Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Dead Space is cool because it was designed around the creepy atmosphere first and foremost and just about all the gameplay serves that fact. That's why they made the game HUDless, which was pretty radical for a console game at the time.

But yeah it was a console game and trying to play the series now on PC is annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I've heard Death Loop is in development hell :(

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Lord Lambeth posted:

I want to point out that gog also has a demo for the system shock remaster up

https://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_demo

Some thoughts after playing the demo recently (did not finish it)

- It's a straight remaster. Nothing new added as far as I can tell, but if you skipped out of playing SS1 because of its age, this should be fun for you
- Lots of previous public complaints about the demo being poorly optimized, but it must have been updated recently because it ran smoothly with very high frame rate for me
- The wire hacking game sucks. The only thing that's good about it is that it doesn't take you out of action
- Level design is decent, but a lot of things are confusing whether they are interact-able or not. The flavor text for literally every object is kinda cool though. I feel like both points here are ripped straight from the original
- It's not very scary, maybe a little creepy, but that's mostly from mild body horror. It's also not hard by modern standards.
- The view out of the window is nice.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Wafflecopper posted:

That seems like an odd statement considering lots of old school games were hard as balls and most modern games are designed to hold your hand

Everything I came across was very slow and easy to kill. :shrug:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
That being so, 2.5% of the original game playerbase unlocking all 5 characters (so getting at least halfway through the DLC) actually seems like a pretty good percentage. Especially considering that only 43% of the playerbase ever unlocked a Typhon power.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Sivart13 posted:

Finished Mooncrash. I only died three or less times in total but was playing quite cautiously.

I ended up playing an hour or two more than I needed because I got my brain mixed up and thought there was an achievement for finding every crew member on the station in Mooncrash. (I already got the cheevo for doing that in the main game). But at least I got to see every nook and cranny of the station.

I'm kinda glad Prey has so many difficult achievements, because I know I will never ever do a "no needles" or "typhon only" run, so I don't have to worry about grinding out the "Galaxy Brain" trophy (every neuromod in Mooncrash) for the dubious honor of getting 100% of the achievements.

Some other scattered observations:
  • Why is the interface for the fabricator seemingly in a random order? It made me feel like an idiot scrolling back and forth looking for the special medicine that makes your bones stop crackling.
  • You can easily pull everything out of the operator companion but there's no "send all" button.
  • I wish that on PC there weren't so many things of the interface differentiated by "press F" vs "hold F".
  • What was the point of no-oxygen sections? Does it only become a problem if your suit loses all its integrity? I always had a huge surplus of suit repair kits.
  • Engineer's turret is a very cathartic weapon against cystoid nests.
  • Custodian was a real letdown. All the other characters have some kind of game-breaking advantage, but her focus is... stealth? The last thing I wanted to do after 10 spawns is go through the game even more slowly and methodically. She starts with a lightsaber but it's not even as good as the one any character can pick up in the labs?
The only big downside from these type of games is the nihilistic/bummer nature to the plotline. Is it possible to make a happy immersive sim? Where you sneak up and incapacitate a wide variety of enemies for a positive purpose like to plan their surprise party?

I enjoyed finding everyone in the Moonbase purely because it was fun and they end up showing you some cool passageways you might have otherwise missed. I think the fabricator is ordered by when you find each item, so that's why it seems super random.
I actually died once from lack of oxygen, and it happened FAST when I didn't realize my suit was busted.
The point of the Custodian is to be a totally broken speedrun machine. She's stupid fast, doesn't attract enemies, and can jump higher and further. Ignore the typhon completely, just get to the objective.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Mongolian Queef posted:

I hate timers too but according to this, "you're not on a timer"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7A-xbYoqlY&t=50s

I'm glad they are addressing this because it makes a lot of people (not me) very upset. I'm imagining that all of the targets continue to go about their daily routine if you miss them, so that you can keep going the next day, but if you want you can restart as well. or keep trying until you are killed. That'd be a 'not a timer' timer on the whole thing.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I was really hoping for more Mooncrash in Deathloop. I still like DL because it's generally fun and has a neat style, but it does not scratch the same itch that MC did.

Mooncrash is really just too good to be a DLC.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Ravenfood posted:

And there is exactly one path to do it to get all the Visionaries where you need them, which was disappointing. Mooncrash did require you to go in a specific order for a "final" run, and some of the objectives were mutually exclusive, but it was a lot more free-form and wasn't spelled out for you. I really wish they had talked; Deathloop had some cool and poo poo moments but the way Mooncrash handled the Loop and pseudo-roguelike nature of it was way better.

The cool part of Mooncrash is that discovering the way to complete the game also becomes an investigative experience into what happened on the Moonbase. The way you complete the game is the way events most likely played out and as you get closer to an optimal way to win the game you get closer to the truth. It's a unique story telling experience in gaming for me and I haven't had an experience like it since System Shock's audio logs.

On the flip side, Deathloop's function is to solve an elaborate escape room, but the proper way is spelled out for you. It adds obfuscation with the Julie encounters and some very small variations in storytelling by changing events in the loop, but is otherwise a lot more A-B-C then D for the solution than what Mooncrash offers.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

Guess which ending I picked? :v:

Tbh, I might not be quite as riled by the ending if Alex just clearly explained how we got from Talos to the current situation. Even if it changed depending on what ending you picked or other factors like the escape pod. Basically every time I've seen the ending discussed, people are quick to provide their own explanations for how even the seemingly "good" endings could go wrong. I even have my own for the nullwave one!

There just doesn't seem to be a good reason for things to exist in what I find to be a both too ambiguous and too specific state. Same kinda thing with the Operators. If those characters are killed, there you go, easy answer. If they survived, well, suddenly you have to start writing your own explanation for why they only appear as Operators, of which there are many viable interpretations. Why not just have them appear in-person? :iiam: Ironically, if they had tripled down on the mind screw elements and made the ending more ambiguous I might've liked it better, because then I wouldn't be waylaid by trying to piece together how anything shown connects back to what happened on Talos.

They are operators because they died in the real history of events and they were only “saved” in the simulation. The reality is that Morgan was not a super soldier and lost a lot of people. But in the sim you can do whatever. It ends up being very similar to Mooncrash in that sense.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

Not according to multiple other people itt, which is how we got here. :p

And I disagree with them! The real version of events is close but separate to the sim. The game is not the real version of events. This is easy to accept in Mooncrash. For some reason (because there is one main character) it’s harder to accept in the main game.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

Genuinely curious as to what door you mean.

I think the room with the piano that you can see at the start

Except then I looked it up and found this video lol

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

turn off the TV posted:

Fabrication and the Volunteer Quarters don't actually load unless you're entering Neuromods from the lobby. Once you've done that I think that you can get anywhere inside without needing any skill checks.

I thought all you needed was hacking level 1 to get into the security booth and find the code to the Volunteer area? And from there you can get to the rest of the upper areas.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Teledahn posted:

Even if you're not on ... that specific quest, locating all the crew members is a completionist temptation. I know I was trying to do so even though I wasn't... following that quest.

Yeah I did it for the achievement, and I think you are allowed to miss 5 crew or so, so you can get it without opening that one door.

I did the same in Mooncrash even though there is no achievement and it made me love the game so much more because all of the tags are found in places that will help you in future runs - in vents or obscure paths, or next to goodies that you wouldn't have found otherwise. It's a cool feature, and definitely added to the game.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

tango alpha delta posted:

If would be absolutely amazing to see an updated System Shock 2, since it’s one of the best games ever made, well, until you get to The Body of The Many because gently caress that poo poo.

We can hope for a Black Mesa style remake where it's mostly a lot of polish on top of the same system, and then the final area is completely reimagined.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Well I'm in the minority of people that don't mind the Body of the Many. The first playthrough it completely rocked me because I had spec'd myself as a weakling hacker. After that I always made sure to get proficiency in rifles and come with enough AR ammo and everything else I might need. I've never gone too far down the psi route in SS2 because it's a pain to manage and swap powers, but I imagine it also makes things easier in the BotM.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
You cannot romance a mimic 0/10

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Red Crown posted:

\
One big hanging chad for me: A couple of logs mention a shuttle accidentally seeing a hidden military space station, but I never found anything more before I Perdition'd Talos. Where can I find more?

Play Mooncrash to find out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

MH Knights posted:

RIP Arkane Austin. I know being "forced" to make Redfall did the real damage and drove most of the devs behind Prey away so this is just the studio being finished off. Still sucks though.

Considering the other studios being shuttered, I don't think it has much to do with their last game being a bomb, although I see where you are coming from.

I hope the brains behind Prey can get together and make more cool games. Prey is awesome, and I want more of it.