Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

To be honest, I don't think we did. I didn't follow it particularly closely but I'd rather have 14 set levels than infinite "maybe this one's fun" ones or having to do some tactical space stealth action before combat.

quote:

Dark Souls is not remembered for its "memorable encounters" outside of certain bosses or bullshit enemy placement (especially 3, gently caress the gold guys on the bridge). It's remembered for the world and writing. I remember Anor Londo because that place was cool, I don't remember Blighttown because of where they put a zombie.

Everyone remembers Blighttown because of the poison and the traps, the Anor Londo archers, the dragon in the parish. It's chock full of them!

quote:

Over the course of four years, a whole game was shelved, made, scrapped, and then made from the patchwork resulting from all of that a linear campaign was made.

This is true of all games in development, by and large. Homeworld is an excellent example; its cinematics are sketchy hand drawn and black and white, with minimal dialogue. They actually originally planned (and had) a vastly more fleshed out plot, with more characters, voice acting and traditional story arcs planned. They had to pare it down when they ran out of time at the end. They look sketchy and almost unfinished because they actually are (it just also happens to look very stylish). Homeworld 2 was originally an entirely different plot and game they couldn't quite make work and had to start over almost from the beginning at one point.

Halo was a RTS.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

It seems like QA wanted what Star Citizen keeps promising.

I guess that's why ultimately I don't care that we got what we want. Star Citizen doesn't sound interesting at all to me, even if it weren't a ripoff. I thought it was refreshing we just got a straight up space combat game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

The 14 set levels are all verging on "okay" and are extremely samey and are beatable in just under two hours on normal.

I beat the game in three, I think. So let's say another 3 one difficulty up. Then one again. That seems to be how it's expected to be played, it's a pretty arcadey set up, like Star Fox or Afterburner.

quote:

All this game has is great space combat.

That's all I really wanted. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Great, but you can do the same with TIE Fighter.

Cool, I never played it actually but I don't think it's a problem two of that kind of game exists now. The game's made by one guy over years, I think not having the output of Lucasarts is forgivable.

quote:

Same, so the game should've adopted the format that would've allowed that to shine better: Procedural mission generation like the original pitch.

I guess anymore I don't really want quantity, just quality. I'd rather have less and better instead of more and worse. For the most part I got that. It's like how I was really excited about Bloodborne's chalice dungeons and the idea of "infinite Dark Souls holy poo poo!!!". Then you actually play them and realize that sucks a whoooooole lot.

That said I wouldn't have said no to more weapons to try out.

e: I guess ultimately the other idea that didn't pan out don't inherently sound better to me, just different. I understand being disappointed in not getting it.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 13, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

wiegieman posted:

Consider that, in the original pitch, attacking a shipping lane and hitting civilian freighters could've been a tense and rewarding use of your time. How well did you kill the runners to give you extra time before help comes, how far do you push your luck taking out targets as local militia and the lane wardens ramp up their attempts to take you out, and can you make it out before the False King or another heavyweight arrives to kick your teeth in?

Isn't this a level right now minus that extra time mechanic?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

That's not the problem. The problem is a game that is now old enough to drink in America has more content than a brand new game, a game which has had plenty of time to build said content but because Kairo scrapped what he had worked on for two years after re-working what he had built for the two years before that and then came to Early Access half a year after gutting the core of the game, we got a product lacking in quantity.

By accounts what was gutted wasn't fun. He wasn't able to execute that in a satisfactory way so he ditched it. It's too bad but it happens.

quote:

That's a damned shame regardless of what you think.

Sure, I just don't think tossing in something that's lower quality or boring just for padding is a good idea. Did he ever say why he released with what he did instead of more missions in this structure?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 13, 2017

• Locked thread