Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ConfusedUs posted:

Huh. I just jumped into Alex's escape pod and left. Then the game just ended. Not even a little story about what happened afterwards. Just Alex saying he's disappointed; but really gently caress that guy.

Judging from the discussion above, I assume this isn't the "real" ending. I guess I should do more story quests!

Yes, you should keep playing, and you may look back on what happened in this ending differently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

I played with gamepad and the qbeam was amazing.

Its the shotgun and pistol I never understood the point of on my first run. Why use the shotgun when you have the wrench?

Qbeam us great though and comboes well with everything else since damage done to the enemy still makes them qbeam explode faster. And it doesnt need a bunch of skills to make it useful.

The wrench does piddling damage unless you get the neuromods or you take the time to immobilize them. With a few weapon upgrades (and there are dozens of those lying around) the shotgun will straight-up delete phantoms with two shots

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I did not open up the lift until the very end of the game, that was the only time I heard dialogue that did not seem to account for the order I did things because I was getting quite a bit of early-game exposition about things which were definitely not new to me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The BioShocks are some of the worst AAA shooters ever designed, they feel so incredibly bad to play. Fighting any kind of mechanical enemy in any of those games was like nails on a chalkboard and part of the reason why I was worried about Prey because of all the Operators, but in Prey it's pretty satisfying to shock and hack and blow them up. Also BioShock Infinite's gameplay conceits with the rails and the tears were dumb and underutilized in monotonous arena garbage. Prey felt way better and satisfying in both hide-and-seek stealth and brutal, quick-lethal assault styles

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Utnayan posted:

Another cool thing about world building in Bioshock infinite was when Elizabeth opens that original tear and it's circa 1983 - Before Lucas changed the name of Return of the Jedi, and it was still Revenge of the Jedi showing on the theater marquee, with Everybody wants to rule the world playing in the background. I do not think it's everyone's cup of tea to see that type of effort put into such small segments, but those small segments for me make a game world. None of that is in Prey, and it could have been. Hell, even the original Prey had Fear the Reaper going on at the start of the game when the aliens came crashing down into the bar to start things off.

Those little touches in Bioshock 1 and Infinite are why I am such a fan of Ken Levine. Hell, you could walk right past that barbershop quartet and I guarantee you in meetings they were saying, "Why waste the resources on this small segment the player might just zip on passed and not even see it", and Levine would tell them to gently caress off, it's in the game, and then have 45 takes with the barbershop quartet to get the song right on top of it.

These were all ho-hum auteurist "Look at me, aren't I smart" riffs that were pointless in the grand scheme of a narrative that tried so hard to appear profound but actually turned out to be hackneyed garbage that was borderline racist, smashed like a child's mushed peas across interminable and and painful combat encounters against bullet sponge after bullet sponge.

The fact that in Prey all the audiologs are actually voice mails that would have been plausibly recorded and are found in places where they might be plausibly dropped in a disaster, shows more attention to constructing a coherent storyworld than anything in a BioShock game where storytelling is delivered through diaries that everyone seems to spill their souls into and force-fed theatrics designed to browbeat simpletons into thinking they're experiencing something that passes for aesthetic innovation