Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Sweet, I will play a year in your fort my man. Put your game folder up on google docs or something, I've never used Masterwork or the tileset you're using so I'd like to just copy your whole setup for a succession fort, that way my contribution doesnt look completely different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

i dont think I have ever had a fey mood result in a useful artifact in any of my dwarf games. props to rediscover for crafting an epic axe for the glory of The Factory of Laughs

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I think rediscover is taking some time getting back into the game so I got the go-ahead to kick off year 2.

It's been a while since my last time playing Dwarf Fortress and I've never played the Masterwork mod, gonna take a quick tour to get my bearings

looking at the stocks...

OH MY GOD. its a dwarf nightmare! but we have tons of plants. lets just make booze out of those.

a look at our dwarf citizens, looks like we have all the important jobs covered. But we'll press gang Ranirol to be our full-time brewer. this is top priority

Ranirol already had the brewer labor assigned. the red icon means those labors will be removed from the dwarfs (if we were adding labors, it would be a green icon). We don't want other dwarfs getting in Ranirol's way and we dont want Ranirol getting distracted by other jobs

Our fort is small right now so before i hit unpause and dwarfs start working we should assign specific labors. that way if something isnt getting done we just have to look for one dwarf to figure out why he isnt doing it. only thing to keep in mind is militia dwarfs - they can't train and do labor at the same time.

assigned a lot of labors to unskilled dwarfs just so we can get some workshops built like the loom (to gather spider silk) and clothier(to make bags for seeds, which we are getting a lot of now that we're brewing)

since we have access to the caverns now we can start harvesting underground wood, so we can make barrels to store our booze. we might need wood for fuel too. luckily tower caps and fungiwood are giant mushroom-trees that yield tons of wood. the big purple thing is a miasma cloud - where is it coming from?

an ogre died down here. turns out our marksdwarf took him down. the stink is pretty bad

Average Bear, militia commander, wielder of Varigokdag the legendary great axe which was forged by rediscover in a trance of divinely inspired craftsdwarfship. Father of..... Larry?

distracted by frogs.... dwarf children are not that effective at gathering

it turns out that glowfrogs are pretty big, i thought they were just like normal frogs. We have some fighting to do! Giant glowing frog legs are on the menu now boys

whoops, this body got dumped in our corpse/refuse stockpile. I guess this is the speardwarf from the Mountainhomes who tried to fight a pegasus. We need to lay him to rest or his ghost will start spooking us

made a coffin and put this dead idiot's grave right by the entrance to the fort just to make sure everyone knows not to fool around with the mythical winged horses outside

dont gently caress with dwarf childs. they dont like fighting but they will mess your poo poo up

giant ants are just kinda wandering into the fort from the underground caverns. We should put some traps in this hallway, maybe we can tame them?

23 dwarfs arrived in this migration wave and only two of them are useless children! Looks like we might have some hunters among them as well

oh.....

It'S the second month of Spring in year 2 of the Factory of Laughs and we have our first Forgotten Beast. i need to figure out the militia interface again, press some of these migrants into our army and take that thing out as soon as I can.

that story will be in my next post

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Back to the fort to take care of this forgotten beast

this thing doesnt look so tough

Time to get some of our new migrants into the militia. A few of them came with crossbows so they are prime candidates, however the current militia uniform has shields and melee weapons assigned to all positions. We have to make sure the marksdwarfs have no uniform weapons assigned to their positions or else they might get confused looking for axes instead of getting right down into the fight

these guys look good, we'll just fill out the current militia with three marksdwarfs

best to fight it in the underground cavern. the axedwarf Mesran and militia commander Average Bear charge down the stairs and confront the beast as it's banging down the cavern door.

I tried to get a gif of this fight but somehow messed it up, but honestly the fight was over before i even knew it and soon the beast's corpse was being hauled away to the butcher

Just when things are settling back down an alert pops up about a shadow beast destroying a door in the caverns

there are five of them. I have no idea what these things do (they arent in the vanilla game) but they are building destroyers so lets prepare for the worst

the shadow beasts are banging down the door to the caverns so they are in a good position to ambush a ranger, beating him up a little

but then the militia comes down and evens the score

However there are casualties...

Once they made him drop his axe, it was all over for Average Bear! the first death of the fort. we have a lot of injured dwarfs too so we need to set up the hospital (which is already dug out but not designated and missing furniture) and try to get things back to normal

Another group of dusk ogres banging down doors. There are so many nasties down here that I'm considering moving the barracks/training grounds for our militia down to the caverns so they don't have to sprint through the fort whenever some baddies wander in

Worldstar!!

It's all ogre

The fort returns to normalcy

It's summer now and the hospital is slowly getting stocked with much-needed splints and crutches, thread, and soon soap. Average Bear has a tomb and our new mayor is making demands in between vomiting and passing out due to injuries he sustained while fighting the shadow beasts. Over the next few months we need to solidify our defenses, get industry going, start taming animals and expand housing for our growing population.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

i'll try to get some dwarfs named after Thread Posters tonight when i play some more

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

M_Gargantua posted:

I will be following along but I realize I know too much to participate

i dont think there are any rules like that. if the fort makes it to year 9 or 10 it might be good to have someone who "knows too much" lol

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

NOTE: i hosed up my save file! The events in this post happened over the course of about a month in game time but I lost it and had to revert to a backup. Ah, poo poo!!! Let this be a lesson to everyone

Summer has come to Casualfences and the Factory of Laughs

Things to do:
Stock the hospital
Expand military
FOrtify/trap the caverns
Find fuel for refining steel
Build a nice room for the new mayor
Build rooms for all our dwarfs
Build special rooms like temple, library, inn/tavern
volcano magma forge

I noticed that our cistern is slowly being drained. the well is used so much (probably for cleaning and drinking by injured dwarfs) that the water isn't being replenished fast enough. Once it gets down to 1 zlevel deep, the well will start drawing muddy water from the bottom of the cistern and that will result in negative thoughts and infections

we could just dig out a more direct channel between the ponds and the cistern, and if we're going to do that then summer is the best time for it

digging the channel and monitoring the flow, i realized that maybe its the GOD DAMNED TREE clogging the tunnel between the ponds and the cistern. For now, getting rid of the diagonal channels is causing the cistern to fill back up again, so at least it's working

We do have access to a lake of fresh water in the cavern system. It needs another cistern there because it's only 1 zlevel deep, but thats a minor project that we can plan for

human traders have arrived

News of the world. my eyes glazed over when this popped up. if anyone actually reads the whole thing please let us know if theres anything interesting

Our trade agreement with the humans, this is the stuff they will buy. In our request for items that we want them to bring, we mostly asked for raw materials like wood, leather, cloth, and smelter fuel/refinement reagents

in trading with the humans we exchanged a few pots of prepared meals and all of our stone crafts for all of their wood, most of their cloth and leather, a few metal bars, and whatever metal weapons and items were left over that we could afford

No idea what this is, sounds fun though

We got some migrants, 15 of them. Then this happened

apparently our new arrivals are all horrified by the sight of the dusk ogre and shadow beast corpses stacked up in a pile in front of the fort, so we might move those eventually

fort plagued by a flock of wild kea men. the militia is helpless to stop them

Rapist Mayor net cafe scandal takes matters into his own hands

the kea men have stolen dozens of units of ammunition from the fort. this has motivated me to create a squad of marksdwarfs and have our two militia train on an alternating two-month schedule

Mayor net cafe scandal isnt even part of the militia. he just loves killing. maybe he is taking out all the aggression he's been building up from not being given a decent bedroom yet

what? how the...
combat log doesn't show that he sustained any injuries or was even fighting at the time of his death. maybe it was an old injury that finally did him in? time to check legends

an infection from that fight which was over 2 months ago. The second death of a citizen of Casualfences and it's also an Imp-named dwarf. Only the good die young...

When I went to load my game back up after exporting to Legends mode so I could figure out how the mayor died, I realized that I had copied the wrong save to my backup folder. Whoops!!! Dont be an idiot like me. Maybe this incident will result in an alternate reality where net cafe scandal doesn't die of a months-old infection while murdering kea people?

Luckily I lost only a month of game time but it will delay my next post a little. Im going to try to document less for this thread and go a little faster so I can pass it off to the next person before the weekend

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Black Baby Goku posted:

Dwarf Fortress (A Complete Noob Lets Play) Part One: I'm gonna hijack this thread to post my impressions of DF and my first real attempt at playing!

Welcome to My Lets Play!

My First Dwarf

My Fortress

#Squad rolling out

gently caress I really don't even remember how to play this from the start....

oh hell yeah, ASCII display ftw

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I played a little tpnight, gonna try to finish the year off tomorrow

the time that I lost with my save file fuckup went pretty much just like before since it was only a month. there was no kea man attack, but net cafe scandal still died. RIP

Dwarf possession doesnt result in skill gain, and he just made a crappy granite amulet. Oh well

it's Autumn so the liason from the Mountainhomes is here to talk business. Lets be boring and request mostly the same stuff we asked of the human caravan

For the sake of record keeping heres what they will buy from us next year

I think we have everyone who wanted to be a dwarf now. Also our fort's population is a sex number... epic

Just when things were settling down, this guy rolls in, looking a little bigger and badder than the last one. But we have two full squads of trained and armed militia this time. should be enough!

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

looks like I added trying to jack off twice, once as "trying to jack off" and once as "Max Payne" but thats ok

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Bolverkur posted:

this game rules and this thread rules. i'd like to be up for succession, but will have to refresh on how a lot of stuff is done as well as what's in masterwork. i really like that you can dig out a whole ore vein in this.

also make me a dwarf, a very angry militia dwarf

Added you

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Time for us to take down Tomig the gigantic scaly three-tailed theropod (which btw is a kind of dinosaur that runs on two legs)

This forgotten beast spawned to the north so we position both dwarf squads on the other side of the door separating thaat area of the caverns from the fort. Let's just wait for him to knock down the door and shoot his rear end when he comes through

Mother loving Larry is the first dwarf out the door, but he gets his monsters mixed up and charges after an innocent horned cave turtle who is just chilling and eating some cave moss. Then the rest of the dwarfs arrive and thats when I realize that I forgot to set the door to forbid passage so they all charge straight through after Tomig. Wild out!!

oh my god its a bloodbath

it took me almost half an hour to get GifCam to save this loving file

11 Casualties so far
trying to jack off, Capntastic, Fuubi, and Halloween Jack... I'm sorry....

I made some serious mistakes with this fight. first i didnt forbid passage thru the door so my melee dwarfs charged right in while the marksdwarfs sat back and didnt even see the monster. Then I also forgot that I had turned off "forbid death items" when I was messing around earlier, so a bunch of civilians ran into the middle of the melee and got crushed by the forgotten beast while trying to take the shoes off their dead comrades

Some highlights from the fight:

the combat log for the fight against Tomig is 36 pages long
Miner Chad Zuntir Sodelarelir landed the killing blow on the beast, digging out its spine with his pickaxe. somehow the monster survived a strike to the head in which the pickaxe became lodged in the skull
The two dwarfs who had any medical experience whatsoever were killed
Mayor Munchables has broken ribs and a punctured lung. he has been mandating the production of breastplates. i dont think these two things are related but taken together they are funny to me
There were 6 lost limbs, 1 bisection and 3 decapitations (and a head explosion) in the fight
cheese maker Bomrek Urangudogut lost both legs and a hand before the beast kicked his head into pulp
our soap maker was on the receiving end of two amputations, losing his left leg and his right arm, but is still alive and seems fine after medical treatment

In regards to the hospital, our two new medical dwarfs did a fantastic job patching up the wounded despite having absolutely no experience whatsoever. Guess it's not that hard after all

Death is all around... I am not okay with this.

A few weeks later and the fort seems to be recovering from the loss of 1/6th of its population. 12 migrants have arrived, maybe they heard there were some empty beds

An artifact buckler... not bad. We'll give it to the militia commander

It's winter and we're working on a new cistern in the cavern, because it seems like the cistern fed by the ponds might eventually dry up? I dont know, I thought it would but the first well dug last year seems to be working just fine. Still it would be nice to get a high quality well set up closer to the hospital

theres still some dangerous wildlife in the caverns which is slowing things down slightly

Small Retard Larry got his first kill... on a cave troll that already had an axe lodged in its head. Way to go Larry! :bravo:

Winter has been passing uneventfully. The new cistern is almost done, just trying to work out what zlevel to put the new well. It might have to be far above the level of the water itself

legendary miner chad is about to become a legendary mason, awesome

Spring has arrived! Going to post the status of the fort and the download link to the save file soon

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Overview of the fort

- The cavern lake cistern is dug and has a flood gate installed but isn't filled yet and the room for the well isn't dug either. we have a gold bucket and chain though
- Created a temple which includes all the coffins for our fallen dwarf brethren. It's not that fancy though
- Still need an inn and a library eventually
- All noble requirements are met I think
- Need to dig out and furnish more rooms soon
- Never got around to the magma forge, I was a little daunted by the prospect of even more wildlife attacks from the volcano
- Farms are easily sustaining the current population but might need expansion or tweaking. Cloth industry is doing pretty well due to web collection
- We might get a siege in Year 3?

I deleted all but the most recent backup save files because otherwise this thing was 1GB in size
download link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2ub655jc1kYZE5lNlRtaWVkWHM

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I like it

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

frank.club posted:

It looks like everyone who asked to be name is already so!

Please name the legendary bonecrafter child dwarf Jerkops

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

that is so badass. I've tried to start an adventurer and make the trip from the mountainhomes to a fort I had created before, but it never worked out because I always got sidetracked or died horribly. definitely going to try it again sometime.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Dont give up, give us what you got whenever you get it. We can wait

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Lol

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

A diamond golem, wtf. That is a lovely thing to throw at a fort

Also lol

Great year at the fort, who's next?

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Fortress mode never crashed for me with masterwork, but adventure mode crashes all the time even in vanilla

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Robot Randy posted:

no clue. it showed up on the second cavern layer and after the marksdwarves had hit it with threir crossbows enough to become hammerdwarves i said gently caress it and used the exterminate command, which genocides the entire race of the target creature

I think exterminate just kills those creatures on the map. It's not very well named

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Fuubi posted:

Nothing to worry about! Just keep a lot of wood crafts ready for when the elves arrive. :cheeky:

You sick gently caress...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I'm ready

• Locked thread