Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bust Rodd posted:

One thing I am very curious about is enemy models.

Every humanoid you encounter will just be a male/female head on a jumpsuit or labcoat, but is every alien gonna be just squiggly black lines? I'm hoping for some cool boss fights and set piece battles but enemy variety could be a stumbling block.

Yeah I realize it fits the game's story, but I hope that there are more enemies than a handful of "squiggly black lines" variations. This is actually one of the problems I had with Bioshock: There are basically several different flavors of Splicer and Big Daddy, and once I got used to them, a lot of the tension evaporated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

If you're an alien clone though, why don't the turrets shoot you?

Valatar posted:

Sadly the ending on pretty much all the Shock games are rubbish

Nah!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Played the demo...definitely feels like it's more suited on a PC rather than a console, especially considering this game doesn't have a lick of auto-aim, which can be a bit of a problem considering those little mimics like to swarm you, hit like a ton of bricks, and love to dodge in every direction.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I realize it fits the game's story, but I hope that there are more enemies than a handful of "squiggly black lines" variations. This is actually one of the problems I had with Bioshock: There are basically several different flavors of Splicer and Big Daddy, and once I got used to them, a lot of the tension evaporated.

i am sure there will be other enemies at some point in the game. I am sure the company will realize how hosed the situation is and send in a clean up team/army and you will have to deal with them.

Valatar posted:

My money's on this too. Like the ending rolls and 'Morgan' takes off that big d20 space helmet and holy gently caress you've been a typhon the whole time, injected with human memories. WHAT A TWIST. Sadly the ending on pretty much all the Shock games are rubbish, so I'm willing to deal with a disappointment on that front as long as the game up to that point is good.

i am not sure what the twist will be. i think it might be something along those lines but i am uncertain.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

The twist isn't that you woke up on a space station with your memory temporarily erased at your request but your boss is an rear end in a top hat and decided to make it permanent? Then he hosed up and got a bunch of people killed? Because there's seriously a game's worth of twists in the demo and I don't know if I can take any more.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sammus posted:

The twist isn't that you woke up on a space station with your memory temporarily erased at your request but your boss is an rear end in a top hat and decided to make it permanent? Then he hosed up and got a bunch of people killed? Because there's seriously a game's worth of twists in the demo and I don't know if I can take any more.

and he is also your brother.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Dapper_Swindler posted:

and he is also your brother.

and your parents are board members of this company and I'd be surprised if they don't show up

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Maybe they'll show up as phantoms :gibs:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the escape from the apartment was so well designed.

so you go out into the hallway and wtf poo poo looks different and there's a hosed up corpse. ooh, a wrench. pick up the wrench and start hitting poo poo with it, because that's what you do with a wrench when you're in a video game. look around and notice that there's an aquarium. let's smash the aquarium and see what happens! *smash* it's not really an aquarium, it is a cunning simulation.:raise: return to the room and what do I see before me but a giant window. wonder if I can smash that?

*smash*

whoah...

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I just thought 'oh, they shared tech from the Dishonored 2 team' because that is some Crack In The Slab tech.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

and your parents are board members of this company and I'd be surprised if they don't show up

also your brother looks like he probably posts on this forum.

anyway the game has made me excited for this friday. so now i can have 2 cool sci fi experiences this week. plus last week of classes.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
What is your other cool sci-fi experience.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bogart posted:

What is your other cool sci-fi experience.

hopefully new guardians. i have heard its pretty good. not as good a 1 but still good.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bogart posted:

I just thought 'oh, they shared tech from the Dishonored 2 team' because that is some Crack In The Slab tech.

Crack in the Slab is such a good level. It's so good that it's a little depressing because I know it'll likely be years before another game matches that level of mind boggling craft. But still, it's outstanding that The Clockwork Mansion is only the second-best level in that game.

Man, I loved Dishonored 2. If Arkane can design play spaces even half as good for Prey it'll be an amazing game.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Skippy McPants posted:

Man, I loved Dishonored 2.

I really love DH2 as well, and am stoked at the thought of DLC. I've replayed it a ton and still keep seeing people in the Dishonored thread talk about new power combinations.

I also really like the first Bioshock and DXHR. My favourite game of all time is the original DX.

My dream game would be Arkane building the physical bits of a Fallout game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I really love DH2 as well, and am stoked at the thought of DLC. I've replayed it a ton and still keep seeing people in the Dishonored thread talk about new power combinations.

I also really like the first Bioshock and DXHR. My favourite game of all time is the original DX.

My dream game would be Arkane building the physical bits of a Fallout game.

Harvey Smith and Todd Howard working together, they could learn so much from each other. Todd would learn about good narratives and powersets, Harvey would learn about how everything just works and also there should be 5000 endings.

Whatever comes next for Fallout I hope they learned from Witcher 3's structure and also finally build a different engine that isn't ugly or sputters like a used car. I say that as a person who enjoyed Fallout 4 but was disappointed they didn't reach for more.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Arkane / Obsidian on ID6 :getin:

I had a lot of fun in FO4. The borked interface in the builder got me, though. I play with old Quake controls, Right mouse for forwards and it just won't accept that, so I strafed around like a crab. It was janky but I really liked the world.

E- moments of greatness like The Silver Shroud.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 1, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The biggest thing Bethesda could learn from Arkane is how to make good level design that isn't some variation on "a bunch of dudes in an empty corridor" or "a bunch of dudes in an open field".

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Yea. The sleek PC friendly interface thing too and that, it'd be really good.
I guess the turret mechanic from Prey reminded me of FO.

5 days to full Prey, I'm taking next weekend off just for that. Stoked!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 1, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I hope they release a PC demo afterwards at least.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordja posted:

I hope they release a PC demo afterwards at least.

I would bet that a pc demo will come out at some point. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it takes several months until they decide to release it.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Jack Trades posted:

I would bet that a pc demo will come out at some point. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it takes several months until they decide to release it.

Well, four more days until then, I guess.

I'm kind of on the fence about this game. It looks amazing. It hits most of the right beats both Bioshock 1 and 2 did. But I fear that a no-Typhon powers run will become the end-all challenge mode that may suck the challenge out of later playthroughs. Dishonored kinda did the same for me.

I am the dummy making the game rather hard on myself but patting myself on the shoulder for completing it in this fashion. And then burn out on it.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Gunplay was a little too wonky for me. Ended up wasting far more ammo than i should have. Think i'm gonna hold off on this one.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm still not sure if I want to get this one or not. On one hand there haven't been an Arkane game that wasn't amazing but on the other hand I'm a massive pussy and this whole "we'll punish you with jumpscares for your OCD" mechanic will probably give me a heart attack eventually.

GET MY BELT SON posted:

Gunplay was a little too wonky for me. Ended up wasting far more ammo than i should have. Think i'm gonna hold off on this one.

I heard that the console version doesn't have autoaim. I imagine that the issue.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

GET MY BELT SON posted:

On PS4?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I only got 20 minutes in to the PS4 demo before low-FOV nausea put a stop to that. What little I did play seemed like classic Arkane. Hopefully the PC version doesn't suck.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

xbox. i think it might have something to do with what anti-hero said in that the field of view is ridiculous. the little guys would be right up on you but you'd have to spin around and look up and down just to find them. outside of that i really enjoyed the demo.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I can't believe that this game replicates the godawful thumping EBM that KICKED IN WITH THE DROP every time you fought an enemy in System Shock 2. I remember when I first heard it and laughing out loud because it completely ruined the game's (up until then) subtle horror atmosphere. Thank god you can turn it off.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

the black husserl posted:

I can't believe that this game replicates the godawful thumping EBM that KICKED IN WITH THE DROP every time you fought an enemy in System Shock 2. I remember when I first heard it and laughing out loud because it completely ruined the game's (up until then) subtle horror atmosphere. Thank god you can turn it off.

Yeah, the first thing I do on a playthrough of Shock 2 is turn off the music. It makes the game immediately and vastly better. Walking down a hallway in dead silence but for the hum of the ship and chirping consoles is very very creepy. Walking down the same hallway with BOW CHICKA WOW CHICKA WOW CHICKA WOW blazing out of your speakers ruins everything.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I don't have a computer that can run Prey, but I do have a PS4. How good does DXHR and Dishonored 2 run and control on it?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

I don't have a computer that can run Prey, but I do have a PS4. How good does DXHR and Dishonored 2 run and control on it?

Pretty good, and I played the demo for Prey on PS4 and it was really good to me, too.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

System Shock 2's MedSci track is amazing and I won't hear otherwise.

It may not fit the level at all but it is amazing. :colbert:

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
The tracks are great, they just suck for a survival horror game. The sad jazzy 40s pop and violins of Bioshock fit pretty perfectly; techno's just too upbeat for the mood.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hmm, now that'd be an interesting project for the game, modding in a new soundtrack.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
I am baffled by the fact that this is developed for consoles but everything about it screams play me with a mouse. Never have a felt so turned off by having to use an analogue controller. I finally realized why a non-gamer might get so frustrated at having to play a first person game.

That being said if PC turns out to not be a buggy trainwreck I am so onboard. Can someone mod in multiplayer now please? Two Yu's Twice the Yun?!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SoggyGravy posted:

I am baffled by the fact that this is developed for consoles but everything about it screams play me with a mouse. Never have a felt so turned off by having to use an analogue controller.

It's.. it's almost impossible for me to like Arkane more then I do, right now.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It's.. it's almost impossible for me to like Arkane more then I do, right now.

I feel like I am missing the connection between you quoting me and your comment, I don't think you're being sarcastic but I'm not sure why you feel how you feel either, mind elaborating?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

SoggyGravy posted:

I feel like I am missing the connection between you quoting me and your comment, I don't think you're being sarcastic but I'm not sure why you feel how you feel either, mind elaborating?

Something something PC Master Race something something

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SoggyGravy posted:

You said what a lot of PC players say when a game launches, and it's joypad optimised.

The thought of a game being optimised for kbm is cathartic. But it was a lame joke.

It should be improved on launch hopefully, if you're having problems on PS4.

I hope we can all change the FOV.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
whenever i see PC master race i realize that gabe newell was right and video games were a mistake