Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
sent a request as filetofish. I got my og billy at level 3. Im glad my favorite ranger is available more or less right off the bat. also movie kimberly is really good. I really should see that drat movie at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
In as Xelkelvos

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What is the power gamer way to unlock cores: cheap stuff so you can fill up on expensives or wait out the timer for the expensive stuff?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

polish sausage posted:

sent a request as filetofish. I got my og billy at level 3. Im glad my favorite ranger is available more or less right off the bat. also movie kimberly is really good. I really should see that drat movie at some point.

I saw the movie at a matinee yesterday with a free ticket from Atom. It was surprisingly a good reboot that melded a lot of the old convoluted after thought of a plot to be more fluid.

Goldarr is bad, and the megazord reveal is awesome, then damaged by comic relief right after, and lastly Trini is a lone wolf bitch for the movie up until one scene change where she is magically on board with no explanation, but those are my only complaints. Honestly minor things in the end, but jarring.

So I started today, and ground out what I could, but I'm stuck at 67 exp. and can't join up :(

batwang
May 15, 2002

I call on Cardassians everywhere to rise up. Rise up and join me, I need you to be my army. If we stand together, nothing, can oppose us. Freedom is ours, for the taking!
I would love to donate things but I just get to see a lot of wannabes applying to join our bad rear end guild.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I saw the movie at a matinee yesterday with a free ticket from Atom. It was surprisingly a good reboot that melded a lot of the old convoluted after thought of a plot to be more fluid.

Goldarr is bad, and the megazord reveal is awesome, then damaged by comic relief right after, and lastly Trini is a lone wolf bitch for the movie up until one scene change where she is magically on board with no explanation, but those are my only complaints. Honestly minor things in the end, but jarring.

So I started today, and ground out what I could, but I'm stuck at 67 exp. and can't join up :(
I think they mean your medal count. 400 gets you to Zedd's loving awesome throne room and next league. I am level 2 with 50 Xp. It sucks.

:siren:I heard that you can permanently miss characters by advancing up the ranks too quickly. Don't win too often until you unlock all characters for that tier.:siren:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think they mean your medal count. 400 gets you to Zedd's loving awesome throne room and next league. I am level 2 with 50 Xp. It sucks.

:siren:I heard that you can permanently miss characters by advancing up the ranks too quickly. Don't win too often until you unlock all characters for that tier.:siren:

I hope not because I just lost like 6 in a row, then won 2 in a row and upgraded to league 2 -_-

Also applied as DrowningRabbit

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
welp i got a level 4 katherine and this Aussie sure knows how to hadoken and psycho crush i'll tell you what.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I fought her in one battle and that hadoken was awesome to lose to.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I hope not because I just lost like 6 in a row, then won 2 in a row and upgraded to league 2 -_-

If you can bring up that league tier screen, it will tell you what characters get unlocked for it. If you do lose a handful of battles and open the cheap cores, it should be no problem, just that someone said it was. I have three tier one cores taking their sweet time.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
One of the biggest things to learn about Kat is that you can dodge through her projectiles. Her breaker is really good to finish a combo, but once you learn her moveset, you shouldn't get hit by the hadoken if you're able to dodge it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
my application got rejected or something what am I doing wrong.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Dreylad posted:

my application got rejected or something what am I doing wrong.

sometimes the applications just bug out and get rejected. just apply again

batwang
May 15, 2002

I call on Cardassians everywhere to rise up. Rise up and join me, I need you to be my army. If we stand together, nothing, can oppose us. Freedom is ours, for the taking!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Can you downgrade to lower tiers? Because i have lost about 15 in a row, ill let you know in a few more losses...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I heard you can't go down tiers.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Kelp Plankton posted:

sometimes the applications just bug out and get rejected. just apply again

done! accept me sensei...

batwang
May 15, 2002

Scalding Coffee posted:

I heard you can't go down tiers.

Kind of makes me want to start over now before I get too far ahead.

Kiffetastic
Aug 20, 2004

Oooooh Yeeeees!

C. Everett Koop posted:

Any chance this could be the template for the upcoming Marvel vs. Capcom game?

Boy I hope so because I like this game but dislike Power Rangers in general so I need ^ that game.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

batwang posted:

Kind of makes me want to start over now before I get too far ahead.

It took me a lot of lost games and effort but you definitely can go down tiers. You just do not get demoted immediately after passing the threshold, need to lose an extra game.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 27, 2017

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Looking though the league unlocks in the roster, it looks like the green ranger is cash shop only? That kind of sucks :(

E: typing on this iPad is rife with typos :/

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 27, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How much are the special moves going to cost to unlock when we start hitting beyond the Zedd throne room tier? I doubt I will bother paying for that when I get a new level in a week, since drops are rather bad.

Click on the name of the battlefield you unlocked to find out if you might have skipped over getting all your ranger unlocks. It looks like I missed five people, but those are rares and epics. I think they need to make a patch or they really expect you to spend a week in each tier farming cores. I will ask them about it.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 27, 2017

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Dreylad posted:

request sent as Drey this game is surprisingly fun

Xelkelvos posted:

In as Xelkelvos

polish sausage posted:

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I'm looking for your request applications but this guild interface is a nightmare. like its deliberately designed to drive you insane. it is literally the worst guild interface i have ever dealt with

keep resending the requests

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Applying as Snowmank. I'll keep trying until I'm in!

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

I gained +150 base Health for levelling to Player level 4. No wonder those Level 7+ guys are so drat hard to take down, they have like 600 more base health than me!!

Snowmankilla posted:

Applying as Snowmank. I'll keep trying until I'm in!

grabbed you and filetofish. Guys, your chances of getting in successfully are way higher when I'm active and posting because I clear those drat invites out between rounds

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am talking in the chat. Are there notifications outside of the guild menu, like the donations I am getting?
I noticed there are limits to how many you can donate and receive according to tiers. drat.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am talking in the chat. Are there notifications outside of the guild menu, like the donations I am getting?
I noticed there are limits to how many you can donate and receive according to tiers. drat.

no notifications as far as i can tell

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 27, 2017

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
I finally saw the movie and im really bummed that I missed out on movie billy in the first league. Oh well. Hopefully I can get OG kimberly whenever I get league 4 or whatever.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

if you are currently trying to get into the alliance and submitting requests, please post your name, even if you've posted it already. i've been trying to keep track of y'all but it's a sea of nonstop pub begging all day so i need to know if you're trying to get in

polish sausage posted:

I finally saw the movie and im really bummed that I missed out on movie billy in the first league. Oh well. Hopefully I can get OG kimberly whenever I get league 4 or whatever.

you didn't miss out on anything, he'll show up in any boxes.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
So there is no point in me hovering under 1000 medals to try and get the boxes for that level?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

This is a fun casual take on fg. Applied to the guild as Atomic Dog.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Xand_Man posted:

This is a fun casual take on fg. Applied to the guild as Atomic Dog.

Got you added. Cleared everything else. It looks as though there's some kind of application message that isn't working yet that just says "please accept". Once we get a goon message in this will get easier.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A reminder that donating shards gives you XP and coin for each or even more for epics. Always be donating. The next player level always gives you a huge boost to winning battles over lowbies.

I would not spend beakers on unlocking cores unless you have a timing reason to unlock early. They count as several coins and upgrading a level 1 epic leader is 50 coins. Their stats are crazy high.

You can dodge ranged attacks by swiping and moving around should become second nature. Become the God Hand and dodge attacks point blank.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 27, 2017

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat.
Can you add your leader advice to the OP, I've been finding it useful so I'm sure others will too.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

I'd be donating more but you guys are eatin up my Trinis and Zacks. I'd have more but I had just levelled them to 6 so I only had a few dozen sittin around, I'm opening victory chests tho

Roid666 posted:

So there is no point in me hovering under 1000 medals to try and get the boxes for that level?

not rly

Gavinvin posted:

Can you add your leader advice to the OP, I've been finding it useful so I'm sure others will too.

working on a better writeup now that i have almost a hundred fights under my belt. much more experienced with these heroes

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

here's a sample writeup

Ranger Danger: A Character Analysis and Guide

Tommy Oliver, the Green Ranger - Tommy, Tommy, Tommy. What would Power Rangers be without Tommy Oliver? "NOTHING", screams Jason David Frank from a crowded convention hall. Tommy is decidedly not AFK in this game; the higher up you rank, the more Tommies you will run into until it gets absolutely absurd. I'm talking The Legend of Zelda™: Breath of the Wild attach rate percentages here. Hell, I main Tommy. He's my favorite Ranger and he's fun to play. I understand. As such this will obviously be the longest Leader writeup, and most of the initial Leader analysis is from a Green Ranger POV. I feel like Tommy is not OP but god drat, there are so many of them in my bracket that I can't say that is true. Suffice to say, I've gotten pretty proficient at the mirror match, which comes down to 50/50 RNGs... I mean it's a mirror match, duh.

So what's Tommy's deal? Tommy is a combo character; he does huge damage on long juggle chains after a successful hit confirm. The issue is getting that first hit aka "opening them up." His toolset is diverse but the random nature of attacks can really gently caress up his game plan as he lacks the redundancy that some other Leaders possess. That's the tradeoff and balancing factor between the Leaders: having many tools to deal with different situations vs. having consistent attacks, especially Breakers. Tommy's Breaker is... not great. It does the job, and sometimes you get lucky and roll it multiple times in a row for the win, but it is a weakness of his. The game revolves around Breakers and Blocks, with a dash of Assists to mix it up.

Kickin It- Kickin It kinda sucks. I mean it does ok damage for 3 Power but the animation is so long. Tommy does a bunch of karate kicks for a few seconds. It means that opponent has plenty of time to Block or call in Xandred/M.Billy in between kicks and then counterattack you. Also, it shares the slot with your all-important Breaker, so in certain matchups you have to throw it out there just to fish for a SHK so you don't die, and the long animation is rough for that situation. A lot of the time I just eat the Block that I know they have with it, which reminds me to mention another FUNDAMENTAL piece of advice: don't attack into a known Block unless you have a Block as well, or an appropriate response or assist that can serve the same role. Often times you get into a DBZ-style block/counter war that only ends when one Ranger runs out of Power, which reminds me of the third fundamental lesson: try to maintain a full Power pool. Don't desperation attack every time you manage to scrounge three Power when you're empty. Sometimes you just gotta take your lumps, I mean literally just take the hit that you know is coming because you just used all of your Power finishing a huge combo and they're about to stand up with 10 Power and go HAM on your rear end. I mean obviously you backdash, which is like half the reason why spacing is so important in this game and you want to push them to their side as much as you can. You need room to breathe when you're out of Power. When you are backed into the corner and out of Power, you are loving dead. You have no options, no responses possible, and your opponent probably knows this, as he pushed you into the corner for a reason. You need to be mentally estimating their Power availability so you don't get fall into those terrible death traps.

Yeah, so Kickin It. It's really good in a juggle chain, but not so good as an opener. Try not to open with it unless you suspect that they don't have a Block - and be prepared for them to have a Block, because I cannot ever seem to put them on NO Block at all, even if I just baited one out. Tommy's weak to Defenders in general because Block just fucks his day up. No real way to open up besides:

Spinning Heel Kick - Tommy's Breaker, probably his most important attack. The more SHK and the less Kickin It you pull in a game, the better your odds are to win. Yeah, straight up. Spinning Heel Kick is a roundhouse kick with very short range and a long windup animation, but it only costs 3 Power. Players are very leery in this game so baiting out Blocks is relatively easy. SHK them in the face and drop a nice combo. If you're attacking into a known/suspected Block, the best option is to Block/Xandred her counterattack and then SHK so that she can't Block you back, and proceed to chain. It also punks out most assists, which is a very important piece of the RCP matchup. You can even kick Goldar assist in the face with it if you time it right, but that's real tough. That assist is a bitch. That's why I run it. SHK is the best thing to use after you've knocked your opponent down and she is about to stand up as it really limits their options. Most of the time they Block anyway and now you've eaten a Block - you gotta keep eating and baiting out blocks as Tommy. The more often you are Blocked and counterattacked, the more likely you are to lose.

Dragon Charge - Now we're talking. When you activate Dragon Charge, Tommy dashes forward, slashing with his Dagger twice for massive damage. I think it's one of the highest Damage per Power attacks in the game. The catch: it has two hits, most of the damage is on the second hit, and your opponent can Block between hits. You cannot throw just throw this attack out there, you WILL get Blocked and countered and 4 Power is not something you should just throw away. Wasting energy is another way to lose this game. The best use of DC is to combo it after a hit confirm, literally anything. It's so fast and Tommy moves so far (almost across the whole screen) that you can catch an opponent that's flying directly away from you after something like Spinning Heel Kick. There are yomi situations where you can open with it but keep in mind that that is a high risk, high reward proposition. If you have a bit of Power saved you can juggle combo another Dragon Charge into the first, regardless of where you are on the screen. Juggles are clutch on Tommy because Rangers cannot Block/Assist until they hit the ground. Every time I juggle my opponent I think to myself "guaranteed damage" because ground combos inevitably lead to them Blocking and counterattacking you. You want to get air juggles as much as possible, push them into the corner, and then back off to regenerate your Power, hopefully with a Block and/or defensive Assist in the pocket. Good thing Tommy's toolkit is designed for juggling, especially:

Dagger Quake - Dagger Quake is an odd attack. Tommy slams the ground in front of him with his Dragon Dagger which launches a small, medium-speed ground "shockwave" projectile forward. Only the projectile has a hitbox - an opponent standing directly in front of Tommy when he uses DQ will not be hit by the dagger; she will be hit the moment the shockwave materializes and makes contact with her. A hit enemy is launched directly into the air, leading to easy juggles from anything. Hopefully Dragon Charge replaced it in the Special slot, that's a good followup, but this is where Kickin It shines, especially since you can set it up so that you have KI in hand when DQ hits. The windup animation is kind of long so you shouldn't just throw it out there, they'll just dash through the projectile and hit you. I find myself mostly using it after a Spinning Heel Kick to launch the opponent and get in a good juggle combo before I back off to regen Power. Honestly for my playstyle this attack just competes with Dragon Charge for the slot, and the more Quakes over Charges I pull, the more likely I am to lose.

WIP

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 27, 2017

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
That's really good. Getting into the meat of characters and how they work really makes this game really stand out.

I'd be willing to write up something on new movie Zack, if you want help. I'm basically maining him at this point.

Edit: also as much as movie red ranger sucks, I'd be willing to play him for a set of games to learn him for a write up since he's the one everyone has at the start.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 27, 2017

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I don't know if I have the info to do a writeup like that, but I'm a bit of a whale on games like this and have some other interesting leaders. (For the record, I think I've only spent ~$100 on this. Don't judge. I've definitely been beaten by people who are FTP.) My primary is Tommy, simply because his stats seem head and shoulders above the other leaders I've acquired, but I haven't played with them enough to know if this is a glitch or just poor balancing. I'm at work or I'd post screenshots, but this is the next best thing..

Now, since Tommy is my "main", I have upgraded his attacks at least once. But look how much higher his basic attack levels are compared to higher tier rarities than him. I realize he's a higher level, and that does factor heavily, but he should be more common than an "Epic" or "Legendary"..

Tommy - Rare - Lvl 4
Helath - 331
Kickin' it (3) - 176
Spinning Heel Kick (3) - 172
Dragon Charge (4) - 251
Dagger Quake (3) - 92

Kimberly (2017 - Rare - Lvl 3
Health - 225
Rapid Fury (3) - 62
Power Kick (3) - 114
Charging Kick (5) - 114
Vortex Launch (5) 136

Koda - Epic - Lvl 2
Health - 233
Cappeira Combo (3) - 124
Half Moon kick (2) - 69
Shield Slam (5) - 169
Shield Toss (3) - 69

Billy (2017) - Epic - Lvl 2
Health - 155
Bully Breaker (4) - 35
Too Much Power Punch (3) - 100
Blast Radius (3) - 49
EMP (5) - 100

Gia Moran - Legendary - lvl 1
Health - 100
Stun Gun Trio (4) - 55
Sword Stinger (3) - 64
Skeet Shot (3) - 120
Sabre Whip (6) - 184

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Not to poo poo talk because it's your money but man I wish I had $100 I could casually throw around on f2p games.

Tommy seems absurdly good because he has above average stats paired with fantastic combo ability. He's not unbeatable, especially if the Tommy player is bad, but man it's more difficult than other rangers.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

New Leaf posted:

I don't know if I have the info to do a writeup like that, but I'm a bit of a whale on games like this and have some other interesting leaders. (For the record, I think I've only spent ~$100 on this. Don't judge. I've definitely been beaten by people who are FTP.) My primary is Tommy, simply because his stats seem head and shoulders above the other leaders I've acquired, but I haven't played with them enough to know if this is a glitch or just poor balancing. I'm at work or I'd post screenshots, but this is the next best thing..

did I get anything wrong? this is all just from experience and tbqh this game runs like rear end on my poor phone

I find M.Zack, OG Jason, Goldar, and OG Kimberly to be at least as good as Tommy. Koda has potential too, he's just really different and Snide seems really loving good. That jerk can go invisible

Billy's like almost as good as them, he just needs a bit of a damage bump imo

oh yeah and M.Billy. The epics are really really good its just that people don't have levels on em yet

e: I think it's a meta thing, I see where y'all are in the brackets and I can deduce that yeah because of the tier unlocks and the ease of unlocking and levelling Tommy he is probably dominant in T3 and below but M.Zack, Danny, and Billy have good matchups against him, maybe even up to 60:40

e2: Kat's unfortunately getting hated out of the meta because he seems to just crush her like 80:20 or some poo poo

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 27, 2017

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Phyresis posted:

did I get anything wrong? this is all just from experience and tbqh this game runs like rear end on my poor phone

I find M.Zack, OG Jason, Goldar, and OG Kimberly to be at least as good as Tommy. Koda has potential too, he's just really different and Snide seems really loving good. That jerk can go invisible

Billy's like almost as good as them, he just needs a bit of a damage bump imo

oh yeah and M.Billy. The epics are really really good its just that people don't have levels on em yet

No you've pretty much got him nailed. Koda is fun, I've played with him, and I use him as an Ally or whatever the helpers are called (at work). I've tried Gia too, but I'd need another level or two on her to really get a feel for it, and I don't see that happening any time soon.

CascadeBeta posted:

Not to poo poo talk because it's your money but man I wish I had $100 I could casually throw around on f2p games.

Tommy seems absurdly good because he has above average stats paired with fantastic combo ability. He's not unbeatable, especially if the Tommy player is bad, but man it's more difficult than other rangers.

It's a terrible habit. Don't envy me haha..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat.
Requested as Gavinvin

• Locked thread