Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

His voice acting was one of my favourite parts of the original game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

I opened up the Typhon Hunter multiplayer game and wow it's like somebody's master's thesis project or something.

This ... is a bad thing, right?

E: I mean, I guess you mean bad, as in not a professional grade product. The more time I spend with enterprise grade software I realise 'professional grade' doesn't mean much in terms of product quality or usability.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 8, 2019

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Serephina posted:

... Likewise, SHODAN has a throwaway line about installing so many cybermods it looks like you're trying to emulate her machine perfection, but there isn't a huge flashing meter across your upgrade screen labelled "Remaining humanity", ...

This is enormously nerdy to inquire, but I remember that line. Are you certain it's based on the number of mods you've used and not a static line? Given cybermods are the only equivalent to xp or skill points I'd be surprised that the designers considered a 'low-mods' run that early in the lineage.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

I came back to Deathloop recently and while it’s the weakest of all Arkane games as an immersive sim, they at least proved that all that time they’d been actively discouraging open combat in their games, they’d been holding on to full-blooded FPS design that feels simply incredible to play.

I still can't believe that when Deathloop's lead designer (in Arkane Lyon) heard that Prey: Mooncrash (from Arkane Austin) was also 'A time loop game' he REFUSED TO LOOK AT OR PLAY IT because he didn't want to inadvertently copy them or be influenced by their work.

And so we have the disappointment that is Deathloop's design. Wilfully avoiding opportunities to learn from someone else's mistakes is just insane.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Wow. I had thought "huh, they apparently must have enjoyed Mooncrash so much they decided to continue exploring time loop dynamics" but now it makes sense because it's so clearly a step backwards in a lot of ways.

They made an immersive sim time loop game without a global timer. It is amazing, but not done right.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Was Redfall developed by Arkane Austin or Arkane Lyon? (Or both?)

I'm sure I'm not the only one to recall that when Arkane Lyon's studio management team was working on Deathloop, they actively avoided learning lessons from their colleagues at Arkane Austin's recent work, Mooncrash.

The studios are probably more like sister organizations than close collaborators, but I imagine that might depend on the project.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

I liked the game and its ending

I also liked the game and its ending.

I'm also enjoying this meta-discussion about the game.

A very small part of that is observing the pronouns various posters use to describe Morgan.

I should go replay Mooncrash.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

orcane posted:

Aren't a bunch of crew tags pointing there, or does that only happen if you're on a specific quest?

Even if you're not on ... that specific quest, locating all the crew members is a completionist temptation. I know I was trying to do so even though I wasn't... following that quest.