Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Two things I missed on my 1st playthrough that instantly gave me a slightly deeper appreciation for the game was a) Finding the real Will Mitchell in the freezer and the audio diaries in Calvino's room where he details his weird struggle with memory problems.

I sort of assumed through different audio logs that the very first breach was likely a psychics ethereal phenomena. One of Calvino's looking glass visions or Morgan's dreams could be a strong enough psychic tether to pull a Typhon into our dimension. We have no concept of how they move through space without propulsion, but in as far as we know they seem to be life forms based off of psionic energy.

The mimics remind me of a plot device in a sci-fi//fantasy novel called The Scar, about a pirate city that summons its own Cthullu. In this book towards the end they meet these aliens who harness raw possibility as a resource. So like for example one of the pirates has a sword from these aliens, and when he uses it, it hits his target in every conceivable way that he could have hit them, simultaneously, basically leaving everyone a butchered pile of meaty strips after a single blow. They try to go into more detail at the tail end but it reminds a lot of the Typhon, in that they take this weird idea of psychic resonance and turn it into a food//communication system/possibly inter-dimensional transference mechanism. Aliens are scary because they are so totally unknowable, and that why he Typhon succeed at being good bad guys even if they have the least inspired art direction of any present day FPS (military shooters notwithstanding).

TYPHON EDIT: yo I just got to Deep Storage on my current human only run and a nightmare happened to spawn in the first room and it really changes the tone of Alex's speech at the beginning of that level from "keeping you out of trouble" to "oh you think you know what's going on, try this on for size!" and I appreciate this type of emergent gameplay theatrics.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Making of the Gloo Gun was linked a few pages back but it wasn't labeled as such and it's a pretty fun read for being a PC Gamer article. One of the highlights is the guy who designed the weapon lifting a tape deck to the ceiling, GLOOing it there, the shooting the GLOO when a phantom was standing under it and killing it, and thinking to himself "I literally made this and didn't think that would work. this is awesome".

Theres also a neat bit about how he woke up halfway through development like "wait why isn't this just an ice gun?" and then the whole team kind of sheepishly just ignoring it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I echo enemy variety but Prey has

A pistol and a shotgun (common)

The GLOO GUN

A long-range electrical stun gun

A radiation laser with infinite range and splash damage

A non-violent physics/trajectory gun

3 different grenades and a lure

4 kinds of psychokinetic attacks

The Lift Biotic ability from Mass effect

Like what other weapon did you want? I found the distinct lack of military grade weaponry to be a breath of fresh air and wish more games would dare to eschew assault and sniper rifles from every game. My only complaint is that EMP/NULLWAVE could have just been one item and the game would have been stronger for it, because it would require you to pick and choose more as opposed to just always have 5 of both on you and making it non-choice.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 14, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I definitely read a very detailed reddit(?) post about sound and data files for a gun that had an AI and would talk to you about what was going on and eventually you got a quest to either upgrade him into a killing machine or remake him into a reployer. The idea was supposed to be about how the AI learns from watching your behavior and will eventually beg you to either make him an upgraded evil killing machine or retire him from violence.

This was cool but they scrapped it because:

It was competing with January for disembodied robot voices talking to you

It felt weird to design an awesome gun that rewards you by removing itself from the game

It shed too much light on reployers

This reminds me a lot of Steve (& Super Steve) from Dark Cloud, but I'd rather get a new enemy type than a new gun.

I'll scream it from the mountaintops but give me a Typhon SA-X... like a MY-T

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Whee! I found a PC DLC code for $3 online and now I'm gonna do a funny Russian Morgan//Typhon playthrough where I just make bad Boris//Natasha jokes and only use golden guns.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It's important to point out that Hacking 1 costs 1-2 neuromods and hacking 2 costs 4, but there is literally a safe in the lobby of psychotronics that require hacking 2 and the contents are 4 neuromods.

Subsequent hacking upgrades have similar returns.

Reading the patch notes, Repair improving suit repair kits seems like such a huge "Duh" I'm really surprised that didn't make it into game. Now we just need Fortify Turrets to persist between loading screens for it to not be totally wasted.

And for the love of god let me craft the loving chips I want. Running a Typhon build without the chip the refills your PSI when you touch the neural pathway is awful.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
PSI hypos are for humans pretending to understand their psychic abilities. I'm a Typhon and won't stoop to such barbarism...

(I will spike the water with infinite PSI however)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I skipped the "extra organs" neuromods on my first playthrough and I'm just about to hit dahl on my 2nd and have approximately 40 more neuromods on this file than my completed game. It doesn't seem amazing right away but it absolutely makes a difference.

I recycle all the processed food for minerals and save the organic food for healing items. There's a surprising amount of metal in the chips and cookies, neat converting it into bullets.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The thing about Prey is that it has a pretty gripping intro and then before you know it the systems have unlocked and your recycling and murdering and looting and questing.

Get Prey, it's very good, even considering a kinda weak ending sequence. Bioshock and System Shock both have bad endings and they're both seminal FPS experiences, Prey is better than both of those, at least in terms of gameplay. Prey's weaknesses are lack of enemy diversity and the ending. Some people think the weapons are boring and while I disagree, I do think they lack the oomph of dedicated deathmatch games like DOOM, like they have low feedback, but otherwise they are all fun to use.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Digirat posted:

I thought it destroyed all the other plot, choices and worldbuilding.

I can see why anyone could arrive here, but I interpret the game as like the story of MGS 2. The game we play is an exact replica of what happened the day Talos 1 crashed into Earth, and we're just experiencing what Morgan did as our "Morgan". The story, plot and world that we experience in the game are all real, it all happened just not when we experience it if that makes sense.

I think this way the ending creates a greater narrative that has room to grow, instead of just ending when everything explodes or whatever.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm willing to bet that as brilliant neuro-biologists Alex and Morgan kept their own DNA on file just as a matter of principle.

We also don't know that Morgan died.

I think the best sequel would be a game where you play as Typhon Morgan and the main antagonist is human Morgan who is now like a crazy neuromod god. I don't think I've ever seen this in a game or movie.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

A.o.D. posted:

Would you kindly rethink that?

I am unironically owned, and doff my cap to you.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I actually thought the storyline of Prey, the way they incorporated Native Mysticism and specifically the endings were all pretty great and I remember loving it on my 360.

I'm also remembering The Darkness and now I want Prey 2 to get some of those tentacle mechanics.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
there would be literally no difficulty curve whatsoever.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Your Suit never getting upgraded and chips requiring neuromods to equip feels so clunky. Why isn't upgrading your suit and it's chip capacity its own thing?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No DLC for this game is a loving crime.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Every single post in this thread that goes “its my first run and I’m using Human Only Powers!” just makes me feel like I had a better childhood than the poster because I am not afraid to try new things like alien gene therapy.

It’d be like posting in the GTA thread about how you walk everywhere, I just don’t understand why you’d limit yourself from using the most interesting tools in your set from the get go.

“Oh cool I am playing a cool game about psychic space alien magic powers! Let me just make sure I’m a regular guy with a gun and no special skills!”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

DelphiAegis posted:

Being able to leap 30 feet in the air, run like lightning, slow down time to the point that you can fire off a massive shotgun into the face of an alien in less than 5 subjective seconds is not what I call "no special skills"

TBH a human only run is easier than a typhon one.

Sure, but compared to “I’m blowing you up with my mind and making GBS threads lightning and teleporting behind you and exploding” running fast and jumping high aren’t different enough from any other FPS to get me excited, and Combat Focus is arguably the strongest skill in the game, but it actually works by allowing you to do less instead of more. Slowing down time to perfectly line up a headshot is more of the same kind of sideways-super power instead of the full on alien arsenal.

But I’m also the kind of person that thinks a “Mostly Flesh & Steel” Dishonored run sounds painfully unfun, so maybe I just hate playing as regular people in games

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Making your inventory part of your human upgrades and not part of your suit is why I will never do a Typhon only run

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but if can’t play SS3 as a bisexual Asian woman with a beast mode throwing arm then what is even the loving point

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Tumble posted:

Man I'm so crippled by my pack rat-ism. You would think that when I kill the very first Nightmare, in the 'Detour' part of the game, where you first gain access to Crew Quarters that I would be thrilled with how well it went. Null grenade, followed by some combat focus, then quickly tossing some recycle charges and bam, he's been reduced to pellets and I didn't lose any health. Heck I even tased the possessed crew members.

I should be thrilled, but part of me is like "But what if you needed those things you used?"

That’s the biggest enemy in the game. What else would you need those things for? That’s why you have them in the first place.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I went for Typhon shot on my first playthrough so about two hours into the game I was having full on Dragonball Z jet pack fights with those dudes, it’s a very fun game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A DLC where Typhon Morgan fights the Real Morgan would probably be GOAT or at least my DLOAT

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It would have been hype as gently caress to have a ship full of goggle-laden operators jump into the fray and immediately start making GBS threads themselves as you descend on them.

Like they could have really pushed the Human vs Typhon thing where you get different reactions based on your neuromodding and if you go full Typhon they act like you’re the Xenomorph from Alien, literally crawling around in the vents above them and then bursting out of the wall, throwing a couch at them and making their heads explode.

Why no Prey modding community? Why don’t I have 30 hours of DLC for this game!!!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Game needed 3-4 more enemies and a boss fight to be sure

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it would be a cooler way to flip the script if he had all the human mods.

The lasting appeal of Prey to me is the idea that Morgan is the Antagonist so the idea that Dahl is flying up to Talos like the hero of his own game and you waste him effortlessly always rubbed me wrong. I wanted him sprinting and throwing couches and shotgunning me in the face while I spaz out looking for a safe place to blink, transform and escape before I find a way to mind control him or make his head explode

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 8, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I bought Arx Fatalis on Steam for 40 cents, turned it on, played for 5 minutes and realized I am absolutely not one of those people who can play old video games.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I loved this game enough to buy a pre-order code from a black market Russian game sight just so my shottie would match my golden gun

I can think of lots of other ways to spend $3 that aren’t that good

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

LinYutang posted:

Also the soundtrack/staging was a real disappointment, after the sick intro there was really no comparable setpieces that gave you a "whoa" feeling.

The first time I walked into the Arboretum I gasped, because It was a little forest in space and the paranoid claustrophbia was really getting to me. I love heading to the fringes of outerspace, all the set pieces out there are really cool.

But I'll give it to you that the game doesn't do spectacle as well as it handles atmosphere.

Also if they make this DLC and you don't get that Mimic harvesting plasma knife as a weapon i will cry extremely big-girl tears

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If the DLC is you playing as Morgan, the bad guy should also be Morgan and you should ambiguously never get told specifically if you are the real Morgan or a Typhon clone

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

That’s a lot of people working on Prey over Arkane!!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

evilmiera posted:

Moonsharks man. The perfect predator.

Think about it. There's no air in space, so you can't hear Jaw's theme song before it strikes.

It would be much scarier if they used telepathy so you only heard the Jaws theme

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s so they can read social media and get a feel for their audiences general response and then they know which direction to push in

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well the other half of that is they probably can’t release it early, so if they announce the DLC now 3 month’s before we get it, they’ll eclipse their own hype. If hey wait until it’s a month away to announce it, we’ll care more at the right time and pre-order something we otherwise might have already forgotten about.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
and also the game came out like a year ago so why else would anyone still be in the studio working on stuff for the game

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No Mods/Flesh & Steel Runs make me think there’s someone out there at Arkane who literally doesn’t understand power fantasy or was like deeply pushing a survival horror aspect that no one else wanted because those mechanics are stupid.

Like I know you need brain worms to be a grown rear end adult who plays video james but playing these games without powers sounds just abysmal, because neither of these games really have the stealth or base combat to support those playthroughs not being massive exercises in tedium.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
First playthrough I went full Typhon and all other playthrough a weren’t even half as fun.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The ending was such a minimal blip on my radar for this game. The game itself was so amazing and fun, and I found the ending to be a very simple “oh that’s clever” kind of thing before immediately diving back in for another playthrough

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I honestly feel like anyone who finishes Prey and comes away thinking "And in the end, nothing you did matters" is either a fullbore sociopath IRL or just lacks extremely basic reading comprehension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve always head cannoned that body inventory mods are Neutral and not Human because the game is 100% better that way.