Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Bogart posted:

whenever i see PC master race i realize that gabe newell was right and video games were a mistake

The PC master race Redditor meme is totally a mistake. Particularly with bad console ports.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

I don't have a computer that can run Prey, but I do have a PS4. How good does DXHR and Dishonored 2 run and control on it?

I never had problems with Dishonored 2 in 2 whole playthroughs except for that one scene in the beginning where you're in a boat and the framerate is like 10fps, but after that 30-second segment it's all fairly decent 30FPS.

DXHR, on non-Pro PS4 at least, was so jittery in the open world hub it was gross. Game just felt like poo poo on consoles but that's me.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

You said what a lot of PC players say when a game launches, and it's joypad optimised.

The thought of a game being optimised for kbm is cathartic. But it was a lame joke.

It should be improved on launch hopefully, if you're having problems on PS4.

I hope we can all change the FOV.

Thanks for explaining, I guess I assumed it was optimized for console and was surprised. Either way my fear is mirrored by people here in one form another, bad optimization for console or buggy PC version tarnishing what could be the best system shock 2 incarnation since system shock 2. Also, Friday release date? WTF, wierd but I like it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Sorry for being lame. I know, I'm booking Friday off :dance:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

MinibarMatchman posted:

I never had problems with Dishonored 2 in 2 whole playthroughs except for that one scene in the beginning where you're in a boat and the framerate is like 10fps, but after that 30-second segment it's all fairly decent 30FPS.

DXHR, on non-Pro PS4 at least, was so jittery in the open world hub it was gross. Game just felt like poo poo on consoles but that's me.

Man, DXHR in general (including the Director's Cut) had some weird performance issues, even on PC, that generally required editing entries in the registry and/or playing with a browser window open in the background to remedy.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Is there any word on when the Steam pre-load starts?

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
My roommate reported seeing Xbone copies of Prey on the shelf at our local Target. While this sadly does me no good, console goons may be pleased to know that the street date's apparently being broken in places.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

the black husserl posted:

I can't believe that this game replicates the godawful thumping EBM that KICKED IN WITH THE DROP every time you fought an enemy in System Shock 2. I remember when I first heard it and laughing out loud because it completely ruined the game's (up until then) subtle horror atmosphere. Thank god you can turn it off.

You can do that?! Oh thank god! I thought it was ridiculous that they have some wonderful tension then gently caress it all up with *LOUD MUSIC STING* *WUBWUBWUBWUB*

I did not complete the demo, for now anyway. The early combat is definitely more suited to a PC, assuming that it is a decent port, and I liked what I have played enough to get it, though I may be waiting till reviews come out first.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I hope you day 1 pc buyers bring in the good news. I want this game to be good but I'm not exactly convinced just yet.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Unlucky7 posted:

You can do that?! Oh thank god! I thought it was ridiculous that they have some wonderful tension then gently caress it all up with *LOUD MUSIC STING* *WUBWUBWUBWUB*

I did not complete the demo, for now anyway. The early combat is definitely more suited to a PC, assuming that it is a decent port, and I liked what I have played enough to get it, though I may be waiting till reviews come out first.

the music is especially not cool considering the fact that you face enemies that can attack you and then retreat and turn into coffee mugs and you're left wondering for several minutes which coffee mug they are while the extremely intense music pounds your brain. I turned it off when some dumb mimic tucked itself into a corner and subjected me to a musical nightmare as I rifled through the file cabinets.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I didn't turn the music off, but I did turn it down. It doesn't matter if the mimics retreat or not, sometimes even if you immediately splatter the mimic you're subjected to FIGHT MUSIC until you leave the area or trigger some kind of transition. Hopefully that gets toned down in the release.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oh, apparently the option is just to turn the music off. Honestly that is not preferable, but whatever.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/3574291/preys-raph-colantonio-says-steams-2-hour-refund-policy-stands-in-place-of-demo

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Well, they're not wrong.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

why can't they just come out and say "it's zenimax's denuvo policy sorry guys" like with every other game the publisher releases

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

why can't they just come out and say "it's zenimax's denuvo policy sorry guys" like with every other game the publisher releases

Maybe that's part of the Denuvo contract or something? I wouldn't be surprised.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Incidentally, separate regional release times seem to be a thing with Prey.
So from what I can tell, New Zealand will get their Steam copies unlocked in about 24 hours. So impatient people could VPN it in theory.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Jack Trades posted:

Incidentally, separate regional release times seem to be a thing with Prey.
So from what I can tell, New Zealand will get their Steam copies unlocked in about 24 hours. So impatient people could VPN it in theory.

Time to find out if the VPN in the latest Humble Bundle supports New Zealand!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

devs streaming the PC version today and the next few days

https://www.twitch.tv/bethesda

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Are they playing with a gamepad on PC?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I have the exact videocard listed in the recommended specs. Hopefully this game doesn't run like poo poo.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Played the demo of this on PS4 and while the story may be intriguing, I wasn't happy with the controls. I have doubts after so many stop starts it will be worth full price, so I will wait for a sale. They said they were fixing input lag on a day one patch, but they probably should have fixed that before the demo launched because I know of plenty of people who feel the same way now after playing it, and it was very lackluster.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

There's website where you can apparently get the game on steam for like half price. I don't know if it's okay to post or not.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If it's G2A then steer clear.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you buy the game at launch for half price please double the amount of copies you purchase from 28 to 56 thank you

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wait no that only works if arkane gets a cut which they wouldn't from shady key dealers abort abort

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Has anyone explained why this game is called prey 2 and not space invader magic shooter game 38295?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Has anyone explained why this game is called prey 2 and not space invader magic shooter game 38295?

It's called Prey and yes, the devs said that they called it that because it sounded good and for no other reason.

Kraftwerk posted:

There's website where you can apparently get the game on steam for like half price. I don't know if it's okay to post or not.

DON'T TOUCH G2A, EVER, EVER.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ditty bout my clitty posted:

They bought the name Prey, gotta use it man!!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Digirat posted:

If it's G2A then steer clear.

It's called cdkeys.com. Apparently legit. And sorry I'm bad at math. It's more like 38% off.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

No key resellers are legit, there are just some not known enough for devs to bother writing about. You can buy from them at your own risk but please don't post about them or link them, thanks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Palpek posted:

No key resellers are legit

I'm pretty sure that Greenman Gaming is legit. No?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ok yeah, that was too broad. Some sites are actually authorized by publishers and GMG is one of them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also GMG is only fully legit nowadays because CD Projekt RED publicly called them out for reselling grey market keys.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Zenimax Elder Scrolls Online, made the game?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

they own the studio that did

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

No, Arkane Studios. Unlike Zenimax/Bethesda, they make good games.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm most likely going to just wait for a sale. The first prey was a master piece(in my opinion), I can wait to hear reviews. The commercials look like hot garbage.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 3, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Tenzarin posted:

I'm most likely going to just wait for a sale. The first prey was a master piece, I can wait to hear reviews. The commercials look like hot garbage.

:jebstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

The first prey was a master piece

Just so you know, this Prey has literally nothing to do with the original. Different devs, different gameplay, different story.