Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Id like to be a religious dwarf.. Catholic if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Scratch that. Id like to be a rapist dwarf.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

net cafe scandal posted:

Scratch that. Id like to be a rapist dwarf.

done

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah the ralp turn

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Nicest dwarf you'll ever meet.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

make me an alcoholic dwarf

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I kinda followed what was happening until my eyes glazed over on the military stuff but I think I'll actually have fun trying to puzzle it out. Question about farms: do they need to be outside? It looked like you were plotting and making mud indoors but was just prep to move that poo poo outside ASAP once the weather turns again?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

I kinda followed what was happening until my eyes glazed over on the military stuff but I think I'll actually have fun trying to puzzle it out. Question about farms: do they need to be outside? It looked like you were plotting and making mud indoors but was just prep to move that poo poo outside ASAP once the weather turns again?

There's like 50 crops, some of which need to be inside and some of which need to be outside and a few that are either I think? But the most basic crop is mushrooms that grow inside in the dark

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

i cant read any of those posts

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

It's like a map game but with ASCII art

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

elf help book posted:

I think it's just my bad storytelling. not good at taking good contextual screenshots. The graphics pack makes everything pretty apparent what things are lol

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Lmbo

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I think rediscover is taking some time getting back into the game so I got the go-ahead to kick off year 2.

It's been a while since my last time playing Dwarf Fortress and I've never played the Masterwork mod, gonna take a quick tour to get my bearings

looking at the stocks...

OH MY GOD. its a dwarf nightmare! but we have tons of plants. lets just make booze out of those.

a look at our dwarf citizens, looks like we have all the important jobs covered. But we'll press gang Ranirol to be our full-time brewer. this is top priority

Ranirol already had the brewer labor assigned. the red icon means those labors will be removed from the dwarfs (if we were adding labors, it would be a green icon). We don't want other dwarfs getting in Ranirol's way and we dont want Ranirol getting distracted by other jobs

Our fort is small right now so before i hit unpause and dwarfs start working we should assign specific labors. that way if something isnt getting done we just have to look for one dwarf to figure out why he isnt doing it. only thing to keep in mind is militia dwarfs - they can't train and do labor at the same time.

assigned a lot of labors to unskilled dwarfs just so we can get some workshops built like the loom (to gather spider silk) and clothier(to make bags for seeds, which we are getting a lot of now that we're brewing)

since we have access to the caverns now we can start harvesting underground wood, so we can make barrels to store our booze. we might need wood for fuel too. luckily tower caps and fungiwood are giant mushroom-trees that yield tons of wood. the big purple thing is a miasma cloud - where is it coming from?

an ogre died down here. turns out our marksdwarf took him down. the stink is pretty bad

Average Bear, militia commander, wielder of Varigokdag the legendary great axe which was forged by rediscover in a trance of divinely inspired craftsdwarfship. Father of..... Larry?

distracted by frogs.... dwarf children are not that effective at gathering

it turns out that glowfrogs are pretty big, i thought they were just like normal frogs. We have some fighting to do! Giant glowing frog legs are on the menu now boys

whoops, this body got dumped in our corpse/refuse stockpile. I guess this is the speardwarf from the Mountainhomes who tried to fight a pegasus. We need to lay him to rest or his ghost will start spooking us

made a coffin and put this dead idiot's grave right by the entrance to the fort just to make sure everyone knows not to fool around with the mythical winged horses outside

dont gently caress with dwarf childs. they dont like fighting but they will mess your poo poo up

giant ants are just kinda wandering into the fort from the underground caverns. We should put some traps in this hallway, maybe we can tame them?

23 dwarfs arrived in this migration wave and only two of them are useless children! Looks like we might have some hunters among them as well

oh.....

It'S the second month of Spring in year 2 of the Factory of Laughs and we have our first Forgotten Beast. i need to figure out the militia interface again, press some of these migrants into our army and take that thing out as soon as I can.

that story will be in my next post

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
does masterwork change the invasion requirements? in vanilla you need like 80,000 dollars of poo poo exported before forgotten beasts even look your way

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Robot Randy posted:

does masterwork change the invasion requirements? in vanilla you need like 80,000 dollars of poo poo exported before forgotten beasts even look your way

By default every invasion race can come at 20 dwarves. But 43.x changed invasions, so a full siege can only come if your parent civ is at war with a nearby civ.

edit: I might be wrong? Maybe any civ in range can siege you, regardless of war. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Siege

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 28, 2017

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Working on this fort on my personal save

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Average Bear posted:

By default every invasion race can come at 20 dwarves. But 43.x changed invasions, so a full siege can only come if your parent civ is at war with a nearby civ.

edit: I might be wrong? Maybe any civ in range can siege you, regardless of war. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Siege

it depends on how close you are to hostile civs i think. they have to travel overworld in real time so it can take several months for them to reach you after you meet the requirements. im p sure wealth exported determines the size and frequency of siege parties.

thats my experience with vanilla, i have no idea how much MW shakes things up

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Back to the fort to take care of this forgotten beast

this thing doesnt look so tough

Time to get some of our new migrants into the militia. A few of them came with crossbows so they are prime candidates, however the current militia uniform has shields and melee weapons assigned to all positions. We have to make sure the marksdwarfs have no uniform weapons assigned to their positions or else they might get confused looking for axes instead of getting right down into the fight

these guys look good, we'll just fill out the current militia with three marksdwarfs

best to fight it in the underground cavern. the axedwarf Mesran and militia commander Average Bear charge down the stairs and confront the beast as it's banging down the cavern door.

I tried to get a gif of this fight but somehow messed it up, but honestly the fight was over before i even knew it and soon the beast's corpse was being hauled away to the butcher

Just when things are settling back down an alert pops up about a shadow beast destroying a door in the caverns

there are five of them. I have no idea what these things do (they arent in the vanilla game) but they are building destroyers so lets prepare for the worst

the shadow beasts are banging down the door to the caverns so they are in a good position to ambush a ranger, beating him up a little

but then the militia comes down and evens the score

However there are casualties...

Once they made him drop his axe, it was all over for Average Bear! the first death of the fort. we have a lot of injured dwarfs too so we need to set up the hospital (which is already dug out but not designated and missing furniture) and try to get things back to normal

Another group of dusk ogres banging down doors. There are so many nasties down here that I'm considering moving the barracks/training grounds for our militia down to the caverns so they don't have to sprint through the fort whenever some baddies wander in

Worldstar!!

It's all ogre

The fort returns to normalcy

It's summer now and the hospital is slowly getting stocked with much-needed splints and crutches, thread, and soon soap. Average Bear has a tomb and our new mayor is making demands in between vomiting and passing out due to injuries he sustained while fighting the shadow beasts. Over the next few months we need to solidify our defenses, get industry going, start taming animals and expand housing for our growing population.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Rip me, dead in a season

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I will respectfully bow out of succession because I don't have the time to dedicate to it properly because of Persona 5 but I would do it if we did a new one later. Also ill be following along :D

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I'm going to have to postpone succession for the near future because I'm still figuring out how the heck this is played.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I'm going to have to postpone succession for the near future because I'm still figuring out how the heck this is played.

It's gonna be a while but if you're not ready by then I'll move ya back

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I want very badly to be a dwarf. Halloween Jack, military something and/or...engraver? I will draw on the walls of your fort.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

lol

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will be ready for my turn for sure Average Bear

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

nname a dumb crippled idiot dwarf fter this guy

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I would love to be the name of a dedicated Axedwarf.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

i'll try to get some dwarfs named after Thread Posters tonight when i play some more

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Add me to the succession list. I know how to play now

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I love this and i want to be dwarfed! Make me an Engraver if you can

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm in for dwarfing. Miner or military dwarf preferably.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Don't forget to name a rapist dwarf after me, net cafe scandal.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

net cafe scandal posted:

Don't forget to name a rapist dwarf after me, net cafe scandal.

please tell me this is a joke.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
today i found out i no longer have a place to live in two months so depending on when my turn comes up i may or may not be able to do it

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Robot Randy posted:

today i found out i no longer have a place to live in two months so depending on when my turn comes up i may or may not be able to do it

That really sucks bro, I feel for you. anyways make sure to PM Larry if you have any questions about your upcoming homelessness

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

I would like to be a useless noble dwarf pls, or whatever really

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'd like a Dwarf "Zesty" that would see combat. Great stuff so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I will be following along but I realize I know too much to participate

• Locked thread