Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Welcome to motherfucking Dwarf Fortress!!!

For this fort we're gonna use Masterwork Mod 1.23. It adds some extra useful features to the game, and generally adds more things to play with. It's no more complicated than vanilla DF.

I know It's been a while or never since some of you played so I'm gonna document this first year is a really tutorial way. Probably gonna be boring lol but hell.

We embarked on this location

Which is awesome because it has a volcano on it, and its pretty cold so it's gonna snow half the year. But there's no river so everyone's probably gonna die of dehydration!

The map on the right is the whole world. The middle map is zoomed in, with the cursor (not visible, oops) on the red chevron. The map on the left is a zoomed in picture of the red chevron, with the colored parts being our embark area. That's where our game will take place.
We have an embark with a volcano, mostly "Good" biome, with some grassy neutral lands in the bottom left. What's cool about this is we get animals from both the "good" biome and the "neutral" biome. The "Joyous wilds" means this is the most savage and epic of the good biome variants so we'll get poo poo like giant unicorns. Hell yeah

These guys embarked on a hill, so the wagon immediately collapsed, dropping all of our goods on to the ground.
Shown are our pack oxen and some good dogs. Also 2 cat (lmao). The dwarves are on the same tile, under the animals.

Down a few Z levels, we have a sweet, flat location to dig into the mountain side. This is where we are gonna start

Yeah, all that white is snow. The triangles are ramps, which are like slopes things can walk on to get to a higher Z level.

(Newbies: Press < and > to go up/down Z levels. You can only work on one level at a time, despite being able to see 10 below you. It's just an illusion, don't be fooled!)

First thing we gotta do is to get inside and out of the cold. To do this, we gotta dig. We have three miners to do that, each with the "mining" labor enabled. That means if you designate a mining job, these guys will respond to it when they can.

(white is enabled, dark grey is disabled labors, light grey is some but not all labors enabled in the category)

This is the labor screen. To get to it, we have to select a dwarf with the view key. A cursor will appear; a floating X. Control the X with the arrow keys, and you'll notice info will pop around on the right panel. The creature closest to the cursor will be what is displayed there.
If there is more than one creature on a tile, which there commonly is; hit v again to rotate through the creatures on the tile.

Once you have the dwarf selected, hit l (lowercase L not I)

From the labor screen, we can enable and disable labors. The way DF works, you don't control any dwarves at all. You simply assign jobs of various sorts, and the dwarves complete them as they get free time. Almost every action that require's a skill requires a labor to be activated. The best way to manage this is Dwarf Therapist, a third party utility that will make your life a lot easier.

This still probably looks confusing. It's really simple though. You click the "connect" button when you first open up the fort, then you simply click the box next to the dwarf you want to assign a labor to. Once you have all your labors set in place, click the commit changes button (on the right).
You can find this in both the starter pack and the Masterwork mod. I put a shortcut in the main folder of the .zip.

Back to the game. Our first move should be to carve out some sort of shelter. To dig, we designate a dig area. That's a d->d key combo. It'll all be muscle memory soon enough.
Now we take our cursor, and select a box to dig out.

d->d *move cursor* Enter *move cursor* Enter

Pretty much every designation is done this way. When you unpause, the brown squares that are being worked on will blink yellow. A miner is on his way to dig it out.

And there you have it. It's a hole. Ok this is taking a long time so if anyone has questions post them and I can address them as I go. Gonna start playing the fort now lol

Post questions you have below and I'll cover them as I go. I'd rather only spend time on stuff people need than making a lovely tutorial LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is it gonna matter if I start up tomorrow?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Succession:

Average Bear
extremely steampunk
frank.club
Robot Randy
Black Baby Goku
Bolverkur

Dwarf Names:

Larry (smallest/most retarded)
Luke (yellow skinned, small eyed)
Scrub-Niggurath
Average Bear (guy with the big axe please)
Pewdiepie (most epic dwarf)
Capntastic
trying to jack off (most handsome dwarf)
Munchables (noble/useless)
net cafe scandal (rapist)
Halloween Jack (military/engraver)
deathbagel (dedicated assdwarf)
Hihohe (engraver)
Fuubi (miner/military)
Zesty (military)
Bolverkur (military)
Robot Randy (soap maker)
Black Baby Goku (Chad)
Pumprag

Obviously non-imps cant be a chad or stacey.

Post if I missed you.

Saves:
Year 1, Spring: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1HMis8VTB-TcG0zSW9hVVViZk0
Year 2, Spring: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1HMis8VTB-TSUY2elNjaWVud1k
Year 3, Spring: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2ub655jc1kYZE5lNlRtaWVkWHM
Year 4, Spring: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_5CZ67m09WgN0JJazFOczN2Q0U

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 17, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Good stuff OP count me in, unless I don't get the file until after Persona 5 comes out and then I'll have to bow out.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Oh yeah, forgot the naming list. If you want to be named after a dwarf or want to name a dwarf something, post the name and profession

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Name the absolute most retarded and smallest dwarf Larry. Name the most Asian looking one Luke

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Here they are, the original 7(!!!) dwarves

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

*prepares a large glass of tea and takes out my reading glasses so I can read all 9001 words you just posted*

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Sweet, I will play a year in your fort my man. Put your game folder up on google docs or something, I've never used Masterwork or the tileset you're using so I'd like to just copy your whole setup for a succession fort, that way my contribution doesnt look completely different

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

everything about dwarf fortress looks awesome except for playing it

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

extremely steampunk posted:

Sweet, I will play a year in your fort my man. Put your game folder up on google docs or something, I've never used Masterwork or the tileset you're using so I'd like to just copy your whole setup for a succession fort, that way my contribution doesnt look completely different

Yah, a link to a download of all the poo poo you got on there would be cool.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

rediscover posted:

Yah, a link to a download of all the poo poo you got on there would be cool.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=5315

Here's the complete setup of everything I've been using. I'll upload the .rar of the actual save and poo poo at the end of Spring.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Average Bear posted:

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=5315

Here's the complete setup of everything I've been using. I'll upload the .rar of the actual save and poo poo at the end of Spring.

cool. im gonna make a file and dick around to get reaquainted with everything ty

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Poke around in the masterwork launcher, there's a lot of stuff you can pick and choose from. Definitely disable the succubi. just do it

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Designated a nice layout for the first part of the fort.

Snow is starting to melt!

uh oh...

:( rip good dog

That was quick. first death of the fortress, a dog fighting something called a fire maiden. Dogs will attack pretty much anything that might be a threat to the fortress, which isn't really great when we only had two.

I designate a zone to keep the animals inside.

These things are combat reports. They show up whenever some fight happens and can be opened with "r". The fire maiden tried some poo poo on a guy with an axe and got recked.

But not before this mason got messed up. This is the health screen for creatures. The red shows a serious injury, white is normal, brown is minor (bruising etc). The red isn't going to heal well on his own, but we're without a hospital or a doctor.
She's gonna have to wait for treatment, which is bad. Infections could occur in open wounds. And since the map is frozen at the moment, water isn't easy to come by for cleaning.
She can still work though, so I set her to work for some rock tables and chairs.

I also made the discovery I forgot to pack wood. And there's no trees here. And beds can only be made of wood. Ah poo poo

Miners continue digging out the fort. A mason, carpenter, mechanic, and craftdwarf's workshop are made. epic poo poo

Oh whats this

Sweet, so we have our first good biome animal. Its a flaming cat, which is cool. They don't seem hostile right now.

Turns out they're really scared of dwarves. They run away as soon as they see them.

The snow finally melted. It's spring for real baby. But the ponds are still frozen, so no water yet. that's why we brought tons of booze.

are you loving kidding me

even better, shes mad as hell

woah!

The mason managed to punch the hell out of the giant wolverine until it passed out from pain and started puking everywhere. Sweet.

And barely a scratch on her. This mason is pretty badass.

Everything's pretty quiet, so now's a good time to stockpile the food the non-miners have been picking. This is gonna take a while, but at least now dwarves won't be attacked just trying to get food.

boulders everywhere, place is a drat mess!!! But it's coming together. Few tables and chairs in the dining hall.

Summer is here, no dead dwarves yet.

bonus: 3d renders of the fort
outside

inside, trade depot

volcano on the mountain

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
mod edit: antisemitism removed

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 27, 2017

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Average Bear posted:

Dwarf names to be added:

Larry (smallest/most retarded)
Luke (yellow skinned, small eyed)

lmao

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LOL

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I have no idea how this game works despite having it installed on my laptop for six years, but I'll join in.

And my axe!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Water is melted! But it'll freeze again if it's not inside by winter.

The original 7 dwarves get bedrooms benefiting their rank and station

oops, these guys are starving inside! Forgot that some animals are grazers, and need to be kept outdoors to eat grass.

Migrants!

gah!! they're nearly all kids! Kids are loving worthless eaters who refuse to work in any way until they hit 12. In dwarf fortress, you can't assign them labors.

The fortress now houses 21 dwarves, 8 of whom won't have to fear from the mods of Something Awful ever again.

I make more bedrooms to accommodate them. no i dont have beds yet

One of these migrants was a hunter. Here's an example of how detailed DF's combat is. He will bring back the kill for meat, hides, and bones

Brewing doesn't cost water to do, and you can use pretty much any plant. Perfect for our hunter-gatherer society right now

Got a lot of plants gathered

Building a cistern to hold water

That lever on the right, when pulled, will open the white floodgate. Digging out the red X block, the water from the pond will flow into the cistern, where it won't freeze.

Connecting the ponds together lets me drain all the water for the fort

Nice

Kids playing make believe in the pantry

Farm is still not a farm. cant use it until I wet it with water, which I cant carry because no buckets because no wood. shameful

Autumn

Status of the fort. Can't get accurate readings on food (bottom left) due to not having a bookkeeping dwarf yet. I'll do that in autumn.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I can help answer questions if anyone needs me.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

I can help answer questions if anyone needs me.

whats your home address and work schedule?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Average Bear posted:

Oh yeah, forgot the naming list. If you want to be named after a dwarf or want to name a dwarf something, post the name and profession

You can name the most epic dwarf Pewdiepie.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Chad 7

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The mason getting wrecked immediately is pretty tragic

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It is incredibly important for my sexual health and wellness that I have a dwarf named after me

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
def gonna keep an eye on this thread for dwarf antics

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

lol dipshit

This guy will keep books forever now. He's gonna count every rock.

Caravan from the mountain home is here, so we might get wood!! I never made anything to trade but we have some cut gems laying around.
also I dug out a farm closer to the ponds to irrigate it and the water froze. Good luck next overseer lol

:allears:

:hai:

We can talk about what we want the caravan to bring next autumn. Higher priority means they'll bring more (probably) but it'll cost more.

ok

They want stuff too. they'll give us extra money for these items. They rarely get them lol get recked

We need this job to trade!

I assign the fisherdwarf dipshit to make rock stuff to trade. The ponds are frozen dumbass!!!

fort

Neat dfhack trick. Press ctrl v with your cursor over an order to designate the whole vein for digging. Super useful.

We have 400 bucks worth of gems. We can buy wood for 3 bucks each... nice

I buy some wood, barrels, and fish. The trader made 200 profit, which is fine because our trader is green as hell.

Good

Oh right, we still don't have beds

First come, first serve

No dwarf has been retarded enough yet for Larry, although there are several small rear end children around LMAO

This is one of the new buildings in masterwork. It lets you take raw ore and turn it into pure ore and a rock, which is good. Do this for all ores.

Merchants leave

Uh oh

Some dumbass from the caravan picked a fight with a pegasus and got owned.

on
Rediscover is actually a weaponsmith, so if he makes a weapon it'll be an artifact and he'll max out his weaponsmithing skill. Best ore we have right now is iron, which isn't bad at all on an artifact.

gently caress

Ok this is the new military screen. It's big and scary so ask questions on it when you need to. I'm going to start putting the more useless dwarves in a militia. They're not going to have armor or a barracks right now.

Small retard spotted!!!!!

*bows respectfully*

Simple but epic

41 Dwarves, still mostly kids.

This is pretty much the best skill to have.

Migrants flood in. we might be a little tight on food...

Lots of idlers with not much work. I have the dwarves dump the unsightly boulders everywhere into a pile.

And it's winter. Notice a lot of thirsty dwarves because NO ONE WILL BUILD THE loving WELL ALREADY.

Our stocks. No more alcohol, have to rely on water. Food is running short too. And no farms mean it's gonna be really tough.

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 26, 2017

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is loving awesome

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

i dont think I have ever had a fey mood result in a useful artifact in any of my dwarf games. props to rediscover for crafting an epic axe for the glory of The Factory of Laughs

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

trying to jack off posted:

everything about dwarf fortress looks awesome except for playing it

I wish I had the patience to play it

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

The well got made, so water crisis averted

everyone is thirsty as hell

Building a hospital. Don't have any doctors yet, but hell anyone can learn.

Snow falling

Hunter ran out of ammo, beat a Giant Stag to death with his crossbow.

This Stag weighs about 7 boulders, so its slow moving to bring it back

I designate the hole above the farm as a pond, so dwarves begin a bucket brigade to irrigate it.

Very slowly wetting the ground. This'll leave mud, which can be farmed.

These guys are scaring the cows

this but bigger

Our militia needs something to be of any use

We did it, Reddit! farms up

I accidentally dumped some fish while cleaning rocks, and now its starting to smell... I have it dumped outside

Shields will be nice to have too. We only have a proficient armorsmith around, so these won't be the same quality as Rediscover's axes.

Designating a temporary outdoor barracks

So let's get a tutorial on the military down. This is our main screen (keypress m). We see our squads (groups of up to 10 dwarves) on the left (randomly genned names ftw), the members in the middle, and the rest of the dwarves in a list on the right.
We want these guys to grab the new axes and shields.
Let's hit n for uniforms

On this screen, we have 3 prefab uniforms on the left, what they entail in the middle, and a list of all possible options to add on the right.
We're gonna make our own uniform.
Let's press c to make a new one

By default, it has nothing in it. We're just gonna add shields and axes.
Right now we're looking at possible "armor" aka body slot options to add. We can change this with the keys at the top of the screen.

We want Shields first. We made 7 iron tower shields, and we want them to grab those, not any other shields that might be laying around.

Now we add the axes. We go to Weapons, and scroll down to battle axes (which we made).

Now the dwarves will pick up battle axes and shields when they are available. But notice the Material selection key? If we wanted, we could specify "iron" battleaxes and shields, but there's no need. This becomes more important as you get better materials than iron to equip with. You don't want dwarves clunking around in iron when you've got steel.

Now we have to Assign the uniform to the squad members. to do this, we go to the equip screen

From here we can equip each dwarf with equipment. But that takes forever, so equipping them with the uniform is much faster for groups.

Let's assign Uniforms from here. Hit U, and move to the right where "Uniform 5" is. Highlight it and hit Shift-Enter to apply it to the whole squad. Now you see the green weapon rack thing as you scroll through the squad. Every member is assigned whatever is in Uniform 5 (battle axe and tower shield). Even the empty squad slots are assigned it, so if more join, they automatically gain the uniform.

Now let's make them train with their new stuff. Remember that barracks we made?

Let's let the nuggets train here. Just hit "t" with the room highlighted. Now let's go back to the military screen.

Let's go to the schedule screen. This will let us decide when they are on "active duty". While on active duty, they will train in the barracks on the assigned months and not preform any civilian labors. They'll usually get really pissed at this, so let's give them every third month off. Hit "x" on the months you want them to go back to civilian life. They will keep hold of their arms and armor while civvies.

10 minimum to start training? Not gonna work with a 7 dwarf squad. Let's reduce that to 2.
edit the order, then press "-" on the numpad to reduce the minimum training squad. Shift-Enter when done.

[img][/img]
Now in that month, only 2 members of the squad need be present for training. Let's copy that order to every training month.

EDIT: DISREGARD THE 2 MINIMUM. This actually doesn't need to be changed. In fact you'll end up with only 2 active duty dwarves during training month.

Last step!! Let's turn the squads "alert" to active.
Go to alerts from the main military menu.
Scroll down to "active/training"
Move the cursor over to the squad and hit enter. Done!

Congrats! you just made your first militia!
Back to the game.

Militia commander gets strapped

Farms are growing crops

We need to dig deeper for riches

Cobaltite here is as effective as iron, and also a pretty blue color.

Nice

Also nice. These are fairly rare, it's a passage between cavern levels.

An underground cave aka outdoors for dwarves. In it you'll find underground wildlife, tower cap trees, and underground plants. Also more water!
Down here we can see gold, silver, gems... hell, we're set

Speaking of underground wildlife...

I think we can take em. We need that wood.

Let's try out those new weapons

That was easy.

giving the commander the artifact axe

Here's the combat log for one of the fighters. I think these are epic as hell.

Second mood! Thank god we got wood in time

hm ok

Spring is here and I'm done!

Overview, end of 125 (year 1)

Stocks

Dwarves

Armok Vision (couldn't get an indoor shot, it was night time and too dark to see)

Files going up in a sec

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 27, 2017

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I like Dwarf Fortress please name a fortress dwarf after me even though I will not play I just like to read

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Rediscover is taking over the fortress for the next year. Succession info, saves and stuff moved to this post:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814720&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post470703325

Capntastic posted:

I like Dwarf Fortress please name a fortress dwarf after me even though I will not play I just like to read

Added

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like this game now

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Some cool poo poo about the world our fort takes place in:

The world:

Elves are actually nomadic now, every one of their sites got owned by the humans and orcs.

Our parent civ:

Us:

A war that started 2 years ago between the Orcs and the other Dwarven civilization. Things aren't looking good for them:

We aren't at war with the orcs, but that could change if they feel like it. What's cool about the new versions is all this history happens in real time as we play.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

name the most handsome dwarf after me

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
id be down for overseer if the fort hasnt been ran into the ground by the time my turn comes up

never played MW tho, ive got a few irl years of running forts in the base game under my belt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

I haven't played this game in a few years and I never got very far in it, but I love reading succession threads for it and I would like to be a dorf pls

• Locked thread