Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

etalian posted:

At least I will be safe in the dream world!

*Gets beat senseless even in his dreams*

Speaking of that, did I miss something in this newest episode? Previously he was getting his rear end kicked with nobody around to wake him up before he dies and they make it really ominous, then suddenly in the next episode he's out training like normal and then runs away. What happened?

Did he just wake up hours later in the mirror room coughing up blood without anyone noticing, drag himself back to the bunk, then just go on with life like nothing had happened? I was hoping maybe the evil version took over by beating him, but then he's out doing a semi-respectful thing before escaping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

LentThem posted:

Did he just wake up hours later in the mirror room coughing up blood without anyone noticing, drag himself back to the bunk, then just go on with life like nothing had happened? I was hoping maybe the evil version took over by beating him, but then he's out doing a semi-respectful thing before escaping.

Seems like it.

I'm a week behind, watching the show with a friend. I was confused why Nos bothered to taunt Sonny when he was just about to leave to go back to the badlands. Like, just don't stab your concubine in front of the dude. Let it go for an hour.

Nope, "gently caress up critically" was at the top of his Wasteland rear end in a top hat Checklist.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Getting hit with the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique is never a good thing.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Season 2 already better than Season 1 with the addition of Nick Frost.

Just started the second season and it's glaring how much better an actor Nick Frost is than literally every other person on the show. It's comical how much better his scenes are. At least the fighting is still fun.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Frustrated posted:

Just started the second season and it's glaring how much better an actor Nick Frost is than literally every other person on the show. It's comical how much better his scenes are. At least the fighting is still fun.

I wouldn't go that far, the guy who plays Quinn is pretty good. And I think it is hard to really judge any of the actors when they don't have a whole lot of character to work with. It is a show about cool fights and it does that really well.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I still hate MK but the monk fight in a Christmas Winter Wonderland was hella cool.

Also renewed for a 16 episode season 3! :dance:

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
so did the abbots have some easy fast way to get their pickup truck in and out of the badlands at the end of season 1 and if so, why doesnt Nick Frost Former Abbot know about it

also that wired magazine was surprisingly well preserved considering the world ended enough generations ago that nobody has any memory of anything

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

LentThem posted:

so did the abbots have some easy fast way to get their pickup truck in and out of the badlands at the end of season 1 and if so, why doesnt Nick Frost Former Abbot know about it

It's probably the fact that the people who guard whatever main roads there are have learned not to cause trouble for those crazy people in orange.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I actually think the acting is pretty good across the board, with the notable exception of the kid actors. All of the actors go hammy as gently caress with their performances but that's just the kind of show it is. I do agree that Nick Frost is great though.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I thought Quinn's performance was too much when I first started watching this show but I soon became a fan of the big southern maniacal barron that waxes poetically about the good old days and warriors and empires.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think the feral act he's got going in the second season is a good fit for him.

Not sure I want him to survive beyond this season, though. I find his wives more interesting, particularly wherever they're going with Orla Brady's connection to Sunny.

(Or has that been revealed yet? I can't remember.)

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
MK and even Sonny are both horrible actors.

Quinn is like Russell Crowe's crazy plantation owner Confederate cousin.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think the feral act he's got going in the second season is a good fit for him.

Not sure I want him to survive beyond this season, though. I find his wives more interesting, particularly wherever they're going with Orla Brady's connection to Sunny.

(Or has that been revealed yet? I can't remember.)

What connection? I can't recall any priori relationship hinted at.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Keyser S0ze posted:

MK and even Sonny are both horrible actors.

Quinn is like Russell Crowe's crazy plantation owner Confederate cousin.

MK is the most annoying, but I totes disagree about Sonny.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I thought Quinn's performance was too much when I first started watching this show but I soon became a fan of the big southern maniacal barron that waxes poetically about the good old days and warriors and empires.

It's even more hilarious to me since Marton Csokas was Celeborn in Lord of the Rings.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

wiegieman posted:

It's probably the fact that the people who guard whatever main roads there are have learned not to cause trouble for those crazy people in orange.

in that case, its a good thing they just killed 3 abbots and now have the truck and 3 sets of robes needed to bypass the checkpoint

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

wiegieman posted:

I'm kind of disappointed that none of the characters realise they're in a Kung Fu show.

See a horde of heavily armed and trained soldiers approaching your gate? Let's go gently caress em up boys!

See three unassuming, unarmed monks minding their own business? Aww poo poo let's just let these guys pass. I don't want to get my rear end kicked today.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

What connection? I can't recall any priori relationship hinted at.

During the first two or three episodes (which I rewatched recently, the show really has improved) she completely freaks out about the pendant Sunny secretly owns -- just like Sunny freaks out when he finds out that MK has one just like it.

Sonny's pendant is the only thing he has left over from when he was a child, so I figured there was some connection between her and him, since she clearly doesn't have any kung fu powers.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Kegslayer posted:

I still hate MK but the monk fight in a Christmas Winter Wonderland was hella cool.

Also renewed for a 16 episode season 3! :dance:

Wow, that's pretty cool. Maybe we'll actually get a payoff on what caused the apocalypse and all the guns to go bye bye. I was recently spoiled by Horizon: Zero Dawn's really cool take on a post-apocalypse though so my standards are probably too high to really be satisfied with whatever they come up with.

I'm sure the fights will still be fun at least, and I've just been tuning in and out of this season anyway.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Open Source Idiom posted:

During the first two or three episodes (which I rewatched recently, the show really has improved) she completely freaks out about the pendant Sunny secretly owns -- just like Sunny freaks out when he finds out that MK has one just like it.

Sonny's pendant is the only thing he has left over from when he was a child, so I figured there was some connection between her and him, since she clearly doesn't have any kung fu powers.

Did Sonny have a pendant too? I thought he had the compass, MK had the pendant, and the Widow had the book.

Speaking of the Widow, does anyone else remember that she's also from wherever MK is from? It's crazy that the show let that slip early in the first season but it was only mentioned by her only once and it's never been brought up again. She doesn't seem to have the same power as MK, or possibly she does but she's been able to control it like the Abbots, but she definitely knows about their homeland.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Did Sonny have a pendant too? I thought he had the compass, MK had the pendant, and the Widow had the book.

Speaking of the Widow, does anyone else remember that she's also from wherever MK is from? It's crazy that the show let that slip early in the first season but it was only mentioned by her only once and it's never been brought up again. She doesn't seem to have the same power as MK, or possibly she does but she's been able to control it like the Abbots, but she definitely knows about their homeland.

Didn't the widow imply that she had the 'black-eye' power but that it was taken from her? Making her just another well-trained human?

I bet Sonny is the one that has actually been controlling the power all his life without being aware of it.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Everyone really hates Murder Kid. Yikes. I mean, he recites lines worse than a Speak & Spell, and he makes the worst possible decisions at every opportunity, and he killed his own mother, and he consistently betrays Sonny and never listens to him, and is host to some cloudy-eyed kung-fu monster, and... *returns from trip circling the sun* but I like his brand of awful. He's a hurricane, just bringing chaos with him wherever he goes, starts all kinds of poo poo. His very bad makes interesting things happen.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hey guys I've been binging through this show, which is easy 'cuz the first season's only like thirty minutes long, give or take...and I really loving loved the first season.

But...drat...s2 is kind of a sloggy turd, isn't it? I'm constantly reminded of Game of Thrones and not in a good way.

I don't even dislike the perennially-shirtless jailbait MK as much as most people I guess but, good lord, if I have to watch another one of his boring loving scenes my eyes are going to go black and make me kill someone. "Hey guys how many times can I wake up from a restless dream and then go sneak somewhere and then get caught? It's a loving lot!"

Widow was a gripping badass in s1 but now she's mostly just like...whatever. Did they run out of the crack they used to feed the actress with? And I seem to recall Tilda used to do a lot of cool things but I don't remember a single thing she's done lately other than throw CGI shurikens.

People say "at least the fights are still good" but I feel like the fights are uniformly worse now? And the main reason is that they waaaay overuse slow-motion this season, which is a surefire sign of them trying to hide bad fighting. The worst offender was probably the Sunny/Nathaniel fight which was supposed to look like a badass showdown between two masters but just turned into a sloggy, awkwardly-lit, awkwardly-staged yawnfest.

And holy poo poo, this Veil plot. Aaooohghgh. Did they ever actually explain why she saved Quinn? Was it just for shits and giggles?

I haven't even watched episode 6 yet. I'm probably gonna stick it out a little bit but, drat...I expect most TV shows to disappoint me eventually but "within the space of a single day" has got to be a new record. What in the hell happened?

e: Riveting update! Just saw episode 6, and it actually was a bit of an improvement from the prior five. Most of the issues I'm having with this season are still there in bits and bobs, but hopefully things continue to improve.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 30, 2017

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I find that season two is superior to season one in pretty much every way. The story is much leaner and more focused, and the action is just as good if not better.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
I can't wait to learn more about Nick Frost's character. The monks seem interesting, acting aside. Quin's still cool too.

Has it been mentioned in this thread yet that it's been renewed for an expanded 16-episode season 3?

"The martial-arts drama has been renewed for a third season, the network announced on Tuesday, with Season 3 expanding to a total of 16 episodes."
http://tvline.com/2017/04/25/into-the-badlands-renewed-season-3-amc/

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

HAHAha comparing literally any of fights this season to Sunny's rainy night sword fight, or the warehouse massacre, or the Widow vs Quinn fight, much less the incredible Widow vs Sunny Croughing Tiger-inspired multiple weapons showdown, is some full frontal cray-cray. The best that season 2 has offered us is probably Sunny's junkyard fight, and even that got kinda reminiscent of Power Rangers vs Putty Patrol.

(no disrespect to my homies, the Rangers)

Seriously, watch the season 1 fights again. Look how very. Sparingly. If at all. They ever relied on fartsy slow-motion shots. Virtually everything is fast-paced and full of impact, played at full speed without a lot of fast cuts in order to highlight the clear choreography and skillset of their actors and stunt crew.

Incidentally, I guess Sunny's new sword is pretty or whatever, but that's really all it is; I think it was the height of insanity to saddle him with a weapon that actively hampers the character's natural agility. Look at how wild and frenetic his swordplay used to be, compared to the wide clumsy swings with that new anime sword that doesn't suit him at all. I can't wait for it to get broken, frankly.

Anyway. On a non-whiny note...

Someone compared M.K. to Tripitaka earlier, and there's definitely some surface similarities there especially in s1, but to me he's actually much more thematically and narratively similar to Sun Wukong at this point. (Keeping in mind that all the Journey to the West inspirations in this show are very loose and not meant to be a 1:1 comparison) All that bo staff training is a clear visual resemblance. But the struggle with his rage and dark tendencies, for which he has to make amends, is very evocative of Wukong's early career. Wukong also sought mystical training from an enlightened sage, but was cast out before his study was complete. He also known for his piercing eyes (gold in the source) that struck fear into his enemies. The core of Sun Wukong's journey, really, is his tutelage under various masters who force him to learn humility and maturity to temper his great powers.

Also: M.K. -> Monkey King. Phonetically, "Emkay" is also closer to "Monkey" than it is to "Monk."

I do see why Sunny is more often compared with Sun Wukong (again, keeping in mind that all JTTW inspirations in this show are very loose!), what with him being the main hero, being the best fighter, and he also has darkness he has to atone for...but his darkness was more forced upon him and not really the result of hubris or rage issues per se. Right now I'm actually seeing more similarities between him and Sha Wujing, who was punished and exiled by his former master for a petty crime. His current weapon is also pretty intentionally evocative of Wujing's signature weapon, the crescent-moon staff (that he got from Nathaniel Moon, natch) with khakkara rings attached. And then there's his personality, which fits Wujing much more than Wukong.

And Sunny can be shorthand for Sun Wukong, yeah, but it's also similar-sounding to "Sandy."

Right now, I'd actually say that the Tripitaka figure is Veil (KEEPING IN MIND JTTW INSPIRATIONS ARE LOOSE AND YADA BLAH). Tripitaka is periodically portrayed as feminine/outright played by a woman in adaptations, which is probably due to him firmly occupying the helpless damsel in distress role throughout the story, with every demonic creature in China out to capture him and treating him as a prize to be coveted (and then eaten). Maybe more importantly, Tripitaka is the major (arguably only) voice of pacifism and mercy throughout the storyline, constantly disapproving of Wukong's violent approaches, often to the point of naivete and willful ignorance...which also fits Veil to the tee.

(Seriously though, why the gently caress did she save Quinn after season 1? Are we actually supposed to just chalk it up to her being innately unable to watch him die? If that's the case why did she stay with him for six months after he'd been stabilized?? This is the dumbest part of the story so far and I have a bad feeling that it'll never be addressed)

Speaking of which, a comparison that I haven't seen made too much is that of Quinn to the Bull Demon King, who's probably the most prominent villain character from JTTW. Not only does he have a personal history with Wukong, but he's one of the characters in JTTW whose family life is most clearly detailed...specifically, with his wife Princess Iron Fan, and his son the Red Boy, both of whom fit as analogues for Lydia and Ryder (mostly).

And Bajie is just Bajie of course. As for the rest...dunno. Metaphors and themes only get so far. :v:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Seriously, watch the season 1 fights again. Look how very. Sparingly. If at all. They ever relied on fartsy slow-motion shots.

*clicks link*
*moves slider to random spot*
*immediately see tons*

Hmmm, it looks like your problem is actually that the slow-mo of S02 isn't fartsy enough.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I guess I'm stumbling into a nest of die-hard fans here or whatever but your definition of "tons" is as close to being objectively wrong as you can get with a subjective descriptor. Out of those twenty-six minutes of action footage, I'd wager that there are less than thirty seconds of slow-motion, and that's being generous. Most of it is in the final fight with those monks to show their ~mysterious pooower~.

e3: Y'know...never mind.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 1, 2017

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

I guess I'm stumbling into a nest of die-hard fans here or whatever but your definition of "tons" is as close to being objectively wrong as you can get with a subjective descriptor. Out of those twenty-six minutes of action footage, I'd wager that there are less than thirty seconds of slow-motion, and that's being generous. Most of it is in the final fight with those monks to show their ~mysterious pooower~.

5:07, Widow fighting off attackers is where I was. The slow-motion is plentiful but I guess I stumbled into someone with a me-against-them mentality about how much of a disappointment this show is and how receptive people should be to your textwall whining.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

best fight of season 1 was the Widow vs Quinn.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
what are those dumbass rings on Sonny's new sword about anyway.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I also enjoy the unrelenting cheese of this show, the fight scenes aren't '90s HK movie quality but compared to anything else on tv they're at least fun. I don't even really care about the plot holes that much and while MK is annoying he's a teenager and he's acting like an impulsive poo poo which is actually normal for dudes that age.

Keyser S0ze posted:

what are those dumbass rings on Sonny's new sword about anyway.
There's Chinese swords and halberd-ey things with rings on them.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

They make noise to scare/confuse enemies (and horses). They're more common on heavier swords/halberds.

That's a nice analysis. I hadn't even considered Sunny as Sand but it does make sense. Guess we'll know for sure if any of the characters get fitted with a control collar...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cvnvcnv posted:

The sword rebelled some as a teenager.

lol

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
The fights in season 1 were much more cinematic but season 2 is much better just for Nick Frost alone.

gently caress the haters and their lovely tits! :argh:

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
god drat, that fight with Widow in the bar was a whirlwind of blades, id forgotten how badass that and the rain-fight were

the season two fights seem a lot slower-paced overall; a lot of combat stances followed by swing > step > swing > duck/sidestep > swing

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
New thread title: Int the Bandlands - Season 2: No poo poo on my tits

So, I'm sure it's obvious by now, but now we know the Widow's backstory, and why she doesn't go dark when she's cut.

This latest episode redeemed MK in my eyes; he is definitely better out of the Abbot's temple and with Sonny and Baji, although I do understand the importance of his time with the Abbots, in terms of his character.

Baji is such a great character, I really like the idea of the adventures of Sonny/Baji/MK. The entire scene of Baji and MK cutting the students to get them to attack the masters was hilarious.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
So, this season, I've been trying to work out where the show's set. Last episode had a sign for Blanca Peak, which is in Colorado. So I guess that's where it is?

I'd been thinking it was in Badlands National Park, but the visuals in the show don't really match, and that's kinda a ways away (although with boats and trucks, who knows).

Current theory is that Azra is somewhere west of that, maybe Arizona.

Although, I'm always a week behind, so maybe I've missed something from this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
From the previews, it looks like Quinn is going to try and make Veil his new wife to replace Jade. :barf:

For gently caress's sakes woman, please tell me you had a good reason for saving the life of the man who murdered your parents and raised your lover as a child soldier.

• Locked thread