Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The game looks interesting, but I'll wait a few days after release until performance reports are out before I actually buy it. Dishonored 2 was unplayable for me at launch, and still doesn't run that well despite several massive patches to address the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Palpek posted:

They could have called it Dead Space and it would have as much in common with that franchise as it has with Prey 2006.

It would have been a better business move, because I would preorder a Dead Space 4 without checking any details about the game whatsoever.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

1stGear posted:

The actual reason not to buy this game full price is that Bethesda has an official policy of not sending review copies out any more. Sucks that good developers are attached to an aggressively lovely publisher but welp.

Wasn't that policy enacted right before Dishonored 2 came out? Seemed like a cynical way of stopping anyone from seeing the major issues with the PC release.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I also confirm that. Seems to work without issues now.

If it's running well on PC I'll probably pick this up when I get home from work. I've managed to avoid basically all information about what this game even is, so my entire understanding consists of:

- One image of a guy looking at his bloody eye in the mirror
- It's in space
- The enemies are shadow things that turn into coffee cups and maybe other stuff?

Enough for a purchase. Seems like the sort of game where it's better if nothing gets spoiled.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

First review is out, or at least the only one I can find. No idea how reputable this publication is but they gave it a 9/10.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

GTX 1070, 4770 i7, 8GB RAM, 2560x1440 and I'm averaging 90 frames even in large, detailed areas. Lowest I've seen it drop was to around 50 when there were multiple mimics on screen, turrets shooting them, and me spraying foam all over the place. Really liking the atmosphere even though all I've done so far is kill shadow headcrabs, looking forward to playing a longer session tomorrow.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

Is it a safe bet to rush necropsy so I can fabricate more neuromods?

That was the first thing I went for, along with rushing to increase inventory space. Actual combat and utility stuff is good, but it's usually best to get the basic upgrades out of the way first especially if one of them gets you more material though the whole game.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Because the person who was in charge of audio balancing doesn't know how to do his job properly.

For real, it's my biggest problem with the game. It annoys me so much.

It's really noticeable, but in a way I don't mind it because otherwise I would constantly be getting jumped from behind by mimics. I'm not going to stop and whack every piece of insignificant debris I come across, so an audible cue that something is about to attack me is helpful.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

I guess this should be in spoilers to not give away the beginning, so Arkane has really nailed the "2d surface projecting 3d environment" thing. I'm wondering if they used the same code to make the projection windows that they used for the "Crack in the Slab" level of Dishonored 2. It was really cool there as well and probably the most fun level of the game.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Bogart posted:

Yeah, Bethesda borked the marketing real bad. Just about the worst thing you can do for anything as long as you're even slightly confident that it's good is not promote it.

Yeah, my roommate does pretty much nothing but play videogames and hadn't even heard of this when I told him I bought it yesterday.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Crabtree posted:

I mean this is what happens when you delay reviews. It hurt Doom 2016 and it hurt Prey 2017.

I was wondering what their stated reason was for the change. According to GameInformer:

quote:

At the time, Bethesda justified the delay by citing Doom's online components as the reason for the decision. "All three elements are important parts of the complete DOOM experience and are meant to be experienced as part of a complete package," the publisher told us. "As DOOM's SnapMap and multiplayer modes both require access to a server that won't be live prior to launch, review copies will arrive on launch day."

However, Bethesda now says it will continue applying the policy to the upcoming releases of Dishonored 2 and Skyrim Special Edition - both single-player only games. Bethesda says the reason is behind the decision is that "we want everyone, including those in the media, to experience our games at the same time."

Bethesda goes on to acknowledge that some gamers rely on reviews to help make their purchasing decisions, stating "...if that's the case we encourage you to wait for your favorite reviewers to share their thoughts."

Doesn't seem to have played out the way they hoped. In trying to have absolute control over the product, they've merely lost a lot of good will and convinced potential customers that they're untrustworthy. People are going to try and read reviews before buying a game to see if it's any good. If you directly stop that from happening, it's fair to assume you're trying to cover something up. Maybe that was actually the case with DH2 and the Skyrim remaster, but this game is great, well optimized, and appears to be suffering needlessly as the result of a dumb policy.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I don't know but Arkane needs to share this magnificent shrinking technology with the rest of the world because 60gb for loving Doom was bonkers

To be fair, a lot of Doom's file size is taken up by all the multiplayer/snapmap stuff outside of the single player campaign. Which is annoying in its own way, since I still haven't touched any of that stuff despite beating the main game three times and I wish there was a checkbox to leave it uninstalled. It was even doing a thing with separate executables last I checked.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Space Hamlet posted:

Hi, does this game have that inane vita-chamber stuff from Bioshock and if so can I switch it off without the game feeling like its difficulty curve is broke

Nope. When you die, it's reload from the last checkpoint.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

This game is really good about actually putting things in places I think I'm wasting my time reaching.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

I'm a subversive player that jumped into the rotor blades of the chopper in the intro, earning an achievement for it. :thumbsup:

drat, really? I did as well, but after it had landed and didn't get anything. Guess you have to do it before it takes off, I'll get that one in the inevitable replay.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Ambaire posted:

Does tossing stuff into that vessel give more materials than just doing a pile in the world somewhere?

No, it's just a convenient container for throwing it all in. Did the same thing myself and got an achievement for recycling 20 things at once, but didn't really keep it up after leaving that room. If you're really hurting for materials, you can always drag everything in a given room into a pile and toss a recycler grenade at it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

At some point in the game killing everything you see becomes less and less of a realistic option, which is actually kind of refreshing.

Already hitting this point relatively early on, but that might just be on account of it being on Nightmare difficulty. As soon as the phantoms that split into two phantoms when alerted start showing up, it gets a bit dicey although I've still managed to scrape by so far.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

God dammit that jump scare from calibrating the looking glass. Coffee cups and whatnot turning into mimics doesn't get me much but that one sure did.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

So I see this is being billed as a horror game, but what I'm hearing (and seeing from earlygame streams) is that it isn't really very scary; mimics are kind of cute, even.

However, I'm a huge baby about horror, and on literal doctor's orders to avoid anything excessively stressful besides, so how does this game rate re: scariness/stressfulness, notably risk of jumpscares etc.? I'm not suuuuper keen on the idea of something chasing me around the game, but the gameplay looks fun as hell and I loved the Deus Ex games.

There's only been one major jump scare that I've run into so far (I think it's an optional area, you'll know it when it happens), but the mimic scares don't really hit home usually because you're already expecting random bits of debris to be mimics. The only other jump scare that got me was when I picked up a heavy object next to a propane tank which caused it to explode and kill me.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Is there more than one Nightmare in the game? Because mine followed me into an area when I don't think it could stand up, so it hunched over in a corner and let me unload my shotgun into it without resistance until it died.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Is there a way to break the DRM on fabricating neuromods without upgrading hacking to level 4? There seems to be no way into that room besides the giant door with the broken keypad on it.

e: Going to read the obscure hint and not the second spoilers. I love that drat nerf gun, I've unlocked so much stuff with it already.
vvv

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 8, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

A minor point, but I'm glad there are so many actual audio logs in this game. Dead Space 1 and 2 both had a good mix of text logs and audio logs, then in 3 they got a bit lazy and only had a handful of audio logs while the vast majority were text. I don't know if it was because they didn't have enough voice actors since it seemed like a troubled development in a lot of ways, but it made everything feel less personal.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Regarding the side quest to leave the station in Alex's private escape pod, I assume the only way to get up there is to get the neuromod that teleports you a short distance and leaves a copy where you were standing, maybe upgraded to the second level for greater teleport distance. I got up to Alex's office through some creative gloo climbing, but there's a big gap between the roof of his office and the platform above it where the escape pod is actually located. It seems far enough away that no amount of tricky jumping or gloo stairs will let me get over there and I don't see a switch to lower a ramp or anything like that. Not even sure if it will be an actual end to the game or if it will just have a cutscene where Alex tractor beams me back to the station or something like that, but I want to wrap up the sidequests I have right now before progressing in the story.

It seems like there's something really obvious I'm missing.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

CJacobs posted:

There is. Check his computer.

Can't, it's protected up to hacking level 4 and I don't have his password. Good to know the gloo still works though, guess I just wasn't jumping up the right part. Going to save before I do it though since I get the feeling that even if it actually is an ending to the game, it's probably one of the "bad" ones.

If it hasn't been said enough times, this game is amazing. There are a bunch of times like this where it's seemed to me like there's no way to approach a problem besides one obvious brute force manner, then there's some clever workaround that I hadn't considered. Managed to get into a major supply closet earlier by shooting a nerf dart through the small slot in a security booth at just the right angle that it arched over and hit the button to open the door, and I can't remember playing a game like this that actually allows crazy workarounds like that. Any other game I would have to give up and come back when my hacking skill was higher.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Popelmon posted:

I love how often you can just break some glass to get into a hard to reach place. Other games have conditioned me to just assume that glass in front of security booths etc is unbreakable and that I always have to find the keycard/hack/find the vent. Not here!

My favorite one so far was getting into the Morgue without a keycard. There are all these audio logs in the area from the guy saying he accidentally locked his card in there and asking if anyone had ideas to get it back. One of them is to sneak behind a science operator as it goes through its scheduled routine to get past the authorization. Not sure if that actually works since all the science operators in the area didn't seem to go over there as far as I could tell, so I worked out another solution. The windows are barred, but you can still break them and shoot a dart through the bars to hit the door switch.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

an actual dog posted:

I like DOOM a lot but it's not like a 10 game even if you leave out the MP. There's some rough patches lol

The whole platforming part with Argent Tower might knock it down to a 9.5

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Since this is still a new game, I'm wondering what regrets people have about the way they've built their character. I jumped blind into Nightmare from the beginning and can say at this point that there are a few mods I invested in that probably aren't worth it:

Leverage above 1 - Took this all the way to 3 since I thought it would be necessary to access a bunch of secret areas that are blocked off by heavy debris. Would be much more neuromod-efficient to just throw an explosive canister or recycler grenade at the problem. One-shotting a phantom with a heavy object is an infrequent opportunity, as is prying open an unpowered door.

Dismantle - Thought getting more spare parts from operator corpses would be worthwhile. Maybe in a run where you go full human so turrets don't start shooting you halfway through the game, and you level up repair to be able to fortify turrets. Even then might not be worth the 3 neuromod investment

Kinetic Blast - Only got this because it was the first typhon mod I found, but knocking stuff around doesn't seem terribly useful to me. Probably better to dump everything into Psychoshock, since it will do damage and disable the more annoying aspects of dangerous enemies for long amounts of time. The fire one and electricity might be good as well but I haven't put points into them.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

I chugged a bunch of neuromods down in the cargo bay after fabricating about nine of them at once. It was enough to instantly send another nightmare after me, who spawned in the room with all the survivors and got shot to death without me having to do anything.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

I'd already opened the armory with my crossbow before I even turned the corner to speak with him and he was like, "oh, I was gonna trade you the code but I guess you're good, huh?"

I let him out because leaving him locked up next to the rapidly expanding alien murder web felt tantamount to killing him.

I did the same thing and then let him out as well. He was appreciative, but didn't actually leave the room to go down to the cargo bay like other surivors. Much later on I came back through the same area and he was still standing there, but a phantom had spawned in the same room which killed him before I realized what was happening.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Mymla posted:

Pretty hosed up that the best way to get organic material is probably to drag some human corpses together and drop recycler charges on them.

Is there anything good for "farming" steel? That's my main resource bottleneck right now and most of the objects laying around don't seem to give much. Spare guns give a good amount but I'm more concerned with which non-inventory debris gives a good yield. There's always the resource glitch, but I'd rather have a specific item to look out for so I can play the game without abusing bugs the first time through.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Bardeh posted:

I've found that the robots give decent amounts of metal. Those machines that summon them often have three charges, so you can summon two, recycle them, and then have one more to actually use.

Guess I'll start recycling operator bodies more often. Even with the bottleneck and playing on Nightmare resources haven't been much of a problem anyway, I haven't actually run out of ammo since towards the beginning of the game.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

How the hell can i repair my suit? Im only at the beginning, (lobby and hardware labs) but so far my suit is at like 10 and i havent found anything that i can use to repair it

Suit repair kits are plentiful, you should be able to find some if you search around. If not, an engineering operator will heal it back to full if you can find one.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Where? I have to be cautious due to the fact that a mimic attack eats like half of my health at this point, but ive been through a good portion of the lobby without coming across a kit or operator

The kits are all over the place, if you've been thorough up to this point chances are you might even have some in your inventory already and didn't notice. The engineering operators are scattered around, but I know for sure that there's a dispenser for them in the hardware labs in the same large room that has the airlock.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Bardeh posted:

I haven't seen one yet after 12 or so hours, and thank gently caress for that. It's nice to be able to fly around outside the station and explore without another resource to manage. I get the feeling that the O2 bottles you see everywhere are a relic of a system they scrapped because they look like items you might collect more than the incidental recycling fodder that everything else is.

They work as explosives if you throw them, so they're still more than just recycling fodder even if they're a holdover from a scrapped oxygen system. There's also a voice in the shuttle bay saying to be careful about running out of oxygen, but your suit at least appears to have an infinite resource.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

For your health.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Probably close to the end of the game now, and Dahl taking over the station and putting 20 military operators in every room is some bullshit. Final thing I did before going to sleep last night was sneak into the shuttle bay and zap him with the stun gun, now the doctor I rescued earlier is going to brain-wipe him. I hope that gets rid of all the operators because they're really annoying to fight and have massively decreased how much fun I'm having. Would hate to have to finish all my remaining side quests with these drat things all over the place.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

CJacobs posted:

It's intended to give you more resources for crafting neuromods specifically, they aren't enough to get you all THAT much more but it definitely helps. Especially once you start running into the enemies that drop bigger organs to harvest.

It's always the other stuff that runs out first though. I have something ridiculous like 90 exotic material but am running low on everything else, it's off balance enough that I wish there was some way of transforming exotic matter into other material even if it wasn't a 1:1 return.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Other things the Gloo gun does that blew my mind:

- It puts out fires
- It seals punctured tubes that are shooting flame/gas
- It allows you to walk on electrified floors unharmed by just standing on the blobs
- It destroys cysts and the resulting bombs instantly
- A couple of gloo shots side by side creates a platform that will support a turret or similar

WHAT?

God dammit. So much pistol ammo wasted.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Crustashio posted:

Dumb question, but does the game actually end if you take the escape pod? I discovered randomly that I could gloo gun up to alex's office, which lead me to the escape pod key in his quarters, and i figured out you can use the rafters to make a gloo path to the pod. But I don't really feel like ending the game this early

Since it's a side quest I thought there would be some sort of event where the launch fails or Alex remotely takes control and pulls you back to the station, but no. You can straight up bail, with Alex giving you a disappointed line like "That's it? You're just giving up?" and taking you to a screen to restart at the last checkpoint. You get an achievement for it, though part of Alex's brief comment gives away part of the story you might not know about yet.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Mymla posted:

Is it not there if you're a dude?

I'm playing male Morgan and I'm almost positive I saw the same thing when I went in there.

Haven't finished the game either, but I'm guessing the crossed out scientist is the one I've heard about a few other times that was apparently only there for a day and then got wiped from all records. That guy was probably a major part of the backstory and one of the things I'm wondering about the most besides who created January and December. Like even though Alex is apparently being "honest" with me now about my brain being reset over and over after I saw the video on his computer, it feels like he might still be lying about everything and I'm actually a Typhon that had its memory erased. Or my entire personality and memories got backed up onto a neuromod-based hard drive somewhere and I'm actually just an android that has the Morgan program uploaded to it at the start of every playthrough and the whole game is a test to see if I can accomplish some specific task involving the Typhon.

Going to try and plow through the rest of the campaign when I get home tonight, not being able to read all these spoiler posts is killing me. I have so many theories, but not enough information yet to actually resolve any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Red Mundus posted:

What stands out to me is that I've never seen a reviewer do that before. Usually they'll delay the review or put up a no score with a warning that the game could not be completed.

Extra dumb because the beta patch supposedly fixes the bug already. What are they going to do, leave it up for a day and then change it to the real score?