Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Beloved Vancouver bird Canuck the Crow was struck on the head and knocked unconscious in an unprovoked attack at a children’s soccer tournament Saturday.

For those of you unfamiliar with Canuck - he is a crow who was abandoned as a baby, rescued by a family in East Vancouver, and then let go into the wild when he was healthy enough to care for himself. He has been coming back to the house where he was fledged and has bonded with one of the people who lives there, Shawn. He is a wild crow and goes about his daily crow life but is habituated to humans. This has made him somewhat of an internet celebrity as Shawn has been documenting his relationship with Canuck since after he fledged and returned to the wild.

There was a weird incident over a year ago where someone tried to capture Canuck, but was foiled by Shawn. Other than that it has mostly been a the two of them clowning around and stories and pictures form other people who encounter him around the Vancouver area. Canuck has apparently managed to live a normal crow life and has a mate who is named Cassiar, but not as habituated to human contact as Canuck.

This weekend, as detailed in the article linked above, Canuck was struck in the head with a flagpole and seriously hurt. He's been brought to the vet my wife and I take our bird to, Dr. McDonald. She is one of the best avian vets in North America.

From our experiences with her, Dr. McDonald is very frank. For her to be saying that Canuck is "not well" in a newspaper article is an understatement at best. I am concerned about his health right now, and mad that an act of human stupidity has hurt this curious and friendly bird. Crows are very intelligent and I am concerned about how this might alter the relationship he has with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

WHat the gently caress :mad:

Humans are the loving worst.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Shawn, Canuck's human posted today that Cassiar has been coming by his house every day looking for Canuck. :(

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Update from the Vancouver Sun today, stating that Dr. McDonald is helping Canuck for free, and that the SPCA has opened an investigation.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/canuck-the-crow-spca-seek-witnesses-after-crow-hurt-at-soccer-game

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
It really disgusts me that people could be so cruel as to hurt a bird. Apparently it was a concerned parent which is just another checkbox on the list of reasons I hate people who build their identities primarily around their kids

if you're so much of a helicopter parent that you feel the need to injure or murder a bird for getting too close to your little skylers or aidens, you should probably not be a parent at all

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 29, 2017

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

They should punch the punch the parent in the face.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Where did you hear that it was a parent?

Here's a great interview with Dr. McDonald, LAB you should read this throughout as she talks about the history of her hospital and the types of birds they see and treat.

http://www.vancourier.com/news/meet-the-vancouver-veterinarian-tending-to-canuck-the-crow-1.13118606

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

mikerock posted:

Where did you hear that it was a parent?

Here's a great interview with Dr. McDonald, LAB you should read this throughout as she talks about the history of her hospital and the types of birds they see and treat.

http://www.vancourier.com/news/meet-the-vancouver-veterinarian-tending-to-canuck-the-crow-1.13118606

I looked around for articles, I don't have the one at the moment but it was apparently "a volunteer" at the event, so I'm guessing it was a parent

they haven't caught the person yet, they are looking for people to rat them out tho, lol

edit: lol okay sorry I didn't mean to besmirch the reputation of soccer dads :rolleyes: :jerkbag:

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 29, 2017

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Everything I have heard is that it was a volunteer linesman who whacked Canuck and nothing else.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Mirthless just found an opportunity to talk about how much he hates parents.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I don't know anything about soccer and how volunteer organisations are organised but it's a bit of a leap you've made there without any facts. It could turn out to be that you're right and it is a parent but it's a bit soon to be going for the torches and pitch forks.

Also this passive aggressive comment and your strike-through edits are weird.

Mirthless posted:

edit: lol okay sorry I didn't mean to besmirch the reputation of soccer dads :rolleyes: :jerkbag:

To get back on topic Shawn is giving out orange zip ties at his work today to raise awareness for animal cruelty. He also posted an update:

quote:

Canuck is still healing but is doing well. He is bright and chipper and is still heading in the right direction. Both of his wings are up, which is a good sign. Canuck is eating and drinking as well. He is expected to be in care for close to another week.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

quote:

Canuck is still healing but is doing well. He is bright and chipper and is still heading in the right direction. Both of his wings are up, which is a good sign. Canuck is eating and drinking as well. He is expected to be in care for close to another week.

I am hugely relieved to hear this, thank you for the continued updates mikerock :)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I met Canuck once at Grandview Park in Vancouver and he smelled my toque and poked at it then flew away. That's my Canuck story thanks for listening.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I wish I'd met him. He showed up just after we moved out of the neighborhood. I used to live at Windermere and Charles which is super close.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I didn't want to post anything about donations until it got around to naming legit ones.

Here's the post made on the Canuck FB site about the issue:

quote:

A huge thank-you you goes out to Canuck and I's friend Karen Nixon for taking care of this:
Thank You everyone! After speaking with Matthew and Madi from the 2 Gofundme pages, Niki (Night Owl's manager) and Cadi Schiffer (lovely chat with a wonderful Wildlife Ambassador) who met with Dr. M today, we have sorted this all out.
As Cadi said, NIght Owl is legally and morally unable to solicit donations so a Paypal account will most likely not be created. They are able to accept them though and they do genuinely need them.
Donations can me made to the Gofundme accounts created by Madi Hartwig and Matthew Paugh and they will send those funds to Night Owl on your behalf. They can also be sent directly to Night Owl Bird Hospital by cheque, phoned in with a credit card number, sent by e-transfer (with an e-transfer just phone them with the password) or in person at the hospital. I will add the Night Owl page to this post, just scroll to the bottom and click on the email link.
Canuck's medical costs are significant to date. Keeping in mind medication and things like blood analysis (usually done by an outside lab) have to be paid for out of Dr. M's pocket.
If by chance more money is donated than needed to cover his extensive care, the money over and above will be used to care for other wildlife rescues. For example, Dr. M recently did surgery to save a Bald Eagle and an Owl, all out of her own pocket.
I personally can attest to the honesty and integrity of Dr. MacDonald as I have 3 rescue birds from Greyhaven Exotic Bird Sanctuary that are her patients. (Greyhaven rescued 600 birds from the World Parrot Refuge when it closed. Most of them with horrible injuries, infections, disabilities, terminal illness etc. They still require ongoing treatment and it is all paid for by donation)
Thank You everyone for allowing me to be a spokesperson for Canuck and Shawn and Thank You for being so incredibly compassionate!
Karen

I'll be dropping by Night Owl to make a donation in person on Monday but if anyone is interested here is one of the Go Fund Me pages that is legit:

https://www.gofundme.com/canuck-the-crows-vet-fees

Night Owl Bird Hospital site:
http://www.nightowlbirdhospital.ca/

[LAB if this is not OK then please delete]

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I don't have any objections. Almost four thousand dollars donated to this GoFundMe in four days -- wow. :) Get well quickly Canuck, a lot of people love you

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I like that so much is coming in, as the excess will help her treat other wild birds, which she always does pro-bono.

Dr. McDonald does A LOT of charity work. She recently helped out to the tune of around $500K when a parrot "rescue" on Vancouver Island closed and hundreds of birds came to the mainland (Vancouver) to be treated for various problems, from severe life threatening ailments, to everyday birb problems and then rehomed. They were largely successful but did everything on donations and volunteer time. Even with that she remembers Scout when we stop by or come in for checkups, and talks about her and how she's a good bird. She has a great amount of skill, competency, and compassion. I can't say enough good things about her and if you ask around you'll hear the same thing from everyone who has dealt with her.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Dr. McDonald is probably one of the single biggest thing I miss the most about Vancouver. She truly was (and clearly still is) amazing.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Shawn updated that Canuck got some flying time in over the weekend and will be out of vet care soon. Stopping by tomorrow to schedule an appointment for my parrot and to give a donation.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That's great news!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Canuck at Night Owl, almost ready for freedom!

(Not my photo)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

mikerock posted:

Canuck at Night Owl, almost ready for freedom!

(Not my photo)

I wanna meet that crow.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Canuck has been released and will be back stealing bloody knives from crime scenes in no time

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

A Good Bird.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Canuck has been released and will be back stealing bloody knives from crime scenes in no time

Lookat dis guy here, stealin' mah thunder!!!

Canuck's mate Cassiar showed up shortly after and they're hanging out like nothing happened. Canuck is getting his favourite fish head treats which helps!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
:unsmith:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

mikerock posted:

Canuck's mate Cassiar showed up shortly after and they're hanging out like nothing happened.

Two good birds. :3:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
There's a nice little epilogue to this story. Canuck is trying to build a nest for the first time! No word on whether he and his mate will have any babies, but he's obviously fit and happy.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I am glad that there seems to have been no damage to the relationship between Canuck and Shawn.

I haven't heard anything about charges from the initial incident.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Canada's death penalty is very hush hush.

Best not to talk about it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Eifert Posting posted:

Canada's death penalty is very hush hush.

Best not to talk about it.

Canada is literally the only place I've ever heard of that abolished the death penalty, and politely told the last two dudes on death row, "At least you'll be the last to hang in Canada!"

Those dudes are extremely hanged.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Finally, a story with a good ending. I love crows. :)

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Recent Canuck news - he's been attacking mail carriers and caused one to bleed, so Canada Post had to cut off mail service to Shawn's house and the surrounding homes, 12 people in total, until Canuck can be controlled or stopped.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3553909/canuck-the-crow-faces-threats-after-letter-carrier-attack-leads-to-mail-delivery-stoppage/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Canada Post resumed delivery back on the 27th so I'm assuming they figured it out.

• Locked thread