Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

flatluigi posted:

prey does have a very good twist and it's in the introduction to the game. I've never really felt like the ending was supposed to be a similar big twist inasmuch as it's an extension of that original one

Yeah, the very start of the game is explicitly telling you to question whether everything you perceive is real or true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

kneelbeforezog posted:

About the end and the nature of the typhoid. I dont recall really getting it. I understood you played the enemy alien, but as a separate entity from the rest of the typhoid sentient being, but what was the plan? to use you as a diplomat as a list ditch attempt to undo earth losing to the other aliens?

Off the top of my head, since all of the other typhon are connected to each other via the coral, maybe the plan is to release modified material from the 'good' post-simulation Morgan Typhon into the general mass and leave it to spread?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Another point occurs to me about the morality we see in the central characters - We never see a version of Morgan that is pre-neuromod - all the emails/videos/audiologs are from a Morgan that has had neromods installed and removed many times, and it is commented on that Morgan's character is not reverting back to its original state after each removal. So was Morgan always a heartless psychopath, or did the neuromods make him/her more Typhon-like over time?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Phigs posted:

Right, but the point I was trying to make is that there are things that can break the audience's connection such that the underlying story doesn't matter. And Prey shifts the ground under your feet and then doesn't give any time for you to adjust to the change. I guess some people just adjust to the change and are fine with it. But for myself that apparently breaks my connection to the story and makes for a very unsatisfying ending.

Also I didn't dislike the whole thing, I just liked it less than I would have without the ending.

The first time I played it, the ending did leave me pretty disappointed, not so much by the actual ending on its own, but because the last few hours of playtime had been less fun than the rest of the game.

I've replayed Prey at least 5 times since, and while it is a different experience from going in blind, I can't say it's less enjoyable.
I'm someone who regularly rereads murder mysteries because I love seeing how the writer goes about setting up the eventual reveal, so I may be in an odd minority on this one.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Mr E posted:

I'm thinking about the door where it only opens after you kill literally every other single person in the game to get the code to kill the last 3-4 in that room. But, that's actually in IT security and I misremembered the location. I think that's the only door that requires something like that, the rest open with codes and such you find normally in the game or through a vent or whatever. There's probably a way to glitch into that room too tbh.

WTF??? Are you serious? I looked up how to get in there, and every result tells me it's completely inaccessible This is the room in the lobby, that's just off the blue-lit room full of servers which has 2 phantoms in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

If you are like me, and enjoy manipulating systems quietly, then mindjack is a really fun typhon skill.
From the way it was described, I assumed it only worked on humans, but it works on the typhon just as well.