Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Black Baby Goku posted:

Well this is curious....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Adventurer mode is awesome. The detailed damage model lets you do wacky stuff like slice a dudes head off and throw it at his fleeing buddy

I think this might have changed recently but you used to be able to get so good at throwing that you could chuck water at people​ and the force would cut off their heads.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'd like a dwarf please

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Bolverkur posted:

uh yeah so i played this for some while before i realized: hey where is all that poo poo randy was posting about? so ive now downloaded the correct save

420 BITCHEEESSS

Lol

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Set a new dump zone over magma and watch that fps shoot to the stars

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Its always funny when you get an artifact fork or something with a whole fresco worth of engraving, somehow

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Planepacked

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Bump.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/22/15655926/veteran-game-developers-reveal-their-childhood-creations

The creators of Dwarf Fortress programmed hundreds of games as kids

quote:

When Tarn was in fifth or sixth grade, they made a John Woo-inspired, text-based assassin game where you keep having to complete contract hits to pay for family accidents — first you need to pay for your girlfriend's corneal transplant after accidentally shooting her in the face, then you have to pay for treatment for various other family injuries (until a final stage where you need therapy for your dog, for reasons he can't recall). The game included eight factions who would put contracts on each other's members and also on you (and you had no say as to whether these attempts on your life succeeded). For another game, they asked their mom to scream into a microphone to get a sound effect to play when people are shot to death by Uzis. They also had a World War II strategy/arcade hybrid called Planes that included a simple, clumsy pathfinding algorithm for moving ships in the ocean. In the absence of the internet or any relevant books, Tarn devised the algorithm through brute-force self-reliance.

There was also an arcade-style space game with ships that had chunks of pixels blowing off them, along with a game called Cybercop that neither brother remembers but Adams suggests was likely less a "clean up the streets" cop game "so much as slowly degrade and get wounded and die a horrible death within five minutes" game. And they found backups of some 400 or so others they made in BASIC before they moved up to C in high school. "We don't even remember making half of them," Adams says. He also notes that some of these games have corrupted source code files because of frequent computer crashes — a notable example being Tarn's ASCII monster designer, almost all of which was overwritten during a computer crash by a memory dump of the code for an interactive fiction game that Zach had just started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'd like to be a woodcutter

• Locked thread