Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I can't wait for Prey from Arcane Studios the same way like I can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077 from CRPROJEKT if that makes sense. Basically I have total trust in what they can pull off while it's great to see them venture into a completely different setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Maximum Planck posted:

Otherwise there goes my theory of Arkane wanting to placate Steam users after what happened with Dishonored 2. :confused:
Yeah, this makes me wary about potential technical issues as well.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Haha "Prey is a very good name for a game. It is succinct and easy to remember and it captures the essence of the game’s themes even without any reference to the original Prey IP." I mean, it's not like it wasn't already obvious but it's funny to hear directly from the devs that the game's name is pretty much pure marketing and there's no connection with the original whatsoever other than 'both are sci fi'.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I really liked Prey 2006, it was great. I didn't get any hype for the cancelled Prey 2. I'm looking forward to this Prey a lot. It's still mildly amusing to me that this game that obviously takes place in a different gameworld is called Prey because marketing. They could have called it Dead Space and it would have as much in common with that franchise as it has with Prey 2006.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It should have been called Space Shock or something. Preyshock, Coffeeshock, 1 Cup 1 Shock.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

No key resellers are legit, there are just some not known enough for devs to bother writing about. You can buy from them at your own risk but please don't post about them or link them, thanks.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ok yeah, that was too broad. Some sites are actually authorized by publishers and GMG is one of them.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I think Prey 2006 was a good game. I remember its gravity gimmick being way cooler and more prominent than portals but people remember the latter because of Portal. It's a game that doesn't need a sequel though and hasn't left a legacy that can be ruined or whatever so a reboot is more than welcome. I'll take another attempt at reimagining System Shock no matter how it's called.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, Bethesda's marketing division is legendarily inept at selling games they publish or even recognizing what those games actually are.

A series known for crazy fast action? Let's take it slow and show you this hell level really carefully and now it's time to focus on non-interactive finisher moves.

A game focused on exploration and giving you a variety of tools for emergant gameplay? Let's show none of that and instead shoot some headcrabs, pew pew pew.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm optimistic about Prey's PC performance because it doesn't run on Dishonored 2's engine but on Cryengine which has been proven as trustworthy time and time again in many games.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Valatar posted:

fear countered with booze
drat, they finally made an accurate depiction of alcoholism in gaming form.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm downloading it, I'll probably play it tomorrow.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Thanks for the FOV fix, I just used it, what the hell that it isn't in the options yet. The game runs smooth as butter and also owns.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm on Nvidia and I don't get that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

There's probably some e-mail about Tommy as a homage that makes its canon that Prey 2006 and 2017 are in fact the same universe :spergin:.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

On PC this game controls perfectly. The UI is also very good, probably the best the -shock genre ever had.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

No, I forgot to mention that I mean all of that with k/m in mind, sorry.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

drat, two mimics jumping at my face disguised as a health pack and ammo pack were pretty loving scary after I ran straight at them with almost zero health. Game owns hard.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Jesus, I just found a note hidden under a freaking pillow on a bed explaining a very specific secret.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

This game isn't good, it's freaking amazing. There's so much optional stuff to get lost in and there are always cool rewards for exploring. Piecing together the story and filling-in the blanks and details owns as well. There's still a question how the game plays later on but so far it's pretty much the next big thing.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 6, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Knifegrab posted:

Can anyone, without being very specific, tell me how far into the game do I need to be to find a neuromod blueprint. Like I just want to know mostly if its something I will be forced to find or I have to be vigilant to look out for.
You need to look for it and follow rabbit holes, it's optional. I mean like find a detour in a detour in a detour kind of thing but it's not crazy missable if you explore carefully.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I like the little touch where you look through a telescope and see a corpse drifting in space in front of a space billboard and then a few hours later you can actually get to that corpse.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Somebody please post (in spooilers) what that recycler exploit is.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I just found out that the pistol is the go-to weapon...in space. It tears everything down so quickly.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Prey 1's strongest gimmick was the gravity changing while portals were not present in the game that much. There was also the spirit mode and there were some simple puzzles combined with it (plus a cool game over mode). Overall the combat was pretty tight and I thought that it was a sweet game for the time. It had a horrific final boss though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'd say it's on par with Alien: Isolation when it comes to scary elements. It's not really horror but it's tense and there'll be jumpscares but that's it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I love this game but I can't get over how much the hacking minigame sucks. I know that hacking sucks in most games but here it's way more jarring when you experience it in stark contrast to how much attention was given to everything else, ability interactions, permutations etc. It's just so mundane that it feels like nobody thought about its mechanics at all - they were late for a deadline, somebody threw an idea at a meeting and they went straight to developing it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Anyway kinetic blast loving owns. I killed 5 mimics in a room with a single one and when used on phantoms it instantly knocks them out for a lazy finisher with the pistol. Something's telling me that fully upgraded powers absolutely break the game.

Is remote manipulation useful for anything in the game? It feels like gloo gun + the much more multipurpose (not mentioning cooler as a mechanic) morph ability leave not much for it to accomplish.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yes, sequence breaking that is acounted for makes it so much more impressive.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Is there a way to break the DRM on fabricating neuromods without upgrading hacking to level 4? There seems to be no way into that room besides the giant door with the broken keypad on it.
From what I remember there's also a small opening in the ceiling of the room through which you could roll as a cup.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Bardeh posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/08/prey-review-sci-fi-shooter-bioshock-dead-space-dishonored-bethesda

Huh, The Guardian only gave it 3/5 and seem pretty down on it.

No mention of System Shock, and personally I think that this quote:

is just plain wrong. The freedom that the game gives you to tackle the station however you want, the utility of the Gloo gun, and the zero G sections are all things that make the game stand out IMO.
Don't sweat about the reviews, there are some really clueless ones out there like the Forbes one. This is a tough title for a run-off-the-mill games journalist to like. I appreciate somebody genuinely criticizing the game which is always interesting to read but so many non-positive reviews of this title have zero merit and really highlight reviewers who have to be told that something is good to enjoy it. Like, if this game was named "Space Bioshock: metroidvania freedom edition" then maybe they'd 'get it' but as it is there's not enough brand recognition and no big early reviews (Bethesda's fault) that would have helped them understand what this game even is and what they're supposed to like about it.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 8, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

System Shock comparisons don't come from horror elements, 'horror' wasn't a defining System Shock characteristic. It comes from the nature of level design, the variety of approaches to combat, the interactions between gameplay systems, the depth in which RPG elements are used in the game. The sci-fi space station setting also helps. I too see things inspired or filtered through Bioshock in this game but Bioshock mainstreamed the System Shock formula to a point where it stopped mattering and felt like a corridor shooter with a couple of systems thrown in for variety while Prey takes it back to its roots.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I mean, yeah System Shock is defined by those kinds of mechanical improvements, but the theme of the game was still very much based in horror.
Yes, SS2 was a horror game as was Resident Evil or Silent Hill. What makes SS2 different from those titles is a number of gameplay elements and going 'why do people compare Prey to SS2 when it's not horror?' when Prey uses all those elements only exchanging horror for a tense atmosphere is missing the point.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lakbay posted:

How many Jump Scares are there? I only had The one with the screen calibration and the one when using the lobby elevator
I don't know if everybody gets that but there's this one fabricator with an item stuck in it that you can't directly pick up and when you turn it on to get it it turns into a mimic.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Basically I keep getting jump scared by mimics when they're usable items because I'm focused on picking them up.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

DancingShade posted:

I'm hoping sales are high enough but I don't want it rushed - something this good deserves a sequel with the same attention to detail and level design.
I'd take a DLC campaign that doubles the game's length like in Dishonored :getin:. I'm imagining something cool like controling somebody that got rescued off the station by the protagonist in the main game only to get into more trouble.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Junkenstein posted:

John Walker of all people gave it a good, RPS Recommended, review anyway.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/05/09/prey-review/
drat, I guess in these harsh review times one has to accept old enemies under his wings.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

*A morbid scene at the morgue, corpses twisted from fear, their heads unnaturaly transformed after horrific deaths, some of them seemed to have tried to actually shelter themselves in the body drawers but failed, my god*

"Oooh, this one has a banana pudding in his pocket, yum!"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

When it comes to suit repair kits for the life of me I can't understand why you can't use them from the action wheel. You can trigger medkits and psi hypos there but to fill the third bar always visible on your screen you have to go to the inventory. It doesn't make sense.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also if you kill January, does it mean that December's side quest continues in a different way as it doesn't get killed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Deep Thought posted:

All the gaming mags already hyped Bioshock 1 as the System Shock 2 successor. I think the rites of succession are getting a bit mixed up. This looks more like a bastard of Bioshock, graphically.
People specifically skip Bioshock because Prey 2 is more System Shock than any Bioshock ever managed to be. Sure that Bioshock influences are visible but it's about the glory of being surprised by gameplay freedom that Prey brought back to the genre.