Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For PC or just console?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm genuinely intrigued by the story and have plot theories. I guess a decade of Bioshocks/Dishonored hasn't spoiled my love of guns+spells+genetic mutation but I felt like I was getting totally slaughtered on normal, and I usually play every FPS on hardest settings because I've been gaming for like 20 years.

I think breaking out of your apartment is one of my favorite reveals ever and I really want to know what's going on with the Yu family. Why is Alex so shady, what role do his board of director parents play?

Played demo on XBone, but will buy on PC because I think M+KB will fix most of the issues I have with this game.

In general this game is creepier than the other Shocks or Arkane games, I really hope they maintain this level of tension throughout.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One thing that that persists through both Dishonored games and this that always kinda miffs me if how they lock move speed and jump buffs behind runes/neuromods. Since I was like 7 years old, I beeline for every movespeed buff because if i know i can be going FASTER my brain is wired so that I am just having LESS FUN until I have those maxed out. Seeing the movespeed and jump being universally panned on forums makes me feel like maybe you should just either

A) not make them fiddily and just give you both of those things maxed out when you get your first mod, to kind of simply illustrate the change your body goes through immediately upon being modded/enchanted... I think this is lazy but prefferable to current system

or B) make it a Threshold mechanic, where no matter what you invest in, you automatically get health boosts, move speed and jump buffs for every 5/10/15 neuromods you install, to illustrate a sense of progression over the course of the game.

the only thing the current system caters too is people like me who know their own playstyle and would rather bum rush it. My argument is that going faster and jumping higher are probably just as valuable to every playstyle and also keep me from going towards the cooler, munique aspects of the combat system until after my OCD is appeased.

GOTTA GO FAST, basically

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One thing I am very curious about is enemy models.

Every humanoid you encounter will just be a male/female head on a jumpsuit or labcoat, but is every alien gonna be just squiggly black lines? I'm hoping for some cool boss fights and set piece battles but enemy variety could be a stumbling block.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The "I'm just gonna give myself 1,000x the maximum dose of something to become God" trope is SO loving BORING every single time and I really hope that by 2017 Arkane figured out that you don't need a story to hit the same 10 beats that FPS have been hitting since '96...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Dapper_Swindler posted:

and he is also your brother.

and your parents are board members of this company and I'd be surprised if they don't show up

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Its p dope that one of the moss decorated developers in immersive first person gaming is literally shouting out to us because we manage to slightly elevate ourselves above the typical online gaming rabble rousers...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
wow its like reading this thread with nothing to do on a Friday night just surgically extracted $50 from my wallet and in about 30 minutes I'll be injecting alien enzymes into my brain...

Honestly I got burned pretty bad by following goon group think into neir Automata (Played through Ending A, realized I hated hacking and havent touched it since) but i know from playing the demo on my step-dad's X-box 1 that this game is 100% my poo poo so i'm willing to eat the loss if it ends up being too scary for me.

Do the higher difficulty modes feel fair? I like to play on the hardest settings whenever possible.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For the first time in like 10 years I'm playing through this type of game with no walkthrough. I'm answering every question honestly and speccing into the mods I need when I need them.

Just got to my 1st [spoilers]airlock[/spoilers] and feel like the game is opened up enough for me. The only thing I'm tempted to spoil is where to get this shotgun everyone is so hype on but I'm sure I'll find it soon.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL at the people saying "System Shock 2 was scary and this isn't!"

Uh you were 9-13 when you played SS2 and it was probably the scariest pixelated zombie robot boob you had ever seen!

Now we're all basically grown adults, of course it's different!

I haven't been this immersed in a game in years. I was clumsily picking my way through the Arboretum and trundled into a nest of mimics in a pond. The last one scurried towards a waterfall and I kept towards it, swinging my wrench like Mjollnir...

and suddenly I was falling 20 feet into a sub-basement... this game is amazing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Psychoshock completely changed my playstyle. I was skulking around before but I just took out a Nightmare, Weaver, and a telepath in the Lobby.

The nightmare is a very cool enemy and I was scared of them but now in basically half Typhon through mods and I am going to alpha dog all these squiggly bitches.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 10, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm not sure how balanced I am being since I've probably crafted about 20-25 Neuromods but I feel like the skill tree is super bloated and am very pumped to complete this hard mode run and do a Typhon only Nightmare playthrough.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Good! I almost caved and tried to cheat I'm glad it's getting patched

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
On PC I hated the hacking mini-game but honestly at 20 hours playtime I'm basically just doing them effortlessly, drifting through narrow halls and tight corners.

I feel like the max level of Electrostatick should just auto hack if able.

Does anyone notice any difference with the audio? I played for about 4-5 hours post patch last night and didn't really notice anything different and if anything feel like everything is WAY quieter now. I pretty much leave my desktop monitors on 45-50% for everything but the music isn't slapping me in the face like it was, and honestly I'd gotten so used to it that I missed it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Stealth seems worthless utterly.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok I finished my Hard mode run, I'm going to start concurrent Nightmare empathy playthroughs and a normal typhon only murder everyone forever run and play whichever one seems more fun.

The one thing I think would have really served the game and could have very easily added a few hours of content would be another neuromodded up bad guy, a la' Samus-X from Metroid Fusion. I know the Nightmare sort of fullfills this role, but one thing people mentioned was missing the body horror of Bio/system shock, so it would have been cool if we ended up with a spliced up co-worker whose all twitchy and veiny and smoky and wasting tons of people and they get progressively more spliced up as you go through the game. Hell, even set it up so that if you go Typhon only they are more humanoid and tech oriented to make it more like they are the hero and you are the boss monster.

Regarding the ending I think the game this is the most reminiscent of is actually MGS 2. Talos 1 incident was real and your playthrough is a reconstruction of memory data created from video and audio logs from the wreckage or research satellites. I think the ending is cool because the story that you just experienced still happened and was real.

I definitely correctly assumed that you are a Typhon but had no idea about the greater simulation and don't really get any of those clues. I also skipped at least 4-5 big side quests and a few rooms.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Sequel:

You are the Typhon we play as in Prey. The Talos 1 wreckage crashed into Earth, spreading the Typhon across the Earth. Since you are mostly a Typhon, you are capable of finding the huge cluster where the Apex/Coral come from by touching the coral, so Earth has you Suicide to the center of the Typhon. The Final Boss is actually the original Morgan that built January, now fully subsumed by Typhon, and the ending is either you killing them to become Supreme Typhon or Freeing Earth

You could explore abandoned cities, Typhon animals, psychic mutations and the very last thing could be Win-or-Lose the other aliens January worried about show up!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
^^^^^^
first spacewalk on my second playthrough, I noticed a large moon-like object farther away than our moon, but with huge chunks of it torn out and hosed up. I thought it was the moon, but then turned around and saw the actual massive moon.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
in a sense what you are describing is in the game, it's just that instead of cobbling things together like Warhammer 40K Orks, you are literally scrapping everything down to it's molecular component pieces and then using them as legos for things like bullets and lasers.

Too me the greatest "classic" weapons line up will be Bioshock, because of the weirdly visceral joy I experienced from upgrading my toys at Power to the People stations and seeing the cogs and wires and stuff that was getting glued to my guns and making them look all weird.

DESPERATION EDIT: Is there anyway on earth for me to get the DLC if i didn't Pre-order? I was on the fence until launch day but seeing that Margrave is making me unreasonably jealous and I waaaaaaaaant it. Is there any way short of buying the game again (I won't do this)

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 22, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Morgan Yu is kind of an amazing character to explore. As a protagonist, a scientist, a minority face for a triple AAA game, and as a villain

As the game progresses we get to see these different slices of Morgan and while it all sort of coagulates into a scientist aboard Talos 1, there are enough facets and loose ends that make it so every play style can be explained by one of their plot points.

Like you could definitely make a case for Morgan being the Main Villain. They developed Typhon Neuromods and sacrifice human 'volunteers' for the sake of science and research and even in the face of "this poo poo is totally hosed up" at least one version of Morgan believes that literally murdering every single human being on board Talos 1 is their best plan. Your parents own it, but you are the one conducting all this research in the first place.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If Talos 1 crashed into Prague and a fully Neuromodded Morgan Yu had to go head-2-head with a fully overclocked Adam Jensen, who comes out on top?

Like obviously the flaming Talos 1 wreckage and the blast zones of Prague would be full of :

-hackable turrets, cameras and robots
-trash cans full of healthy food
-Audiologs bequeathing safe codes, item cache locations, or just good ol fashion world building

I like Morgan's chances at face value but then I picture Adam stealthing in, Typhooning a room, and chain blink-expolodes while being invulnerable.

Aug with Alien Genomes or Aug with good ol' Carbon Fiber with gold accents?

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 28, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
^^people who craft medlits^^

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One feather in Prey's cap is how many different posts in this thread were "I just got X and now I'm not scared any more."

For me it was Psychoshock, but I know Security, Leverage 3, Combat Focus have all been different breaking points in the game, and I'd like to think that the gradual shift from feeling like Prey to feeling like a Predator could be a nod towards the unaffiliated title. I also think better nightmare AI for each typhon mod installed and a second neuromodded NPC antagonist could have contributed to that as well.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well they bought that defunct space station so probably some kind of globalist zeal, but there is a dope email about how they conduct all their research up there because there aren't any laws in space.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah around release one of the Devs had a very candid interview where they were about to go Gold and an exec came in and was like "focus testing says that without a final boss the game doesn't really feel like it ends so you need a final boss" and they were like "uhhhh dude we are like, DONE" and he was like " yeah but you have 2 days to design, code, and implement a final boss"

E:F,B

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My preferred method of FPS is save scumming so that my actual playthrough is composed of one dude, be it Adam Jensen, Corvo, or Ms. Morgan Yu just perfect scoring every single John Wu fight scene in one masterstroke after another.

Prey is built this way, Dishonored is and from what I played in the Demo it seems at least Emily's playstyle is very much defined by moving through people quickly.

I think that while they are far from perfect, I'm comfortable saying that they are very clever people and they get more right than they get wrong!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The ludicrous amount of weapon upgrade kits the game throws at you without fabricating any is one of Prey's biggest strengths. All of my guns should be cool!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Every enemy in Prey is countered by a grenade of some kind. The game gives you a ton of everything if you explore half of the zones you are in.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have very strong buyers remorse about paying full price for Neir: Automata and am waiting for Dishonored 2 to go on sale but I have no reservations recommending this for $60. I think it's also still in sale for $40 on PS4 this week.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'll respectfully disagree. I think Prey's gameplay evolves as the game progresses, you start as a dude with a wrench and taser and by then end of the game you could be a jet-packing pyrokinetic with a shadow-blink and super strength and laser guns. You can meaningfully switch up your approach to every encounter and the entire game is beatable using every play style.

In Neir, I feel like you are literally holding your dash button from plot point to plot point and then executing every single fight in basically exactly the same way start to finish. There is no combo system, every weapon seems equally good at every encounter, and discouraging lock-on is an unforgivably bad design decision.

And then to get to the "good" parts you have to do it all 3 times and change LoL, and when the gameplay DOES change, it's only to make the most annoying and momentum killing aspect of it a way bigger focus. I'll beat Neir this summer probably, but that was my first real case of "Do not always listen to goons, their threshold for artistic masterpiece seems a lot lower than mine and I am way less willing to forgive repetitive gameplay."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The ending could have used maybe one more new enemy type, as it is the endless respawning armored laser drones segment seems like the product of a concussion left untreated compared to the rest of the game.

It's been said many times but getting to fight another neuromodded human would have been loving sweet and it feels like a really glaring absence from the game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Or showing us Aphex Typhon but no boss fight, or literally having Alex//January kill each other instead of letting you do it or saving one new area for the finale. It's true you can just feel the time and resources running out.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dishonored 2 - an awesome game with almost no testing that launched horribly broken, sullying its name and tanking sales

Deus Ex: MD - a medium-to-good game released without any optimization and launched buggy and laggy and jaggy and with basically no important story beats in a game series that is utterly defined by its story. Studio execs decide to lock storylines and boss fights up in DLC that is never released, and the game series is shelved due to disappointing numbers

Prey- a great game launched with virtually no fanfare and somehow despite being mechanically sound and smooth to play, the sum of its marketing buzz was "COFFEE CUP!" and now the game will be reviewed as a commercial failure because no one knows what it is or why they would like it.

It's ALMOST as if a failure to support a game is a damning indictment of the publisher and not the dev team and canning a series that someone else made because you don't know how to sell it is KILLING my favorite series...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yo actually the chip that makes operators drop Q-Cell and Disruptor Ammo combined with the above perks just kind of make you an Operator Angel of Death.

Something else I love about Prey is that everything in the game becomes a resource and you can spec to abuse all of them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh dude that's not a bug the quest is literally just programmed to break the objective arrow when you get to the zone unless you have activated his tracking bracelet.

I'm on my 2nd play through and the double-jump boost chip is a hilarious game changer and definitely perfectly compliments the Slow Glide Chip and the mobility neuromods. Oh Prey, my EZ GOTY

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok, imagine if Bioshock had sections where you went outside in a cool scuba suit and there were big daddies to fight and weapons and bloated corpses to find weapons on...

Rapture tells a great story but I never ever bought that it could ever work or that you could ever convince anyone to move there.

Talos 1 feels solid and real and makes a believable amount of sense, which is a root of good science fiction.

I think that Prey gets by on everything looking sterile and clean but I agree that many areas of the game are homogenous to Raptures various layers of chaos. Infinite had a bunch of pretty poo poo front-loaded but once you start reality shifting the game devolves in 5-6 different pallette swaps of "giant two floor arena with on ramps and cover" and the original bioshocks are very cramped hallway shooters by design.

As a gamer of like 23 years I think the reason that shooting in Bioshock is superior tonPrey's is because the Typhon have no death animation, they just fizzle and die. Splicers bucked, flew backwards and physics flipped them around when you shot hem, it felt like you were doing something. Shooting something in Prey literally just makes your problems go away. In that sense Bioshock has superior combat because it feels better.

Bioshock has a better story and gunplay, and Inlove Rapture, but Prey is arguably the better game and is a game I will replay instead of Bioshock for years to come.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My job consists of my sitting in a tiny office watching people try to escape death traps all day and Im using most of my day dream budget imagining (F) Morgan Yu and Adam Jensen having a giant Neo//Agent Smith fight across Prague and it is making me hungry for a video game that will never exist :smith:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

Elaborate, if you can.

I manage a series of escape rooms in a very popular vacation destination in the US.

I'm finishing my Nightmare Human Only run through and while it isn't as OP as Psychoshock, I totally skipped Combat Focus on my first play through so it's been pretty fun breaking the game in that way

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 2, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think Prey would be an OBJECTIVELY better game if your inventory, suit chip, and psychoscope chip CAPACITY upgrades were craftable upgrades that you find schematics for instead of neuromods.

It's weird that you'd spend neuromods to be better at packing your suitcase or sewing more pockets on to your space pants when it's competing with super speed, super strength, or mind-lightning.

Making them equippable items that you craft used existing systems but keeps the neuromods more thematic, IMO.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

Ride the revolving billboard around the station for a while, facing the expanse. He's close enough to it that he shows up as a green blip when you pass by.

This method is foolproof albeit time-consuming.

QUESTION: does the game gain ANYTHING by letting you pick Morgan's gender? I just feel like if Morgan were canonically a woman and everyone played through as a woman we'd have a shot at a lasting protagonist, but making it RPG-ish by allowing player choice muddied the waters and makes it so nobody remembers Morgan, they only remember their Morgan.

After 2-3 playthrough I think making Morgan an Asian, female, gay scientist could have been an awesome hook that had potentially Gordon Freeman levels of cult following, but again, the decision being left to the player hurts the game, IMO.