Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also GMG is only fully legit nowadays because CD Projekt RED publicly called them out for reselling grey market keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Leverage 3 is important for 2 reasons you wouldn't assume. First for combat, thrown r3 stuff does absurd damage, and you can take it with you whole levels. Add the lifting speed mod/damage mod and you don't need weapons.

If you stealth throw a tape recorder with stealth critical up, you'll one shot a Nightmare for example.

Secondly a ton of vents are behind r3 stuff. You can recycler bomb blocked doors sure, but guessing where the vents are is much harder.

Repair is needed to access a ton of content. Turrets aren't as useful but still nice time to time. Few quests need repair to finish.

Hacking ironically seems pointless. Enough notes around to just know the login info, and hacking to me feels like it pulls away from the exploration which is the best part of tbe game. Sure you can hack the door, or you can find the guy who actually has the key two zones away and Metroidvania back to open it.

The first two things I beelined for were Hacking 3 and Leverage 3, so I guess that evens out! :v:

I also got an inventory upgrade (I still don't understand why that is a neuromod and not a suit upgrade)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They could have called the game PsychoShock

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, it was a big inspiration for Mass Effect 2

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, it's more of a constant creeping tension that never goes away than a bunch of pointed scares. I don't know if that's better or worse on the "excessively stressful" scale!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just got the Necropsy ability and am now obsessively retracing my steps all the way back to the beginning of the game. And then I get mad when a corpse that definitely should be there has despawned :mad:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I feel like this game has some of the more believable e-mail chains I've seen in a video game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So has the "It may take months before a player does this" thing happened yet if we already have a sub-20 speedrun

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Blattdorf posted:

Question regarding a locked room in Psychotronics: Can you enter that one locked room near the "sticky note bonanza" room using some other method than just turning into a cup?

You can use the crossbow to shoot the screen, there is a menu option to unlock the door

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

This is a fair point, even if I disagree with it. I recall that Giant Bomb has a long argument during their GotY talk about how much the tepid Doom MP should impact its consideration.

Everyone rags on the Polygon Doom video when
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHlvQcozDAA&t=120s

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

:eyepop: I never even thought of using EMPs to deactivate those things.

In 99% of video games that would do nothing and they would only work on enemies and machines. *glares at Deus Ex HR, where that is absolutely the case*

I was really worried that this game would feel like Deus Ex HR; I totally bounced off that because there were so many design choices that bothered me, like how telegraphed the "stealth route"/"combat route"/"social route" paths were for each area, and things like how you could double dip XP by stealthing past enemies and then doubling back to kill them all.

Luckily, so far there has been none of that in Prey at all, like they've been very conscious about how people play this subgenre of game and have designed it to mesh very well. Like, I thought I was going to be bothered by the fact that you could drink water to slowly restore your HP (shades of Dishonored) and it was a bad time-versus-resources trade. But then I found the medical operators and so that wasn't a bad choice that the player had to make

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kontradaz posted:

I need your help guys. Tell me if I'm being a huge loving dumbass - but I'm not buying any of the alien powerups because Alex Yu says they are great and then January is telling me that I shouldn't take too many because I'll become like them etc. I feel like the game isn't built around the way I'm doing it and it's kind of getting to be difficult in some parts because guns really suck in general, and I have a shiton of resources but not the primary one that is for ammo/resources I'm hoping there's some sort of payoff at the end for doing it this way, but if there isn't I'm gonna feel like a fool.

At the very least there is an achievement for that.

I think there's also a tweet from the developer saying "Of course you can do that, that's too obvious" when people were spitballing what the Secret Playstyle was

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Man, I just did the Magnetosphere encounter and that was pretty tense. Also January killed December!? and now I feel like I should have done that other thing first

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You have multiple thrusters.

Also while typing this post I was in an EVA and smashed against a solar panel and died instantly

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So in the Shuttle Bay I launched the escape pod. If I'm trying to blow up the station to stop the Typhon, did I just gently caress Earth anyway? And I realize that it doesn't matter if I'm saving anyone here if blowing up the station is the right thing to do... in terms of the main story I just got the two paths of finding the escape pod key or the destruct key. I guess I'm just having trouble parsing the decision here, is it something that becomes absolutely clearer later?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

keyframe posted:

Guys I am stuck hard on early game hardware labs:

I need to get Lorenzos keycard or something from his body and he is outside somewhere I can't get to. I explored every inch of the map available to me, got the jetpack and all but it seems I can't progress unless I have leverage 3 and I blew all my neuromods on inventory space upgrades. Am I missing some area to progress? please help :(

Open the pod bay doors, keyframe

More specifically: You need to EVA to the outside of the station. There is an airlock in the Machine Shop, you need to use the terminal by it to open it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Prey owes more directly gameplay-wise to System Shock. It borrows visual aesthetics and narrative frameworks from BioShock while making them less terrible over-the-top

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

Where the heck can I find the stun gun ammo fabrication plan? I can drown myself in 9mm bullets and shotgun shells if I so desired but stun gun ammo is no where to be found

I found the stun gun plans somewhere but I can't remember, it's either in the Hardware Labs or Psychotronics. It's actually cheaper to make the stun gun than either of those ammo boxes and you can recycle the gun itself for even better value

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wait actually I remember exactly where it is . There is a guy on the second floor of the neuromod area

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You get the option to hack turrets even if they're friendly, does that do anything

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Man, gently caress you Josh Dalton. You seemed like an rear end in a top hat from your e-mails and trying to find you is a real pain

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

A lot of folks just carry banana peels with them while working, is this like Demolition Man and the three shells

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

keyframe posted:

Guys where can I find the Psychotronics morgue door keycard?

In the Psychotronics morgue :v:

Solution: You need to open the door from the inside, crossbow or morph will work

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

OK I just got to the Crew Quarters, should I worry about saving mind-controlled humans?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, I ended up using the disruptor to stun them, once I saw that one of the D&D crew was in there I couldn't let them die :shobon:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

are you sure that's where the plan is? because that's where i definitely picked up the gun itself but i can recheck to see if the plan is on the guy

My bad, yeah that is only the gun but the plans are definitely nearby in the Volunteer Quarters office on the desk there. The ammo plans are in the arboretum

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Crustashio posted:

Dumb question, but does the game actually end if you take the escape pod? I discovered randomly that I could gloo gun up to alex's office, which lead me to the escape pod key in his quarters, and i figured out you can use the rafters to make a gloo path to the pod. But I don't really feel like ending the game this early

I saved before I did this. ARBORETUM SPOILERS Like, you can use the pod, but it doesn't have a full ending, it just gives you a game over screen. You get some revealing dialogue at least that has me thinking about what the true ending will be

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

I did my first playthrough as male Morgan and now I'm doing female.

In my male Morgan play I found out that he had a romantic relationship with Ilyushin and ended it because he was going into the sim and wanted to spare her the worry and grief of him completely forgetting about her

Who is it if you're female? How does the plot thread change?

It doesn't

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ambaire posted:

What is this a reference to? Google is getting nothing.

THAC0, probably?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Welp, I'm at the point where I'm pretty much kitted out with all the upgrades I would want, I don't feel scared by any of the enemies and it's actually more trouble than it's worth fighting them (I have 40 exotic material and I don't actually want any more neuromods) and yet I have a ton of sidequests in my log

Edit: Wow, I just did the sidequest that uses the Deep Storage terminal and I hadn't really considered actually going through with the blow-up-the-station plan, but now... :(

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 11, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

No, January, the thing in the Lift is not unknown, I've already killed like a dozen of them.

The game has been pretty good about reacting to different paths so that call was a pretty funny aberration

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

enigmatikone posted:

How have you killed a dozen technopaths? Do more of them appear in Nightmare difficulty?
In my Hard difficulty playthrough, there was one in Fabrication, one in the lift and one in the Reactor room, at least until the Apex Typhon shows up.

I'm playing on Normal, but they have often shown up when exploring hull breaches, and they have also shown up back in older areas after story progression as I've been backtracking for sidequests

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

OK I have done a bunch of sidequests and I have two scavenger hunt-type quests left. I normally hate doing these, are they worthwhile

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well, I beat Prey. I had a lot of fun playing through it, and I told myself even if the ending was complete poo poo, it would still be way better than BioShock was.

I can confidently say this game is way better than Bioshock.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wow, OK. New Vegas allowed for you to do that so I wasn't even considering that something unique.

On the ending: I guess it makes sense for the story. It's one of those things that in terms of content and pacing would be a great cap to a short story but feels a bit grating at the end of a 25 hour experience. That said, I enjoyed almost all of those 25 hours so I'm not going to lose sleep over the ending of anything

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So green tea increases your psychic energy but coffee doesn't, huh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What gets you synthetics, though, that ended up being the big bottleneck for me in the second half

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I once got hit by a giant crate which knocked me into an electrical field and then a surge killed me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Meiteron posted:

Did I run into a gamebreaking bug here? I am at the Cargo Bay after getting the key in deep storage.

Essentially, I show up in the area after getting there via the spacewalk in the station, kill the Typhon wandering around, get into the safe area with all the survivors. Talk to Sarah, get the quest to get them a turret fabrication plan and make some turrets to help defend the area. Go outside, get the plan. Walk back inside, turn on the power in the cargo bay. Walk to the fabricator, make a turret. Quest updates each time and Sarah says something in a call after each step.

Quest marker is now pointing at the door, but nothing else is happening. I walk back up to Sarah but when talking to her she tells me I have to go get the turret plan and turn on the power, which is like three quest steps behind where I am. Nothing else is happening.

Am I screwed here? What did I do wrong?

Are you deploying the turrets at the marker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Golashes posted:

So how far in is the end of the Restore From Backup mission? I've explored the poo poo out of this game but I feel like main quest wise I haven't done a whole lot

I would say about halfway?