Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Same. Really the turrets are mild annoyances to both you once you are full of Typhon juice and to the Typhon themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Speaking of coral, I keep thinking of something I heard in the game but I'm not sure I'm getting it right. When you're analyzing coral for Alex, I thought he says something like he recognizes people in the structure of the coral, like the Typhon are building it out of the people they've consumed, which kind of makes sense. I had managed to spoil myself on the ending, and when I heard that comment I was sure it was going to turn out that you save the dead crew by extracting the information in the coral and stuffing it into robot bodies. This would explain why the epilogue characters from the simulation and presumably the actual event are operators rather than actual flesh and blood survivors. But it seemed like it wasn't mentioned again, so I might be way off base.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

double nine posted:

it's the lack of cables. This new version seems more of a ... punker hair style than an AI with cables and circuitry everywhere. It is also a lot more round, the original SHODAN had a far more triangular outline.

"Original"?

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Serephina posted:

Still better than that one!

But yea the way they animated Shodan's face in the SS2 cinematics was not very well done at all. We just all remember the static image which has aged well.

I agree the original original is pretty goofy, but nobody was drawing sexy lady Shodans on the internet before System Shock 2, so I dunno who wins in the end.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

John Murdoch posted:

This spoiler completely ruins everything but this was specifically a thing that bugged me about the game soooo there is literally no penalty whatsoever to killing named Phantoms. They are not human, they can not be saved, there is no uh oh last second reveal that you've been killing people. I don't even remember if the game even goes into any detail as to why they exist beyond the obvious.

I can't remember if it was a fever dream or what, but while exploring outside the station, I thought Alex says that the coral is manifested from psychic material, that is, it's not made of people, it's made of the mental make-up of people. The Typhon see our brain information as construction material, not as evidence of other sentient beings. So named Typhon have details that we might use to recognize a person, but this is only a facsimile appearance, it's still just a Typhon that ate somebody.

I do think immmersive sims should have choices and consequences, but diluting that into a binary morality system seems to turn complex systems into "do you want to be a Jedi or a Sith".

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

I like that Liberty Island is very action oriented, though, even if there's too much open space. "Here's some tools, some goals, go have fun." That slow technobabble-laden walk through the beginning of DX:HR is really dire.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Plan R posted:

The whole club bit, with Chief Sho singing while you're blasting away, was one of the best moments!

I was struggling a little with the game until this point, and it absolutely crystallized for me right here.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Plan R posted:

I was burned out after playing through the base game four times. So Mooncrash is good then? Worth a reinstall?

Each loop runs on a timer, which can be kind of aggravating if you play these games slow and careful like I do. (The timer is necessary though.) It's designed really well and is still absolutely an immersive sim, despite the differences.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Guillermus posted:

Is funny because with all that tech they could just slap a big screen that acted like a window instead of a literal window.

You don't impress investors with monitors! You gotta put poo poo like penthouse windows and gargoyles on your space station!

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

I like that it's less of a 'twist' and more like a gameplay conceit. The twist in SS2 doesn't really make you think about what you're doing on a replay (other than maybe listening to Polito's emails a little differently), in Prey I think why did they design this particular part of the simulation like this?

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Angry Diplomat posted:

Now we just need the Ultima: Underworld remake to be announced :corsair:

What do you mean, we got that remake abandoned garbage game five years ago! (Kickstarter got $860k)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

ToxicFrog posted:

They went back and fixed a lot of the stuff that was wrong with it at release but I still wouldn't call it, like, good. Unfortunately.

If not good, would you call it worth trying for $4?