Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Power Rangers: Legacy Wars is a newly released free-to-play mobage game for Android and IOS. It owns.

Rita Repulsa, the space witch, has infected the Morphin Grid, creating virtual monsters and Ranger clones programmed to fight on her behalf. Fight back with your own curated team of legendary Power Rangers and villains from the multiverse! Unlock new Rangers, upgrade your best warriors and create the best team to defeat Rita, and save the Morphin Grid.

We're the real Rangers. You're just clones.

Is this game any good?

Actually, yeah. It's quite good, and waaaay better than it has any right to be as a movie cross-promotional Kwispy Kweme product placement vehicle. The underlying combat system is really deep and I hope that other mobage devs steal it whole cloth and skin it with other IPs/licenses. It distills down the basic mind games present in well-designed 2D fighting games while reducing the execution requirements that drive away players. The yomi stuff in this game is really fun, and intense. I have a lot of experience with both fighters and mobile gacha trash and I gotta say that this poo poo really hits the spot. The fact that I'm a Power Rangers and Sentai fan is honestly secondary to my enjoyment of this game, but it is also definitely a game for us fans. I can't wait for them to add more Rangers.

The combat is really fast-paced, you must be able to make important rock-scissors-paper decisions quickly. The best part is how bouncy/juggly it is - you can ground bounce, wall bounce, and air juggle with impunity. If you pop your opponent into the air with a launcher you can do whatever you want until they hit the ground, whereupon they can potentially Block or counter. Even if you don't have a hard launcher you can generally get a juggle off of a hit confirm by dashing at them and using a regular attack. The flow of combat is really intuitive and meaty. It feels good.

Can I play as my Ranger waifu?

No, Kira is not in the game yet. Here's the current roster:

Leaders

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers
  • Green Ranger aka "Tommy" - Tommy Oliver
  • Pink Ranger aka "OG Kim" - Kimberly Ann Hart
  • Blue Ranger aka "OG Billy" - Billy Cranston
  • Red Ranger aka "OG Jason" - Jason Lee Scott
  • Black Ranger aka "OG Zack" - Zack Taylor
  • Goldar

2017 New Movie
  • Blue Ranger aka "Movie Billy" - Billy
  • Pink Ranger aka "Movie Kim" - Kimberly
  • Red Ranger aka "Movie Jason" - Jason
  • Yellow Ranger aka "Movie Trini" - Trini
  • Black Ranger "aka Movie Zach" - Zack
  • Rita Repulsa

Zeo
  • Pink Ranger aka "Kat" - Katherine Hillard

Space
  • Psycho Red

Wild Force
  • Black Ranger aka "Danny" - Danny Delgado

Super Samurai
  • Red Ranger - Lauren Shiba

Super Megaforce
  • Yellow Ranger - Gia Moran

Dino Charge
  • Blue Ranger - Koda
  • Snide

the akas are the shorthand nicknames we've been using for those specific Leaders. I think that's it... I'll edit in the assists later, there's a lot of overlap, obviously. reuse dem art assets

As you can see, it is very reminiscent of a traditional 2D fighter. It's played on a two-dimensional stage (with boundary walls on the left and right - it's actually quite a small arena, which is important) and your Ranger can dash a fixed distance to the left and right, but she cannot jump, walk, run, or even switch sides with her opponent by moving under/over them. All of your Ranger's attacks have an Energy cost associated with them, and you can see her energy meter in the middle of the screen there. It regenerates over time, of course, but doin' stuff stops the regen for a few seconds. Beat all the health out of your opponent to win. Don't let your health drop to zero or you lose. If time runs out the Ranger with more health wins - by percentage, not absolute value. Easy, right?

So what's the deal with the attacks?

This is very important gameplay stuff. Those boxes on the bottom right are your attacks. If you press one of those buttons, your Ranger will immediately start doing that attack. There is no swiping or mashing the screen to auto attack or anything like that, these three buttons are the only way to attack and deal damage to your opponent. The leftmost box contains your Primary attacks, the middle are your Special attacks, and the rightmost has your Assists. Let's say I press the left square, "Kickin It". It costs 3 Energy so the Energy pool immediately goes to 7, and Tommy will immediately start kicking the air in front of him repeatedly, whilst shouting "SIE-UYAH! SIE-UYAH!!!" (not rly it is a tommy joke) So what attack replaces "Kickin It" on the bar?

Every Ranger Leader has two Primary and two Special attacks, and it randomly picks a replacement between them after you execute an attack. So the empty slot on the left after Tommy uses Kickin It would have a fifty/fifty shot of being filled by either Spinning Heel Kick or Kickin It again. Not really, though. There exist blue Block "attacks" that can appear instead. The probability of getting a Block instead is based on your Ranger's class - Attacker, Balanced, or Defender. I'm sure you can figure out which class gets the most Blocks. Blocks cost zero Energy. When your Ranger Blocks, she immediately adopts a stereotypical fighting game blocking pose and stands immobile for a few seconds. If the opponent's Ranger hits her with a Strike during the Block's duration, it will cause that attacker to be staggered for a second or so, giving your Ranger a sizeable window to counterattack them. I don't know the precise odds or numbers on any of this stuff so don't ask me. There may be some nuances that we haven't figured out yet.

You can only have one Block on your bar at a time, so if one of your slots is occupied by a Block, you cannot get a Block in a different slot. This is important. Block can be replaced by Block so be careful mashing that poo poo, your Ranger WILL throw up Block immediately again if she successfully counters a Strike (or Assist) and now you've lost your window of opportunity. And a Block.

What's that red Primary attack there?

That's a Breaker, the third type of attack. The yellow ones are the Strikes, and you know about Blocks. Breakers have very long windup times (they are slow to come out) but they break Blocks, as in they do full damage to a Blocking Ranger as if it was not blocking at all. In fact, I believe that they actually do extra damage to Blocking Rangers as "counterattacks." Strikes tend to be quick and can stuff Breakers during their long windup animations, and I might be mistaken but I believe that they do extra "counterattack" damage in those cases as well.

So what's a Special Attack then?

These attacks tend to utilize the Ranger's signature weapons and moves whereas Primary attacks tend to be generic martial arts punches and kicks. A few Rangers have projectile attacks and they are almost universally Specials.

So the third square is Assists?

Yeah you can see the little portraits in the upper corners in that Kimberly vs. Tommy screenshot there (freakin' soft launchers)

Assists add their Health to your total Health pool. This is the balancing factor between them - Assists with more powerful attacks tend to add less Health to your Ranger Leader. Every assist attack costs 5 Energy - there are no exceptions to this rule, as far as I can tell. Obviously the third attack slot just randomizes between your two Assists, and you can get the same Assist (or even Primary or Special) attack multiple times in a row. I'm talking five, six times in a row. It happens. But usually you'll get a Block before that.

There's a lot of depth to assists. They hop in from off the screen "behind" your Leader and they can take hits for her without causing her to get juggled/stunned and if your opponent blocks an assist your Leader doesn't get staggered. Some of them have nice zoning projectiles, some can "combo break" to get pressure off your Leader or to get her out of the corner. :siren: GET OUT OF THE CORNER, THE CORNER IS DEATH. :siren:

I'm losing focus due to my attention span issues so I'll like edit more information in later I guess

Is there a guild?

Yeah, the name of our Alliance is Big Bad Beetleborgs. id # 39dbdd6a - I'm the "Mentor" of the Alliance and the guild description has the quote "Treacheron would never betray me" as well as some other meme poo poo. You must be in tier 2 and then the bottom left shield icon unlocks - search for Big Bad Beetleborgs and request an invite. You must post your in-game moniker itt or let me know some other way because the way it's set up there is a constant flow of pubbie requests that i must clean out every day

Ranger Danger: A Character Analysis and Guide (WORK IN PROGRESS)

Tommy Oliver, the Green Ranger - Tommy, Tommy, Tommy. What would Power Rangers be without Tommy Oliver? "NOTHING", screams Jason David Frank from a crowded convention hall. Tommy is decidedly not AFK in this game; the higher up you rank, the more Tommies you will run into until it gets absolutely absurd. I'm talking The Legend of Zelda™: Breath of the Wild attach rate percentages here. Hell, I main Tommy. He's my favorite Ranger and he's fun to play. I understand. As such this will obviously be the longest Leader writeup, and most of the initial Leader analysis is from a Green Ranger POV. I feel like Tommy is not OP but god drat, there are so many of them in my bracket that I can't say that is true. Suffice to say, I've gotten pretty proficient at the mirror match, which comes down to 50/50 RNGs... I mean it's a mirror match, duh.

So what's Tommy's deal? Tommy is a combo character; he does huge damage on long juggle chains after a successful hit confirm. The issue is getting that first hit aka "opening them up." His toolset is diverse but the random nature of attacks can really gently caress up his game plan as he lacks the redundancy that some other Leaders possess. That's the tradeoff and balancing factor between the Leaders: having many tools to deal with different situations vs. having consistent attacks, especially Breakers. Tommy's Breaker is... not great. It does the job, and sometimes you get lucky and roll it multiple times in a row for the win, but it is a weakness of his. The game revolves around Breakers and Blocks, with a dash of Assists to mix it up.

Kickin It- Kickin It kinda sucks. I mean it does ok damage for 3 Power but the animation is so long. Tommy does a bunch of karate kicks for a few seconds. It means that your opponent has plenty of time to Block or call in Xandred/M.Billy in between kicks and then counterattack you. Also, it shares the slot with your all-important Breaker, so in certain matchups you have to throw it out there just to fish for a SHK so you don't die, and the long animation is rough for that situation. A lot of the time I just eat the Block that I know they have with it, which reminds me to mention another FUNDAMENTAL piece of advice: don't attack into a known Block unless you have a Block as well, or an appropriate response or assist that can serve the same role. Often times you get into a DBZ-style block/counter war that only ends when one Ranger runs out of Power, which reminds me of the third fundamental lesson: try to maintain a full Power pool. Don't desperation attack every time you manage to scrounge three Power when you're empty. Sometimes you just gotta take your lumps, I mean literally just take the hit that you know is coming because you just used all of your Power finishing a huge combo and they're about to stand up with 10 Power and go HAM on your rear end. I mean obviously you backdash, which is like half the reason why spacing is so important in this game and you want to push them to their side as much as you can. You need room to breathe when you're out of Power. When you are backed into the corner and out of Power, you are loving dead. You have no options, no responses possible, and your opponent probably knows this, as he pushed you into the corner for a reason. You need to be mentally estimating their Power availability so you don't fall into those terrible death traps.

Yeah, so Kickin It. It's really good in a juggle chain, but not so good as an opener. Try not to open with it unless you suspect that they don't have a Block - and be prepared for them to have a Block, because I cannot ever seem to put them on NO Block at all, even if I just baited one out. Tommy's weak to Defenders in general because Block just fucks his day up. No real way to open up besides:

Spinning Heel Kick - Tommy's Breaker, probably his most important attack. The more SHK and the less Kickin It you pull in a game, the better your odds are to win. Yeah, straight up. Spinning Heel Kick is a roundhouse kick with very short range and a long windup animation, but it only costs 3 Power. Players are very leery in this game so baiting out Blocks is relatively easy. SHK them in the face and drop a nice combo. If you're attacking into a known/suspected Block, the best option is to Block/Xandred her counterattack and then SHK so that she can't Block you back, and proceed to chain. It also punks out most assists, which is a very important piece of the RCP matchup. You can even kick Goldar assist in the face with it if you time it right, but that's real tough. That assist is a bitch. That's why I run it. SHK is the best thing to use after you've knocked your opponent down and she is about to stand up as it really limits their options. Most of the time they Block anyway and now you've eaten a Block - you gotta keep eating and baiting out blocks as Tommy. The more often you are Blocked and counterattacked, the more likely you are to lose.

Dragon Charge - Now we're talking. When you activate Dragon Charge, Tommy dashes forward, slashing with his Dagger twice for massive damage. I think it's one of the highest Damage per Power attacks in the game. The catch: it has two hits, most of the damage is on the second hit, and your opponent can Block between hits. You cannot throw just throw this attack out there, you WILL get Blocked and countered and 4 Power is not something you should just throw away. Wasting energy is another way to lose this game. The best use of DC is to combo it after a hit confirm, literally anything. It's so fast and Tommy moves so far (almost across the whole screen) that you can catch an opponent that's flying directly away from you after something like Spinning Heel Kick. There are yomi situations where you can open with it but keep in mind that that is a high risk, high reward proposition. If you have a bit of Power saved you can juggle combo another Dragon Charge into the first, regardless of where you are on the screen. Juggles are clutch on Tommy because Rangers cannot Block/Assist until they hit the ground. Every time I juggle my opponent I think to myself "guaranteed damage" because ground combos inevitably lead to them Blocking and counterattacking you. You want to get air juggles as much as possible, push them into the corner, and then back off to regenerate your Power, hopefully with a Block and/or defensive Assist in the pocket. Good thing Tommy's toolkit is designed for juggling, especially:

Dagger Quake - Dagger Quake is an odd attack. Tommy slams the ground in front of him with his Dragon Dagger which launches a small, medium-speed ground "shockwave" projectile forward. Only the projectile has a hitbox - an opponent standing directly in front of Tommy when he uses DQ will not be hit by the dagger; she will be hit the moment the shockwave materializes and makes contact with her. A hit enemy is launched directly into the air, leading to easy juggles from anything. Hopefully Dragon Charge replaced it in the Special slot, that's a good followup, but this is where Kickin It shines, especially since you can set it up so that you have KI in hand when DQ hits. The windup animation is kind of long so you shouldn't just throw it out there, they'll just dash through the projectile and hit you. I find myself mostly using it after a Spinning Heel Kick to launch the opponent and get in a good juggle combo before I back off to regen Power. Honestly for my playstyle this attack just competes with Dragon Charge for the slot, and the more Quakes over Charges I pull, the more likely I am to lose.

coming soon: stuff. idk

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I've noticed that you seem to able to dodge some ranged attacks by dashing through them, such as Kat's fireball.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

You can dodge pretty much every projectile, even the Breaker projectiles (yes, a few of these exist.) Dashing through projectiles is actually a fundamental skill, thanks for the reminder.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Her fireball is a breaker, yeah.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
applied as rafza, this game is cross device (i'm on android)

also ritas grab says its a block breaker but i've had people block it straight up, that's annoying

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

boy are my arms tired posted:

applied as rafza, this game is cross device (i'm on android)

added. everyone in the guild: REQUEST DONATIONS. DONATE CARDS. it levels your player level and gives you coins. we can just pass around trash commons, who cares

also ritas grab says its a block breaker but i've had people block it straight up, that's annoying

I think it like... grabs dashing people or something. It has a weird, long range hitbox that doesn't hit if you're too close? i don't quite understand this assist and i have and use it

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

This game is rad and a lot of fun. The only mobile fighting game I've played that actually benefits from a skilled player while also being live PvP. It feels real good to outplay someone who clearly spent a ton of money on the game with your F2P team just because you're better than them.

Roster is okay but a little small, though there's some cool standout options like classic Goldar and Psycho Ranger Red. Its got a lot of expansion potential though and I'd love to see how they grow the concepts that are in place already.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Oh yeah, this is the game to beat up whales in. They only do a little more damage but they tend to have a lot more health than you, but you can close the gap with one or two good combos and then what. Nuke the whales

Danlee
Dec 7, 2009
Applied as YourDad

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Movie Zack is a drat good character for a common - good for F2Pers. Tommy you will see everywhere. heck i main tommy. he's solid but not op or anything

OG Trini is a staple assist. So is OG Zack. The third staple is Xandred, some demon bug platemail guy from terrible super samurai

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 26, 2017

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Any chance this could be the template for the upcoming Marvel vs. Capcom game?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are there Kaiju fights?

Deodytus
Feb 13, 2012

Applied as Deodytus. I hate how much I'm loving this game, even if classic Billy's reach consistently wrecks me.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Applied as Goodpart! This game is pretty good!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Are there Kaiju fights?

no giant monster/megazord stuff yet, though I imagine they'll have to figure out some way to add that in the future

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

The guild interface is extremely buggy and bare-bones right now. If you've applied and posted here but haven't been accepted for some reason, try reapplying in game again.a

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Game runs kind of laggy for me for some reason, but otherwise I'm in as the same name as here.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
swapped from rita to og zack; if rita the blockbreaker aint blockbreaking then ill get someone that is

i did get styled on by a billy running the shield assist + og zack, that was mighty embarassing

Deodytus
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks to whoever donated yellow shards to me. That assist is nuts. Am I the only one with an active request? It's hard to tell and I'd love to pay it forward, maybe with some Jasons? Please take all my Jasons.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

CascadeBeta posted:

Game runs kind of laggy for me for some reason, but otherwise I'm in as the same name as here.

you probably didn't catch my post in the android gaemu thread but your alliance invite got hosed up so you'll have to re-request it. everyone join the alliance it's free gold and xp

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Okay reapplied!

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

CascadeBeta posted:

Okay reapplied!

can you do it again, it never showed up. i checked the log and no one rejected it or anything it just never appeared in the list. :shrug: lag is intense tonight and it fucks EVERYTHING up

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Applied as Rapner.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Cascade, I got you this morning. I think we got flooded with applications and some weren't appearing. I cleared a ton and it was there next time I checked.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

I mentioned in the OP that if you have a Block on your bar, another one cannot show up in the other two slots. This is crucial. You can manipulate your odds better with a Block in the pocket, and hell, generally speaking you wanna fish for a Block. Not having a Block in hand is the most vulnerable you can be in this game (I guess you could also be cornered as well ) It's why Attackers get fuckin' lit up if you get in on 'em. But like... a large part of the game is trying to guess what the gently caress your opponent has for their three cards. At least the first two slots, ya know? Like... you gotta know if they have their Breaker up. More importantly, you should develop the awareness of their Blocking capabilities. If you think about it for a sec: if your opponent has just used like five attacks in a row, chances are they have a freakin Block in hand. And if you think back to which attacks they were using (yeah... you have to learn the moves, luckily there are only a few) you can deduce which slot has the Block in it, and whether or not they have access to their Breaker. It probably seems like a lot to process from reading this post but this becomes intuitive after a while. When you get your face beat in five times to the same thing you tend to learn what's up.

I'll post more strategy and tactics as I think of it

e: The game revolves around dat Block. You also want to try to put it in the slot that's least relevant to the matchup... but it depends.. which of the three slots it's in matters a TON

and don't forget about the yomi. You can often tell what your opponent has in hand simply by his behavior, aggressive, cautious, waiting, etc. But when you get to higher ranks they start to feint and poo poo it's great

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 26, 2017

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i wish yomi could predict when idiots are gonna exploit to get a draw after getting curbstomped

it has happened four times in a row this morning and its v annoying

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
How do you end up leveling? I filled my box queue and I'm still at only 20 exp.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Drowning Rabbit posted:

How do you end up leveling? I filled my box queue and I'm still at only 20 exp.

Getting "achievements" and upgrading cards. Once you get into the guild, you get xp for donating cards to other goons.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Applying to Big Bad Beetleborgs as Theswarms.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

i wish yomi could predict when idiots are gonna exploit to get a draw after getting curbstomped

it has happened four times in a row this morning and its v annoying

I'm still trying to figure out if this is a plug pull exploit or latency issues. I've been playing uh... a lot and I can tell when the player base is at its peak cuz the same lag glitches crop up at the same time - rooted in place, can't use power, draw.

batwang
May 15, 2002

I call on Cardassians everywhere to rise up. Rise up and join me, I need you to be my army. If we stand together, nothing, can oppose us. Freedom is ours, for the taking!
I want to play, GreenWithEnvy

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

It's morphin time, applied as omgdotexe

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

If you're in the guild you need to be constantly requesting card donations! I don't see any requests up right now and that's wrong. beg for commons and even rares that you need. i will give them to you, it gives me player XP and gold

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Please... send all of the homeless people to sunny Angel Grove, California so that they can roam the streets in hordes, begging for Power Rangers Trading Cards

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Form of... Black Coffee Ranger.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

oh for gently caress's sake this sounds amazing. I do not need another one of these drat mobage games.

I may be applying to the guild later if I get to that point because of course I'm downloading it right now

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Had three four FIVE games in a row that I crushed turn into draws. This sucks, and if this keeps happening I'm going to uninstall this.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 26, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Which Big Bad Beetleborgs group are you?

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Phyresis posted:

you probably didn't catch my post in the android gaemu thread but your alliance invite got hosed up so you'll have to re-request it. everyone join the alliance it's free gold and xp

I think k at this point I've reapplied like 10 times. This game just does not want me in the Beetleborgs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
request sent as Drey this game is surprisingly fun

• Locked thread