Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

How do I find the dead rear end in a top hat in space for the Disgruntled Employee mission? I've checked every corpse outside the station that shows up on the HUD, and the mission waypoint is completely useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

Gotta activate his tracking beacon in deep storage, employee 1129 if I recall.
Did that; that's what got me the completely useless quest marker.

quote:

Then just set a waypoint on him at a security computer.

:doh: And completely forgot I could do that.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Protip: Prey has more forgiving physics than SS2. In particular, it doesn't have collision damage, only falling damage. This means you can rocket down the GUTS at your suit's max speed and brake by slamming face-first into a wall without any ill effects.

Also, cystoids are assholes but are also real dumb. Fire a few nerf darts near them and they'll chase after them and explode. And cystoid nests are the main sources of radiation, so once you pop them you don't have radiation to worry about except in one or two places.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zereth posted:

... I've damaged myself by running into things at high speeds in zero g segments.

Huh. What difficulty are you on? I played super cautiously at first until I slammed into a few things by accident at 15m/s without so much as bruise. Maybe only higher difficulties have collision damage?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

guppy posted:

I beat the game yesterday, but I had no idea you could move that quickly in space. My max speed zero-g was a cool 1.49m/sec. Apparently you can sprint in space? My spacewalks were very tedious.

This is mentioned in a tutorial, IIRC. Hold down ctrl and it goes up to 10m/s, and you can increase that further with chipsets.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just finished it last night -- I blew up the station, then saved/reloaded to get some other endings (nullwave transmitter, blow up the station but escape using EP101, escape without blowing up the station). Now I want to do another run, possibly human-neuromods-only (perhaps even human neuromods only + killing everyone, since I really want to see how that plays out at the end, but I also want to see what happens if I save Dahl and give everyone a way off the station since I totally didn't do that this time.

I did find it kind of odd that escaping the station, packed full of typhon neuromods, while everyone else dies because I killed Dahl doesn't seem to change anything compared to blowing up the station and everyone in it including myself.

I'm also not sure if I want to do human mods only on Hard or Nightmare, since I found Normal a bit too easy, or if I want to dial it down to Easy and just blast through it since I won't have access to the psi powers, which I leaned on really heavily. They're just so drat fun! And Bronson Elazar didn't seem to mind me at all using them in the cargo bay, although a few people in this thread have posted that humans freak out if you use the mimic powers around them -- apparently shooting lightning out of your brain is less startling.

Between all-human/all-typhon and kill-everyone/save-dahl paths to explore, I feel like there's at least two replays left in this, but between the 3yo eating most of my gaming time and my girlfriend waving NieR: Automata at me every time I stand still I don't know if I'll have the time! Especially since I still need to play Dishonored 2.

DLC Inc posted:

it's interesting to see how people react to the ending when or if they never bothered to do the December "ending" as I feel that was what ultimately set off an alarm in my head about what was going on.

I didn't get that ending until the same session I got all the other endings in, but I predicted relatively early -- I think after reading the notes about mirror neurons in Psychotronics and coming into contact with coral in GUTS -- that we were actually a T. Anthrophantasmus implanted with Morgan's memories, after some disaster befell her that her "return to Earth" was a cover for; my wife, watching over my shoulder, independently predicted that we were in a simulation a little while later. It was pretty cool to find out at the end that we were both right.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Just got to psychotronics, but took a detour to the shuttle bay, and holy loving poo poo aaaaaaaaaaaa. I jump at most of the mimics breaking their cover and I hate myself for it. I also have yet to hack anything. After trying it once, I realized it was dumb and figured I could find my way into most things without it. So far so good.

Wait, how do you get to the shuttle bay that early? I couldn't get in there until the very end of the game.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 14, 2017

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Vakal posted:

I think it is just locked with the general access card on the door in the main lobby. So you can go there after the hardware labs stuff.

Not that there's a big reason to do so. The techno path in there is pretty rough that early in the game.

On my first playthrough I ended up facing down the Technopath in Neuromod Fabrication really early on thanks to foamstairing my way up to the second floor (and getting the fabrication pattern there way earlier than expected, I think). So another technopath wouldn't have been that big a deal, I think.

Another thing I just realized about the ending: despite saving Alex, he never sent me any other messages after the "thanks for saving me" message I got, not even when I activated the self destruct. Seems odd, he's so insistent that blowing up the station is the wrong thing to do up until that point. Maybe January assassinated him off screen before meeting me at the bridge?

E:my 3yo saw me noodling around in the lobby and now he's standing in Morgan's office firing nerf darts out the window and periodically getting me to fabricate more :3:

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 14, 2017

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Vakal posted:

Did you fabricate and place the improved nullwave bomb into the coral core? If you didn't I don't think Alex even bothers to show up on the bridge.

Yeah, I did both the nullwave bomb ending and the self destruct ending, and in both cases January shows up on the bridge, and Alex not only doesn't show up, he doesn't even send me a v-mail about how happy/disappointed he is that I'm saving/destroying the station, which seems weird.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Stun gun is definitely the best weapon in the game, no doubt about that at all.

Wait, what? I recycled all the stunguns I found because I found it completely unusable -- it takes so long to charge up a shot when you pull the trigger that by the time it actually fires, whatever you wanted to zap with it is right up in your face loving you up and you would have been better off using a shotgun.

Is this one of those weapons that's totally useless out of the box but becomes really good when upgraded?

Vakal posted:

That sounds like something glitched out then.

Disappointing. :( I'll just tell myself that January killed him off screen when I wasn't paying attention and hope it works properly next time.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Vakal posted:

Fully upgraded the stun gun will kill all operators in 1-2 shot and will take out a techno path in like 3.

With recharged maxed out the shots charge up in like a second.

A one-second delay between pushing the button and lightning coming out is still really long, but maybe I'll give it a shot on my no-typhon run.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

The ending felt pretty weird and tacked on. i don't really care for the twist but i AM interested in what happened in reality...like morgan's failure, what happened to them, the way the outbreak on earth happened. i hope that stuff is the focus of some dlc.

It didn't really feel tacked-on to me at all; there are plenty of hints throughout the game as to what's actually going on and a lot of other stuff that makes sense as pointing to that in retrospect (like all those books about "the evacuation" which I now suspect are about the Typhon invasion of Earth).

That said, I agree that I'd love to see some DLC focusing on what really happened outside the simulation.

I've also been wondering just how much of what you experience is simulated and how much is remembered events as they actually happened to Morgan. Like, for all I know Morgan died in the arboretum or something, and everything you play up until that point is "what really happened" and everything after that is the simulation.

quote:

(i never killed a video game human after dishonored because the game wouldnt let me play the final level)

Chaos in Dishonoured doesn't affect whether you can play the final mission or not, although it does affect things like number of enemies and what ending you get; if it wouldn't let you play the final level that was a bug, not a result of high chaos.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

ah, I didn't mean that it wasn't foreshadowed or anything. just that it didn't feel very fleshed out? Like, it's pretty short and just consists of the robots summarizing what you did in a very 'video gamey' way. TALLYING GOODNESS POINTS....

Yeah, that's fair. There were definitely some things I expected to cause changes that didn't, like escaping the exploding station vs. staying and dying.

Clearly Prey 2 needs to be an Arkane/Obsidian collaboration :getin:

InAndOutBrennan posted:

The main thing I took from this post is that you have both a wife and a girlfriend. ToxicTonySoprano.

Yes. They have pretty different tastes in games, though.

quote:

But you're right there's a couple of more playthroughs in there. The only one that is a bit of a hassle is the no mods one.

I'm probably not going to do no-mods; that sounds more tedious than it does fun, honestly.

I think my next run is going to be Impossible (unless that gets too frustrating without psi powers to abuse), human mods only, kill everyone except Dahl and then escape with him.

If this doesn't get some sort of :wtf: reaction from Alex at the end I'll be very disappointed.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 14, 2017

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

The stun gun definitely is great, did you try using it on larger enemies or operators? It trivializes a lot of the harder encounters

I tried using it on the operators and mimics in Hardware Labs, but found that the lengthy charge-up time hosed with my reflexes so much I couldn't actually hit anything with it and eventually dumped it in a recycler in frustration. I didn't hang on to it long enough to try using it on a Technopath or the like.

quote:

If you save him, Alex will show up on the bridge regardless of which ending you choose so your game was definitely just not recognizing that he was saved

The weird bit is that it did recognize that I saved him at first, since he sent me a v-mail thanking me for saving him! So at some point it forgot, I guess?

Maybe he went wherever my golden pistol went when it evaporated into thin air just after I finished fully upgrading it :argh:

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 14, 2017

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Started my replay (human mods only; everyone dies) and I just made it to the GUTS. This is refreshing my memory of the earlier bits of the game, and I can now pin down exactly when I started suspecting that I was actually a Typhon implanted with Morgan's memories after something bad happened to her: most of the way through Psychotronics, after seeing the Weaver and Volunteer 13.

I don't remember how much of this I consciously noted at the time, but Psychotronics is when a bunch of hints start getting dropped in rapid succession:

- Alex talking about how the Typhon don't have mirror neurons and thus can't empathize with other living things
- Audio logs and emails discussing the possibility of implanting mirror neuron analogues and human memories into a Typhon
- January commenting on your actions and conspicuously emphasizing that, unlike January herself, Morgan is human (a pattern that started earlier and continues throughout the game)
- Alex talking wistfully about his sister and regretting letting her get involved with the experiments

And then shortly after that you have the visions/voices when you touch a large mass of coral for the first time in the GUTS which just strengthens that theory.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I'm on my first run just lifted lockdown. I haven't actually given myself any Typhon neuromods yet because it feels... like a bad idea. But I've nearly maxxed out human.

Mechanically, the only real difference is that turrets will attack you if not hacked and the Nightmare will show up more often. I don't know what the plot ramifications are because I've only done a high-typhon run, though -- I'm now halfway through a pure-human run, just made it to Deep Storage.

quote:

That said, the most useful power of all thus far is the ARTAX v1+v2. Gliding around in normal gravity is so handy. And I end up doing fancy jumps and shotgunning Typhon from mid-air 90% of the time now just cos it's cool.

Oh yeah, the v2 is an easy choice for "best chipset in the game". And you can get it the first time you visit the Hardware Labs if you know where to look! I did that on my current run, and while I'm not sure it's let me get into any places I couldn't have before using foam or the like, it's definitely made things a lot convenient.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

hampig posted:

A little surprised that the ending is tough on a typhon-only run though. I played a hybrid run and you can just mindjack the nightmare every time it shows up and psychoshock anything else. I used all of my satellite charges to call my pet nightmare in to clear out rooms for me. Maybe higher difficulties it doesn't last as long?.

On a hybrid run you end the game as a terrifyingly brutal asskicker who can drop-kick the Nightmare straight into a recycler without breaking stride and erase an entire room of phantoms in half a second.

On a pure-Typhon run, though:
- you can't upgrade any weapons past L1, or upgrade your inventory capacity, so you're much more reliant on psi powers;
- medkits and food are much less effective, so you need more of them while being able to carry less;
- you're limited to only two suit and scope chipsets;
- and you can never upgrade the psi pool that powers all those cool Typhon abilities.

I haven't tried pure-Typhon yet, but it doesn't surprise me at all that it would be harder than either pure-human or hybrid.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

oh that's something I was wondering when I was playing the game. like what is going on in the background when you're not in an area. Are the turrets just automatically breaking over time? I read one steam thread from a guy who said he put reinforced ones on the roof of the greenhouse and they were still broken when he came back to them later.

I kind of got the feeling as I was playing that they just automatically broke down. Initially I was setting them up pre-emptively so that maybe when I came back through, the area would be relatively safe, but it was always a disaster zone

A few people elsewhere in the thread have reported success carpeting areas in turrets and then hearing them fighting enemies when they zone back in. IME turrets are really hard to use effectively, though; a single bolt from a phantom will knock them over and then they're useless (and helpless) even if not destroyed.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Anticheese posted:

What do you mean 'implies'? I'm pretty sure in my first run I saw January straight-up blast December when I went to go and meet it in the Neuromod division.

If, like I did my first time through, you get Neuromod Division and Psychotronics Division confused and spend enough time wandering around Psychotronics looking for December, January will kill it off screen -- you get a message from it asking where you're going, which is then interrupted, and January contacts you shortly afterwards telling you not to trust December. It's pretty clear that January destroyed it but it's not outright stated.

Pyromancer posted:

October is the half-disassembled operator connected to terminal in Morgan's room in Crew Quarters.

Yeah, I don't think it was "pre-memory-loss Morgan" who left that note. One of the transcribes mentions that Morgan has requisitioned "enough parts to make half a dozen Operators from scratch" or something to that effect; I think she just really likes having them as backup, and since the station wasn't in immediate danger when she started work on October, December and January hadn't revealed themselves yet, so she thought it was the first one.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

The entire section with those hunter killer operators was a complete joke with enough hacking and a GLOO gun. I was kinda sad to see them stop spawning. If I heard the dispenser start up to make another I'd come running, eagerly awaiting more lasery death to add to my horde.

I found hacking annoying enough as a minigame that I didn't do it unless I had to, so my approach was to put the mind whammy on some of them and let them fight it out with each other somewhere around the ceiling while I walked past unmolested.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I think I might have broken some event triggers on my human-upgrades-only, everyone-dies-except-Dahl run.

I just left the cargo bays for life support, and a few minutes later got a message from January talking about how she's proud I helped the survivors in the cargo bay and gave them hope, even if it's only for a little while. The problem is, it didn't go down like that -- I set up the turrets to get the code to the door, then shut off all the turrets, opened the door, and walked away as phantoms slaughtered everyone. I deliberately sabotaged their defences to ensure that they would all die.

Now I'm wondering if this means the endgame will come to the wrong conclusions about this as well.

Wolfsheim posted:

Hey gang I just started playing this in the last few days and its very good so far but I'm pretty bad at it! Some questions:

-I just made it to the Arboretum and when I tried to unfuck the elevator there was a technopath in a small space that murdered me handily. Was that a warning sign saying 'come back later' or was I missing an obvious trick?

EMP grenades and/or the stungun will temporarily stun the Technopath and completely gently caress up the turrets/operators it's controlling. The stungun, in particular, is ridiculously good once upgraded.

There are also a bunch of psi abilities that are good against technopaths -- Machine Mind will let you steal its minions, and Electrostatic Burst is an at-will EMP grenade that also does loads of damage -- but if you just reached the Arboretum you probably don't have those yet.

quote:

-For combat prowess, should I max the wrench or keep buffing the shotgun like I've been doing?

Shotgun is great for up close and personal work, but damage drops off fast with range. It synergizes well with the stungun, since this lets you stun the enemy, run right up to its face, and open fire; and since it's stunned it'll take bonus damage. This combo will one-shot a Weaver with an upgraded shotgun.

Wrench isn't worth it past the early game unless you're feeling nostalgic; even on Impossible ammo is plentiful enough not to worry about.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

Whew! Thanks for the advice guys, I just beat this today although for whatever reason I still found technopaths and telepaths to be the hardest, damage-spongiest enemies in the game, even after I reached a point where I was clowning on nightmares with ease.

Wolfsheim posted:

Wow I'm dumb! That's kind of great, though the Wahl section is probably the low point of the game just because of how until fighting operators is.

Stungun. Stungun stungun stungun. Upgrade it and it'll one- or two-shot operators (while also disabling them if the first shot doesn't kill them), stun telepaths for ages, and stun and damage technopaths (in addition to completely loving up their pet turrets and operators). And once stunned they take extra damage. :v:

I ignored the stungun on my first playthrough because it's so awful when you first get it, and once I had typhon powers, why bother? But upgrade it (focus on charge speed and stun duration first, then range and ammo efficiency) and it becomes a total beast.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MikeJF posted:

The reward is fantastic, especially if you do it as early as possible. Just don't cheat for the code.

"As early as possible" is at the very end of the game, though, since you can't get the last map until Deep Storage and you can't get back to Crew Quarters until after you reset the power. :confused:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

What's going on with that new system shock game? Have we got any gameplay video for it yet?

I've been deliberately avoiding information, since both SSR and SS3 are going to be in development for a while longer yet and I'll just drive myself insane otherwise, but IIRC a new dev video for SSR was released recently. Not sure about SS3.

Vakal posted:

The sad part is that this game would probably have sold three times as many copies or more if they could have only gotten the rights to call it "System Shock 3".

I know that was probably never an option, but anything else they could have called it would have been better than "Prey".

Yeah. :(

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

HELLBITCH posted:

Prey is one of the few games that has come out in the past few years I have enjoyed, its hilarious that it performed terribly as a product despite being such a stellar game.

This is pretty much every single game Looking Glass ever released, so Arkane is following in LGS's footsteps in more ways than one. :negative:

turn off the TV posted:

They should have called it Psychoshock.

For me at least, Bioshock leaned so heavily on "look, it has Shock in the name" and was such a disappointment in the end that I think this would have actually have turned me off. As it is I picked it up not really expecting anything beyond "it's Arkane so it'll probably be alright" and was very pleasantly surprised to discover that they'd gotten bored of !Thief and turned their hand to !System Shock.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zushio posted:

On the talk of the ending did anyone else notice the brief flicker right as you get turned around?

I spent some time looking and during that brief flicker you can see all the operators that were talking to you, but Alex is missing. That alone has me asking more questions than anything else.

What flicker? I just re-watched the ending looking specifically for this and saw nothing. Are you sure it wasn't just a rendering glitch on your machine?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

regular mike posted:

I remember reading a few logs that mention a "completely dark" space station and players have concluded that those were probably meant to be hints for a DLC we'll never get to see but so what the hell is this thing?

I thought the "dark station" was the Argus Platform, the station that Dahl launches from when the BoD tells him to kill everyone on Talos.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

vorebane posted:

The Argus Station has a name though, and therefore is not the black site that is too secret to be anything but a vague mystery.

The people who refer to it as the "dark station" are people who wouldn't necessary know about the Argus Platform, though? IIRC Alex is the only person who mentions Argus by name, while the dark station you read about in a report by one of the shuttle pilots who is basically told to fly straight and forget he saw anything.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

vorebane posted:

Maybe then, but it seems odd to me that they'd be keeping Dahl close enough to Talos 1 that the player can spacewalk over there.

They aren't? To be clear, I'm talking about the dark station as described in game, not the thing regular mike found that no-one knows what it is. I'm not saying that thing is the dark station; I'm saying I think the Argus Platform and the dark station described by the shuttle pilot are the same thing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

aniviron posted:

I've said it before in this thread and I will say it again: Arkane has the best level designers in the games industry. There's so much going on in the levels in Dishonored and Prey, yet it's always presented in a way that makes you feel smart for figuring it out right away instead of overwhelming you.

AIUI, Arkane scooped up some developers from LGS after it folded (and it's clear that they have a lot of love for LGS's games in general). LGS had the best level designers in their day, and I'm glad to see that tradition continuing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ZearothK posted:

Hell, I want them to do a Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri game now if they're going through Looking Glass' ouvré. I don't think any sci-fi shooter has come close to doing what that game had going for it.

I feel LGS was the greatest loss the game industry ever suffered, and yeah, Arkane is definitely their successor.

SFC has a legacy of sorts in the form of Tribes, but yeah, a new singleplayer SFC game would be aces.

aniviron posted:

Sounds a bit weird to say but I almost don't want them to work on an existing franchise. They make such cool new IPs on their own, it seems a shame to waste that.

I'm pretty sure they mean Arkane should do a Deus Ex game in the same sense that Arx Fatalis, Dishonoured, and Prey were new Ultima Underworld, Thief, and System Shock games respectively.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

IMJack posted:

They really should let you set hotkeys to the powers as well as the weapons.

They do? Open the scroll menu and press number keys, same as the weapon hotkeys.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

double nine posted:

they should have CTRL/Shift+hotkeys because there are far too many weapons and powers to fit on just 10 functions.

The fact that the Dark Engine let you bind any keystroke including modifiers to anything¹ is a great but underappreciated bit of UX.

¹ except psi powers in SS2 for some reason

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

vorebane posted:

I want this but you realize Arkane will give Faith rocket power grappling hooks or something right?

This game already exists, is called Cloudbuilt, and kicks rear end.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

Oh my god, those freaking laser robots. I'm probably being overdramatic, since I played the game in a couple of concentrated doses, but I can't remember anything else that made me go from "This is awesome" to "f*** this" so quickly, except maybe that time my conflicted everyman in a mundane setting turned into an aztec sun god and had a kung-fu battle with the internet on the side of a building.

:wtc:

quote:

Out of curiosity, was there supposed to be a good way to handle them? The few times when I had to fight them I'd use recycler charges, but the instant they appeared I basically just stopped bothering to sneak/explore, and simply sprinted through every room, catching a few stray lasers in the rear for my trouble.

In addition to the aforementioned stungun, ESD, and EMP grenades, the Machine Mind ability will take over one and then all the others will fight it instead of you. By the time it dies Machine Mind will be off cooldown. You can also inhibit their respawning by spraying foam all over the operator dispensers.

But yeah, stun gun is the pro-est of robot killing weapons.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

Even still, project directors exist to advocate for their projects to the people who hold the purse strings. I hold out a sliver of hope for DLC (hell I’ll take a full implementation of the survival elements) but a second game is pretty much out of the question.

560k, though, is an extremely low number, like Alpha Protocol bad, and multiple platforms multiply expected sales. Alien Isolation sold more than a million copies (release and discounted) and SEGA still killed the franchise, even if SEGA was in a pretty desperate place at that point and had high expectations. Prey could double its PC numbers over a holiday sale (it won’t even sell close to that) and it would still be a failure.

That 560k is Steam only, so it doesn't include PS4 or XBone numbers. No idea on other platforms, and the wiki page is useless and only talks about sales in the UK (and only relative to Doom and Mario Kart 8, no actual numbers).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

precision posted:

Makes a lot more sense to just say "We're not giving this game a score because we couldn't finish it".

I'm kind of baffled by the implicit assumption here that reviewers usually finish games at all.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Dear mods, talking about marketing - please can we get a title change?

Prey - Hot Half-Asian inserts foreign objects while brother watches.

That was the previous title of this thread, though :confused:

ZearothK posted:

I was completely indifferent about this game despite being a fan of everything Arkane put out until word of mouth reached me with "it's actually the System Shock successor we were waiting for", so yeah, marketing dropped the ball. Hard. Which is a shame, because this is an amazing product and I would have loved to see a sequel of it.

Yeah, pretty much the same (although I heard about it from other places first and then went and looked for this thread).

OTOH, if they had marketed it as a spiritual successor to System Shock, I would have been extremely suspicious and suspected Bethesda talking about things they have no clue about, especially considering what a disappointment the last game to get that marketing was.

precision posted:

Yeah I can go with that.

I guess I should play System Shock one of these days.

Yes. Yes you should.

These days you can even get the "enhanced edition", which supports mouselook and key remapping and (if you're running windows) requires no futzing around with dosbox.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dyz posted:

Get the enhanced edition. Having to turn by pointing to the side of the screen gets incredibly tedious.

What? You can use the keyboard to turn -- SS1 uses a modified WASD scheme, with SZXC to move, AD to turn, QWE to lean and RFV to look (and IIRC TGB to switch between standing/crouching/prone). There's also numpad-based controls, but I don't remember those offhand. Space jumps and Shift does double duty as "run" and "turn twice as fast". This also puts your hand in a good place for tab (switch weapons) and the number keys (toggle implants).

You can play it entirely as a mouse-driven game but that sounds extremely painful.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The earliest Q-beam you can get is in the test chamber in the Beams and Waves lab; it requires a spacewalk (which you'll be doing anyways) and Repair skill. You'll be going right past the thing you need to repair on your way to the lab keycard, so it doesn't take you out of your way at all. Once you've done that it has no other prerequisites, just walk into the lab, unlock the test rig and pick it up.

If you missed that the next one is in the GUTS. It has no special requirements, but isn't immediately obvious, and the audio logs and emails pointing at it are mostly in the Beams and Waves lab, so you if you have the clues for it you probably also already have a Q-beam.

There's like half a dozen others scattered around the station too, and I think you can even eventually get a blueprint for them, but I haven't paid much attention to where because I just grab the one in B&W.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

I'm aware, I just think that the safe is another example of the pretty neat way they handled the level design and story in that game. There were a lot of moments in Prey where I did something that I figured the devs never intended me to do, like lean when watching that video or fly around the Talos 1 station despite only having one airlock open, only to find a cool reward or side area that still felt like it made perfect sense.

I'm pretty sure that's how you're expected to get the safe code; how else would you get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

A DLC where Typhon Morgan fights the Real Morgan would probably be GOAT or at least my DLOAT

I'm 95% sure that Real Morgan is very, and forever, dead.