Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Marklar posted:

god drat do I want to go on a 12 hour bender with this one.

I recommend finding a way to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

On the other hand Prey is the kind of game that you can enjoy spending a lot of time outside of the game thinking about it over your playthrough.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

In any case I think a constructivist ontology / theory of mind (ie “a perfect physical representation of a person’s living brain is a meaningfully perfect clone of the person”) isn’t something the game actually endorses. January is distinct from the Morgan that created it, certainly distinct from the “Morgan” the player controls, and neither it nor October really see themselves as Morgans (January states this outright iirc), hence their full dependence on persuading the player-Morgan rather than pursuing their goals independently. They are designed with limited agency because their goal is to aid, not act.

At the same time there’s the implication that Morgan is advancing operator design at the time of the game (eg, Skillet the chefbot), and whether the station personality operators at the ending are more advanced than January is kind of an open question, though the idea that Alex has been alone in the world aside from imperfect chatbot versions of his colleagues would be suitably bleak Twilight Zone vibes.

Ofc if the sentient gun had made it into the game that would have sealed things anyway — the proposed arc would seem to imply that true artificial consciousness comes with extreme existential despair, which none of the other AIs would seem to exhibit. Ergo, they are not true AI.

It's offensive to all of the other organisms that make up a person to be so ignored in these so called "perfect" clones.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I also have been playing recently after picking it up months ago on sale

is good

some early game thought stuff-

so Morgan's been stuck in a 50 first dates scenario, but also they are testing the psychic powers. Except Morgan won't know they have powers... so when they do "whatever feels most natural" or whatever and turn into a chair, wouldn't they freak out? or am I overthinking.

also there's still a bunch of locked doors in the neuromod division- are those something I can open up/get around now if I'm thorough, or is that plot related?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Neuromods emulate the entire process of learning a skill. Once you're modded, using your new ability is second nature, as though you've been doing it all your life. So yeah, Morgan's supposed to just instinctively use Typhon powers during the test. They might freak a little if they think about it after the fact, but in the moment it presumably feels perfectly natural.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

Neuromods emulate the entire process of learning a skill. Once you're modded, using your new ability is second nature, as though you've been doing it all your life. So yeah, Morgan's supposed to just instinctively use Typhon powers during the test. They might freak a little if they think about it after the fact, but in the moment it presumably feels perfectly natural.

just kind of seems like the whole 'first day' dog-and-pony show seems a bit pointless if it gets derailed immediately by design but I dunno

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I only got into Prey within the last month, so I'm glad I'm not the only person who slept on it when I first bought the game.

I had a great time playing without any spoilers at all, so I don't want to deny you that experience. That said, I think it's safe to answer a couple of your questions:

Mazerunner posted:

also there's still a bunch of locked doors in the neuromod division- are those something I can open up/get around now if I'm thorough, or is that plot related?

There are multiple ways to get into most places. Your neuromods can help with that, but aren't generally necessary. You may need to get creative with stacking furniture and/or using stuff in your inventory. Think in three dimensions.

Mazerunner posted:

just kind of seems like the whole 'first day' dog-and-pony show seems a bit pointless if it gets derailed immediately by design but I dunno

The aptitude test may have been derailed, but rest assured, your memories, or lack thereof, are pretty important to you and the game takes it seriously

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mazerunner posted:

How far have you actually gotten?

You have access to an awful lot an awful lot sooner than you might expect, and it's worth poking around, but I think its generally worth following the story until you get the item it wants you to get from Psychotronics. From that point on you should have basically every tool at your disposal that you need to get everywhere (with some places taking a minimal skill investment) and can go back and scour everywhere from top to bottom pretty confident that any barrier can be overcome with some smart thinking and good observation.

The plot itself will eventually make access to some of these areas more straightforward, but for many of them (especially the ones in neuromod division, if I'm remembering right) I'm not sure that happens.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 28, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

Just coincidentally, Morgan happened to use some neuromods right before that point and it's unclear if they know exactly what was in them.

Edit: Also, it was explicitly stated that they inform Morgan of what is happening immediately after the tests. They only do the dog-and-pony show for the sake of the test sequence.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

KillHour posted:

Just coincidentally, Morgan happened to use some neuromods right before that point and it's unclear if they know exactly what was in them.

Edit: Also, it was explicitly stated that they inform Morgan of what is happening immediately after the tests. They only do the dog-and-pony show for the sake of the test sequence.

Ok, that makes sense actually. Getting the most pure "what comes naturally" reaction, completely untainted by any knowledge that Morgan even would have powers. Actually I think I remember an email along those lines. Although I feel like getting the second and third tests done would be more difficult.

GlyphGryph posted:

How far have you actually gotten?

The plot itself will eventually make access to some of these areas more straightforward, but for many of them (especially the ones in neuromod division, if I'm remembering right) I'm not sure that happens.

Fair bit further, now exploring crew quarters. I'd gone back to Neuromods and got into some new areas and thought I'd done a good job, but there was still a lot left. I'll take another look.

e; aha, found an angle through a window

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 28, 2023

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think there's only one door in Neuromods that you won't be able to eventually open without doing a very specific deliberate thing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mr E posted:

I think there's only one door in Neuromods that you won't be able to eventually open without doing a very specific deliberate thing.

Genuinely curious as to what door you mean.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm so glad to have caught this game last year after missing it's release. Contender for my favorite game of the 2010's ( single playthrough games, not more open ended high replay games ).

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

I think the room with the piano that you can see at the start

Except then I looked it up and found this video lol

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

There's a couple other ways to get in there pretty early too, so I doubt its that room - although that way doesn't take any skills which is nice. (It isn't how I got in, though)

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
If I recall there’s only one or two rooms in the entire station that mandate a specific ability to get into and there’s nothing unique or particularly valuable there anyway.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GlyphGryph posted:

Fabrication and the Volunteer Quarters don't actually load unless you're entering Neuromods from the lobby. Once you've done that I think that you can get anywhere inside without needing any skill checks.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm thinking about the door where it only opens after you kill literally every other single person in the game to get the code to kill the last 3-4 in that room. But, that's actually in IT security and I misremembered the location. I think that's the only door that requires something like that, the rest open with codes and such you find normally in the game or through a vent or whatever. There's probably a way to glitch into that room too tbh.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

turn off the TV posted:

Fabrication and the Volunteer Quarters don't actually load unless you're entering Neuromods from the lobby. Once you've done that I think that you can get anywhere inside without needing any skill checks.

I thought all you needed was hacking level 1 to get into the security booth and find the code to the Volunteer area? And from there you can get to the rest of the upper areas.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mike the TV posted:

I thought all you needed was hacking level 1 to get into the security booth and find the code to the Volunteer area? And from there you can get to the rest of the upper areas.

You don't need to use the code to get in there, there's a vent you can access that should let you in through the ceiling.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mr E posted:

I'm thinking about the door where it only opens after you kill literally every other single person in the game to get the code to kill the last 3-4 in that room. But, that's actually in IT security and I misremembered the location. I think that's the only door that requires something like that, the rest open with codes and such you find normally in the game or through a vent or whatever. There's probably a way to glitch into that room too tbh.

That door bugged the hell out of me until I looked it up.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Aren't a bunch of crew tags pointing there, or does that only happen if you're on a specific quest?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

orcane posted:

Aren't a bunch of crew tags pointing there, or does that only happen if you're on a specific quest?

Even if you're not on ... that specific quest, locating all the crew members is a completionist temptation. I know I was trying to do so even though I wasn't... following that quest.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Teledahn posted:

Even if you're not on ... that specific quest, locating all the crew members is a completionist temptation. I know I was trying to do so even though I wasn't... following that quest.

Yeah I did it for the achievement, and I think you are allowed to miss 5 crew or so, so you can get it without opening that one door.

I did the same in Mooncrash even though there is no achievement and it made me love the game so much more because all of the tags are found in places that will help you in future runs - in vents or obscure paths, or next to goodies that you wouldn't have found otherwise. It's a cool feature, and definitely added to the game.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Found this out from a fellow goon and passing it on here. If you're on the fence about getting Prey, or if you just want to pass it along to a friend, it's currently free on GOG if you have an Amazon Prime account. https://gaming.amazon.com/home Claim it in the next 24 days and it's yours to keep.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Happiness is: oneshotting a Poltergeist by throwing a refrigerator at it from a distance.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

Happiness is: oneshotting a Poltergeist by throwing a refrigerator at it from a distance.

The extasy of cold

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Fighting for your life while listening to this was the highlight for at least one play-thru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFDF_JJxLkU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Mr E posted:

WTF??? Are you serious? I looked up how to get in there, and every result tells me it's completely inaccessible This is the room in the lobby, that's just off the blue-lit room full of servers which has 2 phantoms in it?

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
It's probably been posted but still --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yYkvPIw65s

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
System Shock 2023>Prey

Goddamn is it good.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Pookah posted:

WTF??? Are you serious? I looked up how to get in there, and every result tells me it's completely inaccessible This is the room in the lobby, that's just off the blue-lit room full of servers which has 2 phantoms in it?

I remember that room! I thought it was completely inaccessible too.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

tango alpha delta posted:

System Shock 2023>Prey

Goddamn is it good.

I would still say that Prey is better since it's based on two decades of enhancements to the genre design, but as someone who Kickstarted SS2023 and had basically written off that money I've been extremely pleased with it. Hoping Nightdive takes a crack at a remaster of the second game.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Tortolia posted:

I would still say that Prey is better since it's based on two decades of enhancements to the genre design, but as someone who Kickstarted SS2023 and had basically written off that money I've been extremely pleased with it. Hoping Nightdive takes a crack at a remaster of the second game.

There's a remaster of SS2 on the way, but it's just that. Not the full remake that (the excellent) SS2023 is.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's what I'd like to see happen .

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Tortolia posted:

Agreed. I never played the original System Shock, or SS2. I just started SS2023 because of how much I enjoyed Prey.

Since I don't have any nostalgia for the original System Shock, I don't think I'll ever consider the remake on the level with a modern immersive sim - the enemy AI feels nonexistent, the user interface is cumbersome, the environments feel like video game levels rather than like a facility where people actually lived and worked, etc etc, most of which are reflections of 1990s design ethos. But with that said, it's fun, and it's so easy to see the design evolution from SS to Prey, and how Prey improved on so many of the good ideas from SS right up to and including the Recycler.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Arc Light posted:

Agreed. I never played the original System Shock, or SS2. I just started SS2023 because of how much I enjoyed Prey.

Since I don't have any nostalgia for the original System Shock, I don't think I'll ever consider the remake on the level with a modern immersive sim - the enemy AI feels nonexistent, the user interface is cumbersome, the environments feel like video game levels rather than like a facility where people actually lived and worked, etc etc, most of which are reflections of 1990s design ethos. But with that said, it's fun, and it's so easy to see the design evolution from SS to Prey, and how Prey improved on so many of the good ideas from SS right up to and including the Recycler.

The recycler is actually one of the few things that's new to the remake; SS1 had lots of random garbage lying around but it was solely there to enhance the vibes (and show off the physics engine). The original also didn't have vending machines or weapon upgrades.

SS2 added vending machines, and in that the recycler is a portable item you get fairly late in the game that lets you turn junk into nanites (the game's currency, which is also used for hack/repair/modify actions and respawning). Prey then took it to the next level with the recycler grenade.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Tortolia posted:

If would be absolutely amazing to see an updated System Shock 2, since it’s one of the best games ever made, well, until you get to The Body of The Many because gently caress that poo poo.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

tango alpha delta posted:

If would be absolutely amazing to see an updated System Shock 2, since it’s one of the best games ever made, well, until you get to The Body of The Many because gently caress that poo poo.

We can hope for a Black Mesa style remake where it's mostly a lot of polish on top of the same system, and then the final area is completely reimagined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mike the TV posted:

We can hope for a Black Mesa style remake where it's mostly a lot of polish on top of the same system, and then the final area is completely reimagined.

Black Mesa made Xen better overall but also made it 5x longer when it was already longer than it needed to be, so I honestly don't think that's a good model to emulate.