Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I see that this game has a wrench. Is it the Best Weapon, in keeping with tradition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I seem to be stuck.

I'm supposed to talk to January, but I don't have a map marker and can't find it. My marker points to Psychotronics (I don't remember receiving this quest, but I have it) but I need the keycard.
Edit: OK found him now.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 6, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm finding Metal to be my main resource limitation. Possibly because I keep using it for shotgun shells though?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can anyone help me reach Josh Dalton?
I can see him, but there's not quite enough room to squeeze through this opening (the pipe takes it all up). I can enter the pipe, but it goes somewhere completely different.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=920157439

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

What if you just never watch the video in your office. Like can you majorly sequence break the game by doing that. Then get into psychotronics thru Nerf gun hack?

The nerf gun only gets you into the outer office, you need the keycard for the zone-transition door.

Thanks for the tip about metal, I'm now drowning in it to the point where plastic is the limiting factor instead.

Is there any way to gets the communications unit without Repair 3? I can't see any other way to get this door open.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Has anyone figured out the safety threshold before turrets shoot you on sight yet?

Once you take the third alien mod they begin shooting.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ymgve posted:

I think the silent pistol is the best so far. Ammo is relatively cheap to manufacture and you get the blueprints for it in like in a dozen different places (While I've yet to find a single Q-beam ammo blueprint), gets boosted by the "security" neuromod, and doesn't have the insane damage dropoff that the shotgun has. At medium range, it feels like two or three pistol shots do more damage than a single shotgun blast.

It shoots insanely fast too. Especially useful with Combat Focus.

I think there's only one q-beam ammo blueprint, at the end of the related quest chain.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fairly spoiler-y

If I'm understanding correctly, Transtar brought up 'volunteers' from Earth and had mimics kill them so they would multiply, then harvested the mimics for the exotic material needed to make neuromods for sale.
Why not feed the mimics on animals, or bring up cadavers from earth and have the Weaver turn them into Phantoms?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

bewilderment posted:

I have heard there is a double jump. Is there a way to get it early?

Sort of. In theory.

It's on a corpse outside the station, which you could reach from the first time you space walk. But finding it without a quest-pointer would be really difficult.
You can get the quest pointer once you reach Deep Storage.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can also toggle off off individual quest markers in your Objectives tab.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Radaway used organics and no metal, but it uses all of 1 organics so basically you will never run out of it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lokee posted:

-If you pop a cystoid nest with a dart the cystoids will run after and self detonate on the dart, worked amazingly in zero-g.

Dart?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I psychoshock them (stops them from attacking) then explode them with the deathray (bullets do poor damage to mech enemies, but they have no resistance to Science!)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

http://puu.sh/vMxww/b47a44f956.webm

I really love that the 'pick up item' prompt still appears when you're hovering over a mimic.

There's a fun log in the power plant before the outbreak, a guy tried to put a new component into a high-voltage electrical system and it just sort of fizzled and melted into horrid black goo. Cue retreat to office with a bottle of whiskey.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The big wave of military operators was really not very scary against someone with 3 ranks of Combat Focus and a maxed-out Disruptor.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Technically speaking it's easier to get to your brain through your eye. Although it looks gruesome, there are no nerve endings in your eye so you won't really feel the pain there. I guess the needles close up the wound coming back out? Hell if I know.

The eye is squishy, so you can in fact get past it and into the brain without needing to pierce the eyeball. This is how they used to do lobotomies.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I just assumed Morgan's position in Neuromod Development allows him access to the entire Transtar connectome database, so once he has a neuromod injector loaded with exotic material he can flash the firmware with whatever connectome he wants to load into himself.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why are these people acting like blowing up the station will stop the Typhon? They were around long before the Soviet space program encountered one and will be around long after Talos 1 is dust. Killing this particular nexus of Typhon activity won't deal with all the ones who have already scattered into other orbits, or the ones who have been floating around the system since before humanity evolved.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there any functional difference between the Margrave and the Shotgun? Or does it just have gold inlay and the same innards?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

n4 posted:

Another funny thing about the ending the Apex is gigantic and apparently flew through space to get to the station. Why do they think blowing up the station will stop Typhon from getting to earth when the apex could literally just fly there?

Is it possible to scan the Apex? I only managed to scan the tendrils.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Evacuation and Ending Chat Since the whole thing is a sim to test a typhon/human hybrid, is it possible the Evacuation is the Typhon invasion of Earth that was implanted into the sim? The data on it is super vague and I don't remember if there's any dates on any of the text or audio logs

Sarah was a veteran of the Evacuation and it's discussed during her psych evals, so it happened before the Talos 1 incident.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

poor life choice posted:

How do you scan poltergeists? Don't know how to make them visible.

You need to hit them with the stun gun. They'll stand around disoriented for a while, allowing for scanning.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

Question about the end of the Who Is December quest:

Was there a way to get to the escape pod besides gymnastics across the bridge with the GLOO gun? Assumed there was a switch to lower the bridge or something but never found it so I improvised. .

Alex's computer can extend the bridge.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does mimicing have any use other than fitting through small gaps?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

yes you can

Can you fire deathlasers?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Does anyone ever try to justify the sourcing of Typhon goo?

It's making us billions, what the gently caress other justification do we need?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I noticed that Operators contain exotic material. I wonder if it's a necessary component of their AI matrices?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gloogun. That's it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I would have liked a little more variety. Like an old battle rifle a veteran smuggled aboard, or a gloogun modified into an etherthrower by desperate scientists (like a flamethrower except it disintegrates things).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

poo poo appears to go down while you're unconscious after the test. Things good together long enough to says reassuring emails and take the corpse to the psychotronics morgue, but by the time you wake up everyone's dead.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Be environmentally responsible. Recycle them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

(endingchat) I wonder why they used Morgan's cell lines. I mean, if i was holding auditions for the role of 'person with empathy' Morgan isn't exactly who I'd choose.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

J posted:

Does the game ever explain anywhere what a reployer actually does or is it just a running gag?

The opposite of a deployer, obviously.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They're the third tier of mimic. All of them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

The one that came up with the nullwave was the original Morgan wasn't it?

Oldest Morgan, yes. In October he began the tests, and left a note about how a giant Nullwave should be able to fix any problems. In December he started getting worried about whether they'd let him out of the simulation next time and came up with an escape plan. By January he was starting to freak out about the Typhon and came up with plan: everything explodes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dogen posted:

I could have used maybe one more mad science weapon and don't you dare say that about my Q Beam

The q-beam was mad-ish science. It had a budget and development labs and everything. I would have liked a weapon cooked up out of desperation and spare parts by the cutting-edge scientists aboard the station.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kurzon posted:

How much does a neuromod cost? Does it cost more than a four year college degree?

That depends. How much do you value each year of your life at?

(IE, for a normal student studying is probably waaaay cheaper than neuromodding. But if you're paying someone 10 million a year it might be cheaper to rewire their brain than to send them on a course.)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DancingShade posted:

They're literally hand made on a space station by artisans. Bespoke neuromods.

Yeah they're definitely insanely expensive.

Also they require human sacrifice.

But isn't the fabrication of the actual disposable injector just a matter of 'press button, receive neuromod' at a fabricator? Developing new connectomes is a lot of work, but there's no handcrafting involved on the physical units.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Relating to the shuttle outside, I explored it early, and when I finally visited the bridge, a quest autocompleted.

I'm guessing that the mission that completed is the one about the other shuttle, which starts on the bridge. You completed it by doing nothing, a valid choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Stun gun!
Operators hate this one weird trick.

Or Q-Beam. Operators are resistant to bullets (pistol and shotgun) because of their metal chassis, but Science! goes right through it.
Note that upgrading the Q-beam can make it much more ammo efficient. It always loads 100 cells at a time, extending the firing time means it fires for longer using those same 100 cells.