Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Bloody Pom posted:

Freespace 2 is an excellent game, but it can be incredibly unfair at times. It definitely still subscribes to the same 90's trial-and-error playstyle of games like TIE Fighter.

I have to admit I never really found it challenging, mostly a lot of the trick was in ignoring the suggested fighters the game throws at you(Freespace 1 Herc is superior to most other fighters until the endgame, due to the massive main cannon batteries and heavy armor, that's the trick. That's the ONLY trick. Fly a brick with guns instead of those other fragile ships.). Really only the "secret" missions had a severe case of the "gently caress you if you haven't played this before"-syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I saw the first video and was instantly, "wow, I have to get this!" then I saw "4-hour playtime" and that killed that plan quick.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Aw, you don't get to pilot the Destroyers?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

When your allied capitals lose engines, is that due to locational damage or EMP weapons?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It's hard to get a sense of how useful the allied ships actually are.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

The first ending implies that the Dragon somehow brought about the rebellion that would cause it to target Rhal'tuum Prime for Scourging. How would it do that, if it sleeps until there is rebellion?

(Also the Longrifle description says it is useless up close. How does this manifest?)

My interpretation is that the Dragon doesn't care about the souls of those who rebel, only their blood. So the Physician sells the Emperor's clone bodies to the rebels, who possess them, blow up the Emperor's currently possessed body and, awaken the Dragon in doing so. The Dragon then goes: "Hmmmm, these rebels smell like people who live on Rhal'tuum Prime! I'm going to kill them, then incinerate their homeworld, yay!" The Dragon may feel relief at the ultimate outcome, but it has no agency in the matter, only programming(with bugs that can be exploited by the Emperor's enemies, as they did).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Same, so the game should've adopted the format that would've allowed that to shine better: Procedural mission generation like the original pitch. The missions themselves are all just "alright" with that last one in the video being the height of bloody tedium unless you're going after Traitor Flagships, and a certain other one coming up being a pain in the arse without the gap drive, again especially if you're going after Traitor Flagships.

Or gone with the original pitch's gameplay, but handcraft multiple systems(with some random elements) to execute them in. Say, throw in four systems that it takes five hours or so to "beat" a piece, if you're aiming to do it in anywhere near a "complete" fashion, liberating/incinerating every world and traitor, etc., and you've got a 20-hour game. In fact, I'd say that if the game was going to be that short from start to end, then it should've relied more on random generation to make multiple replays interesting. Or gone with some sort of roguelike system where getting blown up would've restarted you with a differently-structured campaign(and maybe a few carry-over unlocks).

Any of these sound better than what we actually got.

Of course, it's hard to tell how close they actually were to the original pitch. Could've been they eventually found they just weren't able to pull it off well and then used "uhhhhh, QA told us to change it!" as an excuse to swap to something they were more confident of actually being able to execute. Because the original pitch did sound pretty ambitious for a small group.

• Locked thread