Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
we're all going to die

ironically our ability to adapt will be our undoing

we pull away cards one at a time, dumping plastics into the ocean, creating a greenhouse effect, deforestation... the list goes on.

so fast do we improve our lives that nothing else can even remotely keep up with us.

when the coral dies, there will be no place for the shellfish to live, but we'll have killed all the fish. there will be so many vacuums that when we pull that final card, the one that sends us over the edge.

the vacuum will fill suddenly and our society will collapse instantly.

a few will remain, vagrant victims of our hubris.

these men will build the world again, it will not be the same. the 8th generation of the planet is waiting for your children. they will rise, smart enough to survive in the ashes we have left for them to roam in.

their tragic children will know us as fools as they repeat our mistakes.

we are a glitch.

at some point one creature will run amok. that is the natural order of it. they fill the niche that nothing else can and then monopolize that system... the dinosaurs did it. every generation of earth had one like it. it made oxygen. it made oil. every mass extinction is the groundwork of another more powerful species.

but they weren't supposed to be self aware. that was the issue. we have to halves to our brain, we have language, we can talk to ourselves. it allows for self reflection. but it's two halves of the same self. its an insular, closed conversation. an infinite loop that changes only when prodded slightly from the outside. we think we change, but we don't... one of our two selves won the argument.

thats not part of the programming. that wasn't supposed to happen. language is hosed up, it broke us. we will destroy the planet because we can share informatino faster than anyone else, because we think we can self reflect, we are utterly uncaring of any consequences we can see. if we were truly intelligent, we would learn. no, we are stupid bioligcal impulses that gently caress and scream and eat until we die.

its going to be loving beautiful. we are more kick rear end than the dinosaurs. we would be gods to those stupid loving shitlizards. we're going to be nothing nobodies the children of the future fantasize about. we will be in whatever is equivalent to their books as these dominant alpha fucks that couldn't even learn to survive a heatwave.

we are the next step to a godhood we will never see or comprehend, and we will be remembered as a footnote to their rightful place in history.

and these gods too shall be a blip in time.

no, this is the end. it may not look like it, but it's all downhill from here.

one may think its trump, but it was just our stupid brokebrains. we fight over things that glimmer because we want to put it on our fingers. to say, yes, i can throw a life away. that is why i have this ring.

that's it, isn't it? we're all powerthirsty. to be able to say you can throw human life at your minor inconveniences, your luxuries, it lets us live a little bit longer, it makes the chemicals in our brain fire off. we're loving machines, sex good, shiny good, sugar good. the longer we can do all those things... thats just in our dna.

how about this, what if we were fair?

i know, it sounds stupid. what if we collectively said, everyone who has everything has a little bit less to ensure everyone gets a minimum amount of dopamine for a minimum amount of time. that's the social contract we're really after, isn't it? we all want that. we just want to feel good for as long as possible. some of us risk losing the chance of it... that's what scares us. we don't take from the masters because of some philosophical reason.

no, not at all....

good isn't real.

my god, we're all just jealous.

all of this, it's loving meaningless. it's just a bunch of chemicals and we want to take a little more chemicals from the people that have more of them.

that's what it's all about.

that's what it comes down to.

everything is just a bunch of stupid loving chemicals and life is about maximizing them. that's it. we're stupid pieces of trash.

really, can you blame the poor? the ones that wish to rob the rich? they want the chemicals they all get.

sex, food, drugs, entertainment. it's all about maximization. suffer now for good later. enjoy life, love your neighbor, love yourself. go eat a cheeseburger because we're all gonna die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
converse below

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
nah

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

nope

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Yup

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
No.

I mean even if we are the possibility of finding out about it is so unlikely that it doesn't matter a single solitary drat in terms of our lives, so even if you consider it to be in the slightest degree possible the answer is still effectively no. It's stupid fart-huffing for :420:/tech singularity types.

Vincent Van Goatse has issued a correction as of 08:10 on Mar 26, 2017

electrigger
Dec 18, 2005

so gay and you don't even like boys
I too enjoy marijuana

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

who is to say

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
things aren't as bad as you think, all problems we face are solvable, the only missing component is solidarity

you want to fight the apocalypse, make friends, get social/hypersocialize and find a purpose

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If you only want to interpret things in the simulation metaphor, here you go:

there's this game called the talos principle, where you play a robot in a simulation, it's essentially a portal clone but it's pretty creative itself

anyway, at the center of the map, there's a tower, and the literal god of the simulation tells you not to climb the tower

so of course you do

and at the end, he tells you that of course you were supposed to climb the tower

you find out that the simulation is a program built by people, to evolve a strong ai, after climate change/the apocalypse kills all humans, so that robots can inherit the earth after them

the puzzles are all a test, to see if you can solve problems, but the 'tower' is itself a special kind of test test

a dependent robot doesn't climb the tower, since it doesn't have free will. it just does what it's told to do, doesn't climb the tower, and therefore fails

but an independent robot, one with true Strong AI, proves its independence, by defying its creator

long story short: there's always an 'out', there's always an answer, but it's never going to be handed to you, you have to wrestle it from the hands of the computer god, after you kill it

god is dead, long live man

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
no the gently caress would i think that for

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
If we're in a simulation thats like, universe simulation, then its some big rear end energy minimization problem that we're some side effect of (dark energy dark matter etc being most of the poo poo, thats where the money is)

if we're in an ancestor simulation then lol @ trump being important enough to ancestor simulate. i don't think advanced super humans honestly would care too much anyhow

if we're in a big videogame then i think id be smarter than i am so im prob not a future human playing this as a videogame

and if im an AI being trained in a simulated world then lol again id be smarter than i am so not an AI being trained

im p sure if it is a simulatiopn then the dudes running the sim are p much close enough to being gods that meh they are gods whatever and the universe is yeah some god's creation etc whatever and im pretty fuckin sure we're utterly incidential to what the sim is simulating (the universe is p big)

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im more concerned that dark matter aliens are chillaxing here

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

If we're in a simulation someone give me the fuckin cheat codes.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Trapped in anime

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Baloogan posted:

im more concerned that dark matter aliens are chillaxing here

they aint hurting nobody

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Darkman Fanpage posted:

they aint hurting nobody

Bunch'a wimps, if you ask me.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Didn't read op but want to know about dark matter aliens

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I like the sci fi fictional religion where the belief is that the universe is a giant simulated experiment but if everyone inside is made aware that it's an experiment through the religion then the data will no longer be valid and they'll have to restart/stop it

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!
what if i am a butterfly dreaming he is a goon?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I like the sci fi fictional religion where the belief is that the universe is a giant simulated experiment but if everyone inside is made aware that it's an experiment through the religion then the data will no longer be valid and they'll have to restart/stop it

isn't that just gnosticism

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

zeal posted:

buddhism; in either case the goal is to figure out that reality isn't real and crash it

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

zeal posted:

I forget what it was called it was from an Iain Banks novel

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
the animatrix was cool

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

we're just dumb op

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
i am a trashman

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

how do i bring up the console?

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
People? No.

Goons? Probably.

Or at least one of those animes where everyone is ugly.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
i wish I could simulate reading that post OP!!!!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
no

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief
let's see, you don't remember your death, or your birth
most of the universe is invisible to you; you are unable to communicate with other intelligent beings although surely they must exist
there are plenty of planets out there like this one, but all of them too far to study up close, and the speed necessary for travel makes it impossible to ever study these planets up close
we are randomly the top of the food chain and the only self aware beings on this planet, yet we don't live very long compared to other life forms on this planet
pretty much anything we gain, we gain at a cost, and anything we lose, there are benefits to losing
we are constantly in need of one another, forcing us to learn cooperation, whether we like it or not, with the exception of the rich who seemingly go insane as a result of being wealthy

this is a simulation, God is real, and they are trolling us

fin

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
I wouldn't say I'm "trapped" as such. No idea about you fuckos.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I'm not trapped in a simulation, the simulation is trapped in me :getin:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm one of the Silicon Valley plutarchs that is funding a team of scientists to figure out how to escape the matrix.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

We are in a simulation, but it's studying fundamental physics. The programmers are not aware of us, and none of their functions for summarising the results of the simulation are of a type that would detect human existence.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

let's see, you don't remember your death, or your birth
most of the universe is invisible to you; you are unable to communicate with other intelligent beings although surely they must exist
there are plenty of planets out there like this one, but all of them too far to study up close, and the speed necessary for travel makes it impossible to ever study these planets up close
we are randomly the top of the food chain and the only self aware beings on this planet, yet we don't live very long compared to other life forms on this planet
pretty much anything we gain, we gain at a cost, and anything we lose, there are benefits to losing
we are constantly in need of one another, forcing us to learn cooperation, whether we like it or not, with the exception of the rich who seemingly go insane as a result of being wealthy

the test is to see what happens when only one of an inhabited planet's sapient species also possesses biology conducive to tool use. you can judge our progress in the simulation by humans' relationship with the elephants, cetaceans and cephalopods

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

We're a simulation of a higher dimensional supercomputer designed by their plane's version of Bethesda. Which is why our political intrigue is so poorly written.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

We're a simulation of a higher dimensional supercomputer designed by their plane's version of Bethesda. Which is why our political intrigue is so poorly written.

and why anyone you talk to seems to have the same things to say

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Hodgepodge posted:

and why anyone you talk to seems to have the same things to say

seriously, sometimes i get a vibe of unevenly allocated simulation resources for most people. finding a person that can carry on a conversation about non-superficial bullshit is becoming rarer and rarer. even most of these so-called "woke" kids are just regurgitating mystical trash without any thought. "whoa isn't it crazy how all these geometric patterns appear in nature, maaaan?" well no poo poo dumbass, that's where we loving found them in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Who's the PC

Because nothing's changing without the involvement of the pc of that's the case

• Locked thread