Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Wait, there are clipping exploits in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Reployer throwing wrenchguy is the best guy :colbert:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Serephina posted:

I just finished unlocking the fourth character (mister shotgun), and was wondering what are some tips to help that you might wanted to have told yourself in hindsight?

The jetpack thruster-enhancing thing (I think it's a chip) is a fairly significant quality of life upgrade, and worth buying on basically every character, in my experience. Getting around faster and easier is useful for escape, attack, and saving time. Hell, you can often just rocket past poo poo. Having well-prepared characters is worth the points; you'll make all those simulation-dollars back in no time.

Pursuant to that: bring a stun gun or some EMP grenades in your starting kit. Jetpack past everything you don't want to fight and simply short out the Typhon gate consoles. The stun gun is more efficient if you plan to double back a lot, but the grenades are much easier to use in a hurry (i.e. while fleeing the moon shark).

You can complete an escape objective nine tenths of the way and then leave the final step for another character to complete. Then the next character can get the ball rolling on some other stuff before making a relatively painless departure. For this reason I'll often hoard food, drinks, and radiation meds if I'm not hard up for inventory space; they're useful in an emergency, and if my rounds happen to take me to the ol' cargo cannon, so much the better!

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 23, 2021

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The ending completely blindsided me because I had read nothing about the game and also finding out I was a Typhon the whole time loving ruled. It's me, I'm the guy who liked the ending

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Megazver posted:

It will be a spiritual sequel to Alpha Protocol.

It'll be a "card battler survival roguelike" with incredibly grindy metaprogression, requiring dozens of failed runs to unlock things before it's possible to win.

Serious edit: I kinda feel like they caught lightning in a bottle with Prey. Not sure we'll ever see its like again.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

With regards to the player choice discussion: Dishonored almost did something really cool with that spooky heart that tells you secrets about people, but AFAIK a guard who rampantly beats the poo poo out of his wife doesn't affect the chaos level any differently from a guard who feeds the pigeons when he thinks no one's looking or whatever. If they did, though, it might be interesting to see what players made of that. It could enable sort of a lurking vigilante run where you listen to the heart before picking off the sentries, doing your best to spare the relatively decent folks (and perhaps going out of your way to actively murder the incredibly foul ones).

Of course, that would be complicated to implement, would likely involve game designers making a bunch of delicate and potentially controversial moral judgments, and would be almost completely contradictory to the way the games handle the assassination targets :v:

On the same note, I really liked how Luca Abele was handled in Dishonored 2. There's a reason why simply murdering him creates much more chaos than the alternative, and - crucially - you can access a clear, coherently logical explanation of that context during the mission itself.

I guess what I'm saying is that moral choices like that feel much more meaningful when they're contextual, rather than being simple adjustments to some unseen karma score. You care what happens to Serkonos because it's full of innocent people, and because its stability and prosperity will also affect Dunwall; on the other hand, you also have every reason to despise the Duke and want him dead.

Choices like that are almost impossible to set up in a game like Prey, because almost everyone is already dead and you're just trying to survive in a haunted space station full of scary aliens. I genuinely don't think Arkane was trying to create a similar dynamic, though. I think players heard the warning about the turrets and had the (unfortunate, but understandable) thought: "ah, this must be like Dishonored! I'd better avoid using too many Typhon mods or I might lock myself out of the good ending."

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

They did exactly that in Dishonoured 2 -- they noticed that people were making decisions about who to kill and who to spare based on what the Heart said about them, and wanted to make the chaos system less simplistic, so in Dh2 they gave the Heart's insights actual mechanical weight. Here's an interview with the creative director where he talks about that mechanic.

I have completed Dh2 multiple times and still somehow did not know that :stare:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I found it both fun and effective to simply start out as the escaped test subject guy, explode everything with my mind, and pile everything I didn't need (medkits, most ammo, most weapons, spare materials, etc) in one of a few convenient stash containers for other characters to raid later on. It feels a bit meta, but it's a lot less meta than crafting a million glitch hourglasses, and there's something kinda satisfying about the narrative of all these different people finding caches left to help them and deciding to pay it forward.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Weird West's gameplay feels kinda shonky at times since it's one of those weird isometric real-time action-RPG hybrids, but it definitely tries some interesting things. I do like that indiscriminately wiping out "bad guys" has believable consequences, like creating ever-escalating vendettas or causing the towns they run to become even more brutal and lawless.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

aniviron posted:

There's also the log where Alex says basically hey we want to try experimenting on a typhon to see if we can make one have empathy and understand us, if only we had some way to train it so that it could have a link between our worlds. Almost everyone I know who guessed the twist did it there.

I might be misremembering since I'm way overdue for another playthrough, but I believe there's also a weird log you can find (somewhere near the room with the "not a mimic" sticky notes, iirc) that details another scientist's proposal for the means of achieving that, and it sounds kinda weird and abrupt when the conversation ends with Alex going "nah we're not devoting resources to this." I wondered about that at the time, and ever since seeing the ending I've had a pet theory that that log (i.e. the memory thereof) has been edited to remove statements which would immediately make the captive Typhon realize it's in a simulation.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Then you play Mooncrash, see another Yu's storyline play out the same themes except now it's a Yu being sacrificed for the family's gain, and realize that they're an entire family of absolute monsters

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Neuromods emulate the entire process of learning a skill. Once you're modded, using your new ability is second nature, as though you've been doing it all your life. So yeah, Morgan's supposed to just instinctively use Typhon powers during the test. They might freak a little if they think about it after the fact, but in the moment it presumably feels perfectly natural.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Happiness is: oneshotting a Poltergeist by throwing a refrigerator at it from a distance.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Now we just need the Ultima: Underworld remake to be announced :corsair:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Not like this. Not like this :negative:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

It's also really interesting to do a Typhon-mods-only run. You have to be insanely careful in the early game since you're a noodly weakling with no skills, but once you get your hands on the Psychoscope and unlock Typhon neuromods, things start to get a little more even. You're still slow, fragile, and incapable of heavily upgrading or doing extra damage with weapons, though - and you can't repair or hack turrets! It's a very different experience especially in the cargo bay

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Arc Light posted:

I want to do a run without any neuromods at all, but then I think about the nightmare and ugh

Yeah you pretty much just have to bolt to another area and wait out the timer in that case. It's still a really interesting experience though. Never printing neuromods - and recycling the ones you find - leaves you with an insane amount of spare materials, and encourages you to use shitloads of ammunition and consumables (especially turrets and grenades). Stealth remains important and worthwhile for the whole game, inventory management is SO important, and toe-to-toe combat will often simply kill you. As a result, you'll find yourself doing cunning poo poo like leaning around a corner to stun an enemy, planting a recycler mine at your feet, and backpedalling to a safe distance while you swap to the shotgun just in case the mine doesn't do the job.

I would never recommend it for a first playthrough, but a no-mods run is a fantastic way to experience Prey as a purely survival-horror game. poo poo gets tense, especially if you turn on the survival options like oxygen leaks and lasting injuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Red Crown posted:

my only regret is that I couldn't figure out a way to free the mind-controlled humans, even though I was blowing up the station. Does killing the telepath nearby work?

Yes. Using the stun gun to knock them out also works, and if you have the right neuromod, I believe you can counter-mind-control them as well