Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Marklar posted:

I didn't install any Typhon Neuromods for my entire playthrough. At some point, I'll do another one on a higher difficulty and use those heavily.

Do this for sure. Much like Dishonored made it sound like killing people was going to ruin your playthrough, Prey’s Typhon neuromod tutorial makes it sound like it’s going to just completely put you on a fast track to hell for even going near them, whereas the only practical side effect is after a few the security turrets register you as hostile.

Also consider Mooncrash if you want more Prey - it’s not as story first as the base game is, but it’s got some neat stuff mixed in and the gameplay loop is a lot of fun IMO. It’s on sale right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
It's also really interesting to do a Typhon-mods-only run. You have to be insanely careful in the early game since you're a noodly weakling with no skills, but once you get your hands on the Psychoscope and unlock Typhon neuromods, things start to get a little more even. You're still slow, fragile, and incapable of heavily upgrading or doing extra damage with weapons, though - and you can't repair or hack turrets! It's a very different experience especially in the cargo bay

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I want to do a run without any neuromods at all, but then I think about the nightmare and ugh

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Arc Light posted:

I want to do a run without any neuromods at all, but then I think about the nightmare and ugh

Yeah you pretty much just have to bolt to another area and wait out the timer in that case. It's still a really interesting experience though. Never printing neuromods - and recycling the ones you find - leaves you with an insane amount of spare materials, and encourages you to use shitloads of ammunition and consumables (especially turrets and grenades). Stealth remains important and worthwhile for the whole game, inventory management is SO important, and toe-to-toe combat will often simply kill you. As a result, you'll find yourself doing cunning poo poo like leaning around a corner to stun an enemy, planting a recycler mine at your feet, and backpedalling to a safe distance while you swap to the shotgun just in case the mine doesn't do the job.

I would never recommend it for a first playthrough, but a no-mods run is a fantastic way to experience Prey as a purely survival-horror game. poo poo gets tense, especially if you turn on the survival options like oxygen leaks and lasting injuries.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The final level of mimic is the best Typhon ability because it unlocks the ability to literally fly around the map, imo. Everyone should get it eventually just to play with it for a bit even if they already beat the game or whatever

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Arc Light posted:

I also avoided that on my first playthrough, but after a couple more runs where I played every single mod for good measure, I really only use a couple of Typhon neuromods regularly. The tree that allows you to regenerate up to 25 health every time you're injured is an absolute game changer, and ditto the mimic ability, but most of the others can be ignored if you're good at stealth and/or have fully upgraded guns.

Time basically stops while youre aiming some of the typhon powers so you can drop a psychoshock and the three big damage abilities in half a second and obliterate just about anything.

It makes combat focus look like a joke.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Dyz posted:

Time basically stops while youre aiming some of the typhon powers so you can drop a psychoshock and the three big damage abilities in half a second and obliterate just about anything.

It makes combat focus look like a joke.

You just unpleasantly reminded me that for some reason, during time-freezes like this, remapped controls revert back to the default. Arkane used to be good about not making absolutely basic gently caress-ups like this, but it never got patched.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Combat focus is good but I have to agree, once you have the psychic water quest done and your psi is infinite & free, nothing beats dropping psychoshock/superthermal/electroshock/kinetic blast on something in rapid succession. Even the big bads don't stand up to that. The order is important too, psychoshock both stuns and makes them more vulnerable to further damage.

I also think people sleep on Backlash. When you're fighting the most dangerous things on the station it is insanely good. Very low mana cost, the higher levels prevent multiple hits, and it gives the Typhon the same fear effect that you get when you hit a Weaver normally. I believe top level insulates you from three or four hits, and when the enemy spends most of the fight running away from you that means literally every hit gets blocked, so you can get through almost every single fight without a scratch. It doesn't work when you get ambushed of course, but most of the fights against bigger Typhon you have advanced warning.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

If you are like me, and enjoy manipulating systems quietly, then mindjack is a really fun typhon skill.
From the way it was described, I assumed it only worked on humans, but it works on the typhon just as well.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I just got this and beat it on the Steam sale. Great game, and yes - I liked the ending. I also chose to reject the alien and Stay Human, my only regret is that I couldn't figure out a way to free the mind-controlled humans, even though I was blowing up the station. Does killing the telepath nearby work?

One big hanging chad for me: A couple of logs mention a shuttle accidentally seeing a hidden military space station, but I never found anything more before I Perdition'd Talos. Where can I find more?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Red Crown posted:

my only regret is that I couldn't figure out a way to free the mind-controlled humans, even though I was blowing up the station. Does killing the telepath nearby work?

Yes. Using the stun gun to knock them out also works, and if you have the right neuromod, I believe you can counter-mind-control them as well

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You gotta be careful as the psychic blast from the dying telepath can pop the heads of mind controlled ppl if they’re close enough

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Red Crown posted:

\
One big hanging chad for me: A couple of logs mention a shuttle accidentally seeing a hidden military space station, but I never found anything more before I Perdition'd Talos. Where can I find more?

Play Mooncrash to find out!

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Red Crown posted:

I don't think there's much about it but there are a few mentions of the Argus Installation throughout the game. It's where Dahl came from with the cleaning crew. Might be where the post-credits scene happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Red Crown posted:

It’s largely just world setting - Talos isn’t the only manned offworld installation. Dahl was stationed at one such station, and Mooncrash sheds more light on the topic as well.