Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Did they not cover Prey at all at E3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You're supposed to get the full Typhon suite, but January switches it out with whatever the neuromod equivalent of a sugar pill is. That's why you remember the test going sideways, there weren't any neuromods to remove so you kept your memories.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Palpek posted:

I wonder how much better it would sell if they went with a -Shock name and marketed the game for what it is. The knee-jerk response would be 'a lot better' but I'm not sure how much sway this legacy really has on the mainstream market.

It would still be a cult game on a AAA budget

It's easy to be salty when a shittily designed cash-in jankfest like Friday The 13th can storm the charts on the strength of a brand name and the thinnest of multiplayer conceits. Would not be surprised if this is the year online gaming finally does to immersive sim what it did to cinematic RPGs

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

What did online gaming do to cinematic RPGs? You're thinking Anthem/Destiny?
More or less. Single-player RPGs are basically the domain of the indies now. Bethsoft proper might be the exception but it's hard not to imagine they won't try for some sort of asynchronous Destiny / Dark Souls mechanic for their next tentpole.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Digirat posted:

e: But I feel like you are seriously forgetting the witcher 3 here

One game every three years does not an industry make

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

In that case we can look forward to 5 games per every 9 year cycle

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Do games ever become sleeper hits or is that only a tv/movie thing
Bethesda is not in the cult classic business. All the great non-Bio/Bethesda RPGs are cult classics, aka failures that nerds loved anyway

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

sean10mm posted:

Like Witcher 3?

I said "great"

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Bioshock had much poorer enemy variety than this game

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Call of Duty hasn't sold to expectations in awhile. Look to Destiny for the industry's immediate future.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I see immersive sim goons continue to be constitutionally incapable of regarding a troll with unseriousness

It's like they're so tired of making their case only to themselves that they'll take literally anyone else

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

As mistakes go, that's a pretty significant one.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

I don't think that it was supposed to be a twist, you can get the bad ending and find out pretty early into the game, all things considered.

Yeah the plot is laid out the same way as the rest of the design. You can easily break sequence and the game doesn't really care

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

Are there actually any of these? The only sabotage I can recall was performed by humans under the control of Telepaths or machines under the control of Technopaths. They both work by forcing their victims to empathize with the Typhon, not actually directing their actions.
The things mind controlled dudes say directly contradicts this

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'm finally playing through Dishonored 2 and (a) the relative lack of stealth focus kind of hurts Prey in retrospect and (b) Arkane has, if not the best level designers in the industry, then the most radical.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Some exo abilities make the game a lot easier but it's not like Dishonored where the game is drastically different without them

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Going back through for a third(ish) playthrough after tearing through Dishonored 2, and I'm really missing the strong stealth elements of that game. The nature of mimics make passing through areas unnoticed essentially unworkable.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

In my current run I encountered "Will Mitchell" and after acquiring his culinary award he took it, mumbled "I won't fight you", and locked the kitchen up tight. I have a feeling I'm going to have a bad time.
If it seems like you can stop something from happening in this game, you can.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

yes

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'm not sure where everyone's getting the idea that ‪Morgan is a hero in the Real Timeline. Granted it could be that January Morgan, who was all about stopping the Typhon by any means necessary, was the one who lived through the disaster.

But everything that we learn about Morgan suggests that she was, if anything, more lacking in ethics than Alex, and in any event she's ultimately responsible for everything that happens. It's stated that Alex is a mechanical engineer of comparatively modest skill, and that exploitation of the Typhon was Morgan's obsession. And it's heavily implied that Alex worships Morgan and his doomed drive to salvage the neuromod project in the face of overwhelming disaster is basically him being dutiful to what his brilliant sibling originally intended before the neuromods started changing his personality.

My read on the ambiguous fate of Morgan is that she was always the stone cold version of herself. That would make the most sense given the conceit of the simulation's test - If Alex wanted to determine a Typhon's true potential for empathy, it follows that he'd imbue it with he memories and personality of Morgan, a human completely lacking in that quality. If Typhon-Morgan proves empathetic, there's no way it's a false positive. January and December / the rescue scenarios are floated as test choices.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 28, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

I hate all these fake videogames we get nowadays. I much prefer the real ones.
I'm having extremely satisfying flashbacks to nerds getting mad about the Bioshock punchline

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'm not assuming a full standalone ala the Dishonored xpacs, I'd just as soon assume the survival mode is forthcoming

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If they're going to do the Arkane standard DLC I'd assume it'd be Elazar during the initial outbreak. But with Prey's creative director gone I wouldn't expect anything too ambitious - any time a high-level executive leaves a company it's typically bad news for the projects they represented, since they're usually the one person who could advocate for them to the money men. That's how games get canceled

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

fwiw

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

he's like "oh you did my job for me, let's team up and murder these last couple of dudes" and gives you access to a room with survivors in IT that is otherwise inaccessible.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Rangpur posted:

What's a good source of synthetic material? That seems to be the real sticking point when it comes to fabrication. I finally got the Q-Beam all the way upgraded but making the ammo is another story.

ask yourself how many spare parts and suit repair bits you really need at any given time

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

No you hit them with your souped up stun gun til they lie helpless on the ground

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Konig posted:

1) Tried starting on normal but my FPS skills are extremely lacking on the PS4 (and the PC to be honest) and I end up taking crazy damage against anything I don't savescum and super prepare for. Does this ease up with more skillz or should I drop to easy and just enjoy the ride?
Others might tell you different but without a real stealth option (thanks to chameleon enemies everywhere) normal should be fine. Prey is not a run-and-gun Bioshock kind of RPG hybrid, you need to scout your enemies before you fight them and up to the point where you get into the alien powers and / or the Combat Focus power, you're rear end is toast when you're swamped by more than one phantom more or less by design. Take things slow.

Konig posted:

2) I don't know if I'm going insane, but I'm CERTAIN I searched the Lobby bathrooms and there definitely wasn't a dead guy that had GLOOed himself a nice hidey hole in the ladies' toilets the first time. Is that something that can happen, people moving around the place? And can I save him?
He wasn't there before, but no you can't save him. I'm not aware of any other subtle environmental changes (beyond a particular visual effect later on) as you move through the station.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Digirat posted:

Yeah the sound mixing in this game is borked and I couldn't get that loudspeaker voice not to yell at three times the volume of a gun loud enough to cause instant hearing damage in real life

You can shut off the PSAs in the captain's office in the Bridge!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The PC monitor closest to the door has the door lock function open, which conveniently divides the screen in half between "lock" and "unlock" (iirc, all other remote unlocking screens have much smaller buttons, probably because Psychotronics was meant as a primer). As soon as you get the nerf gun you can shoot the door open and enter Psychotronics.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Rangpur posted:

How does the wrench stack up if you go all in on that skill tree? I've picked up the Wrench Critical++ chipset every time I go through the game but I don't know if a guaranteed spawn for it exists.
Against -paths and Weavers it's obviously inadequate, but it's pretty potent against everything as long as you use the right stun / suppression combos.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

IMJack posted:

I think female Morgan had a thing with Danielle Sho but I could be misremembering.
You are, Morgan has the attachment regardless of gender.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

They did that with the primary elevator system but it was sort of a pain to implement. It only really served to impress upon players the interior scale of the station, and did so admirably.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

OTOH it had several of the wildest conceptual level designs ever put into a game

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It’s a really good quest precisely bc it leans on what every game that isn’t an immersive sim trains players about sequencing. Every other kind of game tends to treat the player as a spectator watching an interactive film, such that even when the player susses out an upcoming betrayal or twist, there’s no way to act on that suspicion until the plot catches the character up to what the player already knows.

Prey plays a trick on players because just about every one of them is going to catch that the cook’s not on the level, but a significant portion of those players are going to walk straight into the trap anyway (I know I did), because as a rule, games go haywire when you haul off and attack a quest giver. They make it 100% obvious and people still walk into it.

It’s just a little tribute to that handful of scenes in Deus Ex that made that game so legendary. It’s not quite on the level of saying “gently caress it” and saving Paul after 6 years of letting him die, but it reminds players to pay attention.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The real solution is to zap a created operator into a disabled state

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Even still, project directors exist to advocate for their projects to the people who hold the purse strings. I hold out a sliver of hope for DLC (hell I’ll take a full implementation of the survival elements) but a second game is pretty much out of the question.

560k, though, is an extremely low number, like Alpha Protocol bad, and multiple platforms multiply expected sales. Alien Isolation sold more than a million copies (release and discounted) and SEGA still killed the franchise, even if SEGA was in a pretty desperate place at that point and had high expectations. Prey could double its PC numbers over a holiday sale (it won’t even sell close to that) and it would still be a failure.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Did they even send advance copies to mouth breathing streamer dudes? If you wanted to cut out game journalists without blowing your own kneecaps out from under you that’d be pretty much your only recourse

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Game reviews are on some level consumer reports (which have always had v cozy relationships with industry across all sectors) and a game breaking bug is a circumstance where you have to really grapple w/ recommending people spend $60 despite it.

At least part of the purpose of sending reviewers pre-gold versions of games was to be able to say “this may not reflect the final state of the product” and get a pass on some level of bugginess. Which you can’t do if you let people actually review the final product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

precision posted:

Also where is the drat tazer, I'm pretty sure I should have found it by now but I just... haven't. I've found like 4 shotguns though!
Second floor of Neuromod testing lab lobby