Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

all I remember about Prey is that it tried to do a new gameplay mechanic with portals and then Portal literally came out the following year and poo poo all over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jack Trades posted:

Just so you know, this Prey has literally nothing to do with the original. Different devs, different gameplay, different story.

:thejoke:

MinibarMatchman posted:

all I remember about Prey is that it tried to do a new gameplay mechanic with portals and then Portal literally came out the following year and poo poo all over it

Was alot more fun than portal 1, the puzzle simulator. Also portals wasn't really the main gimmick of prey 1, it was more of something that was there or you could do. Make fun of the American Indian spirit mode while your at it.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 3, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Tenzarin posted:

Was alot more fun than portal 1, the puzzle simulator. Also portals wasn't really the main gimmick of prey 1, it was more of something that was there or you could do. Make fun of the American Indian spirit mode while your at it.

Are you okay, my guy?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

that sucked too

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Tenzarin posted:

I genuinely enjoyed Prey 2006, but goddamn dude, it wasn't a good game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sdoots posted:

I genuinely enjoyed Prey 2006, but goddamn dude, it wasn't a good game.

Oops sorry, let me fix that.

In my opinion, I thought it was a good game. YMMV

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I think Prey 2006 was a good game. I remember its gravity gimmick being way cooler and more prominent than portals but people remember the latter because of Portal. It's a game that doesn't need a sequel though and hasn't left a legacy that can be ruined or whatever so a reboot is more than welcome. I'll take another attempt at reimagining System Shock no matter how it's called.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Start warming up your VPNs.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Playing through system shock 2 right now.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
So how does it play compared to how the trailers make it look? The latest trailer was honestly really poor in showing off the game.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also GMG is only fully legit nowadays because CD Projekt RED publicly called them out for reselling grey market keys.

GMG has always been a legit retailer, but that whole spat got kickstarted by CD refusing to sell retail keys to GMG (for reasons unknown) for the launch of The Witcher 3, so they went behind CD's back and purchased their keys on the cheap from retailers in different region and offered a huge discount on release day in retaliation. Then they went back and forth accusing each other of foul play. The whole thing is pretty childish. :v:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 3, 2017

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

The trailer was garbage. It made you think it's all a crazy action packed shooter when I found it to be more of an exploration game.

Donno

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That would be consistent for bethesda since an unrelated GPU company did a better job of selling doom than they did

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, Bethesda's marketing division is legendarily inept at selling games they publish or even recognizing what those games actually are.

A series known for crazy fast action? Let's take it slow and show you this hell level really carefully and now it's time to focus on non-interactive finisher moves.

A game focused on exploration and giving you a variety of tools for emergant gameplay? Let's show none of that and instead shoot some headcrabs, pew pew pew.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The actual reason not to buy this game full price is that Bethesda has an official policy of not sending review copies out any more. Sucks that good developers are attached to an aggressively lovely publisher but welp.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Palpek posted:

Yeah, Bethesda's marketing division is legendarily inept at selling games they publish or even recognizing what those games actually are.

A series known for crazy fast action? Let's take it slow and show you this hell level really carefully and now it's time to focus on non-interactive finisher moves.

A game focused on exploration and giving you a variety of tools for emergant gameplay? Let's show none of that and instead shoot some headcrabs, pew pew pew.

Gooood, if that ain't the truth.

DOOM looked so poo poo in the promo materials while in actuality it was the best shooter in...forever.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Huuuuh...

The game is a tad smaller than I thought it would be.

I know that pre-loads are compressed but still. Dishonored was like twice that size.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Digirat posted:

That would be consistent for bethesda since an unrelated GPU company did a better job of selling doom than they did

Haha, I remember that. It was literally the first time anyone saw the game and thought, "hey, maybe this could be all right?" God, what a fiasco.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

For the reference:

The Good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwAVoaZcN6Y

The Bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiinO9JPUGw

The Ugly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYp8ZeQ-I8

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I decided to finally play the new doom while waiting for this game, I forgot how bad the pre release media was. It is a Good Game though.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Snagged this game for fifty Canadian dollary-doos. The PS4 demo was really neat, but I hate playing games like this on a controller.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

"Comments are disabled for this video."

I give up trying to embed a gifv.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 4, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

1stGear posted:

The actual reason not to buy this game full price is that Bethesda has an official policy of not sending review copies out any more. Sucks that good developers are attached to an aggressively lovely publisher but welp.

Wasn't that policy enacted right before Dishonored 2 came out? Seemed like a cynical way of stopping anyone from seeing the major issues with the PC release.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm pretty sure all the poo poo they ate from that godawful DooM video was a major factor in Polygon basically turning into a memey Youtube personality channel.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

fadam posted:

I'm pretty sure all the poo poo they ate from that godawful DooM video was a major factor in Polygon basically turning into a memey Youtube personality channel.

Hey everything Mcellroy related in as much as its affiliated with Polygon is gold bricks of hilarity as far as my brain can tell!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

fadam posted:

Not to turn it into a discussion, it seems to me that the sort of completely objective review site is on its way out, and that most people would rather consume individual opinions based on personality. Like, I know Alex Navarro on Giant Bomb is generally into the same games I am, so I'm more interested to hear his take on the Beastcast than read a bunch of reviews.

and new Polygon is very good. The Please Retweet series if an exercise into the agony and ecstasy involved in getting Nintendo to retweet a very good picture of Toad.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

1stGear posted:

Or you could play the free demo and realize it's garbage and has nothing to do with Bethesda.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mordja posted:

Haha, I remember that. It was literally the first time anyone saw the game and thought, "hey, maybe this could be all right?" God, what a fiasco.

Yeah I had basically zero interest in DOOM up until about 3 days before it was released--and I was raised on the originals, still play them frequently, and regularly wear Doom t-shirts like some kind of neckbeard. It was only after seeing the Nvidia video that I realized the game might not actually be a bag of dicks. No idea how a marketing department could be so incompetent as to utterly fail on selling me on the game. And it was a good loving game, too.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Wasn't that policy enacted right before Dishonored 2 came out? Seemed like a cynical way of stopping anyone from seeing the major issues with the PC release.

It was enacted right before Skyrim SE came out and had that exact effect for both it and D2.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I had basically zero interest in DOOM up until about 3 days before it was released--and I was raised on the originals, still play them frequently, and regularly wear Doom t-shirts like some kind of neckbeard. It was only after seeing the Nvidia video that I realized the game might not actually be a bag of dicks. No idea how a marketing department could be so incompetent as to utterly fail on selling me on the game. And it was a good loving game, too.

What killed a lot of interest in doom was its horrible multiplayer demo.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I've been working in marketing/advertising for a couple years now and I can say with 100% confidence that "familiarity or knowledge of the product" is not at all valued by your average marketing type.

Learning that fact has made things like the Bethesda DOOM videos make a lot more sense.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
The problem here is two fold. Bad demo with bad controls thy say will be fixed, but at the same time no review copies sent out and that coupled with the previous will stall out sales I'm guessing. The story seemed right up my alley though. So it went from a day one purchase to a rental or sale.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

1stGear posted:

It's a lovely practice for consumers but you're not really at risk at getting a poo poo game with this since the developer is Arkane and they have a lot of good will built up (maybe not for PC ports tho) and the demo shows off quite a bit and unless the game immediately turns to poo poo after that it looks like it'll be great.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

There were a lot of moments where it really reminded me of deus ex in that there were multiple ways to get to different places on the map. Lots of making sure you look up down all around and whatnot.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I can't imagine trying to play this on a console. Maybe I'm just bad but fighting mimics was a pain in the rear end and the UI was incredibly fiddly. Really hope the PC version doesn't have serious tech issues but if not then it'll be a great game.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

GET MY BELT SON posted:

There were a lot of moments where it really reminded me of deus ex

I like the cut of your jib.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

If you're wondering what's the perk you should invest in with your first nerumod, choose [spoiler]leavage, there is a ton of extra items you can acquire in the beginning area by stacking containers to reach ledges and to move furniture blocking path ways.[/spoilers]

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Genocyber posted:

It's a lovely practice for consumers but you're not really at risk at getting a poo poo game with this since the developer is Arkane and they have a lot of good will built up (maybe not for PC ports tho) and the demo shows off quite a bit and unless the game immediately turns to poo poo after that it looks like it'll be great.

I'm not worried about getting a lovely game, but like you said, that is a really lovely practice and its not something that should be encouraged with preorders and pre-review purchases. Especially considering I'm buying PC and Dishonored 2's PC port did have issues.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

"Trademark dispute with Bethesda forces 'Praey for the Gods' name change"

:laffo: keep it up bethesda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've been trying to hold off on commenting on the whole dishonored 2 performance stuff because I'm obviously crazy biased but it's claimed that the whole fuckup with that launch was due to nvidia releasing some broken loving drivers the week before dh2 launched, and then launching a set of "new" drivers a week later that was actually a rollback that corrected 90% of the performance issues people were having with dishonored 2.

now even I take that explanation with a grain of salt but i did do my due diligence and nvidia released driver 376.19 on december 5th, dishonored 2 launched on december 11th, and nvidia then released driver 376.33 on december 14th, which seems anomalously close together for a driver release and corroborates the story as it was told to me, so maybe it wasn't actually totally arkane's fault

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 4, 2017