Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

M_Gargantua posted:

I will be following along but I realize I know too much to participate

Know too much what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I think he means knows too much about the game, as opposed to most of the succession being relatively new to it

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

M_Gargantua posted:

I will be following along but I realize I know too much to participate

i dont think there are any rules like that. if the fort makes it to year 9 or 10 it might be good to have someone who "knows too much" lol

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Yeah I want to get all the new players in first so they can have a go, but I'm not against more people participating.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

NOTE: i hosed up my save file! The events in this post happened over the course of about a month in game time but I lost it and had to revert to a backup. Ah, poo poo!!! Let this be a lesson to everyone

Summer has come to Casualfences and the Factory of Laughs

Things to do:
Stock the hospital
Expand military
FOrtify/trap the caverns
Find fuel for refining steel
Build a nice room for the new mayor
Build rooms for all our dwarfs
Build special rooms like temple, library, inn/tavern
volcano magma forge

I noticed that our cistern is slowly being drained. the well is used so much (probably for cleaning and drinking by injured dwarfs) that the water isn't being replenished fast enough. Once it gets down to 1 zlevel deep, the well will start drawing muddy water from the bottom of the cistern and that will result in negative thoughts and infections

we could just dig out a more direct channel between the ponds and the cistern, and if we're going to do that then summer is the best time for it

digging the channel and monitoring the flow, i realized that maybe its the GOD DAMNED TREE clogging the tunnel between the ponds and the cistern. For now, getting rid of the diagonal channels is causing the cistern to fill back up again, so at least it's working

We do have access to a lake of fresh water in the cavern system. It needs another cistern there because it's only 1 zlevel deep, but thats a minor project that we can plan for

human traders have arrived

News of the world. my eyes glazed over when this popped up. if anyone actually reads the whole thing please let us know if theres anything interesting

Our trade agreement with the humans, this is the stuff they will buy. In our request for items that we want them to bring, we mostly asked for raw materials like wood, leather, cloth, and smelter fuel/refinement reagents

in trading with the humans we exchanged a few pots of prepared meals and all of our stone crafts for all of their wood, most of their cloth and leather, a few metal bars, and whatever metal weapons and items were left over that we could afford

No idea what this is, sounds fun though

We got some migrants, 15 of them. Then this happened

apparently our new arrivals are all horrified by the sight of the dusk ogre and shadow beast corpses stacked up in a pile in front of the fort, so we might move those eventually

fort plagued by a flock of wild kea men. the militia is helpless to stop them

Rapist Mayor net cafe scandal takes matters into his own hands

the kea men have stolen dozens of units of ammunition from the fort. this has motivated me to create a squad of marksdwarfs and have our two militia train on an alternating two-month schedule

Mayor net cafe scandal isnt even part of the militia. he just loves killing. maybe he is taking out all the aggression he's been building up from not being given a decent bedroom yet

what? how the...
combat log doesn't show that he sustained any injuries or was even fighting at the time of his death. maybe it was an old injury that finally did him in? time to check legends

an infection from that fight which was over 2 months ago. The second death of a citizen of Casualfences and it's also an Imp-named dwarf. Only the good die young...

When I went to load my game back up after exporting to Legends mode so I could figure out how the mayor died, I realized that I had copied the wrong save to my backup folder. Whoops!!! Dont be an idiot like me. Maybe this incident will result in an alternate reality where net cafe scandal doesn't die of a months-old infection while murdering kea people?

Luckily I lost only a month of game time but it will delay my next post a little. Im going to try to document less for this thread and go a little faster so I can pass it off to the next person before the weekend

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

No! It's not fair!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's why forgotten beats can be bad even if they're really weak ash monsters or whatever. They seemingly always have really bad diseases they give dwarves they fight

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I've been trying Masterwork out on my own some more. I really like a lot of the features you might call 'content' but maybe I don't need a constant stream of assholes assaulting my base. Is it known for being really busy with combat?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dwarf Fortress (A Complete Noob Lets Play) Part One: I'm gonna hijack this thread to post my impressions of DF and my first real attempt at playing!

Welcome to My Lets Play!

My First Dwarf

My Fortress

#Squad rolling out

gently caress I really don't even remember how to play this from the start....

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You didn't even include the mod in your squad? You're playing with fire BBG.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

You didn't even include the mod in your squad? You're playing with fire BBG.

I'll make sure you get in the first wave along with Rick and Morty and Stephen Universe The Dwarf

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Good luck BBG if you need help with anything about "DF" I don't really know how to play anymore but I am enthusiastic as all get out for your journey

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Black Baby Goku posted:

Dwarf Fortress (A Complete Noob Lets Play) Part One: I'm gonna hijack this thread to post my impressions of DF and my first real attempt at playing!

Welcome to My Lets Play!

My First Dwarf

My Fortress

#Squad rolling out

gently caress I really don't even remember how to play this from the start....

oh hell yeah, ASCII display ftw

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Starting to dig out the first floor!

well I guess I channeled into clay and now I'm stuck here? Can't make a ramp or stairs....This loving game.

Honest to loving god I'm already over this loving game!!! THIS PISSES ME OFF!

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

10 minutes in and I'm just about ready to give up because of how infuriating this game is...

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lmfao

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
ramps need an adjacent wall to be usable and if you dig out the supporting wall it destroys the ramp. u can see it happening in the first screen u posted lol

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Okay I figured it out, the ramp will collapse if you dig around both sides.

The Dwarves start hauling a bunch of bullshit into my store room

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Black Baby Goku posted:

Starting to dig out the first floor!

well I guess I channeled into clay and now I'm stuck here? Can't make a ramp or stairs....This loving game.

Honest to loving god I'm already over this loving game!!! THIS PISSES ME OFF!

Trolled bitch. This is what you get for not naming your dwarfs Pewdiepie.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pewdiepie posted:

Trolled bitch. This is what you get for not naming your dwarfs Pewdiepie.

Pweds... I got you on the migrant wave

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Black Baby Goku posted:

Pweds... I got you on the migrant wave

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well this is curious....

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I played a little tpnight, gonna try to finish the year off tomorrow

the time that I lost with my save file fuckup went pretty much just like before since it was only a month. there was no kea man attack, but net cafe scandal still died. RIP

Dwarf possession doesnt result in skill gain, and he just made a crappy granite amulet. Oh well

it's Autumn so the liason from the Mountainhomes is here to talk business. Lets be boring and request mostly the same stuff we asked of the human caravan

For the sake of record keeping heres what they will buy from us next year

I think we have everyone who wanted to be a dwarf now. Also our fort's population is a sex number... epic

Just when things were settling down, this guy rolls in, looking a little bigger and badder than the last one. But we have two full squads of trained and armed militia this time. should be enough!

One Man Trash
Jun 6, 2013

Black Baby Goku posted:

Well this is curious....

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

looks like I added trying to jack off twice, once as "trying to jack off" and once as "Max Payne" but thats ok

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
'Larry', Small Retard

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought two bears from elves on my game and now I have two war bears

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also a piece of dolomite woke up and started attacking people, but everyone kicked its rear end until it threw up mud everywhere. Now it's just running around my fort not bothering anyone and no one caring enough to kill it lol

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

It was a huge mistake not putting graphics in this game.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Black Baby Goku posted:

Well this is curious....

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Black Baby Goku posted:

Well this is curious....

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

this game rules and this thread rules. i'd like to be up for succession, but will have to refresh on how a lot of stuff is done as well as what's in masterwork. i really like that you can dig out a whole ore vein in this.

also make me a dwarf, a very angry militia dwarf

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
had to restart my fort because I forgot to save!!!!!!!!!!

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm just gonna make a separate thread because I don't wanna poo poo this one up

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Bolverkur posted:

this game rules and this thread rules. i'd like to be up for succession, but will have to refresh on how a lot of stuff is done as well as what's in masterwork. i really like that you can dig out a whole ore vein in this.

also make me a dwarf, a very angry militia dwarf

Added you

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
cross post:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815431

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Time for us to take down Tomig the gigantic scaly three-tailed theropod (which btw is a kind of dinosaur that runs on two legs)

This forgotten beast spawned to the north so we position both dwarf squads on the other side of the door separating thaat area of the caverns from the fort. Let's just wait for him to knock down the door and shoot his rear end when he comes through

Mother loving Larry is the first dwarf out the door, but he gets his monsters mixed up and charges after an innocent horned cave turtle who is just chilling and eating some cave moss. Then the rest of the dwarfs arrive and thats when I realize that I forgot to set the door to forbid passage so they all charge straight through after Tomig. Wild out!!

oh my god its a bloodbath

it took me almost half an hour to get GifCam to save this loving file

11 Casualties so far
trying to jack off, Capntastic, Fuubi, and Halloween Jack... I'm sorry....

I made some serious mistakes with this fight. first i didnt forbid passage thru the door so my melee dwarfs charged right in while the marksdwarfs sat back and didnt even see the monster. Then I also forgot that I had turned off "forbid death items" when I was messing around earlier, so a bunch of civilians ran into the middle of the melee and got crushed by the forgotten beast while trying to take the shoes off their dead comrades

Some highlights from the fight:

the combat log for the fight against Tomig is 36 pages long
Miner Chad Zuntir Sodelarelir landed the killing blow on the beast, digging out its spine with his pickaxe. somehow the monster survived a strike to the head in which the pickaxe became lodged in the skull
The two dwarfs who had any medical experience whatsoever were killed
Mayor Munchables has broken ribs and a punctured lung. he has been mandating the production of breastplates. i dont think these two things are related but taken together they are funny to me
There were 6 lost limbs, 1 bisection and 3 decapitations (and a head explosion) in the fight
cheese maker Bomrek Urangudogut lost both legs and a hand before the beast kicked his head into pulp
our soap maker was on the receiving end of two amputations, losing his left leg and his right arm, but is still alive and seems fine after medical treatment

In regards to the hospital, our two new medical dwarfs did a fantastic job patching up the wounded despite having absolutely no experience whatsoever. Guess it's not that hard after all

Death is all around... I am not okay with this.

A few weeks later and the fort seems to be recovering from the loss of 1/6th of its population. 12 migrants have arrived, maybe they heard there were some empty beds

An artifact buckler... not bad. We'll give it to the militia commander

It's winter and we're working on a new cistern in the cavern, because it seems like the cistern fed by the ponds might eventually dry up? I dont know, I thought it would but the first well dug last year seems to be working just fine. Still it would be nice to get a high quality well set up closer to the hospital

theres still some dangerous wildlife in the caverns which is slowing things down slightly

Small Retard Larry got his first kill... on a cave troll that already had an axe lodged in its head. Way to go Larry! :bravo:

Winter has been passing uneventfully. The new cistern is almost done, just trying to work out what zlevel to put the new well. It might have to be far above the level of the water itself

legendary miner chad is about to become a legendary mason, awesome

Spring has arrived! Going to post the status of the fort and the download link to the save file soon

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Overview of the fort

- The cavern lake cistern is dug and has a flood gate installed but isn't filled yet and the room for the well isn't dug either. we have a gold bucket and chain though
- Created a temple which includes all the coffins for our fallen dwarf brethren. It's not that fancy though
- Still need an inn and a library eventually
- All noble requirements are met I think
- Need to dig out and furnish more rooms soon
- Never got around to the magma forge, I was a little daunted by the prospect of even more wildlife attacks from the volcano
- Farms are easily sustaining the current population but might need expansion or tweaking. Cloth industry is doing pretty well due to web collection
- We might get a siege in Year 3?

I deleted all but the most recent backup save files because otherwise this thing was 1GB in size
download link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2ub655jc1kYZE5lNlRtaWVkWHM

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Fungah! You're up

edit: Because rediscover is still not ready... fail

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
with the threat of my eviction still being relatively far off, at the rate things are going im pretty sure ill be able to complete my turn.

also dwarf me as a soap maker

• Locked thread