Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Bolverkur posted:

uh yeah so i played this for some while before i realized: hey where is all that poo poo randy was posting about? so ive now downloaded the correct save

420 BITCHEEESSS

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

there are like seven layers of the main stairs filled with miasma and on the main level there is one tile with a shitton of clothes, massive amounts of rock and like 200 entries of remains

WHY

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
sounds like someone set up a dump zone there, reclaim everything with d-b-c and people should carry all the rotting poo poo to refuse stockpiles after that

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Set a new dump zone over magma and watch that fps shoot to the stars

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

mini update

first thing i see is a gross cloud of miasma that stretches through +/- 7 z-layers of stairs or something

its a one tile dump zone by the main stairs. what in armoks name

list of entitled millenials which are not happy. start building a tomb one layer down from the main catacombs. will update when ready, will designate tombs for important dwarves that earned it with kills or master artifice

the baron retards tomb will be decked out with this named coffin masterpiece

and a statue of goddamn facehuggers along with a golden dwarf

rediscover decides to be actually useful to make up for this poo poo brigade thats leading the fort

in the bottom cavern are a bunch of trees along with some tiny ugly cave imps that need to be killed. cant think of a thing that could go wrong with that. will have to brush up on how to command military squads and make sure they are decked out in iron armor

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
lol the races masterwork adds are all invariably retarded, absolutely nothing meshes with the tone of the game

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
this is loving awesome

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Robot Randy posted:

lol the races masterwork adds are all invariably retarded, absolutely nothing meshes with the tone of the game

Orcs are the only thing you should ever enable

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Robot Randy posted:

I'm convinced it's the DF version of those mods people make for like, half life where all the guns are overpowered

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It's not... it's usually really good but the current version of the mod is weird and not polished because the mod creator is biking the world and got kidnapped in the Central African Republic.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Average Bear posted:

It's not... it's usually really good but the current version of the mod is weird and not polished because the mod creator is biking the world and got kidnapped in the Central African Republic.

Good.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

mini update 2:

whats this?! a pre-emptive strike from the basement dwelling imps in the lowest cavern!

...wait is that goddamn larry fighting?

for this he gets to upgrade his retard playpen from Meagre to decent. as i check it out i see a Purple Haze emanate from pewdiepie's next door room.

[SQUALOR ALERT]

pewds gamer crib: rotten dog heart chop, *cow eye chop pastry*, withered toadstool, withered plump helmet.

what. the. gently caress.

munchables decides to start his unwinding descent into madness. this will most likely be the start of the inevitable death-spiral, i'm thinking. he claims a craftsdwarfs workshop and starts hauling poo poo to it.

at this point migrants arrive. here you see them crossing the proud mountaintop of Casualfences. below the lavapit can be seen. 12 dwarfs and only one kid. allright. all are immediately made into engraving slaves. around this time it seems randy has gone missing. thats no good

munchables starts making whatever dumb poo poo hes making, thank god. the death spiral is delayed by the mercy of Armok

turns out its an earring.

this dumb fuckin earring has tons of pictures on it, one of a gorlak (??????) laboring (????) as he settles a place (!!!!), another picture of a troll killing a goblin. most likely this is a metaphor for fyad forum posts. what a useless piece of lame garbage. i wonder what a piece of poo poo like this is actually worth?

FUCKEN MONEY! BABY! YEAH! poo poo!

each dwarf can wear 22 rings.... THATS ALOTTA FUCKEN MONEY!!!!! WEVE GOT IT MADE!!! YEAH! gently caress YEAH BITCHES!!!

wait

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
one of my crutches probably broke while going down some stairs and i broke my neck

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lol awesome

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Nobody's takin my rangs

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its always funny when you get an artifact fork or something with a whole fresco worth of engraving, somehow

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Hell yeah it's back baby

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Its always funny when you get an artifact fork or something with a whole fresco worth of engraving, somehow

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Planepacked

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
bump

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

im still playin the fort but i need ideas how can i make an efficient lava trap waterfall outside of the entrance? do i need lava pumps for that?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
dig a hole in the side of the volcano

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Robot Randy posted:

dig a hole in the side of the volcano

im to scared

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Bump.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Bump

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Bump.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/22/15655926/veteran-game-developers-reveal-their-childhood-creations

The creators of Dwarf Fortress programmed hundreds of games as kids

quote:

When Tarn was in fifth or sixth grade, they made a John Woo-inspired, text-based assassin game where you keep having to complete contract hits to pay for family accidents — first you need to pay for your girlfriend's corneal transplant after accidentally shooting her in the face, then you have to pay for treatment for various other family injuries (until a final stage where you need therapy for your dog, for reasons he can't recall). The game included eight factions who would put contracts on each other's members and also on you (and you had no say as to whether these attempts on your life succeeded). For another game, they asked their mom to scream into a microphone to get a sound effect to play when people are shot to death by Uzis. They also had a World War II strategy/arcade hybrid called Planes that included a simple, clumsy pathfinding algorithm for moving ships in the ocean. In the absence of the internet or any relevant books, Tarn devised the algorithm through brute-force self-reliance.

There was also an arcade-style space game with ships that had chunks of pixels blowing off them, along with a game called Cybercop that neither brother remembers but Adams suggests was likely less a "clean up the streets" cop game "so much as slowly degrade and get wounded and die a horrible death within five minutes" game. And they found backups of some 400 or so others they made in BASIC before they moved up to C in high school. "We don't even remember making half of them," Adams says. He also notes that some of these games have corrupted source code files because of frequent computer crashes — a notable example being Tarn's ASCII monster designer, almost all of which was overwritten during a computer crash by a memory dump of the code for an interactive fiction game that Zach had just started.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Heads up, Dwarfheads. I'm rebooting the succession fort in vanilla 64 bit.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I'm ready

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Anyone who wants to be dwarfed or dwarf someone, post your preferred role here. Starting the new thread soon, hopefully followed by the first post!!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dwarf me to the military!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
make the military use only copper if possible, or iron if there is no copper, but keep us the hell away from that musty steel and icky adamantine

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Dwarf me please. A craftsdorf of some sort if possible

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'd like to be a woodcutter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010