Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Came across this game by chance a couple months ago and played it for the first time. Absolutely amazing. What a great time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Loved the game, absolutely delighted to have played it. About to try out this "Mooncrash" thing.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Loved the game, absolutely delighted to have played it. About to try out this "Mooncrash" thing.

gently caress this is good.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Serephina posted:

Standard issue warning: You eventually get the ability to craft the time-rewind thingies. Doing so trivializes the entire game, so try to avoid that. The ones found naturally are fine, of course.

Someone warned me of this, and I just dipped my toes in for a rewind or two. Ended up making the entire back half of the game boring, huge mistake. Don't be me.

A handful of hours before reading this post, I began to spend a lot of time breaking stuff down to make time-rewind thingies and also learned that taking a bunch of pistol ammo and dart ammo at the character point buy screen is the key to having loads of synthetic and metal. That's some good advice and I'm going to do it as a self-imposed rule. Thankfully, as amazing as this game has been, I'm pretty close to being all done. I've gotten everyone out once and now only need to finish two story quests.

It's going to suck once this is done because much like after Divinity Original Sin 2 was over few other games will measure up in comparison.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

For the cost of $20 that was a blast and maybe one of the better dollar per hour of fun purchases in a while. I have no idea what to play now. Hot drat. So good.

It really lived up to the name by the end.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Since the first one I've played is Prey, should I give Dishonored or any others a try?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Prey's just such a solidly structured time, and that's really refreshing in the era of seemingly everything being built to be a mega-franchise by choice or by publisher demand. It would have been real easy to cut the third act differently and flat rewrite the ending to leave more open for future sequels, cheapening the game's experience rather than delivering on a beautiful, full circle story. Bioshock 2 wasn't horrific by any means, but I can understand Ken Levine for deciding he's said all he wants to say about Rapture. I was about to ask about other non-Arkane games, but I bought Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider already. Didn't even know about Deathloop so that's a nice surprise.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I've never played Thief or System Shock. Checking on Wikipedia, the only immersive sims I've played are Prey and BioShock. I grabbed Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider, checking out Dishonored 2 right now.

I bought a bunch of games on sale a long time ago, Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut, and Deus Ex: The Fall. Any of those worth playing, essential to play, or are bad enough to be best skipped? I also have System Shock: Classic, System Shock: Enhanced Edition, and System Shock 2, but since the remake is around the corner I figured just wait for that to come out.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Oh, what about Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

If they were to do a Deus Ex 1 remaster (and they should, the game is bitrotting) BioMod should be bundled by default.

Do you suggest adding the BioMod for my first playthrough?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I've been playing some of Deathloop, which so far is kind of cool. The fact I can't open my weapon inventory so I can compare guns or can only pick up a rare bottle among mountains of stiff environment can piles ( unlike in Prey where you delightfully can pick up every single rock ) makes the came feel a little stiff compared to how swift and fluid Prey was, or how Dishonored 2 seems to be.

Just started it out and it looks super cool, other than that whoever decided Ctrl-L is the ideal dodge key should be shot ( Spiderman does the same, but I'll rebind it ).

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Man, just realized I can change the key configuration in Deathloop and Dishonored 2 to be the same.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Are all NPCs in Deathpool hostile?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

For all practical purposes, yes.

You're like one if those commanders who give approval and unleash a massacre, finally cleared the map after being afraid to — thank you.

Went back to Dishonored 2 and after five seconds with this arc jump dark sorcery power it's my favorite thing ever.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Teledahn posted:

I still can't believe that when Deathloop's lead designer (in Arkane Lyon) heard that Prey: Mooncrash (from Arkane Austin) was also 'A time loop game' he REFUSED TO LOOK AT OR PLAY IT because he didn't want to inadvertently copy them or be influenced by their work.

And so we have the disappointment that is Deathloop's design. Wilfully avoiding opportunities to learn from someone else's mistakes is just insane.

Wow. I had thought "huh, they apparently must have enjoyed Mooncrash so much they decided to continue exploring time loop dynamics" but now it makes sense because it's so clearly a step backwards in a lot of ways.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

So far Prey remains at the top of their games for me, just the gameplay, story, setting all make it pop.

Deathloop is cool, a good game even if a bit more on the combat side for me. Or maybe rather that it's hard in places? I really like it, but sometimes going back to a place to throw a switch is annoying when you need to slog back to the exit.

Dishonored 2 is great. Won't lie, I've ignored almost all of this chick's powers outside of super jump and shadow sewer crawl, but it doesn't feel like anymore are needed.

I started the first Deus Ex, with the mod suggested. Skill points seem to be scarce in this game — and it's definitely a bit tougher than the other ones. But it's great. So far the only drag has been some missions unexpectedly caused me to have no choice but to return to HQ when I had another goal to do. Control scheme took a bit but it's aged comparatively well.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Started that first Deus Ex game and it became impossible to put down. What a classic, sort of thing that makes you think about how old it is while playing it and how incredible it must have been at the time. I'm about to start Deus Ex: Human Revolution now, and then the next one. After doing those and Dishonored it should be interesting playing Prey again.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm so glad to have caught this game last year after missing it's release. Contender for my favorite game of the 2010's ( single playthrough games, not more open ended high replay games ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

aniviron posted:

It's not Prey or Arkane but there's no thread for it so you can't stop me: I've been playing Weird West, which is Raphael Colantonio's game from a few years back, the immersive sim action RPG set in, well, the fantasy wild west. It's good so far! Has a loooot of Prey's DNA in it. Clearly doesn't have a massive budget, but as of now I'd say if you like Prey it's worth trying.

You just made a sale. I only wish we had that Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind treatment so I could play Prey all over again.