Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Definitely keep the music cues on - it's more of a stylistic feature than diminishing the difficulty type thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Bust Rodd posted:

This method is foolproof albeit time-consuming.

QUESTION: does the game gain ANYTHING by letting you pick Morgan's gender? I just feel like if Morgan were canonically a woman and everyone played through as a woman we'd have a shot at a lasting protagonist, but making it RPG-ish by allowing player choice muddied the waters and makes it so nobody remembers Morgan, they only remember their Morgan.

After 2-3 playthrough I think making Morgan an Asian, female, gay scientist could have been an awesome hook that had potentially Gordon Freeman levels of cult following, but again, the decision being left to the player hurts the game, IMO.

Female, save everyone Morgan is my canonical choice. My second playthrough is going to be Male, human abilities only, murder everyone Morgan.

Because the deadliest creature is Man, do you see?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Vib Rib posted:

I don't understand how that would be better. Being able to swerve the narrative by your own choice is not a point against the game. If anything it's thematically fitting to boot.
Games that presume to know my intentions by extrapolating from my actions get it wrong all the time, whether by reading from the wrong angle or just bad mechanics (or bugs) weighting things much more differently than you'd expect.

For real.

Got a bit frustrated with Dishonoured 2's Outsider calling me a callous murdering psychopath when I had only killed one guard at that point in the story.

Those sort of judgment systems are fine and good when they work but too often there's some inexplicable flag that you've triggered, leading to confusion on the player's part.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I didn't need to carry him anywhere, but then I got him before he turned off the gravity which appears to be the deciding factor.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Mzbundifund posted:

The most important advice I have for a new player is that later in the game you'll be presented with what sounds like a faustian bargain, but it actually isn't. Take the superpowers, the "reward" for avoiding them is a steam cheevo and a single line of dialogue in the end cutscene.

What's this? I've played through once just after launch and I can't remember it at all.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

GlyphGryph posted:

Bottom floor, towards poor but take a left.

Quality post + av combo.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Only just started Mooncrash really (just finished my first run with the engineer) but regarding the story: I'm guessing the story is a riff on Moon, with the hacker you're playing not going home any time soon - what was that distorted speech after you're told this is last mission?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Basic Chunnel posted:

The volunteer’s is the easiest since everything except corrupted operators is non-hostile

I kept getting hosed by this.

First I was instamurdered on corruption level 1 by a telepath throwing me into a ceiling on my way to the start.

Then some of those rolly cyst things blowing themselves up counted as me killing them and I got called a bad papa by something purporting to be my son.

And I think there were two other game overs which I swear weren't my fault.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Nion posted:

I do wish that they'd mix up the skill distribution in Mooncrash a bit. Only one of the characters being able to use Spare Parts at all is a bit meh. Giving a couple of extra characters the ability to maintain their weapons (inefficiently) and do level 1 repairs makes so much sense. As does giving more than one character access to equipping more than 3 chipsets and having a slightly bigger inventory. Giving level 1 hacking to a couple of characters would also make sense to me.

Other than that, Mooncrash is awesome so far. I'm kind of stuck at the moment, though. I want to get all the skills, but I need to scan a Poltergeist. (Presumably. I need Lift 2 and Remote Manipulation 3. Seems Poltergeist-y.) I kept running into them early on. But I haven't seen one since getting the Psychoscope.

My thoughts exactly - I was put off initially when they announced the rogue-lite aspects, but it's by and large a success. Having only one character able to hack, repair etc was a pain though. Wouldn't it have made sense for head of security to have some basic hacking ability, or for the director of a science complex to be able to repair some basic machinery?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Oh also at some point some free DLC went out and the security weapons now have a moon surface skin accessible from within the inventory menu

That was there from launch. Seem to remember them talking about free skins for the characters to come though.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Really Pants posted:

Repair can clear so many paths for everyone that this seems like the way to go regardless. A full escape attempt only makes it more vital, since you absolutely have to repair the mimic portal in Pytheas Labs, and quite likely the MoonWorks mass driver's ground-floor lift too.

The lift is easily bypassed with a gloo gun - I agree with the engineer being the superior first choice for a run though.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh, gently caress you game. I was killed by a Poltergeist and a mimic, al corruption level 1, while having almost full hp and armor. The Poltergeist telekinetic ability launched me to the ceiling, and I suppose the game glitched a bit and instakilled me?

That was also one of my Volunteer story mission deaths that had me rage quiting. That one was on the way to it though, to be fair.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

ToxicFrog posted:

I have heard other people say that it can be found in the labs/observation rooms across the hall on a post-it note. I never noticed it there myself but I also wasn't looking particularly hard. If you're the Janitor you can also hack your way in which leaves it open for other characters later in the same run.

Or just use a foam bolt on the unlock button from the window on the opposite side of the room.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Synthbuttrange posted:

thats what people said about Prey, I'm not falling for that poo poo again.

Dude, stop overreacting. The ending is thematically valid, is telegraphed heavily throughout and does not discount everything that has come before it. I would somewhat understand your reaction if it really was just a 'it was all a dream' ending, but it isn't.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

pentyne posted:

I held off exploring too much

Here's your problem.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Dishonored is essentially the spiritual successor to Thief in much the same way as Prey is to System Shock. Definitely start from the beginning and don't skip the DLC as a) it's great and b) it sets up the sequel.

My only criticism of them is something common to similar games in that stealth is a much more rewarding path to take, yet there's lots of fun violent toys that you miss out on as a result.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Yeah, I had a recent replay on hard with the survival elements on and it barely adds difficulty. It's just a little extra flavour. If anything its main impact is you having to keep a bit of your inventory reserved for the various treatments for certain conditions.

So long as you're not doing an alien only / no needles run, you'll be swimming in spare parts for weapon repairs too.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Gives me time to fit that kill 'em all alien powers only run in.

Hope this doesn't mean they'll be under crunch until then.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I think it's more down to how immersive sims tend to be in the cyberpunk genre (including that recent one whose name escapes me), which is by and large a nihilistic / pessimistic medium.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Dpulex posted:

Prey is the last decent rpg we've gotten in the last 4 years at least. Hell, even thief deadly shadows is better than most garbage released these days even if only because of the cradle. AAA gaming is in such a poo poo state right now that any given game at walmart has at least a 99% chance of being some boring, generic, broken piece of unplayable poo poo.

Same as it ever was. Do you also expect high quality from the equivalent AAA movie and music releases? They're generally chasing the lowest common denominator crowd.
That's not to say that we're not in a great place for games right now - some of the top games on my theoretical best games list have been released in the last couple of years, just not from the big studios.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
God help me, I'm reinstalling because of this thread again. Think I'll finally get around to my alien powers only & kill 'em all run.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

spaceblancmange posted:

When did this game patch in HUD options? Played it at release and think I needed a mod to turn off objective markers.

I know that you could unselect an objective from your quest log to remove markers - pretty sure the HUD options have always been there too, though I may be wrong. I generally don't play with objective markers and I didn't have to install a mod at release.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Super excited for Deathloop. I loved Mooncrash and it looks like it was something of a prototype for what DL is. Also Arkane are one of the last great single player dev houses, so I'd be excited for what they put out anyway.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Hey, it's that guy from Deadwood

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Deathloop's great, it's just probably Arkane's weakest game. Which still leaves most other studios in the dust.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Prey doesn't tell you off for killing enemies. Unless you mean the survivors in which case it kind of should.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Plan R posted:

I'm into my Typhon-only run and it is a pain in the rear end. No inventory, no weapon upgrades past the first level, no QOL mods. Still I'm enjoying myself!
Just now starting to get enough research for powers.

Already did a Human-only run and that was cake. I figure my fourth playthrough will be No Mods/Kill because it's gonna be tough to creatively murder certain people.

Are there actually any mods that adjust the skill-trees etc? Typhon only may actually be fun if I could mod in a bigger inventory and increase psi amount.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
That's an incredible take.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I like a lot about Deathloop but wish it was closer to Mooncrash in a lot of ways. It was disappointing how much of Deathloop's solutions end up being as ordained, whereas Mooncrash allowed a lot of inventiveness

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Don't sleep on Dishonored's DLC either; not only is it great (probably a notch higher than the base game's levels) but it explicitly sets up several characters and villain of 2 and Death of the Outsider.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

KillHour posted:

I've never heard of this game before but drat if they didn't nail the atmosphere at art style perfectly.

I think it's been mostly one guy making it for a few years now - the wait has been agonising.

There's a demo up on steam still from the last demo fest thing.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Much like crafting the hourglasses, it's much better to just ignore the mules and play as if it's not there.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Something like a rewind feature like in Invisible Inc or Sands of Time would work. It'd have to be quite strict though - five seconds tops.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I like some of the AC games, but they're about as far removed from the Dishonoreds as you can get.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Eason the Fifth posted:

:hmmyes:

I saw a preview for AC3 and wanted to play it but being a grognard completionsist I had to play 1 and 2. 1 was okay, 2 is actually a series of three games that really captured me with Ezio's story. 80 hours later I finally started AC3 and hated it. Havent played any AC games since. Roll on snaredrum.

The point of this pointless story though is that Dishonored is better than the AC games by a country mile. I hear Odyssey is good, but the AC formula ran out of gas very quickly for me.

Odyssey is definitely the best of the ones I played; in no small part due to it being largely removed from the terrible Assassins vs Templars overarching plot, and having a very likable lead character in Kassandra (don't play as Alexios). The combat got a shot in the arm from the soft reboot in the previous Origins (which is pretty good too).

Arkane's games are a league or two above though, not least because Imsims are objectively the best genre :colbert:

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
This has been making me think back to a poster a couple of years ago who had a complete mental breakdown because they saw the ending as a trite 'it was just a dream'. The way they were going on about it you'd think the game killed his family.

Edit: and the ending is good and absolutely not 'just a dream'. It's tied into the narrative from the very beginning and adds a subtle melancholy to replays.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
It's been a while since I've played so my recollection is a bit fuzzy, but I got the impression that pre-testing Morgan is similar to Alex in ethics, but some of the post testing iterations pick up a conscience. Gameplay Morgan is whatever you make of it of course.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Tortolia posted:

I would still say that Prey is better since it's based on two decades of enhancements to the genre design, but as someone who Kickstarted SS2023 and had basically written off that money I've been extremely pleased with it. Hoping Nightdive takes a crack at a remaster of the second game.

There's a remaster of SS2 on the way, but it's just that. Not the full remake that (the excellent) SS2023 is.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

aniviron posted:

It's not Prey or Arkane but there's no thread for it so you can't stop me: I've been playing Weird West, which is Raphael Colantonio's game from a few years back, the immersive sim action RPG set in, well, the fantasy wild west. It's good so far! Has a loooot of Prey's DNA in it. Clearly doesn't have a massive budget, but as of now I'd say if you like Prey it's worth trying.

Weird West is a great if flawed game. It's been a bit since I've played it so can't remember the specifics but I remember having to mod away some issues with the companions - seem to remember they were a little too happy to walk into your line of fire.

My other issue with it is that I'd prefer it be turn based rather than the somewhat awkward realtime isometric shooting, but I'd also like most things be turn based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Dyz posted:

Im sorry, I like the original SS, but it was never the GOAT. It was abandonware for a long time even.

A game being abandonware for a long period has nothing to do with its quality. SS has always been highly regarded among its niche. This medium is just particularly bad at preserving its history.