Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I don't think you can blame Bethesda for that. Dishonored was Arkane's big breakthrough, so naturally, the pressure is on to deliver a sequel. D1 hat a lot of time to change and mature, but D2 felt rushed in comparison.

I don't blame them for keeping familiar characters, both because it keeps fans oriented, and because they themselves have grown attached to their creations.

But making Emily as Empress the protagonist runs contrary to the theme of D1, that the Outsider chooses the downtrodden innocent as his playthings. Both Emily and Corvo are very much at fault for the events of D2. Emily was a bad ruler, and Corvo was even worse as a spymaster.

Delilah and her group have been plotting for years to do their little coup. Emily and Corvo have no idea of the state of her Empire, Emily obviously has no support in her own capital, or else she wouldn't have to ignominiously flee with a complete stranger. This is all just a function of the gameplay requirement to get her to Karnaca ASAP, but it's bad writing, and it undermines the narrative.

Emily has been avoiding her duties as a ruler, and been parcouring across the rooftops instead. Now she's been Dishonored, and must prove she deserves to be Empress - by avoiding her duties to rally the people, and parcour across rooftops instead.

And making Corvo a playable character is a similarly exasperating decision. I can fully understand the urge to bring him back, voiced by Stephen Russell, no less. All the old powers are back, for a separate playthrough!

Except that to make that work, all the character writing had to be extra generic and impersonal, to work for two extremely dissimilar characters, who would have needed completely different narrative arcs. They've completely shot themselves in the foot with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There are some respawns on area transitions. I explored a lot of the outside when you can first do space walks, and whenever I returned to engineering to offload loot, there was a fresh teleport phantom there.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Prey has the best Easter eggs.

https://gfycat.com/baggydeficientcaecilian

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
If you mimic a toilet paper roll and jump into the bowl, a Poltergeist will spawn and flush it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Is there a generalized ImSim thread? I cant find on...um, in the thread index?

I don't think so. But since we're using this, there was an interesting detail in the recent Arkane Q&A: In its earliest iteration, Dishonored was pitched as an official Thief sequel, but they couldn't close a deal with Edos/Square Enix.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
That's the article, in case you want to read it for yourselves.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-06-01/arcane-s-redfall-misfire-for-xbox-panned-after-7-5-billion-microsoft-deal

It's a shame, but the writing was on the wall. Dishonored 2 didn't come together was well as the first one, and then Prey wasn't a success. Deathloop was stylish and fun, but was already lacking depth.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
One aspect of the story that remained underdeveloped was that both Morgan and Alex were mass murders. You have that shunted off into the optional Mikhaila sub-plot, along with the various whistleblowers that got murked on the station. You never get to confront anyone about this because you're cursed to be a silent protagonist.

You can tie that back into the ending by killing Alex not because he failed in making phantom-Morgan empathetic, but because he succeeded, but that's in the player's head-canon, the game leaves it entirely open-ended.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Morgan was brought into the neuromod program after it was well underway. But he got very involved with it before they started the memory reset experiments for the first time.

Alex, however, set it up in the first place.

It's also interesting that Alex set up the sim, so he got to white-wash his own role and motivation to an unknown extent.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

While totally hypothetical it's interesting to ponder how an Arkane-developed game in an established IP would sell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS49Dazin3E

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

Happiness is: oneshotting a Poltergeist by throwing a refrigerator at it from a distance.

The extasy of cold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Dyz posted:

Time basically stops while youre aiming some of the typhon powers so you can drop a psychoshock and the three big damage abilities in half a second and obliterate just about anything.

It makes combat focus look like a joke.

You just unpleasantly reminded me that for some reason, during time-freezes like this, remapped controls revert back to the default. Arkane used to be good about not making absolutely basic gently caress-ups like this, but it never got patched.