Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Ah, House of the Dying Sun. Regardless of whether the roguelike elements being dropped turned out to be for the best or not, there is something about this game I will always, always point to and say to aspiring gamedevs "THAT'S how you do it!"

Sound and visual design. Notice how the audio's kinda muted when the gun's firing, and weapons fire isn't making a sound until it actually hits or gets really close? SPACE. The radio effect is also good. Visually, thought went into those ship designs, to the point where, when I was streaming this (Having bought it for my birthday), I was somewhat shocked to discover holy poo poo the fighters have thrusters placed where they would be if you were banking or rolling in space. Tiny retros. Hell yes.

Good physics. Good sound and visual design. And let us not forget the writing, which is at least okay for being the bad guy. Purge the workers.

I'll be watching the heck out of this. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

PurpleXVI posted:

My interpretation is that the Dragon doesn't care about the souls of those who rebel, only their blood. So the Physician sells the Emperor's clone bodies to the rebels, who possess them, blow up the Emperor's currently possessed body and, awaken the Dragon in doing so. The Dragon then goes: "Hmmmm, these rebels smell like people who live on Rhal'tuum Prime! I'm going to kill them, then incinerate their homeworld, yay!" The Dragon may feel relief at the ultimate outcome, but it has no agency in the matter, only programming(with bugs that can be exploited by the Emperor's enemies, as they did).

Does seem like something of the sort, aye. Although it went so well for Montrienn the Physician, as, either way, he would have been interpreted as an enemy. If he'd genuinely been a rebel, welp, he was the doctor, gently caress him. If he'd ensured everyone associated with the Emperor was suddenly considered a rebel, then welp, he was the doctor, gently caress him.

So he was either extremely brave, or not nearly as clever as he thought he was.

• Locked thread