Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

They never really fixed the input lag in DH2 so who knows if they'll actually fix it for release. I know totally different engines and all, whatever.

Is that supposed to be Dishonored 2? Because i haven't encountered any input lag in 40 hours of playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah i'm playing on PC, so i guess i dodged a bullet there.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You can go to the arboretum's greenhouse and scan the typhon there, and then the three puppet humans, and get just enough research for mindjack. All from the safety of a window.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

I think the only differences between genders are the family photo, January being male/female and all the dialogue swaps when they're needed.

And the toilet seat

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo that stab in the back when (end end-game) January leaves you to die on Talos by messaging Dahl waiting in the shuttle and telling him "Hi this is Morgan, i can't make it, fly without me" after you turn on the self-destruction. Top 10 anime betrayals

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
First time i went through the game, that didn't happen (human-only) so i was quite surprised. Yeah you can alwys use the escape pod but i was going for the "Awkward Ride Home" achievement for only you and Dahl leaving on the shuttle as only survivors so that was kind of a dick move :v:

Yeah, you can just bust the op beforehand if you know about it, or you actually get a timer of about 150 seconds to get from the bridge to the shuttle before he actually leaves.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Also, whoever said that you always get a choice in the end was wrong. I got to the evaluation at the end, Igwe is all like "the mirror neurons test didn't go very well", Mikhaila says "So, what now?" and Alex goes "We failed". Horror sting music, fade to black. No choice.

They didn't even discuss my choices at the end, which i found kinda sad. I wanted to hear what they had to say about the fact that i got Mikhaila her meds, made her listen to her father's last moments, then killed her after she said "Stay away from me, Morgan", and resurrected her as a Phantom. :unsmigghh:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
And i had this on loop in the background for the last stretch of my psychopathic romp-stomp aboard the Talos 1. Goes extremely well with the shotgun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8mH-PQ54Bs

Worked well in DS3, worked surprisingly well here.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jawnycat posted:

Not sure if this is based on gender, but all my male Yu runs have had January's comment after killing the head of hardware labs's phantom be "They don't seem to have liked you" while my current female Yu run got something along the lines of "They seemed to admire you - unfortunate".

This one's puzzling me - on my first playthrough, they said he admired me, on my second one they said he must have hated me. Both were played on the same gender though.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jawnycat posted:

Maybe it has to do with the personality test? For my current run, I'm going kill everyone, and answered the questions accordingly.

Dunno, my ethics run had "like", while my psychotics run got "hate". Dunno what i answered in the test at the start though.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tony Montana posted:

hello this is very good and fun

but the music, or lack of it, kinda sucks. what is up with that? I have it turned up but it's all just atmospheric aliens chirping or whatever?

The music is kept pretty low because it's very helpful to hear the typhon near you. I think they also tuned it down from the original because people complained after playing the demo that it was pretty overpowering. A lot of it is also atmospheric stuff you might be able to confuse for background noises of the area you're in, like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v4FFxR-uKA
(I kind of hate this music, it makes me tense as gently caress when it plays)

And then there's the ubiquitous battle music that's just kinda flittering noises and rattles assaulting you, kinda like fighting a mimic, which you mostly hear in short bursts and barely parses as music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-V09T0LOPw

You get occasional shots of more traditional "music" when entering new setpieces or plot beats, but depending on how much time you spend dicking around ignoring the plot, these moments can seem few and far between.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

As long as you have enough resources (ammo, medkits, psi-hypos, whatever it is you use) to deal with whatever enemies you meet, you can safety convert all excess resources into skill points.

Man, end game i end up recycling the last couple neuromods i find, because i'm already maxed out. I also ended the game with like 200 metal and three digit synthetics too, and that's with regularly crafting more shotgun and pistol ammo. I never end up using recycler grenades for anything other than getting rid of obstacles, either.

I guess i did end up recycling like 80% of the weapon upgrades i found, so that probably helped

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Y'know, it's pretty funny that the big thing about the strange alien race, which is defined by its uncanny ability to perfectly mimic something, is supposed to be that they - gasp! - don't have mirror neurons. You know, these things that make humans imitate each other. Like when smiling or yawning

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There was like one time in the entire game where i actually heard them say the things they apparently do according to the subtitles. It was kind of garbled but recognizable. Only once, though. Every other time it's just cacophonous rumbling that doesn't even try to resemble words.

Not sure how i got that to happen.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So at the end of an average game, what do y'all think, how many Russian prisoner lives (or the equivalent to it) has Morgan shot into their eyes

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Verdugo posted:

I find it interesting that there are no pets on the station. No ship's cat?

It's a space station, dood. Have you seen the living quarters for the rank and file on there? Space isn't a place for pets, really.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

I found one last night that you can get on your very first space walk. :science:

On my first playthrough, i found that one by carefully sneaking past a dangerous typhon and hiding out in that very alcove where the poor NPC who hid from probably the same Typhon died.

On my second playthrough, i found the vent system that takes you to the same alcove and completely bypasses all enemies.

After my brother excitedly told me about how you can get your first Q-Beam after your first spacewalk, i was all smug how i found one during my first space walk. The second playthrough still managed to surprise me on that front

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hell, Q-beam is only really worth it if you upgrade it all the way. Not exactly your first order of business, but you should get to it in the second or third, uh... third of the game. Properly upgraded, the Q-Beam will melt a weaver (one of the most annoying enemies) in like under 2 seconds. It's also your only real choice for proper long-range combat.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
In three playthroughs, i have never once found the mimic detector gen2

i always had like 5 copies of the pistol crit+ though

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Not really. For example, you always find the Mimic Detector Gen1 in psychotronics somewhere shortly after getting the scope (i think near or in the room full of the "Not A Mimic" notes), and the double jump is always on the Disgruntled Employee floating way outside in space somewhere.

Most are random tho

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
In D2, you can even still take someone down non-lethally when they're already engaged in combat with you, and i mean with your hands, not something like stun bolts. they vastly expanded your options for non-lethal stuff.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Weird thing about the dissonance here. N:A and Prey are pretty similar in that the gameplay is not exactly their strong point but the charm lies in how the rest of the game is crafted.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zomborgon posted:

The tutorial exam area and the regular game's exam area are almost certainly two different files. It would be a lot of extra programming work to make it switch to it's broken state and still keep the tutorial events intact.

There's only one Neuromods Lab map. The room where you wake up at the start of the game is the exact same room you wake up in after the failed exam.
You can see this by glitching outside the room on the "first day". The game just seamlessly keeps going, assuming you're on the second day and have just broken the window. Speedruns used this a lot (well, before they patched the GLOO gun, dunno if it's still possible)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Phantom Genesis 2 is also pretty nice in the late game, cuz a friendly Voltaic Phantom just easily deals with all these hostile operators on the side while you take care of the important poo poo.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Sho complained about a bunch of humans dying, even though I made sure to stun everyone and only killed Luka. I think she said the same thing regardless of which end solution I chose.

It's pretty difficult to make sure evryone survives. A lot of mind-controlled people end up wandering around into fires or other hazards and die off-screen. Happens a lot in the crew quarters area since there's a lot of them there.

edit: You need to basically loving book it into the gym as soon as you load into the crew quarters and take out everyone asap before the above thing happens, took me like 4 or 5 reloads when i did my "save everyone" run

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:same:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Do people really not get that the last "choice" is just there to drive home the real point of the epilogue, and is supposed to be as meaningless as you make it? Typhon Morgan is just a stand-in for the person playing the game, after all, to embody the disconnect between you in front of the screen and the "people" behind it. The whole spiel about "they might not even see us as people" was about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the face, and giving you the option to kill everyone even after you played the game as The Most Empathic Person is just there to make the point clear.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I mean the whole game is literally just a game to the player.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you did see the game as a proof of concept on the difficulty/impossibility of getting a player to empathize with interactive fiction... why are you still arguing about decisions?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Shodan's face seems a little.... off

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Okay, I finished the game.

Did you notice the version number discrepance on the simulation running when you take the escape pod and the one you see when ending the game?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So, is Mooncrash named as such because it plays on the moon and crashes all the time?
Three times in a row now, a crash ended my run with a message like "tried writing to address 0xFFFFFFFF" or something.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Full Human is easy mode anyways. All the mimic stuff pales in effectiveness compared to the unkillable murdertyphoon that a human-only neuro kit will turn you into. Fast, durable, extremely lethal, versatile and all-access.

Now, going typhon-only... That's hard mode. Very limited inventory, fragile, ineffective weapons, slow, pick and choose from only two scope/suit upgrades, sneak around enemies to conserve psi...

And No Needles is a real challenge. Good thing you can melt down all these stacks of neuromods you find to fabricate more shotgun shells

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if you're not going to do the run either way and want your reward (????) for the thing you didn't do anyways, might as well skip the middle man and use SAM. An achievement is the only thing it results in.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They don't automatically get destroyed and they work really well against mimics, but there's usually a stray phantom walking around and unless the turret somehow gets the drop on said phantom off-screen, it's going to zip-zap once or twice, blast the turret with a yellow ball and, at best, dislodge and auto-collapse it or just outright break it.

Turrets work really well in dead ends without attack angles from above or behind, and in numbers of two or three. They can make short work of even phantoms that way. Buuuuut.... you really, really rarely have that kind of setup. Especially because Prey usually has huuuge vertical setups, and floating enemies.

So you usually load into an area, new pahtoms or bigger baddies have spawned and roam around, and by the time you get to the turret, they'll have broken it (and you might find one or two dead mimic matters at its broken base)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

El_Elegante posted:

I thought the turrets deactivated on level load?

Nah they don't. All the deactivated turrets you find probably got pinball'd around by respawned phantoms' psychic blasts though, they usually do after a certain point in the game.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The reinforced turret i left at my office in my current run was also damaged when i came back from Psychotronics, but then i also saw two unlooted mimic bodies in the corridor

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its a stupid plot thing that could work in maybe any other medium probably. But when you're in a game and have so much investment in it, this kind of plot twist just cheapens the whole experience. I feel really stupid playing this now.

Man, you just completely missed the whole point of the game, huh?

The whole premise of the game is explicitly about player engagement, it could actually NOT work in any other medium.

edit: tho i'll never get the "dream means it doesn't matter" thing, even in real life, dream experiences for and shape us as a person so they always have impact

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
To be fair i didn't really understand the ending either until i let it stew for a bit and read others' impressions on it. But i think it's the closest a game has ever gotten to framing its own medium. You're playing a game about playing a game, and about the struggles of a creator to meaningfully engage with their art.

Off the top of my head, i can't think of any other game where the happenings ended up being meaningful or relating to you, the player, instead of you, as the player avatar, to this degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
People always say "videogames can't have anything meaningful to say 'cause they lack any subtlety" but when they call the main character Yu, it still flies over people's heads