Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Anyone getting horrific texture issues? The game runs extremely well but everytime I walk into a room I see the textures start to pop in, and some just remain forever blurry. It really bugs me.

This is with all the settings at Very High....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

I haven't run into that. Your GPU manufacturer release new drivers yet?

They did, which is annoying. Maybe Nvidia just dropped the ball here or something.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well I found out my video card was running at uh..83c so maybe that was why. Oops.
I'm using a GTX 660 though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mindblast posted:

Odds are that card only has 2gb video memory. Are you running textures maxed out? It could easily not be a bug, but instead be caused by lack of vram.

Turn down your texture quality.

Yeah that's probably the issue. Definitely going to do that, thanks.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm guessing I'm nearing the final act of the game or close to it and man. I really loving hate the military operators, they have so much hp and are just annoying to fight and come in swarms, as well as seemingly infinite respawn from the fabricators?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is Leverage the most pointless skill path? I've come across like..Two unpowered doors that could be forced open with it, and for rooms and stuff blocked off by debris I just use a recycler charge to get in.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dang I wish that hacking Kasper made the fuckin military operators all friendly or stop spawning. Doesn't seem like there's anything special at all for doing that...So far at least. Lame.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well, that's that. Clocked in about 18 hours, really good rear end game. Glad it came out on the weekend so I could blitz through it. Ending was kind of lame, I expected some sort of big encounter or something towards the end, although I'm glad there wasn't a giant annoying boss fight against the Aphex as well, so I guess I can't complain. Just felt like the ending was really sudden to me. I knew the twist the moment i GLOO'd myself up to Alex's penthouse and then across the drawbridge the moment you get access to the zone and got the bad ending, combined with Alex constantly going on about mirror neurons and such. The only thing I'm a bit confused about is, did the events of Talos-1 actually happen, and you were simply playing a simulation of it, or was it entirely fabricated for the simulation? And what happened to the real Morgan? is all of that just sequel fodder or is there secret info to uncover or something?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

incoherent posted:

Separate post for spoiler territory.

Post credit talk: What do you think we are? Body morgan with all those typhoon mods, a clone with composite memories, or a hybrid of some such?

Alex mentions injecting more "Morgan line cells" so I'm assuming you're Typon material basically molded around Morgan's DNA to give yourself shape (hence why your arm becomes human when you give Alex the handshake) combined with his memories being fed into whatever passes for a Typon brain during the simulation. I'm hoping you aren't just body morgan that got taken over or something, would be cool to actually meet the 'real' Morgan in the inevitable sequel.

I think the little flashes you get that are I guess your Typhon self breaking through telling you to kill them all/they're lying to you are really dumb in retrospect, because Alex and Morgan's research says that the Typon kill indiscriminately because they literally cannot empathize with other beings and thus cannot comprehend what they're doing as bad, so why would the Typhon be actively like "MURDER THEM ALL"? I dunno, it seems to make them more inherently sinister which is lame as gently caress to me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Nightmare are actually chumps if you have some decent Psionics. I killed three by just jump jetting around like a loon running around while psychoshocking it for 1/5th of its HP periodically. They don't drop anything really good though. RIP.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

if you like crazy sequence breaking, DraQu has a 44:06 speedrun up

Watching him suck up invisible walls via GLOO + Recycler charges is really funny to me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are Weavers the only thing that can cause that? I don't think I ever saw that status effect otherwise.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Yes. How do I turn it off so it does not appear in the game at all, is what I am asking. I will yank this videogame apart and strip out all the vignette effects until I find the right one if I have to.

Shows up in pretty much every fight with more than one enemy for me, especially when there are mimics involved. It's pretty obnoxious.

Odd. Maybe my game was bugged or something because I literally never encountered it outside fights involving Weavers. And even then it was like three times.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Space Hamlet posted:

Which of the above posts is true? Real mindfuck

I've only experimented a little bit with killing January in the early parts of the game, but there seem to be a multitude of specific ramifications - I noticed that the security chief tells you to work your way arboretum when you try the main elevator instead, and that January being dead means she won't kill December when she tries to meet you in the neuromod division. December is not as talkative as January, but she says then that she'll contact you when you get to Alex's office - I haven't seen how that plays out.

I'm guessing that they'll unlock Alex's computer early so you can extend the drawbridge and get the bad ending...Not that you couldn't GLOO your way there normally but whatever.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 8, 2017

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I just wanna drop in and say that I applaud Arkane for making the audio logs like SS2 and have them be for the most part actually logical, in both their content and where they're found. One of the dumbest parts of Bioshock was finding random peoples monologues about super secret or important things in a bathroom or some other nonsensical location.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I like that the DnD game is a running thing through the whole game rather than just in a single lab, it really drives home what massive nerds live in the station.

That, and the nerf crossbow being on like every other computer got a good chuckle out of me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

n4 posted:

Question about the ending: why the gently caress are they operators and not people?

This is entirely speculation but I assumed that it was meant to show that, despite it being a simulation those robots were also 'logged in' and acting out the roles of those people who maybe didn't exist in the real world, since all of them existed basically to test if you had empathy for living things or not. Of course this makes less sense given Alex, so maybe I'm entirely off base. :shrug:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Lakbay posted:

Is the increase PSi pool a human skill? Thinking about doing the Typhon only run but it's weird that would be under the human skills and not alien

It makes sense when you think about it, Humans naturally have psionic aptitude according to datalogs, we just couldn't do much with it without Typhon stuff.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You know it's a super minor thing in the grand scheme of things but I actually really enjoy how opening sequence (pre-getting knocked out by gas) IS actually in the neuromod division physically. It would have been easy for them to have it be a separate map and put you in the 'set' after you woke up. But they did infact make an entirely functional sim lab, and that's awesome.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

More opening stuff: I also found out you can escape via breaking the aquarium in the hallway rather than breaking the glass in your room. Neat.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I thought the voice acting was very good in general. Male-January has this great dispassionate affect going on that's very much robotic but still different than the usual "beep boop i'm a robot" thing in games.

Yeah I felt the same way.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Regarding the side quest to leave the station in Alex's private escape pod, I assume the only way to get up there is to get the neuromod that teleports you a short distance and leaves a copy where you were standing, maybe upgraded to the second level for greater teleport distance. I got up to Alex's office through some creative gloo climbing, but there's a big gap between the roof of his office and the platform above it where the escape pod is actually located. It seems far enough away that no amount of tricky jumping or gloo stairs will let me get over there and I don't see a switch to lower a ramp or anything like that. Not even sure if it will be an actual end to the game or if it will just have a cutscene where Alex tractor beams me back to the station or something like that, but I want to wrap up the sidequests I have right now before progressing in the story.

It seems like there's something really obvious I'm missing.

You can hop up on one of the wooden walls and then gloo yourself across the railing, that's what I did.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is the sound mixing for the Phantoms really like...low, for anyone? I have subtitles on and I've always seem their little murmurs but I don't think I've ever actually been able to hear them talk.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

DancingShade posted:

I hear them very clearly. You want headphones with good mid range.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD518s which I always thought were pretty good quality. :shrug:

On another note, been playing around again mostly just to gently caress around and do stuff out of order, I chose female morgan since I played the male one originally and she's not a bad VA by any stretch of the imagination but female morgan does not have that sort of sinister edge male Morgan had in his audio. January sounds way lamer because of it too IMO.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I wish there was another melee weapon you could get. I have fond memories shanking Hybrids to death with the laser rapier in SS2.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Lakbay posted:

Who talks you through the main quest then? Or does the fabricator just make another January

He's dead for good so you never get those calls. Apparently December lives as well but I dunno what they do exactly.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Palpek posted:

Also if you kill January, does it mean that December's side quest continues in a different way as it doesn't get killed?

Someone here said that he doesn't get blown up and that he says he'll meet you in the arbatorum or something, so it either branches entirely or it just provides an easier way to getting the bad ending

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Question about some of the dialogue variants in the ending. Does Igwae always say that you must have thought you were dreaming? I'm not entirely sure what that means but he mentioned it in mine, something about how I didn't seem to act as if any of it was real. I'm not sure what I did that qualifies as that. I had high empathy fwiw, but not the highest somehow despite saving everyone(?)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Hmm, Alex said that to me.

Ah, I reloaded my save and it was Alex, I just had it mixed up in my head.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Couple things I was thinking about (ending related) Does anyone know what version of Looking Glass is running in the main game? The version that the actual sim is running is 3.5, it's a minor detail but I'm curious to get at least a small sense of how far in the past the talos 1 incident was.
Did anyone else actually have to stop and think about the ending choice? I was highly suspect that it was a sim since I got the December ending earlier but even then, despite being basically all gung ho with Alex's plan, when I had him and January arguing at the Nullwave transmitter I actually spent a good 5mins unsure if I should continue or blow up the station, or hell just leave with the others. I decided eventually that the nullwave was the 'correct' thing to do, since blowing the place up would still have those people escape since i saved Dahl, and January said no one can get back to earth without ruining everything. Although I did see that you could be the ultimate loving rear end in a top hat and blow up the shuttle from the upstairs bridge computer, dashing everyones hope of escape.

And then finally.. I saw some talk earlier in the thread that you can find a decent amount of audiologs that show you all of the different personality shifts Morgan went through due to his constant Typhon mod testing but I don't think I ever found any of those, other than the one for the Whistleblower quest.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The animation is so awkward, that's my issue with it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mymla posted:

What did I find?

Where did you find that?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

RatHat posted:

How big of a deal is turrets attacking you? Should I save going full alien mods for a 2nd playthrough?

90% of the turrets you find are busted, it's not a big deal at all. And you can hack them before repairing and they wont fire on you.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ending spoilers: Speaking of the LG, so we have 2.0 in game, 3.1 in the escape early ending, and 3.5 in the 'real' ending. Is the verison different if you go the full murder path? I was told that the ending scene is slightly different and they decide to put you back in on that route, so I'm curious how early/late in the tests that is.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Jan posted:

And yet they couldn't plug female Morgan in the family picture. :argh:

Unless it's a picture from her troubled emo youth days.

The picture is definitely different.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

(endgame) The fact that the operators don't go away if you hack Kaspar is dumb. It doesn't seem to actually do anything at all.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I got the psi bomb as my first typhon ability and probably habitually rightclicked and did 30 damage to myself like ten times across the game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

IMJack posted:

The audio logs being either recorded phone conversations or voice mail messages actually makes sense. The people being recorded are actually talking to somebody and not just recording a diary.

What you mean you didn't enjoy finding Andrew Ryan's secret musings about his mistress stashed in some random bathroom stall?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't buy combat focus or the damage increases and beat the game just fine. Are you upgrading your weapons? The shotgun makes short work of all the enemies with enough damage upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

limited posted:

January is such a dick. 'Did you even hesitate Morgan?'

Yup. Only long enough to read his criminal record, get the armoury code, check it worked, then pull out my shotgun. :commissar:

I think the code is a static one, so that's one guy who won't be leaving Talos I alive during any of my playthroughs, on general principle. :colbert:

For shame.