Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
id be down for overseer if the fort hasnt been ran into the ground by the time my turn comes up

never played MW tho, ive got a few irl years of running forts in the base game under my belt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
does masterwork change the invasion requirements? in vanilla you need like 80,000 dollars of poo poo exported before forgotten beasts even look your way

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Average Bear posted:

By default every invasion race can come at 20 dwarves. But 43.x changed invasions, so a full siege can only come if your parent civ is at war with a nearby civ.

edit: I might be wrong? Maybe any civ in range can siege you, regardless of war. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Siege

it depends on how close you are to hostile civs i think. they have to travel overworld in real time so it can take several months for them to reach you after you meet the requirements. im p sure wealth exported determines the size and frequency of siege parties.

thats my experience with vanilla, i have no idea how much MW shakes things up

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
today i found out i no longer have a place to live in two months so depending on when my turn comes up i may or may not be able to do it

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
ramps need an adjacent wall to be usable and if you dig out the supporting wall it destroys the ramp. u can see it happening in the first screen u posted lol

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
with the threat of my eviction still being relatively far off, at the rate things are going im pretty sure ill be able to complete my turn.

also dwarf me as a soap maker

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
i started an adventure file in the same world the fort is in to try and record what the migrants would have to go through on their journey to causalfences from another settlement. everything was going pretty well, and i even got info about a night creature lair on the way. i recruited a couple drunks from the village i started in, and they chose to wait outside the lair while i got stabbed in the foot and then head with a carving fork.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
looks like phoebus

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
tried sending another adventure guy to causalfences but the game crashed as soon as i was geared up and leaving my start point. hadnt even even saved yet so all the screengrabs i took of his description and stats and such are useless

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
i think my adventurer is cave adapted lol. keeps getting dizzy and throwing up whenever sunlight hits him, but even worse is my movement and combat speed are reduced to 1/3.

im not even sure its worth to make a backup of my save with a death sentence like that looming overhead

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
:siren::snoop:aww poo poo, it's the motherbitchin' IMP ZONE ADVENTURE:siren::snoop:

we're gonna try to make it from our starting point, bevelcyanogen, to causalfences, and join our brothers and sisters at the factory of laughs. this should provide some insight on the daily hells the swarms of migrants must face

here's where we start

and here's where we hope to end up. getting through the dark goblin pits and fortresses surrounding causalfences should be a fun time.

rather than cutting over the mountains or taking the deep roads between mountainhomes, we're going to head to the east around the mountains

our dude, ral veinedlovemaking.

starting out as a peasant you dont get very many skill points or attribute points, so ral was put on the spectrum to allow for an extra level in strength.

----

we wake up deep in the fortress. there's not much in terms of gear or people in my immediate area.

wandering around, i meet the baroness of bevelcyanogens. nobles give different types of quests than the peasants you talk to, normally sending you to your death at the hands of a roc or other primordial beast, instead of the run of the mill werecreatures and bandits harassing the local peasantry. with that in mind, i asked her if she needs any work done.

the amiable dankness? wouldnt mind some meself

the kobolds are a fair ways away. i plan on taking the road south from the mountains into the human town on the coast to buy some better gear and find some traveling companions

as soon as i leave the fortress, my goony rear end starts heaving because the sunlight physically sickens me

other than the trail of bile, i make some good progress towards the coastal town. i need to make it there before nightfall or the bogeymen will sodomize me

as dusk falls, im close enough to my destination that i can hear the waves crashing on the shore

gently caress

just kidding. they sat still and let me walk around them

made it to the town. once you get close to a settlement, the overworld map will zoom in and give you a more detailed view of the city blocks and farm fields. i tried hitting up the general imports but the proprietors seemed to be ideas guys, since the shop was empty and none of the 5 co-owners had anything tangible to trade.

finding better armor in the castle was a bust because human armor doesnt fit dwarves, elves, goblins, or kobolds, so im stuck with the potato sack i started out with.

i did manage to find a pretty sweet oricalchum great axe in the castle, as well as a fellow axedwarf who agreed to travel with me. we decide to set out for the kobold cave in the morning

we've arrived.

the guards at the mouth of the cave couldn't care less that we showed up. i tried explaining the situation to the warlord, who is the kobold closest to me in that screen

the diplomatic route didnt work

the warlord, mole dog, and other kobold fell to pieces at the sight of our axes. i descend to the first level and make short work of the next two guards

o poo poo!! this could be real bad. all the !'s are 'sounds' that your character hears. around the corner there's probably 10 kobolds waiting to murk me

turns out it was just two kobolds in the midst of a domestic dispute

the next level lead into the caverns, but we couldnt advance and further because the stairs were flooded.

with the task of kobold cleansing complete, we head out of the cave and find a place to make camp.

i ended up icing enough creatures to get a title

here's a cool armok vision rendering of a river canyon and one of its tributaries meeting up with the main river.

----

that's all for this update. im about 1/8th of the way to my destination, and now that i have some fame and respect i can recruit more units into my party before being told to gently caress off, so names for dwarfing are available. is there anything specific in adventure mode that people would want to see? i can try to showcase it in one of the next updates

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 5, 2017

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Larry Parrish posted:

Adventurer mode is awesome. The detailed damage model lets you do wacky stuff like slice a dudes head off and throw it at his fleeing buddy

theres a few reactions that got added so you can make jewelry and totems out of their bones. you can wear their skin too if you play as an evil race

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
i fixed the broken image in my post, go back and read it if you want the imp zone adventure directors cut

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
time to see what the capable imps before me have left to my tender and loving care

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
gonna try to get an update out tonight or tomorrow, ive played about an hour but the game's been unpaused for a week at most

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
im not gonna be able to finish my turn because im a retard and left my laptop at my parents and i wont be able to get it back until the end of this week

throw my dwarf into the volcano as penance for my transgressions

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
actually ima try and go and get it tonight, if i dont have the year finished by tuesday night ill bow out

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
OKAY i got my laptop backill post spring-summer tomorrow morning and autumn-winter later that night

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
fort updaate year 5

NO loving DRINKS

setting jewels to be cut automatically. dfhack adds the option in o-W. even if theres no crafts made by the time traders show up this will help since cut gems are 10-300 bucks a pop

fort entrance is wide open, gonna build a kennels for warbeasts and a drawbridge

gonna build the forges and a minecart track here. the crater is also going to be the future site of a temple to the god of mountains, who manifests as a wind hound

set up some stills to deal with prior retardation

built some bigger farm plots in the caves

rounding out the ranks

the mountainhomes have finalized their decision for causalfences to be made a barony

lil retard found his security blanket

since he's baron larry thinks he deserves frivolities such as 'reasonable living space'. we'll put that on the backburner for now

HE NEEDS SPLINTS

some retard built a cistern and then filled it with stagnant water! what the gently caress!!!

human thief shows up. sent the nice guys after him and he skedaddled

trogs in the tunnels. mushroom caps over a lake arent the safest place to fight

bolverkur doin work

lost 4 combatants, all morons who jumped off the mushroom trying to dodge attacks. theyre now being flayed alive by cave fish

humans arrive. i buy all their logs and booze

kid starts a mood. what could he make?

not bad, not good. even though artifacts get huge 'bone'uses to their material properties the helm is still worse than a standard quality iron helm

this idiot decided to go to sleep in the caverns when he was thirsty and died of dehydration on his way back up to the fort

larry mandates splints, yet again

the second cavern layer is completely barren of wood and plants. the mud is fertile and good for farming but the lack of wood is starting to become a real issue

setting up space for magma forges and smelters. these use magma instead of wood to smelt/forge metals, but you still need to use coke to get things hot enough for steel production. this will help the wood problem but it wont completely solve it

need to do something about the framerate. a good way to fix this is to dump useless objects and beings into magma.

o fuk

i think someone fell in while building the temple. at least they were kind enough to tell us where the adamantine spire was while their face was being melted.

the yellow poo poo is lava mist, aka bad news

another miner died. i sent a few down the passage to the second cavern layer to mine out veins and gemstones and one of the idiots destroyed the ramp back up so now theyre racing against time to get an alternate path carved out

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 11, 2017

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

GorfZaplen posted:

I'd like a dwarf please

ok but i cant guarantee that you wont be sacrificed to the mountain god

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
he also wants to send a bunch of miners to the klink because nobody made him his splints

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
he already does, someone just needs to be assigned to mete out the punishment

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
tonights update is brought to you in part by a donation from drewtoothpaste and kool keith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqM9eLrup3g

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
fort update 2

built some farms in the second cavern layer

lol

dwarven caravan arrives. i bought their booze, seeds, and stuff to make books. i requested they bring logs and coke, since fuel is still at a pretty low level.

trade agreement with them. theyre gonna pay out the rear end for cut gems next year, so if we get lucky with rarer ones we might be able to buy out the entire caravan with a single gem bin next year

crudbump ft. kool keith -- crab hand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqM9eLrup3g

the traders decided to leave through the cavern layer

oh poo poo!!

kid goes into a mood at the same time. by the time i zoom back in on the beast it's dead.

the sacrifice to the great god of fps

[[[There would be a gif of all the kids and animals falling into the lava but GIFCAM IS A loving PIECE OF poo poo]]]

the big chad himself pulled the lever, just following orders

wow, real glad i spared this little fuckshit. NOT :69snypa:
his yospos loving rear end is going down with the rest of them

:byewhore:

ah poo poo, he got hit by forgotten beast gas and dropped dead later

taking a look at the health screen to see who else might be affected
bolverkur is infected. with AIDS lmao!!

migrants. like 8 dwarves and 10 kids

a beta assaulted a chad in the caverns. im keeping an eye on all the betas in case they organize into a beta uprising and usurp the chads

christ, another one? there'd be a gif of the fight but gifcam is STILL A MASSIVE PIECE OF poo poo. fortunately it went down really quickly

the dude who killed it named his axe

the wounded are brought to the hospital

snake men show up in the caverns. the squad quickly rectifies the issue

gonna send the nice guys to see if we can kill it and sell t for $$$$
---
turns out trying to kill a humanoid lump of diamond is next to impossible. i send the boys to retreat behind the cage traps
---
i ended up using dfhack to kill it because there was no way that situation wouldve ended well. the golem wouldve slowly punched everything in the fortress to death while every attack bounced off it

3rd cavern layer breached. lots of trees, thankfully. harder enemies too

spring is here. what a ride its been.

forts in p good shape imo, compared to the shitpile i started with. we lost a bit of population as a part of the sacrifice, but they were all useless kids. i also had something like 60 stray animals slaughtered

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
im just gonna upload the region save instead of the whole folder, drive keeps failing to upload certain files when i try to do MW and everything else

ok here it is just pop the region1 folder in dwarf fortress>data>save https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzBWrlRafrniM0xHenhncmEzUk0

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 15, 2017

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Johnny Joestar posted:

masterwork adds a bunch of weird bullshit

yeah with a game as autistically complex as df it doesn't need more workshops and reactions and creatures from every piece of pop culture added

also the whole succubus race in general :yikes:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
no clue. it showed up on the second cavern layer and after the marksdwarves had hit it with threir crossbows enough to become hammerdwarves i said gently caress it and used the exterminate command, which genocides the entire race of the target creature

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
the elves in this world have all been conquered by dwarves bc they a bunch of pussy rear end bitches. there's like 500 left in the world compared to 15000+ goblins, humans and dwarves

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
sounds like someone set up a dump zone there, reclaim everything with d-b-c and people should carry all the rotting poo poo to refuse stockpiles after that

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
lol the races masterwork adds are all invariably retarded, absolutely nothing meshes with the tone of the game

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
one of my crutches probably broke while going down some stairs and i broke my neck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
dig a hole in the side of the volcano

• Locked thread