:

I don't get why Kitchener is always taking higher losses than forces he outnumbers ten-to-one. Is defense just that strong? Or is there something dragging him down about having such a vast force?

He may be over the command limit, or there may be some penalty associated with having too many units engaged at once. The AGEOD battle system is kind of opaque about how and why losses are taken.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

TildeATH posted:

Am I the only one who thinks of General Kushner whenever they read Kitchener?

I hear "General Cushman", mostly because of the opening bits of this infamous deleted scene from Oliver Stone's Nixon biopic.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

More like Kaiserslaughter. It works either way you read it, because it's a slaughter and the Kaiser's not even mad, actually, he's laughing.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

I've noticed in my game as well that Britain seems particularly vulnerable to getting lots of rebel alignment -- unfortunately it doesn't have any Revolution or Mutiny events, which makes their rebel alignment a bit pointless :v:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Is there a better game about WWI that has an engine that isn't trash? This game seems rather bad at simulating WWI.

The only other vaguely grognard-flavored WWI game I've played is "Commander: the Great War" which is decent-ish in singleplayer but doesn't pose much of a challenge and lacks some of the historical flavor of this game (and is completely broken in MP).

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Wait, dublish, can Bulgaria get a GHQ? Or can they attach to other nationalities?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

wedgekree posted:

Also I don't think I've ever /seen/ Conrad winning an easy victory with lopsided casualties.

Conrad can do alright. It's Potiorek that will manage to take 60,000 casualties in a one-day skirmish against a Serbian division.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

At least there won't be any Dolchstosslegende at this rate :v:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

MANime in the sheets posted:

Yup. It could also collapse really fast, considering they're that low before Lodz or Warsaw have even been assaulted, much less Riga or things actually.... y'know, inside Russia.

of course, given that Nicholas outnumbers Hindenburg 3 to 1, not sure how close we are to actually taking either of those

and meanwhile the Western Entente juggernaut is slowly grinding across the Rhine :suicide:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

You can right click on a city on the map to see the "buildings" in the province that produce material, and there are definitely Rheinland provinces that produce vital war supply that it's really tough to manage losing as the Centrals if you want to keep apace of artillery production, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Status report from a parallel universe: my Central Powers game is going great! We've developed a strongly held line from Boulougne to the pre-war Franco-German border, have sent EE national morale into a death spiral (though have yet to capture any major city besides Lodz), are hunting down the last few Serbian militia units, are making progress against Romania, closed Salonika almost as soon as it opened, are mopping up Gallipoli, have just smashed Yudenich's army at Kars, and are about to push on Cairo. Italy just joined though, so it's possible that Austria could shatter. We'll see!

• Locked thread