Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm off the controversial opinion that we see how the game runs before complaining about how bad the game runs. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

You people and your games running badly probably never experienced running Doom in windowed mode at 720p on a dying 750ti. At 40 jerky FPS. And it was awesome get off my lawn.

(I'm confident it'll be fine at launch or very quickly afterwards.)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 4, 2017

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
In fairness to Bethesda's DOOM trailer, it better represents how I play shooters than the nvidia trailer where it looks like someone taped down the W key. I play slower to try to avoid winding up being ganged up on and prefer to pick off targets instead of running laps around a room aggroing everything.

The Polygon footage, on the other hand, has no excuse.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the polygon video is like the dude was holding the controller with his feet while drunk. pure comedy.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Well, I'm temporarily cash-rich and permanently willpower-poor, so I just bought this and I'll be VPN'ing it sometime tomorrow morning. I'll report back if I experience any heinous performance issues.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm optimistic about Prey's PC performance because it doesn't run on Dishonored 2's engine but on Cryengine which has been proven as trustworthy time and time again in many games.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Despite getting amazing performance and not amazing but acceptable graphics with unreal engine 3 in the first Dishonored, Dishonored 2 uses the ~VOID~ engine which they made themselves based off of idTech 5. This new engine provides such benefits as ??? and markedly decreased performance using any graphics setting, low or high.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

i've been trying to hold off on commenting on the whole dishonored 2 performance stuff because I'm obviously crazy biased but it's claimed that the whole fuckup with that launch was due to nvidia releasing some broken loving drivers the week before dh2 launched, and then launching a set of "new" drivers a week later that was actually a rollback that corrected 90% of the performance issues people were having with dishonored 2.

now even I take that explanation with a grain of salt but i did do my due diligence and nvidia released driver 376.19 on december 5th, dishonored 2 launched on december 11th, and nvidia then released driver 376.33 on december 14th, which seems anomalously close together for a driver release and corroborates the story as it was told to me, so maybe it wasn't actually totally arkane's fault

The Nvidia drivers didn't help, but no. The game was still unoptimized and stuttery as poo poo even a month after release on hardware which should chew that game for breakfast (i5 4690k, GTX 1070, 16 GB RAM) and it wasn't even that graphically impressive either. It's good to know it's been fixed now but it also shouldn't have released in that state either.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's good to know it's been fixed now but it also shouldn't have released in that state either.

It hasn't been fixed still.
I waited several months trying to play Dishonored 2 on my GTX 960 back then and it was impossible to squeeze out acceptable performance on any settings.
I had to upgrade to a 1060 specifically to be able to play it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Odobenidae posted:

Despite getting amazing performance and not amazing but acceptable graphics with unreal engine 3 in the first Dishonored, Dishonored 2 uses the ~VOID~ engine which they made themselves based off of idTech 5. This new engine provides such benefits as ??? and markedly decreased performance using any graphics setting, low or high.

Runs brilliantly here, but I'm using a 1080 so it should. I thought the environment looked fantastic.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 4, 2017

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Trades posted:

It hasn't been fixed still.
I waited several months trying to play Dishonored 2 on my GTX 960 back then and it was impossible to squeeze out acceptable performance on any settings.
I had to upgrade to a 1060 specifically to be able to play it.

I had near unplayable performance when Deus Ex:MD came out, but Dishonoured 2 was fine at launch and even better after new drivers (on a 1070). The vagaries of PC.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Second Sun posted:

I had near unplayable performance when Deus Ex:MD came out, but Dishonoured 2 was fine at launch and even better after new drivers (on a 1070). The vagaries of PC.

Deus Ex: MD's was actually fixed within two weeks or something, unlike Dishonored 2.
I was at least able to play it on a GTX 960 with reasonable performance after the first big patch.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

2.5 hours left by the looks of it.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Jack Trades posted:

2.5 hours left by the looks of it.

What region is that?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SoggyGravy posted:

What region is that?

NZ. The earliest of all regions.
Warm up your VPNs.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Jack Trades posted:

NZ. The earliest of all regions.
Warm up your VPNs.

What VPN do you use?

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
Looks like they might've changed NZ release date to avoid people using VPN fuckery or my vpn that was working an hour ago just changed time zones :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Blister posted:

Looks like they might've changed NZ release date to avoid people using VPN fuckery or my vpn that was working an hour ago just changed time zones :(

Steam never releases game on time. Wait 30 minutes, it doesn't look like anything changed.

SoggyGravy posted:

What VPN do you use?

F-Secure Freedome

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Jack Trades posted:

Steam never releases game on time. Wait 30 minutes, it doesn't look like anything changed.

F-Secure Freedome

Funny, I didn't see NZ on it just Melbourne. Anyway at work now but looking forward to hearing initial pc reports and hoping its a thumbs up with buggy crap from the demo ironed out.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
I'll be curious about that too. They kept saying day one patches were ironing out all the input lag and bugs. The concept and story look great which is right up my alley, but the demo was absolutely horrid to play through due to massive control issues. And whoever designed the controls on PS4 for action items should find a new line of work, because that was some of the most ridiculous layout placement I have ever seen.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Out in 'straya and kiwiland.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Unlocking right now! Sweet. Unfortunately I can't play because my neighborhood is getting evacuated in an hour because someone found an old WW2 bomb.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Plot twist its a mimic and prey takes place in alternate history 1949!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GTX 1060; 1080p/Max Settings; Lowest fps I get in the apartment is 85.
It doesn't say a lot but it seems to be at least better than Dishonored 2 in term of performance. I don't think any place in it gave me 85 fps.

LE
Oct 19, 2002

I've got a VPN into Sydney, and even set my time zone as such, and changed my content server to NSW, but the game isn't unlocking. Am I missing something obvious here?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Did you restart Steam after connecting to the VPN?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Here's hoping the performance isn't rear end!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mindblast posted:

Here's hoping the performance isn't rear end!

Doesn't seem to be rear end.
Cannot say how well it runs on low-end systems though.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

two words: speech audio

LE
Oct 19, 2002

ymgve posted:

Did you restart Steam after connecting to the VPN?

Repeatedly.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

LE posted:

Repeatedly.

Try FlyVPN.

Close Steam.
Open FlyVPN, Connect to an Oceania server.
Wait until it confirms the connection.
Open Steam.
Decrypt.
Start Game.
Close Game.
Put Steam into Offline Mode (Steam - Go Offline)
Close FlyVPN.
Don't go online with Steam until the game releases in your region.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Huuuuuh...
My game doesn't have any voices. Everyone is a mime. Normal sounds and music works fine though.

Anyone else having that issue?

EDIT: Apparently everyone has that issue. Seems like they messed something up.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 4, 2017

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Jack Trades posted:

You're right steam was just being a fucker :downs:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

:sigh: seriously curious how something like missing speech was not picked up during testing.

LE
Oct 19, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

Try FlyVPN.

Close Steam.
Open FlyVPN, Connect to an Oceania server.
Wait until it confirms the connection.
Open Steam.
Decrypt.
Start Game.
Close Game.
Put Steam into Offline Mode (Steam - Go Offline)
Close FlyVPN.
Don't go online with Steam until the game releases in your region.

Thanks for the recommendation. Tried using Brisbane. Doesn't seem like it had any effect. I've got no idea why Steam isn't budging on unlocking the game. I'll wait another 12 hours, I guess.

Seems absurd to stagger the release window in this manner.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mindblast posted:

:sigh: seriously curious how something like missing speech was not picked up during testing.

They were literally playing PC version of Prey on stream yesterday with no issues.

I think the problem is not with the game but with Steam distribution. They probably messed something up when it comes to players downloading the correct localization files from Steam.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

edit: 700mb update just started, lets... PRAY!! that it fixes the dialogue.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 4, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Qmass posted:

God dammit! That means I need a VPN that would let me download 700mb of data (at a snail's pace most likely) or I have to wait for a proper release.
That loving sucks.

EDIT: Nevermind, I could download the patch normally, and then VPN the the Steam client again to get back the access to it.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Qmass posted:

Oops. Praying for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Audio fixed, patch successful.